Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
elebe11y
Freshmen Academy Student

elebe11y is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default For or Against "Online manga scanlations"

Online manga scanlations, a means of getting manga virtually free of the internet for non-japanese readers. Are you for or against? Why? Why hasn't it been fully banned?

-I thought a good amount people like to keep the higher-quality manga. So it acts like advertisment. But I reaserched and found out that as the popularity and size of online manga scalations increased so the American sale rates went down.
elebe11y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
deidara#1
Pun-isher

deidara#1 has completed a tough C-rank mission!deidara#1 has completed a tough C-rank mission!
Default Re: For or Against "Online manga scanlations"

To be honest if I was forced to buy Naruto manga to be able to read it, I would probably not read Naruto at all.
deidara#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

It's unfortunate,but online scanlations are an unintended consequence of the internet, just like youtube videos of copyrighted material and roms for emulators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
ILIKEPIE
ILIKETURTLES
WS-Genin

ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

this is a difficult debate online allows people to read the mangas faster and for free but on the other hand it hurts the manga companies and causing less mangas to be made

Spoiler:

Quote:
pie like pies XD (put this in your siggy and I give free pie)

Kani wuuuuuuz here.
IG was here
ILIKEPIE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
sharingangirl
Genin Elite

sharingangirl saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

I buy the volumes when I can, but I like to be up to date on Naruto and online scanlations are the way to do that.
The youtube debate is a hard one. I mean, on one hand I think we should be able to make amv's without the music being removed, but on another, my friends don't buy music anymore. They just download it off youtube, which is wrong imo. Same with this, we should be able to be up to date, but true fans would buy the manga's, just like true fans would buy the music.
We are humans, not fish. We don't know what kind of people we are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?- Itachi Uchiha

<(((O)))> | | <(((O)))> < rinnegan.
sharingangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
zerosameri

zerosameri just might be Kage someday.
zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

I for one fined it fine, but as long as you compensate the coast with an Naruto related items so it's not 100% free.

zerosameri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Apollo Justice
Genin

Apollo Justice saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

I buy Box sets and the Naruto Manga for collection as well as box sets for other anime so I'm still contributing to the industries. But think about it this way online manga websites got me into other manga/anime so it is somewhat advertising.
Apollo Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

For.

It may be illegal but I'm still cool with it.
I like reading the latest chapters.

I also like actually owning the volumes.

But aren't I reading the scanlations INSTEAD of buying the volumes?

No. I read the scans and then when I can I buy the volumes.
While others may be satisfied with just the scans I'm not.
I want the volumes and I'm happy to pay for the volumes.
Even if you remove the scans all that means is I'm not
going to be able to read the scans. It doesn't mean I'm
all of sudden going to be able to buy all the volumes I want.
My buying the volumes is dependent on how much money I have.
Not whether or not scans exist.

Even as a creator I'm cool with manga scans.
If people scanned/copied my comics I'd be fine.
I don't see it as "losing" anything because in
order for me to "lose" I would have to assume
had my comics NOT been scanned/copied
then it is 100% certain that those who
read the scanned/copied version of my
comic would buy my comic if the
scanned/copied version did not exist.

There are two reasons why people don't buy comics or manga.

1. They can't

2. They won't

Now scans not existing isn't going to change the first one.
If someone is unable to buy a volume then they are unable to buy a volume.

Even the second one doesn't necessarily change with no scans existing.
There are series that I don't think are worth owning. I won't buy them.
Might I read them online? Possibly. But usually if a series is worth reading
it is also worth buying and then I buy it. However other series I'll read
and I don't like them. I'm not going to buy them. Instead of scanlations
think of reading books in stores. That's pretty much what scanlations are.
I use to always read books in stores. I bought some of them. I also didn't
buy others of them. Two things decided if I would buy the book or not.
1. Could I buy it? 2. Is it worth buying? Some books were. Others weren't.

So am I reading scans instead of buying volumes?

No. If I don't buy the volume it's because 1. I can't 2. It's not worth buying.

And again if it's worth reading. It's worth buying.
Though just because I read something doesn't mean it's worth reading.

I suppose there's the argument that if I'm unable to read it before
buying it then I will have to buy it to read it and therefore I will buy it.

However I disagree. Sure in some cases I might "take my chances"
and buy a book I've never read any of it before. But not likely.
Maybe if it has a nice cover I'll buy it (yes I DO judge a book by it's cover.)
and maybe I won't. It's a toss up. However if it doesn't have a nice cover
then I don't buy it. However sometimes books don't have nice covers
but great stories. I read them and I buy them in spite of the bad covers.

I read scans.
I buy volumes.

Peace.

Spam once and the forum will be annoyed.
Spam twice and warnings will be deployed
Spam thrice and a infraction you will receive
Spam 8,984 times and a FAIL Agent you''ll soon be.

...At least in my case.
mrsticky005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
ItachiAnbu
Special Jonin Candidate

ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

I also ready scans and buy volumes.

ItachiAnbu is offline   Reply With Quote