Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #21
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Obama's Birth Certificate

I simple meant in terms of the oaths said and the age requirements, heck, even the fact that the vice-president must be a resident of a different state.

The constitution mostly works because it doesn't say what the government must do, but a few limited things it cannot do. Plus, I think I implied the Supreme Court decision would then be whatever the "rule" would be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #22
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

It's clear that the people who thought (and probably still think) that Obama wasn't born on US soil are either a) xenophobic b) racist c) stupid d) cynically manipulating the above groups e) Donald Trump or f) all of the above.

To any birthers still willing to admit it: there is no glory in any of those groups. Just stop it. Really. You're not just beating a dead horse; you've exhumed the corpse and are now parading it around the town square like some sick freak show -- and the stench is coming off on you.

As to the thread question? It was released because some people just won't give up. The Administration realized that a significant portion of their fellow citizens were idiots, and they wanted to at least make the majority of them feel ashamed for being proud of it. It wasn't for political reasons, because birthers were never going to vote for him and didn't last time either.

--George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Jutsu Junkie; 04-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Jutsu Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #23
Judious
Banned

Judious has been known to deface Sannin monuments in the past.

I'm guessing the first talking-point will be either "we can't clearly read the dr.'s name, until he comes forward to confirm it we should be suspicious" or some variation of "the address listed dosen't even exist anymore (/is an office building now/a vacant lot/owned by someone not related to the president)."

Need to remember to record Saturday Night Live this week though, things should be simmering nicely by then, hopefully they'll have some good fun with it.
Judious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #24
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judious View Post
I'm guessing the first talking-point will be either "we can't clearly read the dr.'s name, until he comes forward to confirm it we should be suspicious" or some variation of "the address listed dosen't even exist anymore (/is an office building now/a vacant lot/owned by someone not related to the president)."

Need to remember to record Saturday Night Live this week though, things should be simmering nicely by then, hopefully they'll have some good fun with it.
Yah. That should be good for a laugh or two, and like you said they've got time to come up with something. They only do two live shows a month now, and I don't really remember if the next one is live or not, but it should be good when they pick up on it.

BTW, to the people who wonder why this didn't happen during the campaign: he didn't have the clout to force Hawaii to do this. As a matter of policy they don't. They had no reason to listen to an upstart first term senator, even if he was from there, and frankly it was an insult that their official papers weren't recognized by everyone (which is a part of the constitution, and why you don't need papers to go from state to state).

--George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #25
jesse uzumaki
Special Jonin Candidate

jesse uzumaki is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

who gives a crop if he is from here or not being born in the USA does not make you a better leader. even if he is from here we all know he did not do a amazing job people had super high expectations on him. at least obama was a educated man with super high grades and graduated from harver unlike bush who had c average grades and was a drunk and was president for 8 years. i know for sure obama is intelligent but i think being president just didn't work for him. i am embarressed to be a american!!!!! how this country reacts to everything obam birth certificate is not important at all we have more important issues than to worry about someone being from here or not. I am also wondering how stupid this country really is if they are taken seriously donald trump is running for president. i should really move to canada
jesse uzumaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #26
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Naah, it was done because it benefited Obama. He has been president for over two years now.

For some reason, he felt he had to do it. That it distracts from currently policy on Libya and the debt increase seems the likely candidate. Contrary to what Obama said even with Trump hounding this issue, only 3% of the news stories where on this. This wasn't serving as a distraction for most people.

As to what that birthers will move on to next.
1. He has dual citizenship, so he is disqualified.
2. The Hospital name was not that in 1961 and was later changed in the 70's. Proof that it is a forgery, I guess. I have no clue if this is correct or not, but I have seen it.
3. Something about an X near the twins triplets response.
4. Why did it take four days to verify from the birth?
5. Lots of stuff about the photocopy and layers and sheet, but it is prety clear this is microfiche printed on official paper, so I won't go through those.

These are some of the things I have seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #27
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

The thing is, shaming people is a useful tool. In and of itself, it won't create votes. What it does is marginalize the birthers further. And because most birthers lean to the right, it makes the president's party look better and the Republicans look like children, because a huge number of them believe the birther nonsense. But Obama was never going to pull birthers into his camp; now that a lot of people are mad about Ryan's budget and yelling at congressmen who voted for it, this adds fuel to the fire. But it's hard to see how this actually translates to electoral victory by itself. It's just scoring points and shaming folks.

But you know, I'd bet a larger portion of the country follows the birther issue than the budget issue, and maybe that 3% story load has and outsized punch in the American living room. After all, while the budget is infinitely more important, it is also dry and opaque to many people.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #28
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Yes, i.e. politics.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #29
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Yes, i.e. politics.
But I actually think it was more personal than political, because even though you might marginalize birthers, it still won't translate into actual political gain. Like I said: those folks won't vote for him anyway, and no one else took it seriously. I think the president just wanted to hit back.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #30
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

If that were the case he would have waited. Noo, apparently he was losing support. Maybe not because people thought he was not born in Hawaii, but that he is so secretive with his records.

George Bush and John Kerry did release their college transcripts after all.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #31
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
If that were the case he would have waited. Noo, apparently he was losing support. Maybe not because people thought he was not born in Hawaii, but that he is so secretive with his records.

George Bush and John Kerry did release their college transcripts after all.
The only people that care about that are conspiracy theorists. You don't become the president of the Harvard Law Review by guessing lucky on tests. Especially not if you are black, Affirmative Action aside. It doesn't happen.

And there was no point in waiting or not waiting, because it doesn't have to do with the political calculation you ascribe to it:

Quote:
It's important to note that the decision to release the long-form birth certificate didn’t come from his staff or advisers. Per our reporting, Obama himself made the decision; it was personal to him. (After all, the politics of this week or the moment etc., would not have dictated a need to do this now.) By the way, he did his best to joke about the entire episode at a fundraiser last night in New York City. "My name is Barack Obama. I was born in Hawaii," he said to applause. "The 50th state of the United States of America. No one checked my ID on the way in." And in a taping on "Oprah Winfrey," which will air next week, Obama said, “Can I just say: I was there. So I knew I was born. I remembered it."

-- Chuck Todd, NBC Chief Political Correspondent
As I said, there's no evidence that this will actually produce political gain for the president. It's just scoring points on a personal matter, because what people are really doing is attempting to devalue him as a person. Even if previous candidates hadn't released their academic records, nobody would care. They care about Obama's records because he's black. It's pretty simple.

--George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Jutsu Junkie; 04-28-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #32
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutsu Junkie View Post
The only people that care about that are conspiracy theorists. You don't become the president of the Harvard Law Review by guessing lucky on tests. Especially not if you are black, Affirmative Action aside. It doesn't happen.

And there was no point in waiting or not waiting, because it doesn't have to do with the political calculation you ascribe to it:
Which is essentially a ceremonially editor and just a student position.. Given that there is not a single article attributed to him while he was there. A pretty clear-cut case of token black member. I would not assume it has anything to do with his academic prowess. According to his New York Times article it was right after his community organizing days. I imagine this was the reason. Black member is one thing, a black that helps the poor is much better.

Waiting would have been to Obama's advantage if the loons were hurting themselves as they did in the last elections. My contentions is that it is starting to hurt Obama more than anyone else. That is why he released it now.

\

Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #33
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

I actually doubt it was hurting him at all. And I don't see how not writing an article makes you a token. Editors don't have to write articles. That's not actually their job. I know; I used to work at a paper where the editor just reviewed/corrected/improved the articles of her subordinates, and didn't write anything. Editorials by actual chief editors may be the fashion in a lot of papers, but it's never been a core part of the job description. Editors write editorials because they have that kind of power, not because they are compelled to do so. You may be confusing an editor with a "contributing editor," which are different jobs.

The famous law scholar Laurence Tribe said Obama was his "most amazing research assistant." How many references do we need? And why suddenly is this an issue? Nobody was doubting his intelligence when they were doubting his nationality. Even if he was only an average student, Bush proved that such critiques are essentially meaningless. It's racism, and it's obvious.

--George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Jutsu Junkie; 04-28-2011 at 10:50 AM.