Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Naruto Discussion Forum > Naruto Manga Discussion

Naruto Manga Discussion All the latest discussions about the Naruto manga (beware, spoilers abound).

Old 04-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Rezeon
Genin

Rezeon is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rezeon is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rezeon is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rezeon is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default Early script drafts and the story that might have been...

I've been glancing around other sites and occasionally notice comments about the early drafts of the story that were changed before print. Some of these changes seem really interesting but I've never seen a thread specifically to discuss them.

So lets take a moment to consider the way the plot line might have been different if those older rejected drafts of the story were used.

The first obvious change was the original pilot for the series, which had a semi-modern setting and no ninjas. With Naruto as an actual supernatural character searching for friendship they would definetly have taken the series in a different direction. However this type of setting would definitely draw similarities to other mangas like Bleach. On a side note, this change might explain the weird presence of certain household appliances early on, while recently shown telecommunications equipment seem to rely on large primitive batteries.

I've also heard about a number of other early ideas (most of which I haven't taken the time to confirm, so take them with a grain of salt).

A big one that I've heard repeatedly is that Sasuke wasn't actually in early drafts of the story, and that the editors suggested Kishi make a rival for Naruto. With the story being completely consumed by the whole Uchia revenge subplot it is safe to say that the plot after the timeskip would be drastically different.

Other common ones I've heard are that during the Pain Invasion arc, Tsunade would have fought Pain, but it got axed due to the editors getting antsy about how long the story arc was. I haven't heard anything official, but I think that the way Kishi handled Hinata surviving and then the mass revival is definetly a sign of a quick script change. The whole point of Naruto letting Pain go would have held a lot more impact if Hinata had actually died... but this one is just opinion.

I've also heard that Team Snake/Hawk was the result of the editors wanting Sasuke to have some sidekicks. Considering Kishi's general reluctance to use them in meaningful ways this doesn't seem far off, especially considering he has already benched them.

Other differences are less pronounced. One early idea I heard about was that the 3rd Hokage was going to be a talking dog, but the idea was tossed out for being to silly. However I think the story still has a few hints of what that might have been like, with the summoned creatures personalities. Suddenly Gamabunta's mob boss type personality doesn't seem so weird.

Another one I heard was that the Akatsuki members were originally planned as being a band of monsters and not humans. This really doesn't seem much of a stretch when you actually look at what these villains do.
-Sasori was first introduced with his puppet using a scorpion tail and weaponized body parts.
-Kakuzu is essentially a five headed tentacle monster.
-Hidan when using his ritual almost looks like the Grim Reaper.
-Deidara has mouths on his hands and spawns exploding clay monsters.
-Kisame has always been characterized as being a shark-man, even more so when transformed.
-Zetsu is still rather monstrous as a plant-man.
-Orochimaru has his snake monster form.
-Konan with her paper angel mode.
-Pain with his unexplained Gedo Mezo summon and his mecha-chair.

The only ones who aren't overly monstrous are Itachi and Tobi, and if you consider Sasuke wasn't originally planned, those two might have never appeared either.

The final one I can think of off the top of my head is Hinata being originally drafted as being a civilian. (I saw some "concept art" of this that looked like it matched Kishi's manga art style at the time, but I can't confirm if it is genuine) She certainly has never been hyped for her combat ability, and having her not be a ninja would play her father's disappointment to the max as well as Neji's angst about being a slave to the main family. The problem would be actually connecting it into the overall plot. The middle of the Chuunin Exams would have to be quite different to compensate for that type of change.

If you guys have any other information about early drafts of the story, then please go ahead and post it.
Rezeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Gouldy17
Genin Elite

Gouldy17 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Early script drafts and the story that might have been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezeon View Post
I've been glancing around other sites and occasionally notice comments about the early drafts of the story that were changed before print. Some of these changes seem really interesting but I've never seen a thread specifically to discuss them.

So lets take a moment to consider the way the plot line might have been different if those older rejected drafts of the story were used.

The first obvious change was the original pilot for the series, which had a semi-modern setting and no ninjas. With Naruto as an actual supernatural character searching for friendship they would definetly have taken the series in a different direction. However this type of setting would definitely draw similarities to other mangas like Bleach. On a side note, this change might explain the weird presence of certain household appliances early on, while recently shown telecommunications equipment seem to rely on large primitive batteries.

that explains a few things like you say the ear pieces and such and im glad that it didnt go down this route imo its better the way it is today

I've also heard about a number of other early ideas (most of which I haven't taken the time to confirm, so take them with a grain of salt).

A big one that I've heard repeatedly is that Sasuke wasn't actually in early drafts of the story, and that the editors suggested Kishi make a rival for Naruto. With the story being completely consumed by the whole Uchia revenge subplot it is safe to say that the plot after the timeskip would be drastically different.

ohhhh i wissh this were true but saying that we probably wouldnt have seen itachi either so it kind of balences the good and the bad imo

Other common ones I've heard are that during the Pain Invasion arc, Tsunade would have fought Pain, but it got axed due to the editors getting antsy about how long the story arc was. I haven't heard anything official, but I think that the way Kishi handled Hinata surviving and then the mass revival is definetly a sign of a quick script change. The whole point of Naruto letting Pain go would have held a lot more impact if Hinata had actually died... but this one is just opinion.

would have been good to see tsunade fight for the first time since part 1 and im not to sure what to think about hinata dieing maybe this is proof that kishi dosent like the idea naruhina???

I've also heard that Team Snake/Hawk was the result of the editors wanting Sasuke to have some sidekicks. Considering Kishi's general reluctance to use them in meaningful ways this doesn't seem far off, especially considering he has already benched them.

i agreee with the you on how he uses them possibly the only 1 who has had a slight impact on the story so far would be karin hopefully we will see her on the good side from now on maybe even by narutos side

Other differences are less pronounced. One early idea I heard about was that the 3rd Hokage was going to be a talking dog, but the idea was tossed out for being to silly. However I think the story still has a few hints of what that might have been like, with the summoned creatures personalities. Suddenly Gamabunta's mob boss type personality doesn't seem so weird.

glad this idea got scrapped...

Another one I heard was that the Akatsuki members were originally planned as being a band of monsters and not humans. This really doesn't seem much of a stretch when you actually look at what these villains do.
-Sasori was first introduced with his puppet using a scorpion tail and weaponized body parts.
-Kakuzu is essentially a five headed tentacle monster.
-Hidan when using his ritual almost looks like the Grim Reaper.
-Deidara has mouths on his hands and spawns exploding clay monsters.
-Kisame has always been characterized as being a shark-man, even more so when transformed.
-Zetsu is still rather monstrous as a plant-man.
-Orochimaru has his snake monster form.
-Konan with her paper angel mode.
-Pain with his unexplained Gedo Mezo summon and his mecha-chair.

ye i have heard this b4 but never thought about all their wierd abilities

The only ones who aren't overly monstrous are Itachi and Tobi, and if you consider Sasuke wasn't originally planned, those two might have never appeared either.

The final one I can think of off the top of my head is Hinata being originally drafted as being a civilian. (I saw some "concept art" of this that looked like it matched Kishi's manga art style at the time, but I can't confirm if it is genuine) She certainly has never been hyped for her combat ability, and having her not be a ninja would play her father's disappointment to the max as well as Neji's angst about being a slave to the main family. The problem would be actually connecting it into the overall plot. The middle of the Chuunin Exams would have to be quite different to compensate for that type of change.

If you guys have any other information about early drafts of the story, then please go ahead and post it.
in red
United's flag is deepest red, It shrouded all our Munich dead, Before their limbs grew stiff and cold, Their heart's blood dyed it's ev'ry fold. Then raise United's banner high, Beneath it's shade we'll live and die, So keep the faith and never fear, We'll keep the Red Flag flying here. We'll never die, we'll never die, We'll never die, we'll never die, We'll keep the Red flag flying high, 'Cos Man United will never die
Gouldy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
zerosameri

zerosameri just might be Kage someday.
zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

I love how Itachi is the only one not on your moster-people Akatsuki thing list. I guess you forgot about his crow thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zerosameri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Vornmusion
Smooth as Sandpaper
Sage of Lemonade
CB Murder Bros & Co.
Urthalre Di Wer Kepesk

Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.
Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezeon View Post
A big one that I've heard repeatedly is that Sasuke wasn't actually in early drafts of the story.
Oh if only.

Quote:
I haven't heard anything official, but I think that the way Kishi handled Hinata surviving and then the mass revival is definitely a sign of a quick script change. The whole point of Naruto letting Pain go would have held a lot more impact if Hinata had actually died... but this one is just opinion.
The whole pain arc was just handled poorly. Had Pain killed people in the village that actually deeply mattered to Naruto it would of made his act of letting Pain go far more powerful. As it is he only had the J-Man, and barely even thought about Kakashi. It just felt weak. Had Sakura and a bunch of the other rookies died, it would of made a far greater impact for Naruto to let Pain go.

But anyways, Hinata should of died. That bait and switch happened so fast it made her whole scene pointless.
Vornmusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Gouldy17
Genin Elite

Gouldy17 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

^ the thing about kakashi...it wanst really the time to mourn kakashi seen as tho they were facing off when he realized and right after he had finished dealing with pain it was kakashi who shown himself to naruto
United's flag is deepest red, It shrouded all our Munich dead, Before their limbs grew stiff and cold, Their heart's blood dyed it's ev'ry fold. Then raise United's banner high, Beneath it's shade we'll live and die, So keep the faith and never fear, We'll keep the Red Flag flying here. We'll never die, we'll never die, We'll never die, we'll never die, We'll keep the Red flag flying high, 'Cos Man United will never die
Gouldy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Kreegah!!!
Special Jonin Candidate

Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Kishi himself admitted to that part of Sasuke not being there at the beginning. Mentions it several times in the tankobon.
Kreegah!!! is offline   Reply With Quote