Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Naruto Discussion Forum > Naruto Anime Discussion

Naruto Anime Discussion General discussions about the Naruto anime series. Do not spoil content that has not been aired in an episode in this forum!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Varist
Freshmen Academy Student

Varist is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Sasuke's Hidden Motive

Before reading below, understand that while a heavy amount of what follows is speculation, including the title of the post topic, an equally-heavy amount of spoiler content is referenced (depending on where you are in the series) to support the following speculation.

---

BACKGROUND AND REASONING:

Sasuke has demonstrated a significant level of hatred for Konoha ever since Chapter 400 of the manga.

The reason boils down to this: Konoha's leaders at the time (Homura Mitokado, Hiruzen Sarutobi, Koharu Utatane, and Danzō Shimura) of Itachi's slaughtering of the Uchiha clan were responsible for the pain Itachi suffered during his life.

Sasuke's original goal was to avenge his clan by killing Itachi;

once he heard Madara's version of the events—which, with the exception of the lie about the Kyuubi attack being a "natural occurence", we have little supported reason to believe is false—Sasuke changed his mind.

Sasuke's goal after that point was to avenge his brother by destroying Konoha. This can be gathered from the sobbing that occurs in chapter 402 of the manga after Sasuke remembers his life with Itachi before his brother's mission and exile from Konoha.

"As Taka, we have only one goal... We will— CRUSH KONOHA."

Later chapters reveal that, in addition to slaying Homura, Koharu, and Danzō, Itachi will destroy the rest of the village, believing them just as culpable as their government.

Sasuke believes that, "'Itachi is dead so they [the people of Konoha] can stand there laughing! They're laughing because they know nothing!' - Chapter 484".

Following chapters make it clear that Sasuke appreciates none of the memories he had with Team 7. The reader can believe that Sasuke's feelings are deadened for anyone but his brother.

In Chapter 400, Madara states that Itachi's traumatized childhood resulted in "a peaceful man who hated conflict."

If a man can truly base his life on only a single goal, certainly he requires at least an ideology behind that goal. Sasuke's ideology is his brother's.

Sasuke has been informed of Madara's Tsuki no Me Keikaku, a plan to bring about peace through the use of a worldwide genjutsu; Sasuke also knows of the Fourth Shinobi World War that Madara has provoked. It is also clear that Sasuke doesn't particularly like Madara and is only working with him to get to the elders of Konoha, the same way he used him (not like Madara minded) to get to Danzō

The clans of warring shinobi that made up the world "over 80 years ago," which terrorized the world with perpetually-waged war were finally quieted by an alliance between them, forming more centralized units in the form of Hidden Villages. War became far less common.

SPECULATION AND REASONING:

Now, in the Fourth Shinobi World War arc,

The villages of warring shinobi that have made up the world for the last few decades, which war and spy on other villages, are now finally being quieted by an alliance between them, forming a centralized unit called the Shinobi Alliance. War is being waged against a mutual enemy—The Akatsuki.

This new height of international cooperation and cohesion is as revolutionary as the Senju-Uchiha truce. After the war is over, will they really go back to being warring villages? There will still be conflict between them, absolutely, just as there still was conflict after the village system was set up. But it will be far less frequent.

Like Itachi, what if Sasuke means to be a martyr? An "international criminal" that the shinobi can band against, just as they have banded against Madara now.

"You can also obtain the same Mangekyou Sharingan as me.
But there is a requirement.
You must kill... Your closest friend."

"I'm not like you... I will obtain power in my own way!"

Sasuke has proven that the only person he cares about is Itachi, and through his own chaotic method, he is becoming what Itachi was for the sake of peace.

---

I thought it was a cool thing to notice. In a few more chapters, however, with Sasuke getting his new eyes, Kishimoto will probably disprove everything above depending on what happens in Konoha. Feedback appreciated.

Last edited by Varist; 04-09-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Forum glitch
Varist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
deidara330
Mr. Serious

deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.
Default Re: Sasuke's Hidden Motive

Well-written, supported, and punctual. I approve this theory.

But I disagree with it. See, personally, I think Madara is controlling Sasuke in a way similar to the way he controlled Yagura. My reasoning is that when he fought Killerbee, Sasuke remembered Team 7 briefly before activating the Amaterasu and saving his team's lives. If he remembered that, and those old feelings of friendship rose back up, why did he systematically betray every member of his team when he went to the Gokage Summit? If you look at it, the only major thing that happened between fighting Killerbee and entering the Summit was meeting Madara in the forest.

Madara told Sasuke that he had another task for Sasuke, yet if you follow the discussion, Madara never tells Sasuke to do anything. Sasuke hears about the Gokage Summit and "decides" to attack it. Madara didn't give Sasuke any order, but why? Because he manipulated Sasuke into doing exactly what he wanted Sasuke to do. He later tells the Gokage that he sent Sasuke there, even though we know he never gave Sasuke the order. Despite Sasuke's apparent wish to only fight Danzo and not the Gokage in particular, he ends up fighting every one of them but Danzo, which is what Madara himself wished.

On the way to the Summit, Sasuke told Jugo he wanted to test something, and later it was revealed to be the Susano'o. Madara tells the Gokage that eyes that awaken the Susano'o are rare, but how did he know Sasuke awakened it if he wasn't there? He sent Sasuke there and watched Sasuke, because through whatever genjutsu he has he told Sasuke to test the Susano'o. Later, when Sasuke fought Danzo, he betrayed Karin and cut through her to get to Danzo. Madara, watching on, says to himself "Good..." as though this is what he wanted. Why would Madara want Sasuke to betray Karin? I would think he wants Sasuke to remove anything he may have ties to so Madara's hold on him can grow stronger, and that's what he did.

For a few conversations and meetings, Sasuke wouldn't simply do everything Madara wanted him to without being told, so I think Madara is controlling him via Genjutsu.

Although, I do agree that world peace will be made through this war. Not because of Sasuke, but rather Madara, who leads the Akatsuki.
deidara330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Varist
Freshmen Academy Student

Varist is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

I don't believe Madara is controlling Sasuke for two, maybe three reasons:

• During the meeting in the forest you referenced (Chapter 453, page 8), when Madara informs Sasuke that Danzō was elected as Hokage, Sasuke is visibly surprised at the fact and disapproves of the direction the village has gone. This concern is uncharacteristic for someone who simply wants to annihilate Konoha. I believe Sasuke simply tells Madara what he wants to hear most of the time. He's become a powerful genjutsu user, so controlling him rigidly should be quite difficult. But that's an area of speculation that's far too vague for me to go on about.
  • When Sasuke and Naruto clash after Danzō's death, Naruto believes they have finally become first-class ninja, because Naruto saw into Sasuke's heart and sympathized with him. I think Sasuke's will really is his own, or Naruto would have noticed that something was up.
  • This one's kind of iffy, but I think Karin would've noticed the changes in Sasuke post Madara-influence. This one really isn't as strong as my other points, but it's a good buffer to throw out on top of them.
Sasuke's betrayal of his team isn't that hard to explain. He's definitely a lot colder now, he met them when he was already drowned in getting revenge, so it figures he would approve of them when they were of help (during Killer Bee's fight) and cast them off when they weren't (post-Danzō killing).

As far as Madara not giving Sasuke a clear order, and Sasuke just knowing, I think I can chalk that up to an inherent fault of the media. You can't ever get 100% of the story on all characters at all times. We weren't shown Madara and Sasuke going over their infiltration plans, but that doesn't mean that they didn't.

Sasuke ended up fighting all of the kages, including Danzō, because that's how events unfolded. Everyone there had a bone to pick with him, while Danzō was just keen on running away. He had to get through the others before he got to his goal.

I'm pretty sure that Madara knows how the Sharingan works better than anyone else. He saw that Sasuke already had the Tsukuyomi and Amaterasu, so it follows that the third and final technique, the Susano'o, would have transferred to Sasuke as well. It also makes sense that, Sasuke knowing he had potential access to this power through his Mangekyou, would plan on having the ability to use it when the time came to fight Danzō.

I'm not sure whether Madara was remarking that it was good that Sasuke was finally becoming ruthless, or whether he was satisfied that Danzō's Izanagi was finally there for the taking. Either way, seeing that his genjutsu was effective isn't the only reason Madara would be pleased.

To wrap it up, and also to clarify, I believe Madara's war set a precedent that Sasuke will follow after Madara is inevitably defeated.
Varist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
bthug
Apprentice Genin

bthug has a dark heart coursing with Dark Chakra

I can see that happening, I also thought he has a master plan like his brother, and in the end he is going to have the entire world hate him just to save them of course he is gonna need Naruto's help....But i think it would be a better story if he remained just a complete jerk and an absolute villain.
bthug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Anything can happen.
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hidden, itachi, madara, motive, non-canon, sasuke, speculation