Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Cyl
Special Jonin Candidate

Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via Yahoo to Cyl
Default Sarcasm over the net.

Is it really easy to figure out when someone is being sarcastic over the net? All you're looking at is the words they're typing. It's not like you can hear them or see their facial expression when they're typing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
D 2008
Special Jonin Candidate

Location: I got lost on the road to life can someone please point me to my house. It is getting cold.
D 2008 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.D 2008 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.D 2008 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.D 2008 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default Re: Sarcasm over the net.

I find it hard to tell sometimes. When I get an text from one of my friends some times I don't know if they are mad at me or not.

"In the ninja world, those who break the rules are scum, that's true. But, those who abandon their friends are worse than scum." Kakashi Hatake

"The Copy Ninja Kakashi the man who copied one thousand techniques ... Is about to go on a rampage!" Kakashi Hatake

Support our troops
D 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Ur Mom
Special Jonin Candidate

Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

A LOT of mishaps have come from the lack of a sarcasm button for me on the net

Ur Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Tsukinomai
Special Jonin Candidate

Tsukinomai saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

It's easy for me after I get to know the person really well especially the way they write for example my friend Zoey she's VERY sarcastic so she's usually like:

Oh, how nice.

That's her response to things that aren't really nice. It's easy to catch the sarcasm with people that you know really well. Sarcasm is easy especially in IMs / PMs.

Tsukinomai

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tsukinomai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
AgentShayd
Leader of the Demon Wolves
A title awarded to one who has become the Member of the Month of March and a great peapod neighbor

AgentShayd completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.
AgentShayd completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukinomai View Post
It's easy for me after I get to know the person really well especially the way they write for example my friend Zoey she's VERY sarcastic so she's usually like:

Oh, how nice.

That's her response to things that aren't really nice. It's easy to catch the sarcasm with people that you know really well. Sarcasm is easy especially in IMs / PMs.
But what if you do not know this person. You are randomly chatting and say something that you consider sarcastic and it offends them? This has happened so many times to me. It is so sad. I am a very sarcastic person, trust me if I want to be serious and mean I will be and you will know it. But apparently a lot of people don't get it. So really it depends.... I would say no the actual question. Sarcasm unless expressed by someone you know to be, is hard to tell over the net or in texts.

Veterinary Technician Friesian Horse Lover

Proud German Shepherd and Pitbull mom!

The Hellion Chronicles: Blood Curse of the Gemini Chapters One and Two release date:
Easter Sunday April 20th2014
"Sometimes bonds by blood are fatal."
AgentShayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
The Virgin
Genin

The Virgin is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

At first, I thought sarcasm on forums are fun and brings spice into any topic. But later on, it becomes too mean-spirited most of the time.
The Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Kaiba
Apprentice Genin

Kaiba is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

That's why I don't use sarcasm whenever I'm on places like this. I'll either be blunt or just won't say anything.

But if people have a way of saying things to certain topics, you'll easily tell if they are or aren't.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Jinchiruuki
Non Compos Mentis

Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

If you know the person then yes you can tell for the most part. If you don't know the person then no you probably can't tell.
Jinchiruuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Kiseki
Release the Kraken!

Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

If you're not sure if people will get your sarcasm...

1. Use a smiley that gives the impression you want to give
2. Only use sarcasm to your friends that know you,
prevent looking like a dummy in front of people you've just met.

Kiseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
ItachiKisame
Special Jonin Candidate

ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

No alot of times I don't depending on how they type it. It is usually hard to tell on here more then it is in real life.
ItachiKisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Danielle
Special Jonin Candidate

Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.
Send a message via MSN to Danielle Send a message via Yahoo to Danielle

Apparently my sarcasm sounds mean, so I try not to use it here at all. =D Likewise, I assume most things said are sarcastic unless otherwise stated...

Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Cyl
Special Jonin Candidate

Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Cyl strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via Yahoo to Cyl

But how can it "sound" mean if they can't hear you? =P

Cyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
Danielle
Special Jonin Candidate

Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.
Send a message via MSN to Danielle Send a message via Yahoo to Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyl View Post
But how can it "sound" mean if they can't hear you? =P
Do you read with a flat tone?

Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
ItachiKisame
Special Jonin Candidate

ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.ItachiKisame completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Apparently my sarcasm sounds mean, so I try not to use it here at all. =D Likewise, I assume most things said are sarcastic unless otherwise stated...
Your right it does sound kinda mean on here.
ItachiKisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
zerosameri

zerosameri just might be Kage someday.
zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyl View Post
Is it really easy to figure out when someone is being sarcastic over the net? All you're looking at is the words they're typing. It's not like you can hear them or see their facial expression when they're typing.
Some times it super simple, if you know the person. If you don't know them, check out the smiley they are using or emotion con.

zerosameri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #16
Gin
Genin

Gin is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

I can never tell. And my sarcasm is apparently really hard to detect in real life, so it reaaaally fails over the internet.

-Gin
Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
CrackFat
Jacqass

Location: i want to be pregnat with ur gardenign seed pink ninja amke me a flower
CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Tch... As if I'd know, I'm NEVER sarcastic.