Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Tsukinomai
Special Jonin Candidate

Tsukinomai saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!
Default Sleep Aids.

Sleep aids help people throughout the world. But my friend and I were discussing how dangerous and addictive they can be. Would you seriously take them if you knew they were addictive? I've taken Tylenol PM once to help me sleep after I broke my leg but that was about it. Do you trust them?

Tsukinomai

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tsukinomai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Vornmusion
Smooth as Sandpaper
Sage of Lemonade
CB Murder Bros & Co.
Urthalre Di Wer Kepesk

Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.
Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.
Default Re: Sleep Aids.

I wouldn't blame someone for taking them, especially those that have insomnia. That said, I never take them. If I can't sleep it's for a reason, find the reason, fix it, sleep. If I can't fix it then I induce sleep onto myself and ponder about it in my dreams. Thus I win either way .

I don't like taking any kind of drug though, prefer to just deal with it myself.
Vornmusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Nine
Herbalist

Nine is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Nine is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Nine is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Nine is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Nine is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Nine is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Send a message via AIM to Nine

Have you ever drunk Codine? It a medicine that get you kinda high, as well as make you sleepy.

Its called Lean over here.

Sometimes I take that to go to sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
naruto_jock
The Asian Sensation

naruto_jock is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.naruto_jock is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.naruto_jock is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.naruto_jock is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.naruto_jock is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

When you take some tylonal pm, would that be considered taking sleep aid medicine? XDDD

naruto_jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Azal
Special Jonin Candidate

Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.
Send a message via Yahoo to Azal

i have to take them alot cus i have migranes often and they are the only thing that can help me sleep which is what cures them

Azal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Vex
Special Jonin Candidate

Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

I've taken gnarly sleeping pills a while back, was a routine thing. I didn't need them either.
But I realized being out for a few days at a time wasn't healthy.

I try to stay away from them now. Ever since I rolled over my half-dead mother & had to call the ambulance due to her OD, it's not something to screw around with.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Tsukinomai
Special Jonin Candidate

Tylenol PM is a pain reliever and a muscle relaxer. I usually took them when I had an injury. I myself have Insomnia but I wouldn't really take a sleep aid. T_T Because chances of getting addicted too them are so high.

Tsukinomai

Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Vex
Special Jonin Candidate

Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Tylenol PM doesn't have the same affect on me as it does you Tsuki, as I've been used to higher powered meds.
I wouldn't really say you'll for sure get hooked on that stuff after taking them right off the bat. I dunno. People differ.

It's good that you don't rely on it even while suffering from insomnia and the like though.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
Tsukinomai
Special Jonin Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex Mikazuki View Post
Tylenol PM doesn't have the same affect on me as it does you Tsuki, as I've been used to higher powered meds.
I wouldn't really say you'll for sure get hooked on that stuff after taking them right off the bat. I dunno. People differ.

It's good that you don't rely on it even while suffering from insomnia and the like though.
Even the simplest meds can be the worse. I usually try to avoid taking meds at all. Like Midol, I refuse to use it. I deal with the cramps like the ladies back in the day used to!

Tsukinomai

Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
WaffleStyleJutsu
Freshmen Academy Student

WaffleStyleJutsu is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Everybody reacts to everything differently. Each medicine will affect people different. In some cases it will be a powerful effect, in other cases only minor. It depends on various factors.

But I feel that we as a society take two many pain pills simply because it's easier than dealing with the pain. While I also understand that some people have a low pain tolerance and the medicine is all they can use to cope.

It's a tough call, but if you truly need it then take it, but if you can do fine without it maybe avoid it?

As for addiction, I've heard of people being addicted to even the most minor of pills, I think it deals more with the philosophy that if you have to take it. Our minds fixate on the routine. But, I'm not a doctor, I just watch too many documentaries o.o
Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Kakashi Hatake_Yamato
Aiding Kakashi, Yamato, & Iruka

Location: Konohagakure, with the people dearest to me. Aiding Kakashi on the battlefield and saving Yamato!
Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

depends on how the people use them, drug abuse or misuse...
its good for medication purposes, but once they get hooked on that stuff, it becomes and addiction for them. its bad...

Kakashi~

\ \ \ \
l\^ ^/l
Yamato~

, / \\
,\^^/
\\---// thnx Edyl
Iruka~

カカシ, ヤマト, イルカ! 愛してる~!
03-02, 13:09 The Immortal Watch Dog
You got Daph Rice, everyone got her
She's one of my psycho's
she's Cults banner girl
[1/7/2014 9:25:36 AM] Tuus Deus(CoP): I know Daph spends all her time staring at Kakashi pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult of Personality
Kakashi pretending to get stabbed by Obito because he's such a nice guy and doesn't want Obito to feel about about sucking so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult of Personality
I would just like you to know that I am awesome.
Quote:
All days are Cult Day.
Quote:
I disagree. The best way to get rep from Daph is to be me.
Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
Err
Special Jonin Candidate

Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

They are fine. I take Nightquil (sp) to help me sleep sometimes but I don't depend on them all the time. I never get addicted to it.
To further the point, we are a social species because we are interdependent. You could count on your hand how many people in a millennium can get by with absolutely no help from anyone else ever. Yet we never work together. That's why ants will eventually bring us down.
Err is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #13
Vornmusion
Smooth as Sandpaper
Sage of Lemonade
CB Murder Bros & Co.
Urthalre Di Wer Kepesk

Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.
Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleStyleJutsu View Post
Everybody reacts to everything differently. Each medicine will affect people different. In some cases it will be a powerful effect, in other cases only minor. It depends on various factors.
This is very true, everyone is different. I have an extremely high tolerance to the effects of medicine and the like, as does my father, my mother however has very little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleStyleJutsu
But I feel that we as a society take two many pain pills simply because it's easier than dealing with the pain. While I also understand that some people have a low pain tolerance and the medicine is all they can use to cope.
Society does take too much medicine, so much so that many types of viruses and diseases we get are becoming immune to the majority of our ways of fighting them simply because we've used the medicine too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleStyleJutsu
It's a tough call, but if you truly need it then take it, but if you can do fine without it maybe avoid it?
The problem with that is that many people simply don't want to bother with the problem and only want a quick fix.
Vornmusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:40 AM   #14
Rasengan-
Chunin Exam Participant

Rasengan- is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Choice, do what you wish as long as you don't restrict others from doing the same thing.
Rasengan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
TheBlackChidori
Special Jonin Candidate

TheBlackChidori is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Awards Showcase

Vicoden and Whiskey = Good night.

In theory, there's nothing better for a good night's sleep then a pain reliever. But take it from me, when you wake up, it's a helluva lot worse then if you'd have stayed up all night.

Weak things like Tylenol PM and Nyquil are one thing. Once you start upping the ante to things like Ambien and high powered Opiates, it gets dangerous.
TheBlackChidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
Temari-san
Chunin Exam Participant

Temari-san is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukinomai View Post
Sleep aids help people throughout the world. But my friend and I were discussing how dangerous and addictive they can be. Would you seriously take them if you knew they were addictive? I've taken Tylenol PM once to help me sleep after I broke my leg but that was about it. Do you trust them?
well sleeping meds have there pros and cons. My mom has been using sleeping medication ever since she was diagnosed with depression 4 years ago. She's never shown any signs of addiction but i understand where you're coming from with a broken leg and all. I trust them if you're diagnosed with a disease or something or if you're not just able to fall asleep at all. other than that, i don't think they are safe for drug abusers and addictees

I love pink floyd, metallica, motley crue, led zeppelin and rammstein. ohh yes <3
Temari-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
lolohwd
Special Jonin Candidate

lolohwd finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.lolohwd finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.lolohwd finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.lolohwd finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.lolohwd finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.lolohwd finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.lolohwd finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.lolohwd finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

i think that they can help people with problems but not abbused or used by regualar fine people having a bad night
lolohwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
Tsukinomai
Special Jonin Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolohwd View Post
i think that they can help people with problems but not abbused or used by regualar fine people having a bad night
Overuse of the sleep aid is a nono. Some people don't realize that. It makes me sad to know that half of the people addicted to drugs were really cool people at one time.

Tsukinomai

Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #19
XxblackxX
Special Jonin Candidate

XxblackxX has completed a tough C-rank mission!XxblackxX has completed a tough C-rank mission!XxblackxX has completed a tough C-rank mission!
Send a message via Yahoo to XxblackxX

I've taken ALPT of sleep aids. Tylenol PM Codine Advil PM mostly cause I have insomnia but they only get me high....

I will not hesitate.
XxblackxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #20
Uchiha_Itachi
Chunin Exam Participant

Uchiha_Itachi is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

I want sleep aids. Literally, every single night since February this year, I wake up several times every night. It really effects me, and its very annoying.