Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Mall > Series Discussion

Series Discussion Got a favorite Anime or Manga you'd like to talk about? Maybe a Light or Visual Novel you think is interesting? Bring it all here!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
nexthokage
Special Jonin Candidate

nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default One Piece

Alright I have just resently got into One Piece. Everyone knows Zolo/ Zoro.

The question I have is that in the anime they call him Zoro while in the manga they call him Zolo. Which is his real name?

I want to know if you are a real fan of One Piece so I can come to you for answers to my questions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For CCS: Herp Derp
From CCS: HERP DERP
3 YEARS ON HERE
Please sub to my youtube channel -V-

Quote:
Wikipedia
On April 1, 2012 at midnight, Toonami appeared to have taken over hosting for the night. While this could very well be Adult Swim's latest April Fool's Day prank, it appears to have returned
I like Bleach so much now and I play CoD
nexthokage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Akainu
Banned

Akainu is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: One Piece

His real name is Roronoa Zoro for both the original Manga and Anime.

Viz and 4Kids changed his name to Zolo but Funimation left Zoro as it is.

But I suggest you read online scans and watch the subbed version.
Akainu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

The actual volumes will have higher image quality and smoother translations.
Now is a great time to read the actual volumes since they are having a lot
of One Piece volumes come out. Also you can read them anytime without internet.
They are about $10.00 a volume...but hey it's One Piece. It's a must buy.

Scanlations come out quicker and are of course free. The translations are more nit-picky and often ends up with words not being translated at all. For instance
instead of Gum Gum Pistol it would be Gomu Gomu Pistol. If you want the latest
chapters then scanlations aren't bad...but if you want to read One Piece the
way it was meant to be read...buy the actual volumes

Spam once and the forum will be annoyed.
Spam twice and warnings will be deployed
Spam thrice and a infraction you will receive
Spam 8,984 times and a FAIL Agent you''ll soon be.

...At least in my case.
mrsticky005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Akainu
Banned

Gomu doesn't translate into Gum...

It means rubber.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akainu View Post
Gomu doesn't translate into Gum...

It means rubber.
True. But Gum Gum Pistol sounds catchier than Rubber Rubber Pistol.

The basic idea is that it makes Luffy stretch.

...At least in my case.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:08 AM   #6
Level6Ninja
Genin

Level6Ninja is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

i also noticed in some online translations they changed Luffy to Rufi. its quite strange, the quality of the scans depends on who is translating them.

Level6Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Akainu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
True. But Gum Gum Pistol sounds catchier than Rubber Rubber Pistol.

The basic idea is that it makes Luffy stretch.
Who cares if it doesn't sound catchy, their job is to translate them, you either translate it or leave it as it is.

You don't just make up random words like Gum Gum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level6Ninja View Post
i also noticed in some online translations they changed Luffy to Rufi. its quite strange, the quality of the scans depends on who is translating them.
Rufi is his proper romaji name, I guess the translators didn't want to change his name to Luffy.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Miles Edgeworth
Special Jonin Candidate

Miles Edgeworth is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Miles Edgeworth is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Miles Edgeworth is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Miles Edgeworth is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Miles Edgeworth is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Send a message via AIM to Miles Edgeworth Send a message via MSN to Miles Edgeworth

4Kids dub has so many horrible translations.

Zoro is the official name, Zolo was some dub crap.

Lol at Gum Gum, such sad dub phrases.

I think they changed names like Ace into Trace in the 4kids dub, why they did that I have no idea.
Miles Edgeworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
mrsticky005

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akainu View Post
Who cares if it doesn't sound catchy, their job is to translate them, you either translate it or leave it as it is.

You don't just make up random words like Gum Gum.
Gum Gum is also easier to match in with the lip flap of the dub than Rubber Rubber is. Also it sounds closer to Gomu Gomu too. There's a lot more to
translation and localization than a strict transliteralization.

Would I really care if it was the Rubber Rubber Fruit instead?

Not really.

I just rather read Gum Gum than Gomu Gomu in the English version.

If I want to read the Japanese then I'll read that.

If they want to learn romaji then they should make it in romaji.

I just rather not read in the English version
"I'm Monkey D Rufi. I ate the gomu gomu no mi."

I'm fine with "I'm Monkey D Luffy. I ate the gum gum fruit."
Or even "I'm Monkey D Luffy. I ate the rubber rubber fruit."

Though even though they say gum gum they still call Luffy a rubber man.

...At least in my case.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
sakura_blossom
Special Jonin Candidate

sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

im pretty sure this as been asked a million times....its zoro
Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Tamagon
Apprentice Genin

Tamagon is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Gomu Gomu can mean "Gum Gum", it is not inaccurate, and in addition, 4Kids did not come up with "Gum Gum" first, that was Viz.
Tamagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
nexthokage
Special Jonin Candidate

nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.nexthokage is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Alright will someone please lock this because it is getting spammy. Thanks guys

For CCS: Herp Derp
From CCS: HERP DERP
3 YEARS ON HERE
Please sub to my youtube channel -V-

Quote:
Wikipedia
On April 1, 2012 at midnight, Toonami appeared to have taken over hosting for the night. While this could very well be Adult Swim's latest April Fool's Day prank, it appears to have returned
I like Bleach so much now and I play CoD
nexthokage is offline   Reply With Quote