Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

View Poll Results: Which do you use/would you use to bag your grocceries
paper 7 58.33%
plastic 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
TheAkatsukiClanPM9999
Chunin Exam Proctor

TheAkatsukiClanPM9999 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via MSN to TheAkatsukiClanPM9999 Send a message via Yahoo to TheAkatsukiClanPM9999 Send a message via Skype™ to TheAkatsukiClanPM9999
Default Re: Paper or Plastic?

Sometimes both.

Spoiler:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

18-0

TheAkatsukiClanPM9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #22
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamabunta View Post
Which do I use most? Plastic. Which do I think are better? Paper. We actually have just as much forest in total area as we did in 1950, because of replanting. Environmentalists only want "natural" forests though. >.>

And yes we also use reusable. Not as much for the environment but to save money at certain stores that charge for bags.
To me, ALL bags are reusable at least once.

Plastic bags--trash
Paper bags---recycling

The reusable bags though seem to be durable which is a plus.

I think that a lot of the "green" things people actually do aren't
because people care about the environment but because some
"green" things actually make sense to do. For instance...

Recycling. It can create jobs for people. Lowers production cost by not
having to get new raw materials.

Unless somehow I'm mistaken about recycling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spam once and the forum will be annoyed.
Spam twice and warnings will be deployed
Spam thrice and a infraction you will receive
Spam 8,984 times and a FAIL Agent you''ll soon be.

...At least in my case.
mrsticky005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #23
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post

Plastic bags--trash
Paper bags---recycling

Depends on what is recycled. Recycled paper for example is just sent overseas or to landfills because no one uses it.

Wooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #24
Gamabunta
Big Bad Bully
Tactless

Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Quote:

Plastic bags--trash
Paper bags---recycling

"Green" products, can be labeled as nothing more than corporations using their critics beliefs to further their own marketing. They aren't really that beneficial and most of them go unchecked on how green they actually are.

Recycling many types of material's takes more energy than producing new ones, and is often less cost effective than going with disposal. There are a few exceptions, such as aluminum, but recycling some things is pointless.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #25
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Depends on what is recycled. Recycled paper for example is just sent overseas or to landfills because no one uses it.
Quote:
"Green" products, can be labeled as nothing more than corporations using their critics beliefs to further their own marketing. They aren't really that beneficial and most of them go unchecked on how green they actually are.

Recycling many types of material's takes more energy than producing new ones, and is often less cost effective than going with disposal. There are a few exceptions, such as aluminum, but recycling some things is pointless.
Ok, lemme ask you this then. Is there any point in having a recycling bin?
Is there any worth in putting soda cans or paper in the recycling bin rather than the trash can?

...At least in my case.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #26
Gamabunta
Big Bad Bully
Tactless

Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Quote:
Ok, lemme ask you this then. Is there any point in having a recycling bin?
Is there any worth in putting soda cans or paper in the recycling bin rather than the trash can?
It has to be a case by case issue. Paper is cost effective to recycle, but there also isn't a high demand for recycled paper because it is lower quality. Aluminum is cost effective too, and there is no reason we should not recycle it. The by product of recycling plastic bottles is not cost effective, nor does it ultimately prevent the plastic from ending up in a landfill, and it has some negative byproducts. Most recyclables fall into the same category as plastic.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #27
mrsticky005

Awards Showcase

Quote:
It has to be a case by case issue. Paper is cost effective to recycle, but there also isn't a high demand for recycled paper because it is lower quality. Aluminum is cost effective too, and there is no reason we should not recycle it. The by product of recycling plastic bottles is not cost effective, nor does it ultimately prevent the plastic from ending up in a landfill, and it has some negative byproducts. Most recyclables fall into the same category as plastic.
Is recycled paper any cheaper?

...At least in my case.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
Looney-Lyra
Miss Naruto 2009

Location: If I'm not in the emo corner, I'm out buying cookies.
Looney-Lyra is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Looney-Lyra is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Looney-Lyra is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Looney-Lyra is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Looney-Lyra is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Looney-Lyra is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Plastic, and I recycle them. ^^ ~<3

^Now taking commissions!^

Taker369 is my slave for all eternity. I refuse to take this out of my sig.

R.I.P RedBlade.

I support the over-use of smileys.
I support the 'Save the Vowels' movement.
I believe in spreading the love. <3

Put this in your sig if you hate editing your sig.

Looney-Lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #29
Gamabunta
Big Bad Bully
Tactless

Quote:
Is recycled paper any cheaper?
I'm not sure.

This reminds me of something. When I was a freshman I went to throw a bottle away and after I put it into a trashcan one of the teachers in the cafeteria saw I did not recycle it. They told me to go pick out and put it into the recycling trashcan halfway across the cafeteria. I turned and walked back towards the trashcan, passed it and went out the door.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #30
mrsticky005

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I'm not sure.

This reminds me of something. When I was a freshman I went to throw a bottle away and after I put it into a trashcan one of the teachers in the cafeteria saw I did not recycle it. They told me to go pick out and put it into the recycling trashcan halfway across the cafeteria. I turned and walked back towards the trashcan, passed it and went out the door.

Awesome.

...At least in my case.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #31
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

A lot recycled material just ends up in landfills. Even aluminum is a close call. People and business recycle because it's mandated and subsidized.

Steel is the one thing that it is very cost effective to recycle; therefore, companies do it.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with reusing things. If you use your grocery bags trash or what have you, then you have saved yourself from buying another bag.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #32
mrsticky005

Awards Showcase

Quote:
A lot recycled material just ends up in landfills. Even aluminum is a close call. People and business recycle because it's mandated and subsidized.

Steel is the one thing that it is very cost effective to recycle; therefore, companies do it.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with reusing things. If you use your grocery bags trash or what have you, then you have saved yourself from buying another bag.

So basically there are two reasons to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle

1. It might be cheaper
2. The government is forcing you to do so even though 1 might be false.

...At least in my case.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #33
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So basically there are two reasons to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle

1. It might be cheaper
2. The government is forcing you to do so even though 1 might be false.
Pretty much. The sad thing is government often subsidizes contradictory activities. Such as cash for clunkers.

Let's all throw away working automobiles that 's sure to save the environment.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #34
mrsticky005

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Pretty much. The sad thing is government often subsidizes contradictory activities. Such as cash for clunkers.

Let's all throw away working automobiles that 's sure to save the environment.
Somehow I don't see how buying a new car will help...

...At least in my case.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #35
queendarkness
Special Jonin Candidate

queendarkness has a spectacular chakra aura going on.queendarkness has a spectacular chakra aura going on.queendarkness has a spectacular chakra aura going on.queendarkness has a spectacular chakra aura going on.queendarkness has a spectacular chakra aura going on.queendarkness has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Send a message via Yahoo to queendarkness

for me, plastic.

''Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results not attributes.''~Peter Drucker
queendarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #36
mrsticky005

Awards Showcase

Paper is winning by 6 votes to 4 votes for plastic.

...At least in my case.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #37
ItachiAnbu
Special Jonin Candidate

ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

9 times in 10, my family will use reusable (cloth) grocery bags when shopping. However, once in a blue moon, we will get plastic bags, so that we may use them when we periodically clean up after the dog in the backyard.

ItachiAnbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #38
mrsticky005

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItachiAnbu View Post
9 times in 10, my family will use reusable (cloth) grocery bags when shopping. However, once in a blue moon, we will get plastic bags, so that we may use them when we periodically clean up after the dog in the backyard.
Cool.

Remember that your vote counts!

(For the poll which doesn't really matter)

...At least in my case.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #39
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Here we go:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/lo...-91731474.html

Apparently, recycling aluminum and white office paper makes sense. Recycling glass is absolutely idiotic. It's not environmentally harmful because essentially it's just sand. It also requires a vast amount of energy to recycle thus environmentally harmful.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #40
mysteryninja
Ninja Academy Student

mysteryninja is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

i think plastic is better than paper.