Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Great Off-Topica > Off-Topic

Off-Topic For anything under the sun that won't fit elsewhere!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Soccer Ninja 21
Special Jonin Candidate

Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Default What does Senpai Mean? And Aniki? And Nakama?

What does senpai mean? I have an idae but i'm not sure....

/////////////
///////////
///////
////
///
//
/

.....O"
...-/-
././

Play Soccer, Or we'll find you.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Blue Belt Best Friend: Lunar
Quote:
Silver's my buttercup! Now you see, and be jealous, be very jealous.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Soccer Ninja 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
*ichigorukiafan*
Chunin

*ichigorukiafan* is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: What does senpai mean?

i think it means teacher.....maybe? lol.

Rukia: This is Chappy: the rabbit.
Ichigo: What the hell is this thing for?
*ichigorukiafan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Natsumii145
Special Jonin Candidate

Natsumii145 saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

I think Senpai is like an upperclassman, someone higher in rank than you.

Team Raikou Sensei: jounin
The "Rick Roll" is the single most childish internet fad ever, anyone who actually finds this garbage funny seriously needs to grow up. Copy this into your sig if you agree
Sai's Bro. You are now the blue part of my siggy. 8D

ϟϟ
Genin of the Hidden Lighting
"The Lightning's Purple Flash"
Natsumii145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

SRhyse just might be Kage someday.
SRhyse just might be Kage someday.SRhyse just might be Kage someday.SRhyse just might be Kage someday.SRhyse just might be Kage someday.SRhyse just might be Kage someday.SRhyse just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsumii145
I think Senpai is like an upperclassman, someone higher in rank than you.
That is the sense of it.

More literally, it means "Proceeding Person." It's a social term in Japanese that refers to the status of someone that's more experienced in doing something you're either doing or would like to, used most often in anime when refering to upperclassmen in school, though it applies within any sort of social system you can advance in, the military or a corporation being another example.

I carries with it the idea that they're your 'mentor.'
My dog Elly FTW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
. Thanks for wanting to help though!
SRhyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Toma RNK just might be Kage someday.
Toma RNK just might be Kage someday.Toma RNK just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Kohai is the opposite. If you are my "Senpai" I am your "Kouhai."

Though it usually has an age connotation, it actually has to do with experience in a given field. 9 times out of 10 this means the older person is the "Senpai."

May 18th 2009: PM Hell... never forget.
Best post ever!

Always remember

Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from evil.
Toma RNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
narutorocks
Veteran Chunin

narutorocks is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomarnk
Kohai is the opposite. If you are my "Senpai" I am your "Kouhai."

Though it usually has an age connotation, it actually has to do with experience in a given field. 9 times out of 10 this means the older person is the "Senpai."
Cool.

"But... but... my paw pads are so soft and supple!"~Pakkun
narutorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Naruto-Uzumaki-25
Genin

Naruto-Uzumaki-25 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via MSN to Naruto-Uzumaki-25

I think it means someone who is superior or has a higher rank or something like that.
Naruto-Uzumaki-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

SRhyse just might be Kage someday.SRhyse just might be Kage someday.SRhyse just might be Kage someday.SRhyse just might be Kage someday.SRhyse just might be Kage someday.SRhyse just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto-Uzumaki-25
I think it means someone who is superior or has a higher rank or something like that.
That's a good way to sum it up too!
My dog Elly FTW:

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
Old 04-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Tracer
Chunin

Tracer is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Tracer

First after a Green NAME!!!!

Senpai means one who is wiser then myself a sign of respect like when working the person who was there before you is your senpai
Bonds; deathkiss23, NARUTARD93, Sage Mode, Bianca.Rodz, 98 Tailed Dragon, Divinegon8, Madness, Itachi-Sama, Vidda Hatake, Sasusaku14, seannfma1, 2hyper4u, Tomaki Inuzuka, sakuraharuno444, perplexing anime, Luna_Uchiha, iGhosti, garraswerewolf, chris, waterlemon-chi, Sasori, kakashi uzumaki, apa, jiveh125
Twitter

YouTube

Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer
Quit doing that !
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

bloking tracer....

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Tracer
Chunin

Quote:
Quit doing that !
Quote:
bloking tracer....
Hate me or love me either way you are still thinking about me! sides it feels great to be first at something!
Bonds; deathkiss23, NARUTARD93, Sage Mode, Bianca.Rodz, 98 Tailed Dragon, Divinegon8, Madness, Itachi-Sama, Vidda Hatake, Sasusaku14, seannfma1, 2hyper4u, Tomaki Inuzuka, sakuraharuno444, perplexing anime, Luna_Uchiha, iGhosti, garraswerewolf, chris, waterlemon-chi, Sasori, kakashi uzumaki, apa, jiveh125
Twitter

YouTube

Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
Soccer Ninja 21
Special Jonin Candidate

Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Soccer Ninja 21 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Thanks guys that's pretty much what I thought it was but I didn't want to say there wrong meaning and embarss myself, thanks.

/////////////
///////////
///////
////
///
//
/

.....O"
...-/-
././

Quote:
Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

As a side note, 'Aniki' is a term they use in the series in a very similar way.

The difference with Aniki, however, is that it's exclusively male, and much more colloquial. Kinda like a Senpai version of 'Bro.' 'Aneki' is the female version of 'Aniki.'
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 04-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

If you are giving japanese lessons perhaps you want to go into detail about the significance of "Nakama" as opposed to "Tomodachi" as it is also quite important.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
Soccer Ninja 21
Special Jonin Candidate

Quote:
If you are giving japanese lessons perhaps you want to go into detail about the significance of "Nakama" as opposed to "Tomodachi" as it is also quite important.
ok you lost me on that one... :?

/////////////
///////////
///////
////
///
//
/

.....O"
...-/-
././

Quote:
Old 04-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #17
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer Ninja 21
ok you lost me on that one... :?
Ill give SRhyse a shot, if he passes ill explain.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 04-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
Tracer
Chunin

Quote:
wow humm yeah...

try proper use of Kun, Saima, Nei-chan
Twitter

YouTube

Old 04-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
Soccer Ninja 21
Special Jonin Candidate

Quote:
Quote:
wow humm yeah...

ya I get those a lot better. kun, anyway

/////////////
///////////
///////
////
///
//
/

.....O"
...-/-
././

Quote:
Old 04-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #20
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
wow humm yeah...

ne-chan - sister or "sis" as it is informal.

Kun - informal suffix typically used on males, -chan typical for females.

Saima means nothing to me unless it is a typo for -sama

-sama is a very formal and respectful suffix, used to give someone great honor or if there is a large gap in social status. For example: Hokage-sama

Best post ever!

Always remember