Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Default Thoughts On The Soda Taxes In US?

I honestly think it's stupid. Since when did Government have to do with obesity? Is it really their buisness?
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Rinslee
Academy Graduate

Rinslee is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Thoughts On The Soda Taxes In US?

Actually, the money that can be reaped in from the soda tax could be used to help to pay the medical costs of treating obesity.
Rinslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Toma RNK completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Since the people can't be responsible, I am all about taxing the stupid.

There is precedent, look at the lottery. That is a tax on people bad at math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May 18th 2009: PM Hell... never forget.
Best post ever!

Always remember

Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from evil.
Toma RNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma RNK View Post

But Government isn't supposed to butt into our buisness unless it's having to do with the law, not other people's personal life.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Rinslee
Academy Graduate

Rinslee is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

The very existence of the government limits our freedom already, though. In this case we should probably let the government butt into our business anyways.

The safety of our personal life depends on the actions of the government. Imposing a soda tax would result in a multitude of benefits- 1. healthier people, 2. increased government revenue, that could help with our national deficit, and 3. a better medical field, if the money from the tax could go towards hospitals.
Rinslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
But Government isn't supposed to butt into our buisness unless it's having to do with the law, not other people's personal life.

States tax cigarettes, gambling, and a slew of other things. We offer tax breaks to industries we wish to support such as the corn industry.

This is nothing new. Right or wrong, fighting the issue on soda is silly. Fight against the corn tax breaks frito lay gets, or other ones to stop the practice.

I agree the practice sucks. But the PEOPLE are demanding the government do all sorts of stupid crap to protect us.

Look at air marshals. They made 4 arrests last year and cost the government 1Mil. That's 200,000 per arrest. Granted they MAY be a deterrant.

The concept is to tax destructive behavior while encouraging stuff we like, such as solar panels and such.

I'm not AS against the soda thing as I am other stuff. I choose my battles. Soda costs a bit more, hardly the fight I am fighting.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 04-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Awards Showcase

Quote:
States tax cigarettes, gambling, and a slew of other things. We offer tax breaks to industries we wish to support such as the corn industry.

This is nothing new. Right or wrong, fighting the issue on soda is silly. Fight against the corn tax breaks frito lay gets, or other ones to stop the practice.

I agree the practice sucks. But the PEOPLE are demanding the government do all sorts of stupid crap to protect us.

Look at air marshals. They made 4 arrests last year and cost the government 1Mil. That's 200,000 per arrest. Granted they MAY be a deterrant.

The concept is to tax destructive behavior while encouraging stuff we like, such as solar panels and such.

I'm not AS against the soda thing as I am other stuff. I choose my battles. Soda costs a bit more, hardly the fight I am fighting.

Damn, you put that quite well...
Old 04-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
JuggaloSasuke
Ninja Academy Student

JuggaloSasuke is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

WT* why are they making us pay taxes on soda. that really grinds my gears.Fack no. I am healthier without soda. it does make you obeste.(sorry for spelling error). I tend to agree with all of you guys on here.
JuggaloSasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
Gamabunta
Big Bad Bully
Tactless

Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

I think that they will cause a lot of people to realize what our new way of life is really going to be about.
Quote:

And Toma, thanks. This is exactly what liberals believe, regardless of whether or not you are one. They believe the common person is not "responsible" enough to run their own life. In other words the common person is too stupid to run their own life. That is the essence of statism.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Gamabunta
Big Bad Bully
Tactless

Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Quote:

You are pretending like the goals of these taxes are to help people with their problems, when in reality they are not. They know good and well making tobacco more expensive will not discourage addicts from still buying it. It's not about helping people, it's about making a quick dollar.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
Nick Tasogare
Special Jonin Candidate

Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick Tasogare

I think it's a Terrorist Plot.

/arranges tinfoil hat

Can Herr SRhyse and Frau Muffintop please remove my staff "powers"? The Mod Rules are a joke and everybody knows it lol I don't follow that last rule well enough, and I don't want to endanger the Communist Rule of the People's Republic of NDF. Thanks.

/Heil

Oh wait, now there's drama so I just have to watch this all blow up.
Nick Tasogare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamabunta View Post
I think that they will cause a lot of people to realize what our new way of life is really going to be about.
And Toma, thanks. This is exactly what liberals believe, regardless of whether or not you are one. They believe the common person is not "responsible" enough to run their own life. In other words the common person is too stupid to run their own life. That is the essence of statism.
The thread started out right leaning so I went devils advocate.

MY argument is that of picking the battles, I'd rather go after corn subsidies for revenue, not fight the soda tax. Attack the bigger aspects of the flaw.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 04-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Gamabunta
Big Bad Bully
Tactless

Quote:
The thread started out right leaning so I went devils advocate.

MY argument is that of picking the battles, I'd rather go after corn subsidies for revenue, not fight the soda tax. Attack the bigger aspects of the flaw.
I believe that the people who are trying to pass these laws sincerely believe exactly what you said as their advocate. Of course had you not said it, people like baconarmy would come in here and spread their semi-literate skepticism.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
SageoftheSixPaths
NOTHING FISH?!

SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

I honestly don't think it's going to do anything other than make people complain more than they used to while they sit on their asses and watch Seinfeld.

Did people stop smoking when they increased the price and starting taxing it? Nope. Same thing goes for soda. They say they want to reduce obesity, and they may even really WANT that to happen, but realistically it won't.

Even if they do succeed at said goal, it will only be by a minuscule amount, and nothing noteworthy will come of it. All in all, this is simply yet another way for our flailing economy to get a bit of extra cash for the government to use.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
Gamabunta
Big Bad Bully
Tactless

By the way you did say it. I rep'd you halfway through reading the post.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #16
SageoftheSixPaths
NOTHING FISH?!

SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamabunta View Post
By the way you did say it. I rep'd you halfway through reading the post.
I thought so, though I didn't say it exactly the way that you did, so I guess it's fine.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

SRhyse just might be Kage someday.
SRhyse just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

The tax isn't going to do anything about obesity, but I'm all for taxing the hell out of things that don't have our best interests in mind, while at the same time already having an addicted audience because of, or in spite of, their own will. Cigarettes, marijuana, TV, shiny rims on hydraulic cars, masturbation, prostitution, twitter- legalize and tax it all .

Coke isn't exactly making the world a better place, so lets profit on it in pursuit of better things, and/or deter people to doing better things than buying and drinking soda. Put down the can and hire quality teachers in schools.
My dog Elly FTW:

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
. Thanks for wanting to help though!
SRhyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #18
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Rice gets the tripple post database eroor special!

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #19
quinnzy
Genin

quinnzy is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

i just dont like the thought of taxes... especially in soda.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinslee View Post
Actually, the money that can be reaped in from the soda tax could be used to help to pay the medical costs of treating obesity.

HHAHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH A

Yeah...

Like Tax Dollars ACTUALLY pay for stuff
like medical costs and paved streets.

What do you think this is? A democratic republic? How silly!

So President Obama how do you like your solid gold Big Mac?

President Obama: I'm McLovin' it!

Spam once and the forum will be annoyed.
Spam twice and warnings will be deployed
Spam thrice and a infraction you will receive
Spam 8,984 times and a FAIL Agent you''ll soon be.

...At least in my case.
mrsticky005 is offline   Reply With Quote