Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
xEMOSCENEx
Freshmen Academy Student
 
xEMOSCENEx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Where you live
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
xEMOSCENEx is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Thumbs up Re: Religion

Sweetie, it all depends on how you use it.
xEMOSCENEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
Eternity Gray
Ninja Academy Student
 
Eternity Gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
Eternity Gray is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

Religion is good. The bible, the Hebrew Bible and many other books, if you read them all make sense. "Don't cheat on your spouse." "Don't commit murder." Religion it's self isn't a bad thing. And it's not to blame. Some people are just infallibly corrupst and evil. And they use the faith of others to please their own whims. And I know war is a tough subject to talk about sometimes. But I know, I would fight for my religion. Especially my right to believe in what I do. To fight for a good cause, is never a bad thing. It's an honor.
Eternity Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #23
Sasori_X
Chunin Exam Proctor
 
Sasori_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Your moms house... I'll be waiting
Posts: 1,574
Rep Power: 0
Sasori_X is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

Religion is not to blame for all the bad things that happen, its we the people. We use tools such as religion to get people to do what we want. We do this because we are greedy and always want more. Of course wanting more is not bad, but to much of something is always bad for you.

Though really I don't mind religion at all, it really helps some people. My dad (who used to be an athiest) actually improved in his attitude ever since he converted to Catholicism. Though I am raised as an Athiest (my mom is still athiest) I am always and will be still open to the belief in/of a God, which kinda makes me agnostic.
__________________
"Children are pure, they know who's the strongest" ~ MASK de Smith

"Snooping as usual I see"- Robotnik and his magnificent pingas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


More than happy to add you as a friend.
Sasori_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #24
InuyashaGirl
Chunin
 
InuyashaGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: shamwowing some one ; )
Posts: 898
Rep Power: 0
InuyashaGirl is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

well i do belive in religon but
all of the wars and deaths wich contradict everything about religon including killing
but i think that religon is slowly fading and soon enough no one will even kno about it it will be in history books allong with the roman empire
__________________
<(((O)))>::<(((O)))>

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Pein makes it rain.
InuyashaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #25
danilo777
Genin
 
danilo777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 380
Rep Power: 0
danilo777 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

I do not believe in god and I believe it is actually very bad cause a lot of wars, tragedies and deaths happened only because of religions(that was happening through the whole history).
danilo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #26
Sasori_X
Chunin Exam Proctor
 
Sasori_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Your moms house... I'll be waiting
Posts: 1,574
Rep Power: 0
Sasori_X is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilo777 View Post
I do not believe in god and I believe it is actually very bad cause a lot of wars, tragedies and deaths happened only because of religions(that was happening through the whole history).
Blaming religion for all those things is like blaming a gun instead of the actual person who used to the gun to murder someone.
__________________
"Children are pure, they know who's the strongest" ~ MASK de Smith

"Snooping as usual I see"- Robotnik and his magnificent pingas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


More than happy to add you as a friend.
Sasori_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #27
nano
Genin
 
nano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: under your carpets
Posts: 280
Rep Power: 0
nano is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via MSN to nano
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasori_X View Post
Blaming religion for all those things is like blaming a gun instead of the actual person who used to the gun to murder someone.
The key difference is that religion has the means and power to brainwash people, whereas the gun doesn't.
__________________
......_
....//.) . . . . .________________.
.._/\.___ . . .,-". this message. "-,.
./__ .....\ . ( is approved by nano..)
(,,,)/\_;_.), .",-------------------^
(_,_)o..o|_) . /
.(,)___3_/)
..^......^
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #28
Sasori_X
Chunin Exam Proctor
 
Sasori_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Your moms house... I'll be waiting
Posts: 1,574
Rep Power: 0
Sasori_X is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
The key difference is that religion has the means and power to brainwash people, whereas the gun doesn't.
I was hypothetically speaking. What I was trying to get at is you can't just blame the tool for wrong doings, but the person who is using the tool for the wrong reasond. Religion does good things if used in the right hands, but can be harmful if used in the wrong hands. Heck I don't think Humanity would be at where we are today if we didn't have religion.
__________________
"Children are pure, they know who's the strongest" ~ MASK de Smith

"Snooping as usual I see"- Robotnik and his magnificent pingas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


More than happy to add you as a friend.
Sasori_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #29
Akatsuki Gord
Special Jonin Candidate
 
Akatsuki Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 2,477
Rep Power: 9
Akatsuki Gord saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!Akatsuki Gord saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!
Default Re: Religion

i personally don't believe in god but i think religion is a good thing for some people if they do believe that god is the driving force in their life and they do good from it.

the only time i have a problem with religion is when people try to shove their beliefs down your throat. I live by a johovahs (SP?) witness church and they try and convert me all the time, ive even got abuse sometimes because of my tattoos and heavy music blasting out when they have come knocking at my door.

Also they have got violent once as the ones next to me seem to be very over the top about god and were insulted that i didn't believe!
__________________
PSN - millseyg27

Currently playing - Fifa 13, One Piece and NUNS3
Akatsuki Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #30
Jinchiruuki
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
First and foremost - this is NOT a "Do you believe in God/are you religious?" thread. There's already one of those, I'm not about to create another one.

My question is: Do you support the idea of Religion? Would our world be better without Religion, or is it an important aspect of certain cultures?
In my views, Religion only causes confusion and trauma in the world. Countless wars and conflicts have started over trivial beliefs, and many people seem to use their religion as a front to do bad, evil things. Other religions keep good people from making social- and morally just decisions, such as telling their followers to condemn certain types of people or commit heinous crimes in the name of "God". And of course there's the whole Religion = Power thing, which I won't bother getting into here...

So, what are views? Has religion been a guiding light in your life, or do you see it as an evil-doer? Let's discuss and be civil.
I think that for some people faith is needed to get through certain situations of life. Some religion as you say above is fanatic and prejudice against certain groups of people. I believe that if that religion, or faith is making you happy but not at the expense of others then good for you. (When I say expense I mean fanatic terrorists and those who reap their religion by slandering races/groups of people, killing others, etc)

I'm Buddhist and honestly could not even describe how happy this practice makes me. Just like politics, everyone has different views, opinions, morals, and beliefs which is why religion can be a beautiful thing due to its diversity. While you may not agree or like someones religion or what they believe, that's how they may have been raised and taught for their whole life so it's better to understand rather than automatically slandering it.

However I do not agree with those religions that slander other races or groups of people. Those are extremist views in my book which honestly I will never agree with.

I also will say I dislike those religions that pressure their religion on you saying they are trying to save you or whatever *cough* jahova's witness *cough*

While I may not agree with some religions ways I still respect that everyone has different faiths and beliefs.
  Reply With Quote Add Dice Roll To Message
Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
toad
Chunin Exam Proctor
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: mirage village
Posts: 1,678
Rep Power: 11
toad is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

christiany is a religion right... my veiw on that is theres like luthren methodist catholic etc. right well it shouldnt be divided nto that becuase in the bible john 3:16 for god so loved the world he sent his one and only begtten son well its about our savior and what not religion is trying to get to god.... christianity is god
__________________
Quote:
You're making this awkward toad -_-
Quote:
Toad's already a villain's name
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad
i like that ur thing says great toad sage! the toads rule!! lol
Toads unite!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #32
danilo777
Genin
 
danilo777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 380
Rep Power: 0
danilo777 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasori_X View Post
I was hypothetically speaking. What I was trying to get at is you can't just blame the tool for wrong doings, but the person who is using the tool for the wrong reasond. Religion does good things if used in the right hands, but can be harmful if used in the wrong hands. Heck I don't think Humanity would be at where we are today if we didn't have religion.
I do not see that religion did anything good there weren't only wars a lot of individual persons led by religion did some harmful deeds,there actually a lots of persons that sacriface themselves and persons around them for the god,there are a lots of people that are being killed and hated because they do not believe in god that you do...there are various examples of it but what I am trying to tell here is what good did religion do and what bad things it did if you look carefully you will see that there are more bad things that religion did than good.
danilo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #33
Sasori_X
Chunin Exam Proctor
 
Sasori_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Your moms house... I'll be waiting
Posts: 1,574
Rep Power: 0
Sasori_X is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilo777 View Post
I do not see that religion did anything good there weren't only wars a lot of individual persons led by religion did some harmful deeds,there actually a lots of persons that sacriface themselves and persons around them for the god,there are a lots of people that are being killed and hated because they do not believe in god that you do...there are various examples of it but what I am trying to tell here is what good did religion do and what bad things it did if you look carefully you will see that there are more bad things that religion did than good.
Your not getting my point. Just because people use Religion to do evil things does not make religion itself bad.

And just to point out that I don't believe in the Judeo-Christian God like how most people do I am however open to the idea that there is a creator out there (which kinda makes me agnostic).
__________________
"Children are pure, they know who's the strongest" ~ MASK de Smith

"Snooping as usual I see"- Robotnik and his magnificent pingas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


More than happy to add you as a friend.
Sasori_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #34
Aira
Academy Graduate
 
Aira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Where you least expect it.
Posts: 96
Rep Power: 0
Aira is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via MSN to Aira Send a message via Yahoo to Aira Send a message via Skype™ to Aira
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
First and foremost - this is NOT a "Do you believe in God/are you religious?" thread. There's already one of those, I'm not about to create another one.

My question is: Do you support the idea of Religion? Would our world be better without Religion, or is it an important aspect of certain cultures?
I don't have a religion because in my eyes it's a modified, rip off version of the original bible. Plus it causes war. So no, I don't support it.
Aira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #35
danilo777
Genin
 
danilo777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 380
Rep Power: 0
danilo777 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasori_X View Post
Your not getting my point. Just because people use Religion to do evil things does not make religion itself bad.

And just to point out that I don't believe in the Judeo-Christian God like how most people do I am however open to the idea that there is a creator out there (which kinda makes me agnostic).
What good things did religion do?
Nothing.
What bad things did it do?
A lot.
That tells almost everything.
danilo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #36
nano
Genin
 
nano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: under your carpets
Posts: 280
Rep Power: 0
nano is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via MSN to nano
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aira View Post
I don't have a religion because in my eyes it's a modified, rip off version of the original bible. Plus it causes war. So no, I don't support it.
The "original bible"... but isn't the bible an element of the Christian and Judaism faiths? I mean, many different religions have their own "holy books".
__________________
......_
....//.) . . . . .________________.
.._/\.___ . . .,-". this message. "-,.
./__ .....\ . ( is approved by nano..)
(,,,)/\_;_.), .",-------------------^
(_,_)o..o|_) . /
.(,)___3_/)
..^......^
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #37
Windstorm
Apprentice Genin
 
Windstorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 186
Rep Power: 0
Windstorm is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilo777 View Post
What good things did religion do?
Nothing.
What bad things did it do?
A lot.
That tells almost everything.
You know, I'm gonna go ahead and say that I might have agreed with this back when I was kid, but I've grown up and realized that such an absolute NEVER exists. Religion can be used for both bad and good, and if you don't want to accept that, it's fine with me, but I would suggest that you try to look at all aspects of something before expressing such a narrow-minded view.

I agree with a lot of what Sasori X has been saying, particularly his gun analogy.
Windstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #38
ItachiAnbu
Special Jonin Candidate
 
ItachiAnbu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Imagine
Posts: 3,122
Rep Power: 10
ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default Re: Religion

"Die religion ist das opium des volkes." -Karl Marx

Spoiler:
Translation: Religion is the opium of the masses, or: "Religion is like a drug to the people."


I believe that religion is an error in thinking, as it is founded on assumptions and assertions which lack any real logic behind them. Thusly, I have very "Atheist-oriented" beliefs. This does not mean that I think I'm going to be reincarnated as a tree (also an error in logic), and it does not mean that I hate religion.

I believe in Freedom of Religion (meaning that I believe that anyone should be allowed to believe in whatever they want), and I choose not to believe in religion, as it lacks foundation in logic.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ItachiAnbu; 01-11-2010 at 05:12 PM.
ItachiAnbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #39
ItachiAnbu
Special Jonin Candidate
 
ItachiAnbu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Imagine
Posts: 3,122
Rep Power: 10
ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasori_X View Post
Just because people use Religion to do evil things does not make religion itself bad.
This is very exceptional logic. My compliments to the chef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasori_X View Post
Blaming religion for all those things is like blaming a gun instead of the actual person who used to the gun to murder someone.
In the sense that one would be blaming the tool instead of the person using it, then yes, they are quite similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasori_X View Post
Religion is not to blame for all the bad things that happen, its we the people. We use tools such as religion to get people to do what we want. We do this because we are greedy and always want more. Of course wanting more is not bad, but too much of something is always bad for you.
1. True, a tool should not be blamed for the actions of the person wielding it. However, when that tool influences a person in a negative way, one must bear in mind that without said tool, the user of the tool would be affected differently, not the mention the difference in what the person is using the tool on. People like to judge whether or not, had a certain event not taken place, the event would have affected certain people, places or things, or if the event would have affected them at all. Since we cannot determine the "if's, and's or but's" of history, such speculation may be useless.

However, we should look at the effect the tool had on the person using it, because yes, there was an effect (Even just the memory of using or actually using the tool affects a person, including everything else that you could think of off the top of your head, though we should analyze these each before we accept them.), and we should analyze that effect, so as to learn from it.

2. That bolded statement could certainly be disproved. While you used ok logic earlier in this statement, absolutes such as "always" are rarely true or accurate. "Always" keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasori_X View Post
Though really I don't mind religion at all, it really helps some people. My dad (who used to be an athiest) actually improved in his attitude ever since he converted to Catholicism. Though I am raised as an Athiest (my mom is still athiest) I am always and will be still open to the belief in/of a God, which kinda makes me agnostic.
And it's very good to be open-minded.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ItachiAnbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #40
Err
Special Jonin Candidate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: I liek cake!
Posts: 6,084
Rep Power: 13
Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Religion

Religion's influence does breed prejudice. Prejudice may lead to crime; some are just subtle about their prejudice. ("Those who insult Islam should be beheaded", "God Hates Fags", etc.)

What if your religion is wrong?
__________________
Quote:
To further the point, we are a social species because we are interdependent. You could count on your hand how many people in a millennium can get by with absolutely no help from anyone else ever. Yet we never work together. That's why ants will eventually bring us down.
Err is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
religion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.