Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #21
Rogue Priestess
Special Jonin Candidate

Rogue Priestess is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Children being lead into religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Err View Post
With technology now, bringing the news from around the world is a lot easier. So more things get noticed. In older times they thought their world was nicer since they didn't get to hear a lot about what happens. Ignorance is "bliss".
Ah, yes, the power of ignorance, something that should've stayed. But what does ignorance have to do with what we're talking about?
I'm the original antagonist of the forums, the first to create an organization of rogues, possibly the person who's had the most names ever on the forum. I have left and now I'm back, why not have a welcome back party? For I shall cause more chaos once more...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rogue Priestess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #22
Err
Special Jonin Candidate

Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Priest / Envy View Post
Ah, yes, the power of ignorance, something that should've stayed. But what does ignorance have to do with what we're talking about?
Kinda went off track there. That was my bad. I was just trying to point out that things are not always as they bad as they look.
To further the point, we are a social species because we are interdependent. You could count on your hand how many people in a millennium can get by with absolutely no help from anyone else ever. Yet we never work together. That's why ants will eventually bring us down.
Err is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #23
Sharingan_Kakashi_Hatake
Special Jonin Candidate

Sharingan_Kakashi_Hatake is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sharingan_Kakashi_Hatake Send a message via Yahoo to Sharingan_Kakashi_Hatake

idk what to say
Old 08-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #24
Rogue Priestess
Special Jonin Candidate

Rogue Priestess is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Quote:
Kinda went off track there. That was my bad. I was just trying to point out that things are not always as they bad as they look.
Everyone does it, nothing to be ashamed of, I do it a lot.

True, the news just overdramatizes everything, but still, people started getting dumber after they took out the bible.
I'm the original antagonist of the forums, the first to create an organization of rogues, possibly the person who's had the most names ever on the forum. I have left and now I'm back, why not have a welcome back party? For I shall cause more chaos once more...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rogue Priestess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #25
Sunagakure
Is made of greatness, intellect, and everything awesome.

Sunagakure has completed a tough C-rank mission!Sunagakure has completed a tough C-rank mission!Sunagakure has completed a tough C-rank mission!

Quote:
Found it here: http://www.harpers.org/archive/2009/08/0082606
Seems like you have to pay to see it.
Ahhh, thanks! I will go buy it at the bookstore! Or you know, try to find a way around the subscription fee

* Getting lost along the path of life...
Sunagakure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
ItachiAnbu
Special Jonin Candidate

ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

It really comes down to being the parents decision, regardless of our opinions.

That's why I'm going to wait until I have children to form a complete opinion on this. I lack the raw information and expreience that my parents had/have.

On a side note, the book/article wasn't called "how to force feed children religeon", but rather; "how to lead a 9-year-old to Christ". Perhaps, instead of forcing a child into a religeon, this book is about peacefully guiding a child into the decision of whether or not to believe in Christ at all. Perhaps it's about how to teach children who already believe in Christianity more things about Christ himself.

If you haven't read the book, don't make assumptions about it.

ItachiAnbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:18 AM   #27
Err
Special Jonin Candidate

Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItachiAnbu View Post
It really comes down to being the parents decision, regardless of our opinions.

That's why I'm going to wait until I have children to form a complete opinion on this. I lack the raw information and expreience that my parents had/have.

On a side note, the book/article wasn't called "how to force feed children religeon", but rather; "how to lead a 9-year-old to Christ". Perhaps, instead of forcing a child into a religeon, this book is about peacefully guiding a child into the decision of whether or not to believe in Christ at all. Perhaps it's about how to teach children who already believe in Christianity more things about Christ himself.

If you haven't read the book, don't make assumptions about it.
First, don't make assumptions about the magazine if YOU haven't read it. Chances are pretty good that you haven't read it, while I on the other hand am the one who took the pic. What are the chances that I read it?

Second, how is it going to lead a 9yo to Christ is he's ALREADY been lead into it? When I say "force-feed" I mean the child has no choice in the matter so they "peacefully" accept it.
To further the point, we are a social species because we are interdependent. You could count on your hand how many people in a millennium can get by with absolutely no help from anyone else ever. Yet we never work together. That's why ants will eventually bring us down.

Last edited by Err; 08-23-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #28
ItachiAnbu
Special Jonin Candidate

ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Quote:
First, don't make assumptions about the magazine if YOU haven't read it. Chances are pretty good that you haven't read it, while I on the other hand am the one who took the pic. What are the chances that I read it?

Second, how is it going to lead a 9yo to Christ is he's ALREADY been lead into it? When I say "force-feed" I mean the child has no choice in the matter so they "peacefully" accept it.
You didn't offer any proof or sat anything that indicated that you read it, or that you even took the pic(I'll take your word for it now). Plus, that part of my comment wasn't even directed at you, ok? It was directed at anyone who didn't read the article, including myself.

Plus, I made no "assumptions". I simply ushered in possibilities that no one else had mentioned, so don't hate on me for that either.

Leading a 9-year-old to christ and leading a 9-year-old to christianity are not the same thing. You probably didn't understand my comment, so here I will summarize:

I was simply suggesting that we(I did not, at this time, know if anyone had read the article) don't know everything, and that maybe there's another meaning that we're not seing. I was just trying to open up to the many possibilities; "If a child a child is already christian and passionate about it without any help from a parent, maybe this book is supposed to help the parent teach him more about his faith?", that was one of the possibilities that I tried to bring up. The idea behind my reasoning was that this article might not be totally bad or evil, and I continue to remain oen to that possibility.

Now, having said that, I'm sorry I phrased my comment in such a way that you misunderstood it. I'm also sorry if you feel affronted in any way.

Also, simply as a matter of curiousity, could you quote any particular parts of the Magazine that made you feel this way? I'm interested to see the actual bits of text that got you fired up.

ItachiAnbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #29
Sunagakure
Is made of greatness, intellect, and everything awesome.

Sunagakure has completed a tough C-rank mission!Sunagakure has completed a tough C-rank mission!Sunagakure has completed a tough C-rank mission!

I think this debate is beyond one article, at least that is what I got from the opening post.

I am certainly going to read the article as I am now curious as to what it says, but I think the larger discussion here is whether or not one feels that parents should indoctrinate their children into religion (or any other belief system for that matter) at so early an age if ever, and if children should have a choice in the matter.

To debate that issue, I don't need to read the particular article in question. ^^

* Getting lost along the path of life...
Sunagakure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #30
Gamabunta
Big Bad Bully
Tactless

Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

I'm fine with it.

I mean it's not like we are against teaching kids other ways of life. Honestly. Do we wait until they are adults to see if they want to learn how to read?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #31
Ichiraku Ramen
Chunin Exam Participant

Ichiraku Ramen is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Ichiraku Ramen

Quote:
Spoiler:
How do you feel about this?

The kids are not even old enough to make up their own decisions about God and Christ. As kids they have no choice in the matter, their guardians force-feed them religion. They are getting them early.
wow that makes me mad.
Ichiraku Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #32
Anbu-Phoenix
Special Jonin Candidate

Location: Why do you wanna know i think its kinda private, Pervert!
Anbu-Phoenix is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Anbu-Phoenix

My parents told me when i was 6 that if i wanted to be Christan and stuff that i could, then when i got older i made the decision to be Atheist.
Yet my friends parents are a little umm short minded, and forced them into Christianity. And all of my friends were normal and "Christan" before they met me xD.

Buy it is wrong they should be whatever religion they choose to be regardless of age

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood.
---
George Carlin
Blood Village For Life!!!
Love Hurts But Being Unloved Hurts Worse ~ Me
Anbu-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #33
shinmarubountyhunter
Cradle Robber

shinmarubountyhunter has a spectacular chakra aura going on.shinmarubountyhunter has a spectacular chakra aura going on.shinmarubountyhunter has a spectacular chakra aura going on.shinmarubountyhunter has a spectacular chakra aura going on.shinmarubountyhunter has a spectacular chakra aura going on.shinmarubountyhunter has a spectacular chakra aura going on.shinmarubountyhunter has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Quote:
Spoiler:
How do you feel about this?

The kids are not even old enough to make up their own decisions about God and Christ. As kids they have no choice in the matter, their guardians force-feed them religion. They are getting them early.
when i was 7 thats when i started making my descisions about god

shinmarubountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #34
brooksey
Special Jonin Candidate

brooksey is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

wow when I scrolled down I saw a big disscusion on this LOL

of course parents are going to make you follow their religion get over it. you have the chance to decide when your older

brooksey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #35
Sasuke/Itachi
Special Jonin Candidate

Sasuke/Itachi is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Well there is a reason for childrens church and Sunday school. Kids are the future so you want the future to be good. So parents want to teach their kids religion. Kids don't think it is important at the ge but while they get older they learn about the importance
Sasuke/Itachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #36
sardns
Genin

sardns saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

I watched a show about the KKK on national geographic, and they filmed these little kids and even babies (that's right, BABIES) wearing the white robes. So when it comes to religion and brainwashing kids, I'm absolutely opposed to it when it gets to that extreme.
sardns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #37
Err
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItachiAnbu View Post
You didn't offer any proof or sat anything that indicated that you read it, or that you even took the pic(I'll take your word for it now). Plus, that part of my comment wasn't even directed at you, ok? It was directed at anyone who didn't read the article, including myself.

Plus, I made no "assumptions". I simply ushered in possibilities that no one else had mentioned, so don't hate on me for that either.

Leading a 9-year-old to christ and leading a 9-year-old to christianity are not the same thing. You probably didn't understand my comment, so here I will summarize:

I was simply suggesting that we(I did not, at this time, know if anyone had read the article) don't know everything, and that maybe there's another meaning that we're not seing. I was just trying to open up to the many possibilities; "If a child a child is already christian and passionate about it without any help from a parent, maybe this book is supposed to help the parent teach him more about his faith?", that was one of the possibilities that I tried to bring up. The idea behind my reasoning was that this article might not be totally bad or evil, and I continue to remain oen to that possibility.

Now, having said that, I'm sorry I phrased my comment in such a way that you misunderstood it. I'm also sorry if you feel affronted in any way.

Also, simply as a matter of curiousity, could you quote any particular parts of the Magazine that made you feel this way? I'm interested to see the actual bits of text that got you fired up.
And I apologize for attacking your post, but you came off a bit threatening. I think Sungakure said it best that this debate is beyond this article. Though this article spawned this debate, I certainly didn't mean to debate the contents of the article itself. However, since I can't paraphrase exact quotes from it because I read it a while ago, I can you summary about what it had. The contents of the article was about this group of religious people going around and spreading their word of Christ to children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunagakure View Post
I think this debate is beyond one article, at least that is what I got from the opening post.

I am certainly going to read the article as I am now curious as to what it says, but I think the larger discussion here is whether or not one feels that parents should indoctrinate their children into religion (or any other belief system for that matter) at so early an age if ever, and if children should have a choice in the matter.

To debate that issue, I don't need to read the particular article in question. ^^
Well said, Sunagakure! Though the contents of the article should be interesting by itself, the debate about leading children to Christ can stand alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamabunta View Post
I'm fine with it.

I mean it's not like we are against teaching kids other ways of life. Honestly. Do we wait until they are adults to see if they want to learn how to read?
Gama, I respect your position and as I already know you're a person of faith I know you have strong feelings for this. But I will say that reading is like a standard now. If a person doesn't know how to read they can't function normally in the civilized world. People can function normally without religion as long as the child has a bearing on right and wrong. That's something the parents can teach without bringing religion into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke/Itachi View Post
Well there is a reason for childrens church and Sunday school. Kids are the future so you want the future to be good. So parents want to teach their kids religion. Kids don't think it is important at the ge but while they get older they learn about the importance
The reason for children's church and Sunday school are the parents. Think the kids got together and decided it was a good idea for them? As I mentioned before, you can teach children good without the need for religion. Kids don't think it's important because they don't care to begin with. Personally I saw nothing of importance in it, as I grew up older the whole picture of religion got a lot bigger, suddenly there were a lot more choices than what my parents had been teaching me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardns View Post
I watched a show about the KKK on national geographic, and they filmed these little kids and even babies (that's right, BABIES) wearing the white robes. So when it comes to religion and brainwashing kids, I'm absolutely opposed to it when it gets to that extreme.
That is really sad. Another classic example of parents teaching their children what they believe is good for them.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #38
Gamabunta
Big Bad Bully
Tactless

Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Quote:
Gama, I respect your position and as I already know you're a person of faith I know you have strong feelings for this. But I will say that reading is like a standard now. If a person doesn't know how to read they can't function normally in the civilized world. People can function normally without religion as long as the child has a bearing on right and wrong. That's something the parents can teach without bringing religion into this.
I disagree. If a parent doesn't teach child anything they will be vunerable to more dangerous ideologies.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #39
SaiyoichiUchiha
Chunin Exam Participant

Location: Sitting In Complete Darkness, Waiting For The Moonlight
SaiyoichiUchiha is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

I was raised in a Christian home and it sucked i mean i had a messed up childhood and now that ive found other religion my life has become better in some ways and my mother knows i dont believe in god and yet she still makes me go to church

I Adopted: Sai, Yachiru, Orihime, Sango, Ryuk, Ai.

Saiyoichi: I Have A Dream!
Father: And Whats That!
Saiyoichi: To Have A Dream!
My Theme Song:

My Brothers Theme:
SaiyoichiUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #40
Err
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamabunta View Post
I disagree. If a parent doesn't teach child anything they will be vunerable to more dangerous ideologies.
In other words, they might as well paint the blank canvas something before someone else does. Good ideologies can be painted on the canvas without the idea of needing a religion.