Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Leaf Village Council > Forum Feedback & Issues

Forum Feedback & Issues Having problems using the forums or site? Maybe you have some feedback about the site you'd like to share? Post it here.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
mo-chan
Ninja Academy Student

mo-chan is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default hihi..why yes, yes I DO have alittle feedback for you....

Although this post may sound like a rant, pls allow me to give any & all a heads-up that I'm not ranting.....I simply have what some would deem a rather intense writing style. I also intend to make my point, and don't want to shirk on being quite clear on what that is. A-a-a-aaahem...

Viz's North American HQ (@least I think that's their HQ) is a quick hop on the Muni bus from where I live here in SF, CA; their offices are in the coolest building - I think it used to be a movie theatre like a hundredmillion....well a long time ago, anyways. And you know what? I really don't mind sharing my hometown with them. Honestly, I think Viz is possibly the first - and so far as I can tell - the only - one of the North American Distribution/Production companies that has come to the realization that in this GLOBALLY down-trodden economy, and with DVD sales IN GENERAL suffering across the board, that if they, and Viz Japan, want to actually MAKE any noticeable, viable, and continuing PROFIT from these productions of theirs, they are going to have to get that window closed. What window? The window between when an anime series and/or movie is released in Japan to when it is made legally and readily available for purchase to North American consumers.

The status quo: it takes a RIDICULOUSLY long time for us to get the NA release of almost ANYTHING. I am, of course, willing to wait for good things, like any adult....but I am also a fan. Fans spend money on products when they are excited about them, & will spend heathily at that time. But.....to ask us to wait an additional 6, 8, 10 months, clear up to a year for something to be released here.....well, I can tell you this: people don't usually spend top-dallar for last year's hot tickets now do they? Yet the prices we continually see on DVDs just being released so very long after the show has origianlly aired are - harsh wording alert! atrociously high, especially on single volumes. You know what I mean, right? The kind of high pricie that makes you put a DVD down at a MUCH faster speed than what you used to pick it up....yup, there's a bunch of people nodding their heads right now.

So - at this pacing, I'm going take a wild, flying guess and say that sales projections are decidedly poor on those nifty empty Artbox sets, the ones with only one volume incliuded, so you have a place to put the new dvds in the series as they are released, right? It's to be expected, you know. American viewers don't buy their series dvds as single volumes, as a rule, right? But we do buy Heroes: Season 1 for $35-$50 or Star Trek: Voyager The Complete Series for $279.00 or Sex In The City Complete for $199.99 (those were selling like hotcakes the day I first saw them in the store - the pink photo album, very nice presentation). Here's the logic: "I've already waited this long for the DVDs to come out, if I just (or: I might as well) wait a little longer, then they're bound to release this (LAST YEAR"S) series as a set. No way should I spend $150 bucks plus on these as singles....yosh, another season of Seinfeld it is, then."

And so another anime DVD ends up getting shipped back by the retailer to the wholesaler....and so the same could also be said over whatever buzz is being lost in those indeterminable months of "hunh?" that it seems to take ONLY North American Production companies to get even just a movie, much less a series released on DVD. Care for an example? I just happen to have a fantastic one: Evangelion 1.0.1: You Are [Not] Alone. The current date for the NA release of this dvd, at least according to the page where the Japanese with English Subs trailer is located on their website is NOVEMBER 10TH, 2009. In case you've been vacationing in a spider-hole or the like - here are the 6 available DVD releases of this movie, and their release dates:

2008-04-25 (Japan DVD: Limited Edition)
2008-05-21 (Japan DVD: Regular Edition)
2008-05-21 (Japan Original Soundtrack)

2008-10-20 (German DVD: Steelbook Edition)
2008-10-29 (Italian DVD: Limited Edition)
2008-10-29 (Italian DVD: Regular Edition)

Yeah. Somehow, as a fan who has been waiting desperately to see this movie - yeah, I'm one of THOSE fans, the kind who can show or tell you exactly what & where all 266 changes are from the original series to Eva 1.0.1 - so what? I'm just supposed to ignore the fact I'm being told I have to wait MORE THAN A WHOLE YEAR LONGER than the German and Italian otakus did for theirs? 5 MONTHS IS REASONABLE, A YEAR AND A HALF IS NOT. What the goodness gracious are they doing to it? Re-writing the re-write? There is no doubt in my mind that I will buy the Limited Edition package of this movie when it DOES finally make it to my local store. But that doesn't mean for one single solitary second that I believe that my downloading and watching that movie to my heart's content in the meantime, (I think I've already watched it 4? 5? times) is going to make my purchase any less valuable, it simply means I am AWARE OF THE INTERNET.

VIZ gets the gold star and everyone elses' brownie points, and goes straight to the Head of the Class, for not only realizing, but ACTUALIZING, the manner in which they are making ALL the Naruto: Shippuden episodes available, free and subtitled and uncut, streaming on Joost.com anytime you have the time to get caught up. With the new episodes being added just a few days after they air in Japan to boot. Hurray!!!! OMGOMGOMG!! *Joy-jumping* I never thought I'd see the day - what with Cartoon Network's toal and complete FAILURE to continue that hype the first Naruto series had going....it's like this, you see: the first time I watched Naruto was when I recorded the Naruto Hundo marathon; first to my DVR, then while pain-stakingly editing out ALL those commericals, I actually manged to get all the way up to episode 170 before CN's incompetence @reporting their programming schedule to my cable provider caused me to miss first just the 2 episodes from that particualr week, and then a whole bunch because when they changed the time slot, they did NOT keep it listed as a continuation of the series. So my 'series recording'? Not recording anything at all.

Not that there were, or are, for that matter, episodes each & every week, anyways....AND not that I would know anymore. I cut my cable off - opted for a faster DSL line instead, since nothing I really want to see isn't available on the Internet, anyways. I'm saving myself a HUGE amount of money each month, by the way, and getting to see stuff that isn't a year old already (thank you, Viz....and Funimation, too for your viewing sites). I am CONSTANTLY directing people I talk to to check out Shippuden on Joost, and just as often getting responses from people happily watching it, saying how they're "...definitely gonna be buying THIS series on DVD when it comes out!"

Mo-chan's End Game on this whole sticky wad of half-melted cotton candy: it seems a shame that due to contractual red-tape & all-too-lengthy-&-for-all-that time-spent-fat-lot-of-good-it's-doing business dealings, anime in America is on the verge of being an endangered species. Stepping back from the table, it's clear that fansubs, as hated as they are ny the Industry, are pulling more than their fair weight - when you take into account the "Buzz" factor. You can't make the Internet less than what it is - a means by which the World has come to realize communication at the speed of light. People will gladly spend more money on anime products, I believe, if they can get what's hot NOW. As the saying goes - close the window, open a door, right? If the production/distribution companies can close that release time window, I'm positive the results, both fiscally and forecast-wise would be substantial.

And hey - whatever happened to that movie theatre you guys were supposed to be opening in Japantown here in San Francisco? If that got shelved, can we fans at least look forward to a Fathom Events showing of the newest Shippuden movie? If it was good enough for Bleach: Memories of Nobody, then why not Shippuden: Bonds? I know EXACTLY where to advertise it too, for maximum word-of-mouth coverage. You guys announce it, and I'll tell you how to get those theatres FULL.

Cheeky, ain't I? oh well...bein' me is just what I do best.....keep up the good work, VIZ, and thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Toma RNK completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: hihi..why yes, yes I DO have alittle feedback for you....

Well stated. Well thought out. Well reasoned. Good consideration for the troubles Viz is facing.

I recommend you take a look at my letter to viz at: http://naruto.viz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=335& as I proposed a few Ideas there you probably would approve of as well.

More people like you need to provide feedback like this. Viz listens, usually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May 18th 2009: PM Hell... never forget.
Best post ever!

Always remember

Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from evil.
Toma RNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

SRhyse just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomarnk
Well stated. Well thought out. Well reasoned. Good consideration for the troubles Viz is facing.

I recommend you take a look at my letter to viz at: http://naruto.viz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=335& as I proposed a few Ideas there you probably would approve of as well.

Always, not usually .

And I'll reply to this in more depth later on today.
My dog Elly FTW:

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
. Thanks for wanting to help though!
SRhyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
mo-chan
Ninja Academy Student

hey thanks. I'm actually surprised you read the whole thing!! I read yours as well - and I whole-heartedly agree that they need to find a way to provide digital diownloads. For yucks, check out Anime News Networks interview with Chris Tibbee (might be Tribbee) who works for Home Media. Particularly amusing is the interviewer's somewhat pointedly naive question regarding DRM-free anime....hah. Video is NOT Audio....they are totally different animals, as he says.

And yes they should make it possible to donate. I've often thought that, as I am on Federal Disability currently, and while it is NOT possible for me to pay my rent and purchase many boxed sets and still eat, it IS possible for me to cough up $10 every once in a while for a service that I am so very grateful to them for supplying. Why not? It seems like everyone else has a donation link posted on their site, why not the guys the money should ACTUALLY be going to?

OH YEAH!!! There are TWO other services that I pay $9.74 and $17.31 to every month automatically as per the original agreement that I would be MOST unhappy without. My Netflix and my Gamefly accounts - ore, ore - *knock knock on the glass* oise - VIZ people, u listening? Maybe you should offer a membership type site, i dunno, with a certain amount of downloads available to the user given their level of monthly dues? But if you do, DON'T make it IMPOSSIBLY expensive, like MegaVideo does....their rates are RIDICULOUS. I'm sure you VIZ peeps already know I can watch MANY things on my PC via my Netflix membership anytime I want, commercial free, as much as I want, & the cost for that is included w/my monthly dues as they stand. Hey - so long as you keep new stuff coming, and you show ENTIRE series, and don't endlessly recycle the same stuff (ala Anime Network On Demand, and Anime Selects), I'd be willing to pay something under $15/month to watch (I'd be HAPPY to pay $10, tho,).

nudge nudge wink wink - a nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
mo-chan
Ninja Academy Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRhyse
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomarnk

Always, not usually .

And I'll reply to this in more depth later on today.
SUGOI!!! SUBARASHII!!! Man, but my neck hurts now.....that was fast.....

Hey - pssst! Can this old[er] hag hope for a Tsunade Avatar? Or perhaps a Shizune? oooh.....how'bout a GUREN? I'm 36yo & could easily cosplay as Tsunade if I had the blond wig, no extra chest-padding needed -- so none of those avatars....feel....right.....ahem. well, you know, I figured I should ask while I've got someone's attention.....
Old 04-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo-chan
Hey - pssst! Can this old[er] hag hope for a Tsunade Avatar? Or perhaps a Shizune? oooh.....how'bout a GUREN?
While this is the wrong thread I'm gonna chime in and say gimme Kabuto! (though the silly old guy from the sand village suits me fine, I think I am the only one using it atm)

May 18th 2009: PM Hell... never forget.
Best post ever!

Always remember

Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from evil.
Toma RNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
mo-chan
Ninja Academy Student

I know what you mean - I only picked Shikamaru cuz he's pretty much my favofite character.....but....toma-kun...doya think we might be getting a little carried here or what, my friend? I think we need to start reinforcing our mature adult genjutsu......
Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
*ichigorukiafan*
Chunin

*ichigorukiafan* is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

that was toooo long of a rant 4 me 2 read sry lol maybe i will read it all later

Rukia: This is Chappy: the rabbit.
Ichigo: What the hell is this thing for?
*ichigorukiafan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
mo-chan
Ninja Academy Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigorukiafan144
that was toooo long of a rant 4 me 2 read sry lol maybe i will read it all later
well, you get points for honesty....however, you lose them immediately due to the fact that I clearly stated that I was NOT ranting in the opening sentence!! Just kidding....here're your points back for the honesty thing.....you know you don't have to say sorry and also it's not required that you come back and read it dear -- that's why I posted it in the feedback forum. I wasn't speaking to the World at large, really - I'm not sure the masses would be interested in what I had to say there. Buuut as it's their business to be interested in POV such as mine, & yours too, should you so choose to voice it -- well, I DO think VIZ will be interested in reading it.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigorukiafan144
Buuut as it's their business to be interested in POV such as mine, & yours too, should you so choose to voice it -- well, I DO think VIZ will be interested in reading it.
You know it .
My dog Elly FTW:

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
mo-chan
Ninja Academy Student

Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

In regards to your original post-

Welcome to the forum! Fan mail's never a bad way to start off. You've even demonstrated grammar and punctuation in your letter, which is something that fills me personally with glee. We really do read these things seriously, which I feel I should point out before I comment on it below.

We know full well that the internet's the key to the future, for everyone in any media related industry at all whatsoever. We're glad you're behind us on our Naruto effort, and hope you'll stay with us to see this through. It'd also be cool if you helped point out anywhere we could improve along the way, because the one that can best help us make you happier tends to be you yourself .

Personally, I think you've underestimated the current DVD market a bit. It isn't the 'world of ruin' by any means, and even the singles tend to do alright. It's still a money train, my friend, despite the world's progressive movement towards money hover-cars. Alot of the figures people talk about dropping in that market tend to be the result of the market being artificially inflated the year before, with movies like The Passion.

I'll give you more info on the theater when I get it. Right now, I have no idea.

I'll also put Tsunade on my "Avatar Get!" list. In the mean time, feel free to dress up like her and post a picture of it in our user album thread .
http://naruto.viz.com/forum/viewtopi...46ebb5a1c1b6c9

And at the risk of being repetitive, on behalf of everyone at Viz Media-

Thanks!
My dog Elly FTW: