Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Great Off-Topica > Off-Topic

Off-Topic For anything under the sun that won't fit elsewhere!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Hakuren
Chunin Exam Participant

Hakuren has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Hakuren has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Hakuren has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Hakuren has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Hakuren has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Hakuren has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Hakuren has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Default What makes an author a bad author?

Any type of works apply as long as it's the author themselves writing them.

I have once heard this statement;

"Authors who kill off their main character(s) are the worst authors ever." By worst, it simply defines a "bad" writer.

As much as I disagree with such a statement; what are your thoughts on these things?

Some people see me as an embodiment of hell, an embodiment of reality, or an embodiment of truth. Pick your poison.
Hakuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Maruko
Special Jonin Candidate

Maruko --after fourteen consecutive terms as Kage of the forums--has at last decided to step down and become one with the universe. AFKMaruko --after fourteen consecutive terms as Kage of the forums--has at last decided to step down and become one with the universe. AFK
Maruko --after fourteen consecutive terms as Kage of the forums--has at last decided to step down and become one with the universe. AFKMaruko --after fourteen consecutive terms as Kage of the forums--has at last decided to step down and become one with the universe. AFK

Awards Showcase

Default Re: What makes an author a bad author?

Bad authoring makes a bad author bad.

:P
Maruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Writers are like artists

It's for the eyes of the beholder to decide if its good or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
BoxHead
P-P-P-PENTAKILL
Kuzan

BoxHead is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.BoxHead is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
BoxHead is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.BoxHead is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.BoxHead is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

I don't think killing off the main character would be considered a bad trait. I think people who don't develop their character enough make them pretty bad.

Click for our savior:
Spoiler:

BoxHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Stormy_Uchiha
Chunin Exam Proctor

Stormy_Uchiha just might be Kage someday.
Stormy_Uchiha just might be Kage someday.Stormy_Uchiha just might be Kage someday.

The way the words flow, I've read many stories where the author doesn't know how to make words flow smoothly so it doesn't sound right.
Also when the character's name is overused instead of using his/he/her/etc so it sounds like this,
Naruto woke up that day and Naruto was going to go out. Naruto took a shower then Naruto ate some food. Naruto's friends saw Naruto that day and said hi to Naruto...
Obviously that example sucks.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Shisko Shi
Special Jonin Candidate

Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shisko Shi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via Skype™ to Shisko Shi

What makes them is how well they wright and the story imo

Shisko Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
CoolerThanIce
Chunin Exam Proctor

CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.CoolerThanIce is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.

Awards Showcase

I wouldn't say that killing off the main character makes the author bad, I actually think it's okay to do so in some cases. Somtimes it even strengthens my liking of the author's work. But if an author is planning on killing off the main character he/she better do it professionally.The death shouldn't be predictable, the author should really go into depth and make it as emotional as possible. Furthermore I'd prefer "unique" deaths that aren't cheap rip offs of another author's work. I'd say that authors that copy a lot are bad. It's ok to get some inspiration but when that inspiration makes the work turn into an obvious copy it just makes the author look bad in my eyes. Keep in mind that this is not always the case though. What you think might be a cheap rip off might actually not be a rip off at all. People have accused the Hunger Games of being a cheap rip off of battle royale for example, and I have about a dozen arguements for why that statement is not correct.

On to my main point; It kind of depends on the novel/work/manga if you ask me, in some novels/mangas/anime it works to kill off the protagonist and in some it just doesn't. The death must fit the story line to some degree. Most anime and manga that I've watched and read have actually had main characters who've died in the end and those have been my favorite anime shows and manga series.

As for the definition of a bad author; I have to agree with Bacon on this one; It's in the eye of the beholder to decide if an author's work is good or bad. The reader's taste plays a big part. But I've got to say that most of us would probably be able to detect an "unprofessional" author though. But what distinguishes an unprofesional author from a proffesional author is another story.

If you ask me personally how I define a bad author I can mention a few things that I'm not too fond of that some authors do (if I'd list all of my thoughts I'd end up writing a whole novel xD); Authors that create mary sue main characters, authors that copy noticeably and authors who just rush through their work and don't complete it to the best of their ability just to get it done.

What's your definition of a bad author, Hakuren?

CoolerThanIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Jakropha
Your Lord Zetsoom

Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

ooooh, I love this topic!

Essay time!

For this example, I will use M.K., he is your typical author, he comes from Japan, and illustrates his own artwork. He succeeds in making a successful series, that millions of people love. He then, slowly, begins to tear it down, by forgetting a simple staple in being a good author.
DO NOT FORGET WHAT YOU DID
Since the beginning of his creation, various things, that we here call plot holes, would also be called inconsistencies, these inconsistencies have been one thing that has accredited him for being a bad author.
But not only this, M.K. has also refused to kill any major characters, automatically creating a sphere of importance for anybody with a name, this, coupled with his refusal to expand upon said named characters, makes this action seem redundant.
Then, in an illustrious attempt to feed his fanbase, M.K. makes the harrowing mistake, of ruining a powerful plot device, by giving the fans what they want.
Then, when fans become blood thirsty, and beg him to give them what they want.
He does it again.
Soon, the series has become a mashpile of pairings, crappy heroins, dongadillos, and demons who want to play badminton.

This is your example of a horrible author, the one and only.

Spoiler:
Kishi's wife, Mila Kunis

Jakropha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Wait what?

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
Jakropha
Your Lord Zetsoom

Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Oh boy bakahn

You know Mila Kunis is holding out secksy time for Kishi so that she can meet her own ends
She ruined Naruto!

Jakropha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #11
Cloukora
Special Jonin Candidate

Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Cloukora is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

A bad author is one that writes for money. A good author writes because they love to, whether it be for fans or themselves. A good author isn't afraid to express themselves through their writing.

Cloukora was here.
Fight back against bullies! Go down on your feet, not your knees!

Thunder Buddy: Pool
Friends: Tifa Legacy, Ino's Girl, deadtaka, Sagemaster, Apa, Sai's Brother, Taker, The Shady Ninja, Shayd, Kanisawa,Vino, Hikari-Chan, Leaf, Ninja Pink, and many more
[/LEFT]
Cloukora is offline   Reply With Quote