Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Naruto Discussion Forum > The Bowl

The Bowl For anything miscellaneously about Naruto that you can't seem to fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: Do you like Kishi as a manga artist?
Yes! Yes! Yes! 6 31.58%
Yes I do, although bits of his work can sometimes be predictable 7 36.84%
No, the way the plot in the manga is going annoys me 1 5.26%
No, he's bad at it 3 15.79%
I have a differing opinion (post your opinion in the thread!) 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
scallanan
Chunin Exam Participant

scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Default Is Masashi Kishimoto a great manga artist/writer or not?

I personally love Kishi. Despite people giving out about him about how the manga and anime are doing at the moment, I think Kishi has a huge talent in writing manga. The plot of naruto isn't the greatest, but it's pretty goddamn good! Not only that, but there are a lot of hidden messages/meanings found in naruto that relate to our world and life. I enjoy this aspect very much, as Kishi also digs into the meaning of life, how it is seen by different perspectives, how and why people change, hate, and want revenge, how there are lots of lies in controlling powers etc etc. The character of Itachi goes into a lot of this. It gives the naruto story more meaning to me. What do you guys think??
Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Godaime Kazekage
Chunin Exam Proctor

Godaime Kazekage just might be Kage someday.
Godaime Kazekage just might be Kage someday.Godaime Kazekage just might be Kage someday.Godaime Kazekage just might be Kage someday.Godaime Kazekage just might be Kage someday.Godaime Kazekage just might be Kage someday.Godaime Kazekage just might be Kage someday.Godaime Kazekage just might be Kage someday.
Default Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto a great manga artist/writer or not?

I think he's very talented. And this applies not only to Kishi, but mangaka in general. I had to make a manga for a class once and it took me 40+ hours to draw six pages despite using screenshots from an anime as a template. A good mangaka not only has to be able to tell a decent story, they have to be good artists who create characters with memorable designs and can frame the action of the story into some panels in a manner that is both exciting and easy to follow. To have all of these abilities in one package is amazing IMO.

Edit: You're just asking for a flame war with this thread btw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Godaime Kazekage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
PrinceofPeace
Banned

PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.PrinceofPeace completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

I will stand up for kishi I like his work
PrinceofPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Vivi
Little Miss Spoiler
Formerly V-Valentine
Jonin

Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Only thing I give Kishi is the Myth Research nothing more but as good as every Mangaka can do so.

Apart from that Kishimoto is mediocre at best.

Then again, who knows how much Editors and Anime play a role in how his story develops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jessie>Tifa and Aeris.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Vatanui AKA Pride
has a farm...
WCA

Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godaime Kazekage View Post
I think he's very talented. And this applies not only to Kishi, but mangaka in general. I had to make a manga for a class once and it took me 40+ hours to draw six pages despite using screenshots from an anime as a template.
Mangakas hire editors and assistants to help them create the manga, from the drawing progress to furthering plot developments, i.e. Bakuman. If I recalled correctly, Kishimoto has four to six assistants, along with two editors.

Vatanui AKA Pride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Vivi
Little Miss Spoiler
Formerly V-Valentine
Jonin

Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Vivi is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatanui AKA Pride View Post
Mangakas have editors and assistants to help them in creating the manga, from the drawing progress to furthering plot developments, i.e. Bakuman.
This.
IIRC Oda has 6 Assistants.

And even then, Mangaka do pretty much nothing but work.

Jessie>Tifa and Aeris.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Vatanui AKA Pride
has a farm...
WCA

Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
This.

Yeah. Being a mangaka can be a very tough (and demanding) work. And that's even before you add in the politics and stress like anime corporations, loyalties, or maintaining a high position on the weekly polls.
The Japanese take their entertainment very seriously after all.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
InnerSakura
Special Jonin Candidate

InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.InnerSakura strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.

I dont see anything wrong with Kishi's plotline considering I think he does an excellent job at keeping his ideas together even though he has been working on the manga for over ten years. I wouldnt be able to remember half that stuff he does. Plus his plot twists can be very interesting and makes the story not predictable. Kudos to Kishi from me!! <333

Sakura <3's Aeo

CHAAA!!!!!

InnerSakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Vivi
Little Miss Spoiler
Formerly V-Valentine
Jonin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerSakura View Post
I dont see anything wrong with Kishi's plotline considering I think he does an excellent job at keeping his ideas together even though he has been working on the manga for over ten years. I wouldnt be able to remember half that stuff he does. Plus his plot twists can be very interesting and makes the story not predictable. Kudos to Kishi from me!! <333
Mangaka keep something like work diaries.
It's not about forgetting they keep records of their story.

Jessie>Tifa and Aeris.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Vatanui AKA Pride
has a farm...
WCA

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerSakura View Post
One Piece tho. b:

Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Hipster22
Genin

Hipster22 has completed a tough C-rank mission!Hipster22 has completed a tough C-rank mission!Hipster22 has completed a tough C-rank mission!

woah dude that is one crazy schedule. i never knew about that, very hardcore
Hipster22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Vivi
Little Miss Spoiler
Formerly V-Valentine
Jonin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
One Piece tho. b:
No Shingeki no Kyojin.Anime of that next year is easily the most anticipated one ever.

Jessie>Tifa and Aeris.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Vatanui AKA Pride
has a farm...
WCA

Awards Showcase

Quote:
No Shingeki no Kyojin.Anime of that next year is easily the most anticipated one ever.
Ever tried Pun Pun, V?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Vivi
Little Miss Spoiler
Formerly V-Valentine
Jonin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Ever tried Pun Pun, V?
Oyasumi Punpun?

Heard about but never got to read it.

Also, on another note:
Kishimotos Art is IMO too simple.
This is just my opinion though as I prefer Art such as this:

Jessie>Tifa and Aeris.

Last edited by Vivi; 12-10-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
scallanan
Chunin Exam Participant

scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.scallanan has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Quote:
This.

This schedule seems over the top. Are you sure it's correct? 3hrs spare time a week!? 2hrs sleep on monday!? How could you even concentrate on your work with that little rest? Aside from that, if it's true, it shows that manga artists need a high level of discipline to keep a manga series going. They are always under pressure to be the best, and their ideas are always tampered with by editors and other companies. I wish we could see what a manga would be like without all this interference!

Quote:
I think he's very talented. And this applies not only to Kishi, but mangaka in general. I had to make a manga for a class once and it took me 40+ hours to draw six pages despite using screenshots from an anime as a template. A good mangaka not only has to be able to tell a decent story, they have to be good artists who create characters with memorable designs and can frame the action of the story into some panels in a manner that is both exciting and easy to follow. To have all of these abilities in one package is amazing IMO.

Edit: You're just asking for a flame war with this thread btw

And I can't agree with you more. I make little comics sometimes for the lolz and it takes up a lot of time. To keep a story going for 10 years with a simple-to-understand and exciting plotline, with lots of character development is not an easy task. Kishi really can be underrated sometimes.

A flame war was not my intent I don't want any of it

Quote:

Thank you for the reply. I agree with everything you said. Kishi is amazing
Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #16
Rasen_Chidori
The Smiling Assassin
Konoha Historian

Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

I wouldn't say Kishi is a bad writer actually, the early arcs were actually quite good and characters got pretty decent development. If anything, I'd say Kishi has allowed outside influences to interfere with his original direction. Basically, I think he is making decisions based on what he and his editors/sponsors, etc think will make the most money rather than sticking to the initial plan.

Kishi claims he has known how the manga will end for a long time, and I don't actually doubt that because you can change parts and details without changing the outcome but I believe he is changing details based on outside influence. For instance, I am almost 100% convinced that Tobi was supposed to be someone else but the popularity of the Tobi is Obito theories caused him to change the plan because everyone thought it'd bring in more money.

As for the artwork, it's alright, I've seen better but I've seen much worse too.

Make your getaway, make your getaway
Break free from a fate that is far too sad

Last edited by Rasen_Chidori; 12-11-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Rasen_Chidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
ILIKEPIE
ILIKETURTLES
WS-Genin

ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.ILIKEPIE is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

it's amazing how fast they can draw (in the viedo is the man behind Fairy Tail and Rave Master)

Spoiler:

Quote:
pie like pies XD (put this in your siggy and I give free pie)

Kani wuuuuuuz here.
IG was here
ILIKEPIE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Kakashi Hatake_Yamato
Aiding Kakashi, Yamato, & Iruka

Location: Konohagakure, with the people dearest to me. Aiding Kakashi on the battlefield and saving Yamato!
Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

He's pretty good.
It's not easy being a mangaka.

Kakashi~

\ \ \ \
l\^ ^/l
Yamato~

, / \\
,\^^/
\\---// thnx Edyl
Iruka~

カカシ, ヤマト, イルカ! 愛してる~!
03-02, 13:09 The Immortal Watch Dog
You got Daph Rice, everyone got her
She's one of my psycho's
she's Cults banner girl
[1/7/2014 9:25:36 AM] Tuus Deus(CoP): I know Daph spends all her time staring at Kakashi pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult of Personality
Kakashi pretending to get stabbed by Obito because he's such a nice guy and doesn't want Obito to feel about about sucking so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult of Personality
I would just like you to know that I am awesome.
Quote:
All days are Cult Day.
Quote:
I disagree. The best way to get rep from Daph is to be me.
Kakashi Hatake_Yamato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
Vivi
Little Miss Spoiler
Formerly V-Valentine
Jonin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKEPIE View Post
it's amazing how fast they can draw (in the viedo is the man behind Fairy Tail and Rave Master)

They're doing that for years afterall.

IIRC Kishimoto began when he was 13 so he has over 20 years of experience.

Another example would be Tite Kubo who is definitely a beast at drawing not like Inoue though (Noone can beat Inoue.best Manga artist of all time).

Jessie>Tifa and Aeris.

Last edited by Vivi; 12-11-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Narutorious
Chunin Exam Proctor

Narutorious has completed a tough C-rank mission!Narutorious has completed a tough C-rank mission!

He's a great writer, as I'm sure most would agree, part 1 and the beginning of part 2 was good writing, but this is what happens when you have a long-running manga majority of the time. You can lose passion for the series, which leads to rushing to the end, which leads to inconsistencies & plotholes.
Narutorious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artist, hidden messages, masashi kishimoto, storyline, wisdom, writer