Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Leaf Village Council > Forum Feedback & Issues

Forum Feedback & Issues Having problems using the forums or site? Maybe you have some feedback about the site you'd like to share? Post it here.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Fliparrachii
Die Fliparrachii Die

Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.
Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via Yahoo to Fliparrachii
Exclamation What's YOUR take?: The Reputation System

So, I was looking to make the feature more useful, because after the reset, I dont think there's been much activity with it compared to before it was reset.

The whole point was for it to not inflate again, but the caps placed on the feature is sort of brutal. Every 25k posts a rep power? A maximum of 3 points given out when repping? I think the caps are a bit too overboard. Abusers arent bothering with the system now that the generating process is longer, which is a plus, but I doubt those who can handle the feature isnt bothering with it as much as they did before it was reset. I'd like to see it less brutal yet it shows that it's progressing. Heck, the only users I see with a medal regarding their rep is Maikeru and Naijeru, and Naijeru doesnt really count, since that user's rep is manually placed to look like that.

I would like to know the user's take on the system now since it's been months after it reset. What are your thoughts of it now? What more would you like to see out of it? Do you prefer the rep boxes we have now compared to the old ones? What's your suggestion on caps? How often did you use the feature compared to before it was reset? Do you still use the feature? Do you even care about it?

I personally think users should be able to give more than 2 or 3 measly points when affecting another's reputation.

Not that it should reset again, since much hasnt changed number-wise after it reset, nor am I saying it should be restored to what it used to be number-wise. The ranks as it is can stay, but those caps need to be looked at again. It shouldnt have to take 2+ weeks to gain a rep power from clicks.

An idea I came up with off the top of my head is a certain rep power number can be capped as a maximum. I was thinking of a rep power of 75. Once a user reaches that number, they get a medal. The reason for the medal is "The user can now affect another's reputation with their choosing number." but not just any choosing number. I'd say, they can manually affect another's rep (0)1-25 points. Some users did brought up the idea of being able to give how much points they want to another user's rep. In the process of being able to, they must earn it first by reaching that capped rep power, and the number they're able to manually give is capped at a range of points, like the one I said above. I think that would prevent inflation. They wouldnt be able to gain in rep power once they reach the cap, but would in reputation points, thus getting the ranks assigned for the amount of reputation points when placing the cursor to the user's boxes.

That's my idea. But then again, that idea is revolving around the old reputation system without the caps; before it was reset.

What's your take on it?
NBA Picks----
East Conference: Miami Heat (53-25)
West Conference: Golden State Warriors (48-29)
-------------------------------------------
"They Even Judged God.
See If I Care When You Judge Me"
Im Pretty Sure The Whole "Ladies First" Thing Was Created
By A Guy Just To Check Out Ass
;p

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fliparrachii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: What's YOUR take?: The Reputation System

The rep system still has the same mentality as it had before the reset and even the crackdown. From my own experience, much of the rep I have was randomly given to me by friends. By the same token, the only reps I gave out were for people who made me laugh or if they put a lot of work into an idea. Like the old system, down reps are hardly used if at all from my experience. It's fine to approve of a post and rep,but it's almost taboo to down rep one you didn't like. Without both negs and positives, the rep system just leads to inflation because its a one way street.Buuut that's from my limited perspective, I cant see other people's rep.

As for your idea, it seems like a two way street. It can lead to people given x for a funny post by someone they don't really know,but X+ y for their buddies. It all really depends on how people who reached the cap would use it. By the current standards, even if we doubled the cap anyone could give out and made the maximum rep 30, it'd still be a few years before anyone reached that point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

I think full rep power in sections that couut would be nice. Keeping Off Topic at max 2 is fine with me.

We can always change the point value for marks and badges if we want.

Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Agree with Wooster.
We need to take away the cap in sections that actually have constructive discussion.
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
Fliparrachii
Die Fliparrachii Die

Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Does it really matter what section you're repped in? It should all count as the same. What difference does it make?

I'd like regular users give their input, so far, it's just leaders.
NBA Picks----
"They Even Judged God.
;p

Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
zerosameri

zerosameri just might be Kage someday.
zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

I third on wooster idea. I mean the character games should not have the same amount you can give as you do in some place were people put thought in their post. I mean you should not get 5 points for posting "Itachi..... Naruto or Sasuke"

zerosameri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Jonesy
likes to post-it post-it
Konoha Military Force

Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

I say just leave everything as it is; I'm tired of seeing useless debates over this topic. The rep system is fine as it is now.
Jonesy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

SRhyse just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

I can see the benefits of evening out the rep a bit, if only to keep things consistent across sections. It might be better to be more mindful of justified and unjustified reps rather than value, if you guys can manage that on the mod end.

Do you think you can? Manpower was partly an issue there, with a secondary concern being promoting discussions of certain topics within the site. At this point though, I really don't care what you guys are doing on the site as long as it's within the rules and you're active about it . It'd be great if it concerned Viz stuff, but activity is the foremost thing at the moment, even if the most popular section becomes one about bottle caps or botany .
My dog Elly FTW:

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
. Thanks for wanting to help though!
SRhyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Muffintop
Special Jonin Candidate
Quasi-Admin

Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

I'm with JAFL on this. I honestly didn't mind the rep system the way it was before. Now, it goes about as fast as a snail and doesn't really mean as much anymore. I also don't mind the idea of having rep count the same in all sections.

Muffintop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

I still think certain sections could benefit from a cap, if being able to give rep in at all, like maybe chats or forum game type stuff, where the purpose of the posts are more self serving than anything else.

So if we simply uncapped other things, any thoughts on making certain areas simply count more, like helping people out in the Technical Issues area? Or on how many posts might automatically raise your rep ability?
My dog Elly FTW:

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
Old 07-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
Muffintop
Special Jonin Candidate
Quasi-Admin

Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

I don't think it's a bad idea to have areas like Technical Issues count more than others, but I thought things were already sorta set up that way, with the issue being that the caps are too strict everywhere in each section?

I think the caps should be given a higher number than something as low as three or four, all the while sticking with the fact that certain sections will be favored will higher caps than the rest, if that makes sense. >_>''

Old 07-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

The way it works now from what I remember is that all sections are worth the same, then after that, some got limited down. I don't say that to sound like double speak , just to describe the workflow of it on the back end -
- Standard rep value for all forums
- Any multipliers or subtracting factors on a forum by forum basis

As of now, no multipliers are set to increase the rep value there beyond the base value, but there are values set to DECREASE the rep value in some areas, which apparently Off Topic is among. I was referring to taking off the areas that have been decreased (minus chats, etc), and then possibly adding in Tech areas and help areas as something that's on top of the base given additional value there because it helps the site, etc. Does that make sense?
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Muffintop
Special Jonin Candidate
Quasi-Admin

Awards Showcase

Si. I'm for it.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Sounds good to me.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Alright, scratch what I said for a minute, except the parts about thinking Tech and Chats shouldn't be equal .

Here are the settings we're working with -

I'm up for a rebalance of things, the bottom being about the way the power gauges and badges work with the rep bars being displayed, the above being the settings changing how rep works on the site. Discuss, we'll review, and talk about implementation. Sound good?

I'm not trying to side step this, I just know I wouldn't have the time you guys would like to really get into the numbers and make solid decisions of it in a timely way. But, if you guys can sort it out and agree on certain points, we can implement it alot faster.
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Muffintop
Special Jonin Candidate
Quasi-Admin

Awards Showcase

Two, three, four, five are all way too low, imo.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Awards Showcase

Can't see the settings.

When/if it's fixed, I'll give input.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
Fliparrachii
Die Fliparrachii Die

Awards Showcase

It has to be in the double digits at least. It's not so much about the bars or medal you may receive, it's the points you're handing out to another user which amount to nothing really. Your reward. Here's two points, unless someone decides to manually affect the user's rep to make it an actual reward.
NBA Picks----
"They Even Judged God.
;p

Old 07-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
Can't see the settings.

When/if it's fixed, I'll give input.
Working for me and others. 2 Images in that post I made. .pngs.
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
Muffintop
Special Jonin Candidate
Quasi-Admin

Awards Showcase

Possible new rep system-

-All sections count the same in regards to rep
-Overall rep cap changes to 10
-20,000 posts changes to 5,000

That's basically the gist of it.