Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Battlegrounds Versus Debates > Battlegrounds HQ > The Graveyard

The Graveyard While you CAN endlessly debate some things, other threads need a place to stay buried. This friends, is that place.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #41
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: BG Convo 37 Medi-cholorians greatest std ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Watch Dog View Post
Howards work are vastly underrated

having never read wheel of time I'm not flinching at the movie prospect but I'll prolly start reading the books eventually
I don't know if I would suggest reading the Wheel of Time. The writing gets worse and worse book after book; the plot slows down to a crawl as Jordan concentrates on telling the minuatie of his hundreds of characters you don't even care about.
The good thing is, the replacement they found for Jordan to write the last two books and eventually the final third is a much better writer.
Quote:
I have to tackle the monster that is Dune first..than the saxon saga

soo sometime around October I'll be able to hit WOT
Dune is an even worse idea. Besides Dune itself. Those books just get batshit crazy. I stop after the third book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #42
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321zigzag3 View Post
I only read her most famous series, Dragonriders of Pern.

She is a famous sci fi writer though blending with fantasy elements in many ways.

She paved alot of things.

What about them? I haven't read since I was very young.
The sheer stupidity is amusing to me. He came out with Super Diaper Baby and I must say that is just as good. And the Adventures of Ook and Gluk.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #43
TheBlackChidori
Special Jonin Candidate

TheBlackChidori is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Awards Showcase

Quote:
how vast is the series? Essentially what am I tackling here
One of the longest. Around 15,000 pages I'd say. And well over 1,000 characters. Still, worth it if you're looking for a new fantasy world and you seem to be big on Tolkien-like books... He took what Tolkien started and just immensely expanded it, and made it his own. When you first start reading it, you'll be like... "This seems like LotR." But as it goes on, and you get to see the politics involves, the character development, and the narration style told through the perspective of all the main characters, you'll love it.

Expect around 6 months to a year of reading though.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #44
TheBlackChidori
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I don't know if I would suggest reading the Wheel of Time. The writing gets worse and worse book after book; the plot slows down to a crawl as Jordan concentrates on telling the minuatie of his hundreds of characters you don't even care about.
Completeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely disagree.

The characters definitely stop progressing as fast around the middle of the series, but it's more to instill a sense of purpose, getting to know them and what they have to learn and accomplish. You really become attached to the characters and what they have to go through, and realize "Damn... this is their daily life, it's not just a single quest. That sucks for them, but it sure is fun to read."

There's also a lot of mystery involved and trying to put together the pieces. I like the middle books for that reason. You don't know who to trust at all, even among the main cast.

Wooster likes Eragon, so don't listen to him
Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #45
Kreegah!!!
Special Jonin Candidate

Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Uchiha View Post
I'll have to look into both of those. Still have to read Halo: Primordium.
Did you read Glasslands first? I know it seems weird, as it's part of the post-Covenant/Human war fallout, but they all tie together. Cryptum wasn't horrible, but it seemed a tad formulaic. Primordium is much better. Although I likely feel that way because I can gloat to my brother on how right I was about the Precursor/Flood connection. As well as Bungie.net and Waypoint forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackChidori View Post

The characters definitely stop progressing as fast around the middle of the series, but it's more to instill a sense of purpose, getting to know them and what they have to learn and accomplish. You really become attached to the characters and what they have to go through, and realize "Damn... this is their daily life, it's not just a single quest. That sucks for them, but it sure is fun to read."

There's also a lot of mystery involved and trying to put together the pieces. I like the middle books for that reason. You don't know who to trust at all, even among the main cast.

I'll give WoT a go here after I finish Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. I'm also technically behind in Erikson's and Esslemont's MBotF, as well as Cook's Black Company now that a new short has been released. P:

Inheritance was superior to the middle books in every way. Kid has potential, but I don't know that I could spare him another chance.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #46
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:

It is not they stop progressing; it's that they regressive. Essentially all the female characters become one person. Nothing happens but talking abuot what they should do. But you have only rad half way. You don't know, YOU. DON'T. KNOW.

Asmodean is the best character. Peroid.

Ergaon blows. ALthough, Paolini may be a better writer than Jordan.
Jordan, of course, tells a better story though.

Nah, if you want good fantasy try George R.R. Martins' Song Ice and Fire, or Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series. Or really if you are going to read one series, Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles. Not that is a fine piece of writing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #47
Devils Lawyer
Special Jonin Candidate

Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Dune's original story is always the best one. After that it does give off the w-t-f feeling. But it was still pretty interesting.

Last edited by Devils Lawyer; 02-12-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #48
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post

Dune is an even worse idea. Besides Dune itself. Those books just get batshit crazy. I stop after the third book.
because Frank Herbet went crazy before he died..and Brian and JA can't write to save their lives

but the original Dune is good stuff read no farther though least you trip balls and appear to be a drug addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
The sheer stupidity is amusing to me. He came out with Super Diaper Baby and I must say that is just as good. And the Adventures of Ook and Gluk.
what? lol

Quote:
One of the longest. Around 15,000 pages I'd say. And well over 1,000 characters. Still, worth it if you're looking for a new fantasy world and you seem to be big on Tolkien-like books... He took what Tolkien started and just immensely expanded it, and made it his own. When you first start reading it, you'll be like... "This seems like LotR." But as it goes on, and you get to see the politics involves, the character development, and the narration style told through the perspective of all the main characters, you'll love it.

Expect around 6 months to a year of reading though.
sounds like a beast still; have Malazan and Martins universe to tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreegah!!! View Post
Inheritance was superior to the middle books in every way. Kid has potential, but I don't know that I could spare him another chance.
the kid? the guys 28 years old now..and he still writes like a 15 year old.

His books would be impressive if he was still in highschool but for a grown ass man..it stops being "not bad for a kid" and starts being 'damn son get your lit courses in..and give your talent a boost"

plus the argument between Arya and the Dwarf was just stupid..it was a typical kid pitching a tempertantrum because he got his ass whooped in a debate about deep stuff by an older person with a better head on his shoulders

and him projecting it.

mind you I agree for the age he wrote the first book in it was good I'll give props where it's due..but as he got older he was expected to get better..and he didn't and it turned me off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Lawyer View Post
Dune's original story is always going to beast. After that it does give off the w-t-f feeling. But it was still pretty interesting.
I think Hebert had alzheimers or some other form of dimentia when he wrote chapter house and god emperor or Children or whatever the final book was.

but the first one was good..mind you if your just getting into sci fi it's a monster to tackle and your better off reading Starship troopers or something by Philip K Dick

Last edited by The Immortal Watch Dog; 02-12-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #49
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Dune's original story is always going to beast. After that it does give off the w-t-f feeling. But it was still pretty interesting.
Quote:
because Frank Herbet went crazy before he died..and Brian and JA can't write to save their lives

but the original Dune is good stuff read no farther though least you trip balls and appear to be a drug addict
I agree. Dune is very good. But I would strongly suggest stopping there.
Quote:

His books would be impressive if he was still in highschool but for a grown ass man..it stops being "not bad for a kid" and starts being 'damn son get your lit courses in..and give your talent a boost"

plus the argument between Arya and the Dwarf was just stupid..it was a typical kid pitching a tempertantrum because he got his ass whooped in a debate about deep stuff by an older person with a better head on his shoulders

and him projecting it.

mind you I agree for the age he wrote the first book in it was good I'll give props where it's due..but as he got older he was expected to get better..and he didn't and it turned me off

I think Hebert had alzheimers or some other form of dimentia when he wrote chapter house and god emperor or Children or whatever the final book was.

but the first one was good..mind you if your just getting into sci fi it's a monster to tackle and your better off reading Starship troopers or something by Philip K Dick
Kreegah is allowed to called everyone "The Kid"

Naah, the last one is decent. Certianly better put together than Jordan's final books.

Ehh, maybe he intentionally had Arya lose. Arya's personality is really screwed up.

I don't think I even want to know what Herbert did at the end. The God Worm Boy was all she wrote for me.

Last edited by Wooster; 02-12-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #50
Devils Lawyer
Special Jonin Candidate

Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Devils Lawyer is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Starship troopers was a decent read. The story was way better than the movie in my opinion. I was curious since they pushed multiple series and movies about the book.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #51
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Ehh, maybe he intentionally had Arya lose. Arya's personality is really screwed up.

I don't think I even want to know what Herbert did at the end. The God Worm Boy was all she wrote for me.
the founder of the Atreides line was a genetically engineered super jesus son of one of the machine gods...and the first Harkonan was a gentle and loving man who refused to vaporize a planet full of billions of people because boss Atreides wanted to nuke his machine god daddy..

so he framed him and exiled him..and plowed Serena Butler and Faykan Corinos kid and The Harkonans went crazy while robo jesus babies became good guys for absolutely no explained reason

also..clones, clones every body has clones!!

also..something about lesbian warriors..flying armadas of millions of prostitutes and water worms...synthetic a spice crack thing and apparently two really ancient Mentants who turned out to be the original AI's coming back for revenge

also..we got to see how the Tilaxu made the things they make and it was body horror on an unprecedented scale that I swear to you surpasses anything ever witnessed in any Horror film from the 70's-80's

DO NOT..READ..DO NOT READ

Quote:
Starship troopers was a decent read. The story was way better than the movie in my opinion. I was curious since they pushed multiple series and movies about the book.
the anime is the closest to the book

but since troopers is getting a reboot we may see a faithful adaptation yet
Old 02-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #52
Devils Lawyer
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I agree. Dune is very good. But I would strongly suggest stopping there.
Too late the worm saga got me.

Last edited by Devils Lawyer; 02-12-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #53
Kreegah!!!
Special Jonin Candidate

Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
sounds like a beast still; have Malazan and Martins universe to tackle

and him projecting it.

Good stuff, those. But 'ware the potsherds of Deadhouse Gates. And first editions of any of Esslemont's entries. I hope they sacked his editor or took him off the Quaaludes. Seriously.

I knew he was fairly young when he embarked upon this venture, but surely he is not closing in to his third decade?! Also, that was my argument, too. It all stayed the same level of maturity in both scope and style, but the last entry was definitely an improvement.

If he really is 28... then no excuse. I've seen his Photos, so I know he doesn't possess down syndrome.

Quote:
Kreegah is allowed to called everyone "The Kid"

I am an aged one, that is true.

Yeah, she has serious issues. But she's an elf, and every elven universe has serious levels of incest, so is it really a surprise to anyone that she's at least suffering from Schizoaffective Disorder?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #54
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Good stuff, those. But 'ware the potsherds of Deadhouse Gates. And first editions of any of Esslemont's entries. I hope they sacked his editor or took him off the Quaaludes. Seriously.
the one I'm wondering why just, why about is Meyer how is she still allowed to publish? Especially when King, Presfield and Koonts have all come out and outright stated they'll black list any editor that does business with her

I mean those are some big names making a serious threat..yet she is on her second book series

Quote:
I knew he was fairly young when he embarked upon this venture, but surely he is not closing in to his third decade?! Also, that was my argument, too. It all stayed the same level of maturity in both scope and style, but the last entry was definitely an improvement.

If he really is 28... then no excuse. I've seen his Photos, so I know he doesn't possess down syndrome.
this is exactly what I mean he's almost thirty he's been writing professional since he was fifteen even through a decade of experience he's only had average improvement if that..

there is no excuse..

Quote:
Yeah, she has serious issues. But she's an elf, and every elven universe has serious levels of incest, so is it really a surprise to anyone that she's at least suffering from Schizoaffective Disorder?
the problem with this was that Paolini was portraying her as if she was right..when it's very clear in the context of the situation only he in his little knee jerk "this is for all the times guys like Kreegah, IWD and Wooster and COP punked him in a discussion" warped fantasy world thinks that Arya came off right

some of his younger fans do..Yuuki put me on ignore and cried about it to me in a silly PM

but any one with a good set of years on them..and has a decent collection of books at home or hell even just a little bit of common sense could tell that both Paolini and Arya were full of it...

Still..shame on him for doing that and trying to spin it like that
Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #55
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I am an aged one, that is true.

At least you can grow a manly beard.

Elves age differently. I think she is really a teenage girl. Look how she thinks about her mother. People think that makes them wiser than the short lived humans. Nothing could be further from the truth. A dog reaches maturity in a year or so. It appears it takes Elves a few centuries.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #56
TheBlackChidori
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

@Wooster: Currently reading Wise Man's Fear
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #57
Kreegah!!!
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

AAAUGH! The thread was murdered with the mention of Stephanie Meyer! EEEEEEW!

I'd rather be pegged by Linda Tripp than hear more about that tramp.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #58
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
@Wooster: Currently reading Wise Man's Fear
How did you like The Name of the Wind?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #59
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

Awards Showcase

Elves may age slowly but they should still be experienced...as hell and know better

I mean hormones overwhelming a few hundred years of life experience..seems a bit much

she just came off like she was a dumb shut in with a sense of self entitlement
Old 02-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #60
TheBlackChidori
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Enough to make me check out the 2nd Woo, which most of the time my interest ends after the first book of a series.