Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Battlegrounds Versus Debates > Battlegrounds HQ

Battlegrounds HQ The headquarters of the debating area. Introduce yourself here, get to know other Battlegrounds, and discuss the details and events of the BG.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Default How do YOU define "fodder?"

How do you define it? My favorite character in the Naruto series is Shikamaru, and as a result of it I see a lot of people calling him it. 99% of the time, people misuse the term in my opinion, because they dislike the character or they see the character as weak in battle strength.

How I define fodder: A character who isn't named / has very little significance in the plot. For example, the "Screw you" ninja who Konan killed. That's an example of a fodder.

For a character like Shikamaru to be called fodder makes no sense to me. He has a background, personality, full name, killed an Akatsuki, and contributed to the Will Of Fire theme. How can a character who's fleshed out like that be fodder? Sure his significance isn't as big as other character's, but he was a important enough character to the story.

Shikamaru isn't the only character to be raped with that word. Asuma is another one.
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
9naruto
Chunin Exam Proctor

9naruto saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!
Default Re: How do YOU define "fodder?"

Shikamaru? He plays a major role in the plot, same with Asuma. Especially now with the Kurenai being pregnant. I want to know what happens to the baby...

"You couldn't hit me with a hollow tip even if you graduated with a sniper scholarship... this is my lyrical semi-automatic, pop-pop-pop!" ~Bulletproof
9naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

We likely won't find out until after the war.
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
9naruto
Chunin Exam Proctor

9naruto saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
We likely won't find out until after the war.
v-v ya... It would be sick (not the 'cool' sick) if they had kurenai die....

"You couldn't hit me with a hollow tip even if you graduated with a sniper scholarship... this is my lyrical semi-automatic, pop-pop-pop!" ~Bulletproof
9naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
NBT
Banned

NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

The 40,000 nameless losers that died in the war.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
deidara330
Mr. Serious

deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Fodder means two things:

A character, generally nameless, that is completely useless against the vast majority of named characters and usually can do nothing or next-to-nothing in terms of the abilities available in the character's universe.

A character who actually can do something and could defeat fodder of the traditional sense but are still so useless by comparison to major characters that you dislike them enough to consider them fodder.

Karin actually isn't fodder, but she has yet to provide any majorly useful combat service and often gets in the way, and people call her fodder because they don't like her for it. Words are defined by the meaning people give them and take from them, because otherwise words are simply a series of sounds put together. For that reason, fodder has a traditional definition and a more outside definition, the latter being used more commonly to slander the character it's describing. The second definition is also used more commonly to describe a lack of fighting capability, becase the fodder-labeled Karin has actually proved useful in sensorship (pun ) and healing ability.

It's uncommon to find named characters who are fodder because most named characters have enough relevance to the story to be able to do something. In any case, Shikamaru isn't fodder by either definition. He has competent combat ability and has featured intelligence that allows him to get past people who would normally be considered less foddery characters.

Yes, I did have to make the response this long.
deidara330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Kazumi Saitama
Lady Debater

Kazumi Saitama has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Kazumi Saitama has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Kazumi Saitama has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Kazumi Saitama has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Kazumi Saitama has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Kazumi Saitama has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Send a message via MSN to Kazumi Saitama

Sakura. >.>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kazumi Saitama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Uchiha Sora
Has a Keyblade

Uchiha Sora just might be Kage someday.
Uchiha Sora just might be Kage someday.Uchiha Sora just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

I thought fodder was in terms of strength. o_o.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Uchiha Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
Frost ninja
debates with determination

Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Frost ninja strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.

Awards Showcase

I agree with D330.

Fodder is usually the black sheep characters in the series as far as overall ability and relevance goes. I don't personally agree that the "screw you" ninja was fodder since he did enough through his words and awesomeness to match with TOAA. I digress.

In my opinion, fodder is a character with no viable feats or no room for envelope pushing as far as feats and power go. Example being konohamaru. Most characters move faster than he could hope to react to, and three clones with said reactions isnt going to win him battles. Ino, in example, moves faster than Kono can react to and moves a touch faster than the action speed of the brain's impulses. Rasengan is nice, however with no speed feats he might as well not have it since most any character can react to base human speeds.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
Rasengan SageX5
Special Jonin Candidate

Location: I am a resident of the multi-verse. I can transfer my mind to where ever I want to be!
Rasengan SageX5 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rasengan SageX5 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rasengan SageX5 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rasengan SageX5 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rasengan SageX5 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

The way I understand it, fodder are all the random, unnamed characters in a series that serve no point to the plot and are easily dispatched by named characters in a combat situation. An example would be all the guards that Deidara killed when he infiltrated the Sand Village way back in the beginning of Shippuden and all the samurai's that Sasuke knocked out while training with Orochimaru.Also in this category, the characters that Luffy one-shots in One Piece, because they fail so hard against a major character that it's funny.

I love this! This is what I live for! I'M ABSOLUTELY CRAZY ABOUT IT!!!- Dante from the end of DMC 3 getting ready to pwn a bunch of minor demons.

YouTube:
src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Derpy Hooves:4 Twilight Sparkle:0

Rasengan SageX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
Santisimo
wishes he could troll

Santisimo has a dark heart coursing with Dark Chakra

Anyone who's not Naruto or Sasuke, according to Kishi.
Santisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
KyuubiAkatsuki
Jonin

KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.KyuubiAkatsuki completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

anything that comes out of a Bantha

"If sacred places are spared the ravages of war then make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war then make all peoples holy."
----- Silver Surfer from Silver Surfer Requiem

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

KyuubiAkatsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
NBT
Banned

NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.NBT is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santisimo View Post
Anyone who's not Naruto or Sasuke, according to Kishi.
You win the thread.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
narulvr
Genin Elite

narulvr saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

I'd say in the narutoverse all the ninjas that only use kunai and look like the guy that's 50 away from them. but i haven't seen alot of female fodder mostly guys... hmmm
Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #15
Chidori of Death
Special Jonin Candidate

Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Send a message via AIM to Chidori of Death Send a message via Yahoo to Chidori of Death

Shikamaru Is in NO way Fodder. He forms strategies at a moments notice!

Chidori of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 AM   #16
chidoriroar
Chunin

chidoriroar is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

fodder is a nameless or very unimportant character, btw shikamaru is one of my favorites too and he is definetely not fodder, he was like the main character in the hidan/kakazu arc

the bitterness of this life is the sweetness of the next.

Give me rep and ill give you rep back.
dont talk about measking for rep since im not the only one doing it and theres nothing in the rules against it.
to the people who dont know, you have to include your name when giving rep and if your rep is less than one giving rep wont matter.
chidoriroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #17
J-Sun Tasogare
is secretly a carebear

J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Tsunade.
J-Sun Tasogare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #18
***V***
Special Jonin Candidate

***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.***V*** strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.

Something you feed livestock? I'm guessing.

Spoiler:
Quote:
V is the lady of destruction
Quote:
Oh V.......Hebi thinks he will miss you most of all
With your neverwavering indifference and your witty sarcasm and for giving #Baby Latte that macaroni and cheese recipe xD
Quote:
Why do I feel that V would make an almost perfect female counterpart of L?

***V*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #19
Amano Yukiteru
Genin

Amano Yukiteru saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoUchiha620 View Post
I think Tenten and Kiba are fodder.
Tenten maybe but why Kiba?

Kiba showed impressive speed and Wolf Fang Over Fang utterly demolishes most of the people in Kiba's tier.

YouTube:
src="

Miku-san maji tenshi!
Amano Yukiteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
Chidori of Death
Special Jonin Candidate

Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Send a message via AIM to Chidori of Death Send a message via Yahoo to Chidori of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amano Yukiteru View Post
Tenten maybe but why Kiba?

Kiba showed impressive speed and Wolf Fang Over Fang utterly demolishes most of the people in Kiba's tier.
And, Don't forget the Acid Piss >.>

Chidori of Death is offline   Reply With Quote