Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Naruto Discussion Forum > Naruto Manga Discussion

Naruto Manga Discussion All the latest discussions about the Naruto manga (beware, spoilers abound).

Old 07-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default This is the End

Some of you know about this from me, most of you don't. It's a theory about how Naruto will end. It's a bit longish, so proceed at your own risk!

The genesis of this idea came when I realized that Sasuke had essentially made himself irredeemable. There was small hope before the Kage Summit, but none after (or so I originally thought). In other words, Sasuke would never be able to return to any semblance of a normal life afterward, nor would he be able to freely associate with previous comrades. For those of you who desire Sasuke's redemption, I believe this is the only way. I don't claim this is the necessary end, but I do claim that it is logical, suitable, and one of a very few plausible possibilities.

To understand why I think as I do about the ending, it is necessary to understand the central conflict in Naruto. Briefly, it is the schism between the Uchiha and the Senju, mirrored in the rift between Sasuke and Naruto. Once you realize this, all that follows from it becomes, if not predictable, at least obvious in hindsight. Because of both Japanese culture and the nature of literature in general, not to mention the continual mirrored relationships in the story so far, I suspect that Naruto is a "circular" story, in which the various threads at the beginning of the story get woven into the end, almost like a loop. Right now, Naruto and Sasuke are playing out a kind of meta-drama, where their clans relive a tragic past through their rivalry. Once you realize this, and see the story as circular, you easily come to the conclusion that somehow they will heal the rift that initially separated their clans. The beginning of the story (chronologically) is about separation, rivalry, and familial hatred; the end will be about union, cooperation, and brotherly love.

Given that structure, and where the story sits now, here is my thesis for the ending: Eventually, with the either direct or indirect assistance of Sasuke, Naruto will become the Bijuu's jinchuuriki, and this will directly or indirectly be the key to Naruto becoming Hokage (either in the immediate aftermath of his transformation, or at some hinted future date). In doing so, Sasuke will have helped save the world, redeeming himself, and therefore be pardoned for his crimes (which, in point of fact, rarely led to serious consequences anyway). This will happen, and in the above way, for the following reasons.

A Symbol of Wholeness:
We know that the Senju and the Uchiha are separated by rivalry and hatred, and that they are related by blood. The symbol and glue of their union was the Rikudo Sennin, who was the Bijuu's jinchuuriki; in his absence, real union proved impossible up to the present day. On his deathbed, the Rikudo Sennin proclaimed his heir to be the Senju's founder, who believed in leadership through love, despite the fact that he was the younger of his two sons. The eldest, founder of the Uchiha, believed in rule through strength, and took exception to his father's preferential treatment of his younger sibling. Their quarrels began upon the RS's death, after the RS scattered the Bijuu's spirit across the face of the world. This happened at the same time as the Uchiha/Senju rift, and I submit that the division of the Bijuu's spirit is a symbol of this central conflict, and its reunion will become a symbol of the rift's closure; this will happen either by force (Madara's Uchiha way), or through love (Naruto's Senju way). The way in which it will happen foretells the consequences (Madara's peace through Uchiha strength/Naruto's peace through Senju love), and therefore defines whether the RS chose his heir correctly. Madara has said that his Moon's Eye Plan is designed to make him "whole." Similarly, I believe Naruto's separation from Sasuke qualifies as a parallel, something he needs healed in order to make him whole. One is the search for strength, the other the search for love. It's like a freaking mirrored hallway, this story!

Wholeness Through Redemption:
Despite the above, why should this mean that Sasuke will play a major role in saving the world? Easy: it's his sole path to redemption, and therefore his sole path to reunion with Naruto, which is the almost inevitable direction this story has taken. In the absence of the unlikely death of all his powerful enemies, Sasuke will be executed, if he does not do something that forces his enemies to reassess his status. The one and only thing that would do that in a way that nullifies his rift with Naruto is if he manages to save their collective skins.

Some of you might say, "But Naruto and Sasuke are definitely going to throwdown, and Naruto has said that if they do, one of them is going to die." Well, that may be the case, but ask yourself, especially in light of Nagato's ET, and the fact of Gaara's resurrection, what does death in Narutoverse actually mean? Can you honestly tell me that Naruto/Sasuke will either die fully or die in the way that one would normally expect? I doubt it. After all, in Narutoverse the nature of prophecy has already proven cloudy, and death ephemeral.

EDIT: here's the post where I said the theory could end the current conflict rather than the whole story

I'm done now, so you can have your milk and cookies. Go ahead. You know you want them.

--George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Jutsu Junkie; 07-24-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Jutsu Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
deidara330
Mr. Serious

deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.
Default Re: This is the End

It's a nice prediction. I honestly have no disagreements about whether or not it could happen. Utterly plausable and fairly probable. But I disagree that it will.

I think Naruto is a story which has its moments at the beginning tie into the end. Well, Naruto's goal in the first half of the very first chapter of it was to become Hokage. I'm fairly certain he still will. People can argue that Naruto is a lot more about Naruto developing the relationship with Sasuke and then saving Sasuke. I agree. But the story is also about how the experiences that Naruto goes through along that road prepare him with everything he needs to become Hokage.

So, in that spirit, I believe that Naruto will fight Sasuke and the issue will be resolved, and once it is, Naruto will become Hokage, like he's always said. He can't become Hokage if he can't save Sasuke, so he'll just do it in the necessary order. Although I think that Naruto will defeat the final villain of the story after he becomes Hokage in order for him to show how everything he went through has brought him to the moment of triumph.

Although, at a second thought, I think what you predict might happen, but only for the defeat of Madara. I think Kabuto'll be the story's final antagonist, so Madara can be defeated in ways that tie into the Naruto world's history while Kabuto can be defeated in a different way.
deidara330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
RyomaKoujou
Genin

RyomaKoujou saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

I agree. Naruto's whole issue is that if he can't save Sasuke he doesn't deserve to be Hokage. So if he ends up killing Sasuke, he will deem it a failure. Thus, refusing to become Hokage.
After shedding a thousand tears,
Yesterday's sorrow constantly nears.
And while the moon still shines blue,
By dawn, it will turn to scarlet hue."

If you want a spam free fighting partner for Storm 2, or just a good match.

PSN: RyomaKoujou

Proud to be Gay

PLATINUM BABY!!
RyomaKoujou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

@deidara330
While I didn't post the distinction here, if you read what I said in the chapter 548 discussion (no reason you should've, I know), you'd see that I actually said that it would at least be the end of the current central conflict. Whether it's the actual end of the entire story, I don't know, and as I said it's not a necessary end in any case.

But think about this: how much do we know about Kabuto's heritage? Almost nothing, right? Right. Maybe he plays into the story in a way we don't yet suspect, and which feeds into my theory.

@RyomaKoujou
Yeah, I don't see Naruto actually refusing, unless it's just to postpone it. After all, he has to catch up with Gaara. He's not giving that up permanently, I'd think. But then, I believe that Sasuke will be redeemed.

--George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Jutsu Junkie; 07-23-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Hando Craap
Special Jonin Candidate

Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Hando Craap completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

I agree also.I have been thinking this for a while now.
Though not so complex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.
There is no Force,there is only Giggity-Goo

Mah Drinking Buddy ~ Raspy
Hando Craap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Sasuke726
Special Jonin Candidate

Location: In your girlfriend's wet dreams, and in your worse nightmares.
Sasuke726 has completed a tough C-rank mission!Sasuke726 has completed a tough C-rank mission!Sasuke726 has completed a tough C-rank mission!
Send a message via Yahoo to Sasuke726

good theory. the whole r not 2 vague or broad which helps with room 4 editing. so i give u a handclap.
Sasuke726 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
JazzJunkie4
Veteran Chunin

JazzJunkie4 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.JazzJunkie4 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.JazzJunkie4 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.JazzJunkie4 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutsu Junkie View Post
The beginning of the story (chronologically) is about separation, rivalry, and familial hatred; the end will be about union, cooperation, and brotherly love.
Aw man, for a second I thought you were gonna go with my idea. I agree that sasuke has to have some sort of closure with naruto ending on a good note, however I have a different idea about how the union will ultimately occur. Basically I would NOT like to see naruto and sasuke team up. What I would like to see is the two of them becoming one being so that the separation of the SSP's sons (the eldest with the eyes and the youngest with the spirit) becomes united again thus achieving the SSP's goal. Has anyone noticed how the end of part 1 totally foreshadowed the ending of part 2? First the gesture that naruto and sasuke made after clashing which symbolized that they were still friends. Second, kakashi stating how the valley reflected the never ending battle between the senju and uchiha. Basically what I am saying is that naruto and sasuke need to make the gesture BUT also need to become one single being. This means that one way or the another, the juubi must be resurrected and sasuke must become the host. Sasuke's hatred will become the juubi's will and thus sasuke will become the juubi. Naruto will seal the juubi/sasuke inside himself HOWEVER he will do what the SSP could not. He will confront sasuke/juubi inside of him (much like how he fought the fox) and they will battle and ultimately sasuke will be wavered and the two will make the gesture thus eradicating sasuke's hatred and destroying the juubi once and for all. Naruto will then become the jinchurikee of sasuke and become the ultimate shinobi. Anyway that's the only way I can see the union of the two sons and what has already been foreshadowed unfold.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

@JazzJunkie4

If you read my post carefully, it doesn't actually reject your interpretation. I don't know whether your specific rendition will come to pass, of course, but it actually fits my theory as well as Sasuke and Naruto remaining separate. "Brotherly love" can remain even through such an eventuality. You stated it yourself, when you wrote of Sasuke "being wavered." And you are talking about union, after all, which is my main point. The characters move from separation to union, which is the central movement of the story I believe. If you look at my last paragraph, I talk about how the death Naruto predicts should they end up fighting each other could be achieved in ways we don't see clearly now; a union of the sort you speak about could be seen as such a death, and it would have the added benefit of allowing Sakura to fully love Naruto, because he'd also be Sasuke. So I don't think you are hugely off here, as far as story logic goes.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
deidara330
Mr. Serious

deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.deidara330 is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Quote:
@deidara330
While I didn't post the distinction here, if you read what I said in the chapter 548 discussion (no reason you should've, I know), you'd see that I actually said that it would at least be the end of the current central conflict. Whether it's the actual end of the entire story, I don't know, and as I said it's not a necessary end in any case.

But think about this: how much do we know about Kabuto's heritage? Almost nothing, right? Right. Maybe he plays into the story in a way we don't yet suspect, and which feeds into my theory.
If it's relevant you might as well re-post it in this thread's OP. I also never thought you said it was a necessary end.

We don't know anything about Kabuto's heritage, but we do know about his backstory and goals, to an extent.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deidara330 View Post
If it's relevant you might as well re-post it in this thread's OP. I also never thought you said it was a necessary end.

We don't know anything about Kabuto's heritage, but we do know about his backstory and goals, to an extent.
True. Edit made. I was trying to be concise, but it backfired. Meh. But my point about Kabuto is that it could easily fit into the theme of the story, because much of the story is based on clan/family relations, and we don't know what clan Kabuto belongs to. After all, it was a surprise when we learned that Nagato was an Uzumaki, and that has unexplored implications for Naruto -- and perhaps the entire story.

--George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Jutsu Junkie; 07-24-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
TenTailedBeastJuubi
Freshmen Academy Student

TenTailedBeastJuubi is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

I have always thought that naruto would at some point become the Bijuu's jinchuuriki, although im not so sure about Sasuke redeeming himself. If he was to redeem himself, i think it would be by helping naruto defeat whoever the final villain in the series is. Another possible ending to the story i have thought of is ending the story with both sasuke and naruto dying, and in memory the village carves naruto's face into the hokage mountain, so in a way naruto's dream comes true, athough he never really becomes the hokage.
TenTailedBeastJuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
deidara330
Mr. Serious

Quote:
True. Edit made. I was trying to be concise, but it backfired. Meh. But my point about Kabuto is that it could easily fit into the theme of the story, because much of the story is based on clan/family relations, and we don't know what clan Kabuto belongs to. After all, it was a surprise when we learned that Nagato was an Uzumaki, and that has unexplored implications for Naruto -- and perhaps the entire story.
We at least know from his backstory that Kabuto never had a family. Anyone related to him should be dead since he was the sole survivor of a battle his clan appears to have been involved in. It could fit into a lot of themes, depending on where the author wants to go with it.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deidara330 View Post
We at least know from his backstory that Kabuto never had a family. Anyone related to him should be dead since he was the sole survivor of a battle his clan appears to have been involved in. It could fit into a lot of themes, depending on where the author wants to go with it.
That is perhaps the very reason for his vague background. You have to have clay before you can make a pot. You don't see this very often in Naruto, though. It feels like a relatively "tight" story, in that connections and references don't usually feel like they came out of nowhere.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
kalmeast
April's Member of the Month

kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJunkie4 View Post
Aw man, for a second I thought you were gonna go with my idea. I agree that sasuke has to have some sort of closure with naruto ending on a good note, however I have a different idea about how the union will ultimately occur. Basically I would NOT like to see naruto and sasuke team up. What I would like to see is the two of them becoming one being so that the separation of the SSP's sons (the eldest with the eyes and the youngest with the spirit) becomes united again thus achieving the SSP's goal. Has anyone noticed how the end of part 1 totally foreshadowed the ending of part 2? First the gesture that naruto and sasuke made after clashing which symbolized that they were still friends. Second, kakashi stating how the valley reflected the never ending battle between the senju and uchiha. Basically what I am saying is that naruto and sasuke need to make the gesture BUT also need to become one single being. This means that one way or the another, the juubi must be resurrected and sasuke must become the host. Sasuke's hatred will become the juubi's will and thus sasuke will become the juubi. Naruto will seal the juubi/sasuke inside himself HOWEVER he will do what the SSP could not. He will confront sasuke/juubi inside of him (much like how he fought the fox) and they will battle and ultimately sasuke will be wavered and the two will make the gesture thus eradicating sasuke's hatred and destroying the juubi once and for all. Naruto will then become the jinchurikee of sasuke and become the ultimate shinobi. Anyway that's the only way I can see the union of the two sons and what has already been foreshadowed unfold.
Hahaha! Man, that's so crazy but awesome and sad and the same time...It'd be truly epic and unpredictable. I like it overall. I have a theory of the Origin of the Sharingan and this could fit it somehow...hehe...

@Jutsu Junkie: This is really a good theory...although it was long, the writing skills was near flawless and enjoyable.
one thing though to keep in mind is that Rikoudo Sennin De-Jinchurikify himself before giving his powers to the two sons.

No Body Steals Madara Uchiha's Body And Get Away With It... Not Even Kaguya!
kalmeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmeast View Post
@Jutsu Junkie: This is really a good theory...although it was long, the writing skills was near flawless and enjoyable.
one thing though to keep in mind is that Rikoudo Sennin De-Jinchurikify himself before giving his powers to the two sons.
Thanks, kalmeast! As far as the RS is concerned, that makes him a truly tough SOB. He gets rid of the Tentailed Beast (something that would outright kill almost everyone else), then proceeds to cast a Chibaku Tensei powerful enough to create the moon, and then gives up his powers to his sons. All that, and he was on his deathbed. That's nuts.

But I was under the impression that his powers were just a birthright, not something he directly "gave" his sons through some kind of jutsu/power. So wouldn't they have already had his divided powers? In either case, in a world of demigods, RS was a god.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
kalmeast
April's Member of the Month

kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.kalmeast is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Thanks, kalmeast! As far as the RS is concerned, that makes him a truly tough SOB. He gets rid of the Tentailed Beast (something that would outright kill almost everyone else), then proceeds to cast a Chibaku Tensei powerful enough to create the moon, and then gives up his powers to his sons. All that, and he was on his deathbed. That's nuts.

I see your point here... But when RS got the Juubi out, the juubi was chakra-less. just an empty body so RS was able to use Chibaku Tensei (even after distributing the bijuu chakra into nine tails). He is strong enough to create that without being a jinchuriki of 10 tails. If Nagato can create that small version and RS b4 becoming Jinchuriki was way stronger than Nagato, he should be able to do it.

But I was under the impression that his powers were just a birthright, not something he directly "gave" his sons through some kind of jutsu/power. So wouldn't they have already had his divided powers? In either case, in a world of demigods, RS was a god.
i agree with you at this point...makes more sense that way and i re-viewed the chapters. you are right.

No Body Steals Madara Uchiha's Body And Get Away With It... Not Even Kaguya!
kalmeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

I think it's telling that the RS needed to seal the Juubi's body inside the moon, even after pulling out all it's chakra. That would kill any other creature, and apparently he either couldn't or didn't wish to destroy the creature's body.

--George Bernard Shaw