Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
sakura_blossom
Special Jonin Candidate

sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Default Toying with Genetics

Something that was brought up in my Biology class when we were doing genetics. I've been thinking about it for sometime now.

My teacher mentioned something about eventually being able basically create the child and make it what you want.

My question is does anyone agree with it?

Personally I don't. It takes away the beauty of nature as well as the surprise. I honestly think its trying to change something that shouldn't be changed
Old 06-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
White Zetsu
Chunin

White Zetsu saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!
Default Re: Toying with Genetics

well i agree it takes away the suprise and messes with nature bt it could annialate genetic diseases like down syndrome forever, but when you mes with one gene, you can never be sure how it will affect the others
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
White Zetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
sakura_blossom
Special Jonin Candidate

sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.sakura_blossom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Exaclty. I mean true it will get rid of genetic diseases but think about it. No one wants to be what someone wants them to be. ._.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
jenny
Special Jonin Candidate

jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

....wait..you saying we can make our babies like..ET..and all? O.o

EDIT: Anyway, I do also believe it'd be messed up. It's like having a over controlled mother or something saying you gotta be like this or that.
Uncool, man.
Breath out..

All these masks we wore
We never knew what we had in store..

Breath in,
Breathe out..
Breath in,
Breathe out..

The storm is rolling in,
The thunders loud,
it hurts my ears..

I'm paying for my sins,
And it's gonna rain for years and years..

Last edited by jenny; 06-23-2011 at 10:02 AM.
jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
sakura_blossom
Special Jonin Candidate

@Jen: No. I mean like its a human child but you can chose eye color hai color maybe even personalities and crap. basically who the child is going to be is in the hands of the parents...which isnt always a good idea.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
jenny
Special Jonin Candidate

jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.jenny has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Technically, it's already in the hands of the parents. The genes and traits do come from the parents already.
Except nature takes a toll to it as well. But still.
Breath out..

All these masks we wore

Breath in,
Breathe out..
Breath in,
Breathe out..

The storm is rolling in,
The thunders loud,
it hurts my ears..

I'm paying for my sins,

Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
sakura_blossom
Special Jonin Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny View Post
Technically, it's already in the hands of the parents. The genes and traits do come from the parents already.
Except nature takes a toll to it as well. But still.
._. I still don't think its right.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
jenny
Special Jonin Candidate

That the parents personally choose everything, rather let a natural experience choose the genes?
I think that's wrong too. It's different..it's artificial. Not right.
Breath out..

All these masks we wore

Breath in,
Breathe out..
Breath in,
Breathe out..

The storm is rolling in,
The thunders loud,
it hurts my ears..

I'm paying for my sins,

Old 06-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Kreegah!!!
Special Jonin Candidate

Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

I think it's perfect. The last thing parents need is for the mother to birth an eel because a stray alpha particle zapped a stem cell. Or 20.
Kreegah!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

To prevent disease it may be good...but people will abuse it for shallow purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spam once and the forum will be annoyed.
Spam twice and warnings will be deployed
Spam thrice and a infraction you will receive
Spam 8,984 times and a FAIL Agent you''ll soon be.

...At least in my case.
mrsticky005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
Nick Tasogare
Special Jonin Candidate

Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick Tasogare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
To prevent disease it may be good...but people will abuse it for shallow purposes.
Super powers.

Can Herr SRhyse and Frau Muffintop please remove my staff "powers"? The Mod Rules are a joke and everybody knows it lol I don't follow that last rule well enough, and I don't want to endanger the Communist Rule of the People's Republic of NDF. Thanks.

/Heil

Oh wait, now there's drama so I just have to watch this all blow up.
Nick Tasogare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tasogare View Post
Super powers.
People would abuse those too.

Spam once and the forum will be annoyed.
Spam twice and warnings will be deployed
Spam thrice and a infraction you will receive
Spam 8,984 times and a FAIL Agent you''ll soon be.

...At least in my case.
mrsticky005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
Rotate
Special Jonin Candidate

Rotate is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rotate is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rotate is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rotate is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Rotate is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

I know I would

Rotate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
sakura_blossom
Special Jonin Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
^this....
Old 06-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
White Zetsu
Chunin

White Zetsu saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

man (as a race) abuses power its been documented everywhere, power corrupts absolute power corrupts absolutely, so people will abuse anything... (Toast)
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
White Zetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #16
sakura_blossom
Special Jonin Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Zetsu View Post
man (as a race) abuses power its been documented everywhere, power corrupts absolute power corrupts absolutely, so people will abuse anything... (Toast)
Which is the reason why I think there are somethings in this world that we'll be better off learning and finding out, like the topic of this thread.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
PlatonicZombie
Chunin Exam Participant

PlatonicZombie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.PlatonicZombie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.PlatonicZombie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.PlatonicZombie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.PlatonicZombie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.PlatonicZombie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

I find people's interpretation of "man" offensive. haha! We are creatures of habit. Try to reason and logically explain away as much as you can, but we are. If we can change our habit's then we can change who we become, and change our views of humanity. Unfortunately, we've become lazy and have refused to overcome habituation. So, right now, I agree that such a power would be abused. However, those that were genetically "altered" will eventually be the onces that control that power. Perhaps, the negative interpretation of humanity would be gone by then.

But this just reminds me of a book called Childhood's End; where humanity is lost to evolution. This means strife, illness, and all of those things are gone, but so is art and any emotional feelings we use to feel. The book is about an alien race helping to usher us into this next stage of evolution, but this subject makes me think of us turning ourselves into strangers.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
Minoru
Previously Deidara Bro

Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

As we've learned from EVERY Sci-fi movie, it's a bad idea. I do not agree with it, any how.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #19
naruto_jock
The Asian Sensation

naruto_jock is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.naruto_jock is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.naruto_jock is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.naruto_jock is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.naruto_jock is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

In the sense of genetic engineering, the question that rises is if we were to genetically engineer our species to be better athletes, better musicians, or walking super computers will we just make it to where an elitist group is made where if you're now genetically modified you'll be the leaders of the world or be able to get the best jobs without question. If you have the chance you should ask your teacher to watch the movie called "Gattaca" where Ethan Hawke plays as "a-naturally-born" person and isn't able to do a lot in society because he wasn't genetically modified. It's a great movie that makes you think a lot about what would happen if we were to do this.

naruto_jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #20
chidoriroar
Chunin

chidoriroar is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

i hate the idea and who knows what can come from it!? its probablynever gonna work anyways!

the bitterness of this life is the sweetness of the next.

Give me rep and ill give you rep back.
dont talk about measking for rep since im not the only one doing it and theres nothing in the rules against it.
to the people who dont know, you have to include your name when giving rep and if your rep is less than one giving rep wont matter.
chidoriroar is offline   Reply With Quote