Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Colt45thrwngstar
Freshmen Academy Student
 
Colt45thrwngstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: THE State.
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 0
Colt45thrwngstar is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Here's a little excercise for everyone. I want you to read the following prompt, decide where your opinions lay, and then debate the opposite side.

The topic:

Organically grown foods and plants are better for us and better for the environment, than Genetically enhanced Foods and Plants.

Determine where your opinion lies, then debate the opposite of your opinion.
Colt45thrwngstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
TheViolletteHeart
Special Jonin Candidate
 
TheViolletteHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halfway to Anywhere
Posts: 2,130
Rep Power: 0
TheViolletteHeart is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

I don't know where I stand, sadly.
TheViolletteHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Cupcake
Veteran Chunin
Formerly and Forever Apa
 
Cupcake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunny San Diego <3
Posts: 4,391
Rep Power: 11
Cupcake has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Cupcake has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Cupcake has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Cupcake has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Cupcake has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Cupcake has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Cupcake has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

No. That is most definitely wrong. The pesticides and growth hormones in the genetic plants are better. Because they just are.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All I want are the brains of Gwen Stacy....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....with the body of Mary Jane
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Colt45thrwngstar
Freshmen Academy Student
 
Colt45thrwngstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: THE State.
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 0
Colt45thrwngstar is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

VioletHeart, if you don't know where you stand, do a little research.

Apa, focus on the 'environmental' side of the debate, and support your statements.
Colt45thrwngstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Lou!e
Special Jonin Candidate
 
Lou!e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 3,577
Rep Power: 10
Lou!e is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Lou!e
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Organic food is better, the risks for geneticaly enhanced food aren't worth it.
Lou!e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
TheViolletteHeart
Special Jonin Candidate
 
TheViolletteHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halfway to Anywhere
Posts: 2,130
Rep Power: 0
TheViolletteHeart is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45thrwngstar View Post
ViolletteHeart, if you don't know where you stand, do a little research.
Research will do me little good. I've learned plenty about the topic, but I really can't decide which side is right.

Oh, and I hope you don't mind me correcting the selling error.
TheViolletteHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Colt45thrwngstar
Freshmen Academy Student
 
Colt45thrwngstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: THE State.
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 0
Colt45thrwngstar is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Don't mind you correcting my spelling at all, s'long as you don't use it to invalidate anything I say. *grins*

When posting in this topic, don't just make a statement, backup your statements.

Saying that 'Its better for X' is invalid, unless you can provide a -reason- for it to be.
Colt45thrwngstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Gamabunta
Big Bad Bully
Tactless
 
Gamabunta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 9,139
Rep Power: 13
Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Gamabunta finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Plants?

My diet is 100% meat.
__________________
Aurego and Noodles
Gamabunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Colt45thrwngstar
Freshmen Academy Student
 
Colt45thrwngstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: THE State.
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 0
Colt45thrwngstar is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

And Viollette, if you can't pick a side you agree with, for the purposes of this topic, just pick a side via flip of the coin, and go! *grins* Do it. Share with us!
Colt45thrwngstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
Colt45thrwngstar
Freshmen Academy Student
 
Colt45thrwngstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: THE State.
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 0
Colt45thrwngstar is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Ok, I'll expand it to cover meet too. We have '100% organic Chicken, and Genetically enhanced Chicken' as well.
Colt45thrwngstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Lou!e
Special Jonin Candidate
 
Lou!e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 3,577
Rep Power: 10
Lou!e is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Lou!e
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamabunta View Post
Plants?

My diet is 100% meat.
That isn't good, in your pic it doesn't look like that. You will die young with tha diet.
Lou!e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
TheViolletteHeart
Special Jonin Candidate
 
TheViolletteHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halfway to Anywhere
Posts: 2,130
Rep Power: 0
TheViolletteHeart is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Okay...Flipping a coin...Alright!

If we didn't have genetically modified plants, we wouldn't be able to, say, get fresh, locally-grown tomatoes in winter. All the plants would freeze and die. And, modifications make crops less vulnerable for diseases. Also, they could probably modify the genes to make produce more healthy.
TheViolletteHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
Colt45thrwngstar
Freshmen Academy Student
 
Colt45thrwngstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: THE State.
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 0
Colt45thrwngstar is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

But the chemicals used to genetically modify plants and animals are harmfull to the environment, and are even capable of causing unexpected genitic mutations. Genetic pesticideds are a bad idea because they can become too effective, and ruin an eco system, so can the plants themselves, or genetically enhanced animals.
Colt45thrwngstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
The 1st Hokage
Monster Disciple
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bein' naked in your closet. Don't worry, I'm not comin out.
Posts: 11,382
Rep Power: 13
The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

i dont give a crap as long as it taste good
__________________
I AM GAY FOR SHIKA<3

Quote:
I looked at the post and laughed SO HARD again! I hate you, 1st Hokage.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I AM STRAIGHT FOR VEX<3



I AM ALSO GAY FOR JONESY<3
The 1st Hokage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
The Demon Zabuza
"Infamous"
 
The Demon Zabuza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England Awesomeness: 9,001
Posts: 14,027
Rep Power: 15
The Demon Zabuza finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.The Demon Zabuza finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.The Demon Zabuza finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.The Demon Zabuza finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.The Demon Zabuza finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.The Demon Zabuza finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.The Demon Zabuza finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.The Demon Zabuza finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.The Demon Zabuza finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.The Demon Zabuza finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45thrwngstar View Post
But the chemicals used to genetically modify plants and animals are harmfull to the environment, and are even capable of causing unexpected genitic mutations. Genetic pesticideds are a bad idea because they can become too effective, and ruin an eco system, so can the plants themselves, or genetically enhanced animals.
Look at DDT. That was a pesticide that destroyed eco-systems.

Also, you might want to include animals in this as well, as they can also be intensively farmed.
__________________
Spoiler:
Wifey #1: Muffin


Wifey #2: Looney
Wifey #3: SillyTobi
Wifey #4: Gaara's Girl
Wifey #5: i_love_kakashi
Wifey #6: Kiseki
Wifey #7: XxblackxX
Wifey #8: Kiku
Wifey #9: Jonesy
Wifey #10: Kuromaki
Husband #1: Sharikage
Husband #2: Shika
Husband #3: Vex Mizuki
Husband #3056: Chidori of Death

I love them longtime. <3.

Student: Muffintop
Honey/Professor-person: Kazumi
Ma name is mistah fluffie-kins
Hikari is my daughter
MasterOfPain is also my daughter
Lady Tsunade is my ex-daughter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'ma rogue ninja!
Sex toy: JenniferWonderland
Slave: EmoSakura
Spoiler:

Quote:
Are we aloud to post bathing suit pics?
8D
Quote:
*swoons @ TDZ's pictures*
B-)
Quote:
TDZ is so hot.. naked ;D
Damn right.
Quote:
~glomps everyone in thread~
Ah! he reveals his true self at last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKunoichixxx
I love you!!! And have done since I first layed my eyes on you!!!
I feel I should point out this was a dare. But it still counts.
Quote:
*Puts Chloroform onto Tissue*
TDZ is mine!
I approve of this statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasori
First person to not know who TDZ is.
Out of 21,000 members, only one of them doesn't know me. I call that a win.
It's precisely what you're thinking. I'm just that cool.
Quote:
Holycrapstoplookingsogoodonmycomputerscreenwasnote xpectingthatkthx

*Falls off chair
Guess what I had just posted a picture of. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_kakashi
Yes, you can make my kitty purr lol
Think about synonyms for kitty, then realize what she just said. ;D
Quote:
Quit being so naughty my kitty is starting to purr lolz
See above. xDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosuke Aizen
I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER
Once again, a dare. But have you seen this girl? I mean, dayum.
Incest FTW.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
You know me well.

Furthermore, as much as I find you unbelievably attractive at this point, please warn me next time.

/Hides eyes from bashfulness
Apparently, I'm hot enough to cause health issues.

Quote:
Your spot in my bed is waiting.
Sorry, but I have to go... uhh.... water my fish. *runs off to Sosuke*
Quote:
~Goes to bed with you.~ ;D!
Quote:
TDZ rejected is like cookie monster saying no to oreos
Quote:
*comes in in a school girl outfit* I'M TDZ'S FANGIRL!!
Quote:
I take back everything i've said about u-sie. u-sie hot! >.<

Spoiler:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
there u go! ^^(that is a good thing)
Quote:
Meh sweet TDZ! I lovers you bunches. ♥
Quote:
Rejection makes you stronger you know.

It's a wonder you aren't a bodybuilder.
Quote:
200 miles is a long way to an Englishmen, just like 200 years is a long time to an American.
Quote:
>.> Curse you and your infinite sig possibilities... >.<"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi uzumaki
i want to be urs, i want that beautiful smile to be mine
Quote:
UGK: This user has yet to learn the difference between an incorrigible ladies man and a pathetic weirdo hanging out at the park is that the ladies have to be interested.

TDZ: See above, but he has figured it out.
Quote:
TDZ, Your brain scares me in ways only clowns used to. I wish I was that smart at your age.
Quote:
Quote:
Dude...I don't care what you're wearing..mud or sand always finds its way in your pants when you play with it.
Rather like me. xDD
Quote:
TDZ somehow you just became more awesome.
Quote:
TDZ is 100% British Fan-Girl ( and is some cases Boy) Bait who is filling Girl's/Boy's Hearts with enjoyment with near every word he types.
Quote:
Hollywood got Rob Pattinson.
Viz got TDZ.
Quote:
Master/wife loves you too baby. x3
Quote:
TDZ is built amazing, not wimping, amazingly awesome shiny hair, and a hot accent. I think he wins. xD
<link rel="signature" type="text/hilarious" href="/funnysig.txt" />

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaara's Girl
*Keeps raping TDZ* P:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
TDZ I f****** love you
Quote:
isnt every thread basically about the demon zabuza
Quote:
*Humping* xD
YOU'RE MY DADDY! YOOUU'RE MY DADDY! X333
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoD
I wanna be in your siggy ._.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki
/noms on Nick in the bush

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Demon Zabuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
Colt45thrwngstar
Freshmen Academy Student
 
Colt45thrwngstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: THE State.
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 0
Colt45thrwngstar is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Topic allready expanded to include animals.
Colt45thrwngstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #17
Sabra Kusabana
Veteran Chunin
 
Sabra Kusabana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: I reject your reality, and institute my own.
Posts: 1,307
Rep Power: 0
Sabra Kusabana is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Sabra Kusabana
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Okay, you are ganna make this difficult for me because I do not fully support or go against either, and I have no coin at hand to flip...

My veiw is that I'm okay with altering the plant, but I dislike the use of most pesticides. In essence I support growing mutations, but prefer organic processes in the field. I understand the need for different plants, and the reason for them to be altered. I also understand the damage so many chemicals cause to the eco-system.

There's little space for a happy medium. I can't say I don't approve of mutant plants or other food sources because I know right now there are countries being sustained because of mutated foods like rice and corn. Specially breed and altered plants are a large part of the world's food sourses. To take them out of the field for their natural cousins would cause mass starvation in some areas.

Organic planting and growing has proven to be healthier, but sometimes alot of crops are lost to pest because of it. Often this results in fighting bugs with more bugs that are their natural enemies. This can result in alot of unpredictable variables, making growing a successful crop difficult. Still the benefits of the trouble are worth it.

I believe in radiation treatments for foods to so that they keep longer. What's it matter if you grow enough food and it spoils before it gets to those that need it to eat? Radiation usually does not damage a product, but kills the bacteria in it in a similar way to pasteriation. The two are basically the same, I support both processes.

Saying one way or the other is better is not always looking at the whole problem. I disagree with most chemical pesticides because of side effects, and I know that if we reverted to 'purely natural' food sources we would have global food issues. Most of what is not organic has simply been breed for a trait, not always mutated; still, most group the two together.

I find it difficult to argue the other point of veiw on this topic, because there's a certain amount of support and dislike of both, so I can't fulfill what you asked for in the title, sorry. I can say that calling one wrong for one reason can be turned on the other just as easily, because they are similar in many ways, and so difficult to discuss.

I don't approve of breeding for none food reasons like we do with dogs and such, but for the purpose of supplying a need I can accept it. I'm okay with the development of medical drugs to fight illness, which is the same as the chemicals used on crops when you think about it. So I'm really at a crossroads. Both have excellent points, but both also fail to be perfect. That's my piece about the issue.
Sabra Kusabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #18
Shkin
Veteran Chunin
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,645
Rep Power: 11
Shkin is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Shkin is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Shkin is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Shkin is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Shkin is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabra Kusabana View Post
Okay, you are ganna make this difficult for me because I do not fully support or go against either, and I have no coin at hand to flip...

My veiw is that I'm okay with altering the plant, but I dislike the use of most pesticides. In essence I support growing mutations, but prefer organic processes in the field. I understand the need for different plants, and the reason for them to be altered. I also understand the damage so many chemicals cause to the eco-system.

There's little space for a happy medium. I can't say I don't approve of mutant plants or other food sources because I know right now there are countries being sustained because of mutated foods like rice and corn. Specially breed and altered plants are a large part of the world's food sourses. To take them out of the field for their natural cousins would cause mass starvation in some areas.

Organic planting and growing has proven to be healthier, but sometimes alot of crops are lost to pest because of it. Often this results in fighting bugs with more bugs that are their natural enemies. This can result in alot of unpredictable variables, making growing a successful crop difficult. Still the benefits of the trouble are worth it.

I believe in radiation treatments for foods to so that they keep longer. What's it matter if you grow enough food and it spoils before it gets to those that need it to eat? Radiation usually does not damage a product, but kills the bacteria in it in a similar way to pasteriation. The two are basically the same, I support both processes.

Saying one way or the other is better is not always looking at the whole problem. I disagree with most chemical pesticides because of side effects, and I know that if we reverted to 'purely natural' food sources we would have global food issues. Most of what is not organic has simply been breed for a trait, not always mutated; still, most group the two together.

I find it difficult to argue the other point of veiw on this topic, because there's a certain amount of support and dislike of both, so I can't fulfill what you asked for in the title, sorry. I can say that calling one wrong for one reason can be turned on the other just as easily, because they are similar in many ways, and so difficult to discuss.

I don't approve of breeding for none food reasons like we do with dogs and such, but for the purpose of supplying a need I can accept it. I'm okay with the development of medical drugs to fight illness, which is the same as the chemicals used on crops when you think about it. So I'm really at a crossroads. Both have excellent points, but both also fail to be perfect. That's my piece about the issue.

indeed you are one of my favorites in this forum. =D

i am not really sure that there is still organic "thing" in the market today. but for the sake of argument, i am still for organic for its claim on being healthier for us. but since the world now is so much "mutated" we also need "mutants" to live in it. =D
Shkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #19
TheViolletteHeart
Special Jonin Candidate
 
TheViolletteHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halfway to Anywhere
Posts: 2,130
Rep Power: 0
TheViolletteHeart is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45thrwngstar View Post
Genetic pesticideds are a bad idea because they can become too effective, and ruin an eco system, so can the plants themselves, or genetically enhanced animals.
Is this proven by fact, or just a theory?

Adressing pesticides, you do know they have environmentally friendly pesticides, right? For example, you can spray a plant with soap and water to ward off pests.
TheViolletteHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #20
Sabra Kusabana
Veteran Chunin
 
Sabra Kusabana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: I reject your reality, and institute my own.
Posts: 1,307
Rep Power: 0
Sabra Kusabana is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Sabra Kusabana
Default Re: Debate for the side of the Argument you disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkin View Post
indeed you are one of my favorites in this forum. =D

i am not really sure that there is still organic "thing" in the market today. but for the sake of argument, i am still for organic for its claim on being healthier for us. but since the world now is so much "mutated" we also need "mutants" to live in it. =D
You're right, I don't think there still is organic in this market. Even the shops that market organic often get produce from plants breed for specific traits. It's the way things are.

And ty for the compliment. I try to make only valid arguements, and be entertaining while I do it.
Sabra Kusabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.