Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Great Off-Topica > Off-Topic

Off-Topic For anything under the sun that won't fit elsewhere!

Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
Miss Kitty
Supreme Master

Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via Yahoo to Miss Kitty
Default Re: Advice to Teen Girls about Cyber Bullying..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Hush, just go with it. P:
/hushes forever :x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki View Post
I'll read this tomorrow, I promise. <3
Do eet! =) <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
Very nice read my dear! And I agree with Magic.. nothing is wrong with your nose. D=
Kitty and wooster

Spoiler:
Awww^^

edit: Damn I can't rep you for your siggy...
Thanks mama! <3 My nose has issues though.. I almost typed tissues

My siggy is hawt, no? P:

Spoiler:
I lub you too though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulFairie View Post
Miss Kitty, I recall telling you that I would destroy Wooster and all that he cares about...
Oh lawdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Naruto- View Post
dontknowwhattosay.gif
ifyoucantsayanythingnicedontsaynuttin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3thall3g3nd View Post
If I could I would rep you for this post.

Everyone at some point in there lifes has most likley been bulied but people deal with it in differen't ways. For me people could say what they want to me and I wouldn't take notice but if people brang my family into it then I switch and just have it with anyone, that's the way i dealt with it and because of that I didn't get picked as much as others because people knew I would have it raither than just take getting picked on.

Nice thread Meg and theres nothing wrong with your nose your just being silly their and your love is returned.
My main problem is when things get personal. When things are purposely brought up with the intention of hitting the person where it hurts most. I also feel those that encourage it or laugh about it are just as bad as the ones doing the bullying. Most things I can just ignore.. but yeah, you bring my family into it, we gots us a problem for sure.

THERE IS!!! D:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

J
ust Call Me Purrs-Hella-Lot Hoe =(^.^)= -JAFL ScrappY Approves!
How's my posting? Dial 1-800-Eat-Poop

Miss Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Kitty View Post
/hushes forever :x
Best thing a woman could ever do.

Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
Miss Kitty
Supreme Master

Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Miss Kitty is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Best thing a woman could ever do.
Don't bully me, mister! =(

Oh wait, I forgot.

/hushes again :x

J

Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #24
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

I knew you couldn't do it

Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
Kiseki
Release the Kraken!

Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Kiseki is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I would have *loved* for someone to step up for me.
If that one person once never stood up for me, I would have been dead by now.
God bless those who stand up for other people that can't seem to escape.

Thank you for posting this Meg. We love you too <3
Ps. There's nothing wrong with your nose. I never even thought of that.

Kiseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #26
moonwatcher
The girl known as Raspy

moonwatcher is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.moonwatcher is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
moonwatcher is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.moonwatcher is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.moonwatcher is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.moonwatcher is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.moonwatcher is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.moonwatcher is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.moonwatcher is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.moonwatcher is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via Skype™ to moonwatcher

Quote:
Thanks mama! <3 My nose has issues though.. I almost typed tissues
My siggy is hawt, no? P:

Spoiler:
I lub you too though!
mm dat sig P=

Spoiler:
I lub you too my dear <3
moonwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #27
l3thall3g3nd
Chunin Exam Proctor

l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

Quote:
My main problem is when things get personal. When things are purposely brought up with the intention of hitting the person where it hurts most. I also feel those that encourage it or laugh about it are just as bad as the ones doing the bullying. Most things I can just ignore.. but yeah, you bring my family into it, we gots us a problem for sure.

THERE IS!!! D:
Yeah I agree that people who laugh about it are just as bad as the people actually bullying, the bad thing about now days is that it is never 1 on 1 when people wan't to actually wan't to sort their differences with violence so unless you have mates who are willing to back you in that situation then your just going to get banged out. I found this out the hard way when someone said something about my dad and I switched then we got in a fight and within 15 seconds 10 of his mates jumped in and I got absolutely battered, this was all happening while my supposed mates were watching me getting a beating of a life time.

Meg your just being paranoid about your nose.
l3thall3g3nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #28
Miss Kitty
Supreme Master

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki View Post
If that one person once never stood up for me, I would have been dead by now.
God bless those who stand up for other people that can't seem to escape.

Thank you for posting this Meg. We love you too <3
Ps. There's nothing wrong with your nose. I never even thought of that.
Awww, I would love to stick up for you anytime. =)

Thanks, you're sweet! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
mm dat sig P=

Spoiler:
I lub you too my dear <3
Gotta look for a new tasty one! hahaha
Quote:
Yeah I agree that people who laugh about it are just as bad as the people actually bullying, the bad thing about now days is that it is never 1 on 1 when people wan't to actually wan't to sort their differences with violence so unless you have mates who are willing to back you in that situation then your just going to get banged out. I found this out the hard way when someone said something about my dad and I switched then we got in a fight and within 15 seconds 10 of his mates jumped in and I got absolutely battered, this was all happening while my supposed mates were watching me getting a beating of a life time.

Meg your just being paranoid about your nose.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Nobody can handle their own drama without making it a huge group thing. I'm glad you're okay though! O.O

If you say so. <.< Thanks

J

Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
Ag_Surfr
QuickSilver

Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Quote:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Nobody can handle their own drama without making it a huge group thing. I'm glad you're okay though! O.O

If you say so. <.< Thanks
weak people find strength in numbers. without the help of other insecure, feeble-minded instigators, they'd never do anything.

Ag_Surfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #30
CrackFat
Jacqass

Location: i want to be pregnat with ur gardenign seed pink ninja amke me a flower
CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

First, I rolled my eyes at the nose part. Like seriously?
As someone who has been bullied for the size of their nose I really think you need to try and be rational instead of nitpicking about something so superficial.
It's beautiful, as long as you believe it is. Society seems to define what is and what isn't 'hot'/'pretty', it pressures us girls to be insecure about every frickin part of our bodies. It's sick and twisted, which is why I think everyone should stop empowering this belief!
If I see anyone complaining about being ugly again, I swear I'll whack them right in the virtual face. I wish we would all stop associating 'pretty' with 'good' and 'ugly' with 'bad' when it comes to looks because it teaches people to believe that 'ugly' people are 'bad' people by default.

Second, comic sans tho.

Third, nice thread.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #31
l3thall3g3nd
Chunin Exam Proctor

l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.l3thall3g3nd completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackFat View Post
As someone who has been bullied for the size of their nose I really think you need to try and be rational instead of nitpicking about something so superficial.
It's beautiful, as long as you believe it is. Society seems to define what is and what isn't 'hot'/'pretty', it pressures us girls to be insecure about every frickin part of our bodies. It's sick and twisted, which is why I think everyone should stop empowering this belief!
If I see anyone complaining about being ugly again, I swear I'll whack them right in the virtual face. I wish we would all stop associating 'pretty' with 'good' and 'ugly' with 'bad' when it comes to looks because it teaches people to believe that 'ugly' people are 'bad' people by default.

Second, comic sans tho.

Third, nice thread.
100% agree woman are judged very harshly on there looks from a early age which makes them very insecure which leads some of them to want to get plastic surgery to change the way they look, just to please people who say they look "ugly" which is very sad.
l3thall3g3nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #32
Ag_Surfr
QuickSilver

Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ag_Surfr is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Quote:
100% agree woman are judged very harshly on there looks from a early age which makes them very insecure which leads some of them to want to get plastic surgery to change the way they look, just to please people who say they look "ugly" which is very sad.
most of that wouldn't happen if they had more emotional support from the people they care about in order to feel better about themselves so that the insults would have as much (or any) effect on them.

one of the biggest problems is that it's often the people that they care about who also make them feel insecure, then when other people judge them harshly, it reinforces the idea that they're not good enough.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #33
CrackFat
Jacqass

Location: i want to be pregnat with ur gardenign seed pink ninja amke me a flower
CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.CrackFat is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag_Surfr View Post
most of that wouldn't happen if they had more emotional support from the people they care about in order to feel better about themselves so that the insults would have as much (or any) effect on them.

one of the biggest problems is that it's often the people that they care about who also make them feel insecure, then when other people judge them harshly, it reinforces the idea that they're not good enough.
False.

Magazines, television, other media and communities all force feed us this ideal image of what a woman should LOOK like, how a woman should ACT and how a woman should be TREATED. This is disgusting.
When I was a teenager my mom would tell me I was beautiful all the time, even some friends would say I was pretty, did it help? No, not at all.
Why not? Because the general ideal was still out there, it wouldn't go away just because someone close to me would tell me I'm pretty. I knew what a 'hot' model looked like, and it was nothing like myself. The only way to feel secure about yourself is when you accept yourself the way you are, flaws and all. Others can be as supportive as they want but it's not going to change anything as long as you keep trying to measure up against society's expectations. And lets face it, we all participate in it.

Girls; "My ex has a new girlfriend." "Aww, but at least she's ugly!"

Boys; "I slept with a girl last night" "Was she hot?"

So why would someone telling me I'm pretty be a good thing? It shouldn't, it's just another side effect of this standard that society has forced upon us. People telling you you look pretty is in itself a horrible thing because it yet again feeds us the idea that the outside is important. Oh you're pretty? Good, now I approve of you.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #34
Ag_Surfr
QuickSilver

Oh, come off it mate; if you're going to try and pretend that other peoples' opinions don't matter to most then I will concede that only your beliefs about yourself should matter, but if we're going to talk about reality and the way most people actually behave then having support and encouragement from those we care about goes a long way to help individuals have more self-confidence. That in turn is some of the best defense against others who may attempt to denigrate you.

I also think you're way off base when you deride the compliments those close to you may pay you, particularly at a young age. It's not like at that point they're comparing you to society's standards of beauty or anything, they're just expressing how they feel.

As you get older, the problem that arises stems from seeking reinforcement from different sets of people oftentimes and caring more about those opinions than the ones from the ones who really care about you. Sure, you'll be running into the problem of conflicting opinions but then it's up to you to decide which ones to believe or let affect you.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #35
Miss Kitty
Supreme Master

Awards Showcase

Quote:
weak people find strength in numbers. without the help of other insecure, feeble-minded instigators, they'd never do anything.
True dat. It's pretty amazing how well ignoring works.
Quote:

Second, comic sans tho.

Third, nice thread.
First, yes, seriously...and I prefer just using this: I was stating an example of bullying and that is one of the topics of bullying I've dealt with that has made me more self conscious. There are many different forms of bullying and it's not all based on superficial things, but that is definitely one of the most popular things that bullies center their attention on because they know it will cause more impact in a personal way.
I never said that I'm ugly, so not sure who that is aimed at. I'm just saying I'm self conscious of the way my nose looks because of prior incidents.

Second, yes comic sans cause it's my thang.

Third, thanks?

J

Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #36
Ag_Surfr
QuickSilver

Quote:

First, yes, seriously...and I prefer just using this: I was stating an example of bullying and that is one of the topics of bullying I've dealt with that has made me more self conscious. There are many different forms of bullying and it's not all based on superficial things, but that is definitely one of the most popular things that bullies center their attention on because they know it will cause more impact in a personal way.
I never said that I'm ugly, so not sure who that is aimed at. I'm just saying I'm self conscious of the way my nose looks because of prior incidents.

Third, thanks?

i wonder if they do it because they think it will have a major impact, or because they're so shallow and superficial (probably also lack creativity and insight) that they can't come up with anything else.

maybe a combination of the two: that's the best they can do, and they know that it will hurt.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #37
Rage [VG]
Chunin

Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Rage [VG] completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

Nothing much to say about bullying, besides it's sad and won't ever fly with me. I'll argue to my last breath with anyone I think is being out of line. And I'm pretty good at it.
Rage [VG] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #38
CrackFat
Jacqass

Awards Showcase

Quote:
i wonder if they do it because they think it will have a major impact, or because they're so shallow and superficial (probably also lack creativity and insight) that they can't come up with anything else.

maybe a combination of the two: that's the best they can do, and they know that it will hurt.
They're probably just shallow. Only shallow people would pick on others for their looks.

Quote:

Third, thanks?

I know this was an example of bullying and I'm relating to that as someone who had the same treatment, but I'm assuring you that you should feel good about the way you look regardless of what others have said. It makes me roll my eyes because to me, there is nothing wrong with your nose. It looks fine and shouldn't even be considered worrying about. But I guess that's just the way the brain works, we all have something to complain so I shouldn't really be that surprised.

The ugly part was aimed at the general audience because a lot of people have issues with the way they feel about themselves. I was sharing my view on it because I'm bothered by it.

Yes, it was meant as compliment because I think you made a great post. I can say nice things.

Quote:
Oh, come off it mate; if you're going to try and pretend that other peoples' opinions don't matter to most then I will concede that only your beliefs about yourself should matter, but if we're going to talk about reality and the way most people actually behave then having support and encouragement from those we care about goes a long way to help individuals have more self-confidence. That in turn is some of the best defense against others who may attempt to denigrate you.

I also think you're way off base when you deride the compliments those close to you may pay you, particularly at a young age. It's not like at that point they're comparing you to society's standards of beauty or anything, they're just expressing how they feel.

As you get older, the problem that arises stems from seeking reinforcement from different sets of people oftentimes and caring more about those opinions than the ones from the ones who really care about you. Sure, you'll be running into the problem of conflicting opinions but then it's up to you to decide which ones to believe or let affect you.
I'm not saying opinions and compliments don't matter, all I'm saying is that in they shouldn't. Yes, it's nice when friends say nice things, it's strengthens the bond, but my opinion is that when people feel bad about themselves they should overcome those insecurities on their own before they truly believe the nice things others say about them. Support is always important, but not always effective. It's not going to 'save' everyone. That's what I mean to say, even though people may come from a supportive home and have supportive friends who stick to them doesn't mean they don't feel insecure still. That might never go away.

No one consciously compares you to society's standards, it's just integrated in human behavior since it stems from exactly that. Everyone benefits from getting compliments but I'm trying to point out that compliments can be a dangerous thing. I know why people give them, and it's not with bad intentions. I'm not stupid. But when you think about it, it might draw a line between people who get complimented regularly by people who aren't even that close to them, and people who don't because they're not as good looking etc. You can't change the way the human mind works, nor reality. But that doesn't mean I agree with it. I don't agree on how we humans find beauty so important because it singles out those gifted with something they did not earn, they were born that way.

I agree, but not everyone can choose which side affects them most. It happens regardless of choice.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #39
Ag_Surfr
QuickSilver

Quote:
I'm not saying opinions and compliments don't matter, all I'm saying is that in they shouldn't. Yes, it's nice when friends say nice things, it's strengthens the bond, but my opinion is that when people feel bad about themselves they should overcome those insecurities on their own before they truly believe the nice things others say about them. Support is always important, but not always effective. It's not going to 'save' everyone. That's what I mean to say, even though people may come from a supportive home and have supportive friends who stick to them doesn't mean they don't feel insecure still. That might never go away.

No one consciously compares you to society's standards, it's just integrated in human behavior since it stems from exactly that. Everyone benefits from getting compliments but I'm trying to point out that compliments can be a dangerous thing. I know why people give them, and it's not with bad intentions. I'm not stupid. But when you think about it, it might draw a line between people who get complimented regularly by people who aren't even that close to them, and people who don't because they're not as good looking etc. You can't change the way the human mind works, nor reality. But that doesn't mean I agree with it. I don't agree on how we humans find beauty so important because it singles out those gifted with something they did not earn, they were born that way.

I agree, but not everyone can choose which side affects them most. It happens regardless of choice.
you say that people should just magically overcome these insecurities on their own, but where do you think they'll get the courage, confidence, and strength to do it? is it your contention that people should just wake up one morning, look in the mirror, and say "i'm satisfied with myself; to hell with what everyone else thinks, including my loved ones"?

i'm not saying anything about "saving" anyone, i'm saying that being confident in yourself is often a result of encouragement and support from those around you before any sort of bullying/harassment/ or negative comments even occur.

i don't know what standards parents hold their children to, but i sincerely doubt that all or most of them first wonder about what society would think of them, then base their decision on whether to compliment them afterwards or not on that.

people can certainly choose which side affects them the most, but they have to first realize that it's up to them. most of the time people are too busy feeling weak and helpless to come to that conclusion. that's usually because they've already been conditioned for a long time to formulate opinions about themselves based on what other people think and say, particularly those who are doing the criticizing.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #40
CrackFat
Jacqass

Awards Showcase

Quote:
you say that people should just magically overcome these insecurities on their own, but where do you think they'll get the courage, confidence, and strength to do it? is it your contention that people should just wake up one morning, look in the mirror, and say "i'm satisfied with myself; to hell with what everyone else thinks, including my loved ones"?

i'm not saying anything about "saving" anyone, i'm saying that being confident in yourself is often a result of encouragement and support from those around you before any sort of bullying/harassment/ or negative comments even occur.

i don't know what standards parents hold their children to, but i sincerely doubt that all or most of them first wonder about what society would think of them, then base their decision on whether to compliment them afterwards or not on that.

people can certainly choose which side affects them the most, but they have to first realize that it's up to them. most of the time people are too busy feeling weak and helpless to come to that conclusion. that's usually because they've already been conditioned for a long time to formulate opinions about themselves based on what other people think and say, particularly those who are doing the criticizing.
Not at all. It's a struggle that takes years and years of rational thought and self discovery. Yes we all need people around us that are a positive influence and make us feel like were worth something, we are social beings after all. But truly overcoming something you do by yourself, others may help sure, but it's still your personal achievement. People can tell you how to ride a bike, but you still have to do it yourself in order to be able to actually ride it the right way.

You really don't get it do you? The only compliments I am talking about are those based on appearance aka your face; where do they come from? What are they based on? I'm not implying we all consciously compare people to general standards and only then compliment them, what I'm implying is that the world would be a better place if people would learn to look past appearance. Not that this will ever happen, but if it did, there would probably be less bullies and less girls feeling like absolute crap. Yes I love being told I'm pretty, when my mother or someone else does it it makes me feel good. They do it because they love me for my personality and perhaps even for my looks. But that does not mean I automatically agree, hell naw. I am talking about the mindset of humanity and what we value the most. Because apparently we value big boobs, a hot body and a pretty face. Only few have the genetics to posses these features, which in my opinion makes it unfair to even consider demanding the female population to have them. Plastic surgery and eating disorders are skyrocketing for forks sake.

You and I are on a different page because apparently you don't realize I already flipped the page and started on a new chapter. You talk about bully victims who should have gotten more support from their loved ones in order to feel good about themselves and have the confidence to overcome bullying. I countered saying that even with all the love and support some people may get, it will not always help in the end. THEN I flipped the page, along came the chapter of what society demands of women, and how most of us can't measure up to those demands. I started hypothesizing WHY these demands exists and why we value them. I was watching a movie with friends this one time and they were complaining about the main character, he wasn't hot enough. When he had a sex scene (no not a porn) they were all disgusted. The mindset we all carry is twisted, like someone with good looks is more deserving of something than someone without. This is what I'm saying.