Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Mall > Video Game Central

Video Game Central For any and all game discussion threads not related to Naruto

Old 10-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #81
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Super High School Level Narcissist
Quasi-Admin

Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via MSN to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Maikeru D. Shinigami
Default Re: Games Review Thread

Exaggeration obviously. >_>

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
src="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Maikeru D. Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #82
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

D: Then don't take my words out of context after I've taken yours out.

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #83
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Quasi-Admin

Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via MSN to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Maikeru D. Shinigami

You take mine out, I take yours out. D:

YouTube:
src="
Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #84
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

If I ever finish Xenoblade I shall review it, but not with tenths of points

Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #85
Demise
Purple Flurp Disciple
WS-Genin

Demise is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Demise is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Demise is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Demise is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

/Prepares wall of text

Give me space, people. :P

Demise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #86
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

ESRB Rating: E

Controls: Controls are conveniently placed. My only qualm is that there wasn't any variety in the use of certain commands. For example, the primary kick, double jump and jump buttons are all you really NEED to complete the game. (Side missions and tasks not included.)

Sound: The soundtrack of the game is very limited. Most times I find myself being pretty bored of the music when I'm playing one area for more than a few minutes. However, when you first get to a new location, the music is very interesting. I feel that the music selection, in terms of being parallel with the climate and nature of the level to set the mood, was carefully selected and is appealing at first.

Replay Value: Moderate. Something about this game makes it fun when you're playing it, however, it also makes you feel as if it would be a drag to play through it all again. Most of the tasks later in the game are frustrating enough to ruin the game for you in terms of replay value. However, they are entertaining to play once. Overall, this category receives a replay value of moderate because of the extra orbs to collect, power cells and a hidden mission at the end after you beat the primary boss.

Summary: The story begins with a narration by Samos the Sage, master of the Green Eco. He speaks cryptically of the Precursors, the masters of the universe and creators of all life on the planet, and the powerful substance known as Eco. Meanwhile, Jak and his mischief-making best friend, Daxter, are making their way to Misty Island, against Samos' warnings. After arriving, they see two people plotting with an army of evil creatures known as Lurkers. The duo, worried by what they are seeing, prepare to leave, but are attacked by a large Lurker. Jak manages to destroy it using a barrel of Eco, but the explosion throws Daxter into a pool of Dark Eco. Daxter flies back out of the pit, transformed into an ottsel (a hybrid of an otter and a weasel), but otherwise unharmed. Returning to their village of Sandover, they seek help from Samos who states that only Gol Acheron, the Sage of Dark Eco, could change Daxter back.
The route north towards Gol is blocked by Fire Canyon, which can only be traversed with Keira's Zoomer (essentially a hoverbike) equipped with a heat shield fueled with enough Power Cells (spheres of energy). After Jak and Daxter collect enough Power Cells they make their way back to the Blue Sage's village. The village at the end of the canyon has been mostly destroyed by a giant cyborg Lurker named Klaww, while the Sage of Blue Eco who watches over the village has mysteriously vanished. Jak and Daxter find themselves in search of more Power Cells to energize an anti-gravity device and unblock the way to Klaww's lair at the peak. After opening a path up the mountain, they defeat Klaww and ride their Zoomer down the mountain to the Volcanic Crater.
Jak makes his way to the Red Sage's laboratory, where he learns that all of the sages except Samos have been kidnapped by the same people who Jak and Daxter saw speaking to Lurkers on Misty Island. The people turn out to be Gol Acheron and Maia Acheron, Gol's sister, who wish to flood the world with dark eco. Jak recovers more power cells so Keira can upgrade the Zoomer heat shield in order to navigate a lava-filled tunnel.
On the other side of the tunnel, in the Yellow Sage's lab, Keira declares that Samos has been captured as well. Journeying through Gol and Maia's citadel, Jak and Daxter successfully free all the sages, saving Samos last. He tells them that Gol and Maia are using all the sage's energies to power their robot, which is powerful enough to break open the Dark Eco silos. Jak and Daxter then travel to the top of the Dark Eco Silos to confront a reactivated Precursor Robot controlled by Gol and Maia. Jak battles the robot, but only disables it by destroying the robot's weapons. After this, 4 mini-silos, that are attached to the large silo, which each contain a different eco type shoot beams of light towards the middle of the silo in the air above, clashing and forming a pyramid-like shape. This combines all the ecos and forms into light eco. Daxter realizes that the Light Eco would change him back to normal if he were to absorb it, but ultimately allows Jak to use it and disable the robot.
Trapped in the robot, Gol and Maia sink into the Dark Eco silo, which then closes and traps them inside, presumably killing them both; Samos, however, is not certain that this is the case. The group's attention is then directed toward an immense Precursor Door, which can only open with the energy of 101 Power Cells. With the cells, the door opens to reveal an ambiguous large object enveloped in a blinding light; the details are explained in the next game.

Overall rating: 8

Last edited by Shikamaru Nara; 02-11-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #87
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Quasi-Admin

Awards Showcase

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ESRB Rating: M

Presentation: 9.5/10
The game is presented excellently. You are your own character in a fantasy world with dragons, orcs and all those things. You aren't just going through a story on a fairly decent size world. You are actually in a gigantic world with tons of things for you to do. The main quest was okay. It was pretty fun, but if it had been better, I would be able to give this section a 10.

Graphics: 9.5/10
I'm definitely pleased with the graphics. Everything looks lifelike, and I don't even have a problem with the faces. They are much better than anything that I could make right now for sure. That said, occasionally there are some odd graphic based glitches where you may find yourself walking on air or stuck somewhere. The graphics make the world feel real, even with the occasional oddity.

Sound: 9.5/10
The sound on the game is amazing. I'll be honest and say that I don't usually pay attention to it, or any music in the background of any game. However, when I am paying attention to the background music, I realize how awesome it is. It makes me feel like an adventurer, which is what this game is all about. That said, some of the soundtrack reminds me so much of Fable that I can't discern the music from each other.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
The gameplay, like everything else with the game, is also great. It's very easy to learn and there's so much you can do. You don't have to choose exactly what you want your character to be like from the beginning. Instead, you choose your race and edit your appearance. It's much nicer that way. At first, I didn't realize how much I could actually do in the game, so it just seemed like I was travelling a lot. Now that I've gotten use to it though, it's definitely awesome. It sometimes has its issues with actually hitting a target, and sometimes it doesn't look like you're actually hitting them. That kind of mixes in the graphics with the gameplay. I really enjoy using my werewolf form.

Lasting Appeal: 10/10
This is a game that I can definitely play for a long time. Usually, I just go through the main quest. In this game though, I loved to do all the side quests too. The Companions and Dark Brotherhood quests have definitely been fun. Though, sometimes it can still be way easy.

Overall: 9.5/10
While the game is great in every sense of the word, from story to graphics to gameplay to music, it still falls short enough for me to only give it a 9.5. That said, I'm not doing any scores that aren't whole numbers or half numbers. The game is fun, the world is huge, the sound is great, the graphics are awesome and the gameplay is fantastic. Despite some of its oddities and glitches, Skyrim delivers an experience that you can enjoy for weeks and months. If you aren't careful, it'll replace your "real" life.

YouTube:
src="
Old 09-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #88
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Quasi-Admin

Awards Showcase

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2

ESRB Rating: T

Presentation: 9/10
As a big time One Piece fan, the presentation of this game highly appeals to me. In fact, it appeals to me more than this 9 rating. There are 37 playable characters in the game. Though, 27 different characters, seeing as 10 characters are different versions of other characters, whom just have different movesets and refer to different versions of those characters. The story itself is an original story, which works great for a character centric game. Though the number of playables is a bit low, it definitely takes a big step forward in proving a fine experience. Also, add on about 15-20 support only characters. The story itself wasn't exceptional, but it was good fun. Evil Straw Hats? That was a pretty cool touch. It also allowed you to unlock certain other characters before certain Straw Hats. It's not innovative, it's fun. One Piece fans and Musou fans, should enjoy this game.

I'm greatly pleased with the graphics. In fact, I have no complaints. They are absolutely wonderful for what I would desire. Why then do I not give it a 10? For that little tingling in my mind that says, "It could be better". The art for the characters was spot on. But, the towns feel like a representation of the places from the manga as opposed to the actual places more often than not. That's not a bad thing at all. The game works perfectly well with the style it chose. I would just make it feel better if it went beyond making me feel inside the One Piece universe into actually making me feel like I was travelling IN the One Piece universe, if you catch my drift. Graphically excellent, with just that one suggestion for potential improvement.

The sound isn't the most amazing thing ever, musically. It provides a good background noise to keep the game interesting. But aside from one or two tracks, nothing really stands out that much. I would give this a 9, if not for the character voices. The character's voices are incredible. Which is to be expected due to the fact that the cast from the anime plays their respective voices in the game. From my adorable hun Perona to the cool Aokiji to the rough Akainu. Everyone sounds just as they do in the anime with no loss of expression in their voices. Which sometimes can happen when you create a video game adaption. A+ on the voices, B+ on the music.

Gameplay: 9/10
The gameplay in the game is excellent for what it looks to accomplish. You can tell when you're playing the game that every character was put together with love and care. Not just the good camera control of the simplicity of buttons, but the movesets themselves allow for a very exciting game. Despite it being all hack n' slash, as it is with musou games, the game pulls it of to perfection. If you don't like one character's fighting style, you can just use someone else. There's someone in the game for everyone. From the destructive and easy kill style of Kuzan and Kuma to the more tactical styles of Perona or Usopp. Play around with them, you'll find someone you love to play with. As for me, I find myself maining Kuzan, Kuma, Crocodile, Perona and Garp. Perona being the only one that's not spam happy and destructive. My only gripe about gameplay is something I think could make it better. And that is, a versus mode. The musou mode is outstanding as I said, but I'd love some kind of versus mode. Even if just versus musou battles. I'd recommend creating a new system specifically for one on one battles and using them both for boss battles and this hypothetical versus mode. But the game is such that this would just be more of a convenient bonus than a necessity.

Lasting Appeal: 9.5/10
With appeal that I find more lasting than even Skyrim, Pirate Warriors provides a game that can be played for hours or days on end. Though, you might disagree if you aren't into the hack n' slash musou style. As mentioned before, there are so many characters, with so many styles of battle. So, you are bound to find a decent number of characters that you enjoy playing with. And with those characters, you can find variety. With that variety, you will have loads of fun without getting bored of using one character for the entire game. One of the few flaws of this game's predecessor. For something all hack n' slash, it is incredible. I will be playing this game extensively. I just hope it doesn't diminish the quality and time management of my school work. That would suck!

This game is fantastic. If you are into getting a fun hack n' slash game with a large variety of characters, this game is for you. If you are a One Piece or Musou fan, this game is for you. You don't have to be a One Piece fan necessarily, because this game has its own story. There are loads of stuff to buy and loads of things to do. I am around 40% complete at 14 hours played right now. But, the things I have left are more difficult than the things I have done up to this point. The point here though is this, this game is a joy. Just don't expect a super deep story and have fun with it. That's where this game excels.

YouTube:
src="
Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #89
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Quasi-Admin

Awards Showcase

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

ESRB Rating: E

Presentation: 9.5/10
Set in the same world as A Link to the Past, this game is riddled with nostalgia, but also high expectations. Once again, you can take on the role of Link (or whatever you decide to name him), and save the kingdom with the power of the Triforce. This time though, you're not just saving Hyrule, but Lorule as well. This game spends the majority of its time in the Dark World, as after you beat the first couple dungeons, you'll be thrown into said Dark World. From here, the game flourishes on its artistic style and nostalgia. The story, started off good, and then not much happened in Lorule until after you reached Lorule Castle. It's a safe story, but a safe story is nice. There also many powers and items to use. Most of which come in handy a few times. The story is great when you experience it, and the ending is fantastic. I wouldn't say as good as Majora's Mask or A Link to the Past, but it definitely holds its own and meets expectations.

Generally, when it comes to anything being in 3D, I highly dislike it. This game however, did it right. I did not feel like I was getting a headache by keeping my game in 3D and kept it in 3D about 99% of the time. Even beyond that though, the graphics are excellent to boot. It really does feel like an enhanced version of the style of A Link to the Past, and the Painting segments are well done as well. I'm only giving this a 9.5 because of some not so great camera angles here and there. But yes, this takes advantage of both the 2D and the 3D.

Wonderful soundtrack that feels nostalgic as A Link to the Past, but also original as A Link Between Worlds. I won't say it's my favorite of the series, but it definitely held its own.

Gameplay: 10/10
This games excels in its gameplay. It responds quickly so whenever you tell it to do something, it actually does it, instead of waiting a second like some games. The items in the game are also brilliantly used, though the Boomerang didn't really come in handy in any of the dungeons. Speaking of which, the dungeons are excellent crafted as well. The puzzles are actually challenging, without making you need to bash your head in. And best of all, you have to find your help if you want it. It doesn't just hold your hand. The bosses are pretty well done too, if not a little easy. The final boss was a real whomper though. For once, the final boss of the game is actually the toughest. Definitely well done.

Lasting Appeal: 9.5/10
Will I play this again? Maybe, it is a pretty big world, with a lot to discover. But, I'm not expecting it to be the Ocarina of Time of replayability either. Still, this is something that you can get back in to play again later.

The gameplay is excellent, as are the graphics, minus the camera angles. While the story isn't prevalent throughout, when it is on display, it's a pretty nice one. I believe those who play this game will enjoy its ending as well. Sit back, explore and have fun with this game. There is plenty to do and after you beat Hyrule Castle within 2-3 hours, you'll have another 8-12 to travel between Lorule and Hyrule to take down the final 8 dungeons. May I also add, that renting and buying the items is a nice feature? You can take on any dungeon in the last 7 before Lorule Castle as you can either rent or buy items as you need them. Thanks to your good friend Ravio.

YouTube:
src="

Last edited by Maikeru D. Shinigami; 11-26-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #90
joon
Special Jonin Candidate

joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Send a message via Skype™ to joon

Zelda game is rated M? What is the world coming to? O_O

joon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #91
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Quasi-Admin

Awards Showcase

I copied my Skyrim review.

YouTube:
src="
Old 11-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #92
joon
Special Jonin Candidate

joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.joon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Send a message via Skype™ to joon

Oh, ok. XD I was like, well what's in it that makes it mature? lol

joon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #93
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
If I ever finish Xenoblade I shall review it, but not with tenths of points
Whoops, I never did that. So here's a brief review. Best JRPG in five years. There you go.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #94
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Played the new zelda game: link between worlds.

Was the best gaming experience in a long while. Nothing is spoon fed to you,but it doesn't take an unnecessary amount of time to get into the game. It's simple yet complex. Bonus is the puzzles are like mario platformer levels,but you need to think to solve them.

I hate to say it,but it really is a accessible,but challenging game.

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #95
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Anywho: Super Mario 3D Land

Another Mario game from our good friends at EA Tokyo, whose most notable games Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 are widely acclaimed as the best 3D Mario ever(which is better I will leave to others). So any hope about this portable game, any good? It is, but probably not on the level as Galaxy. On the other hand, I hated Galaxy for the first few hours, whereas this game, I could stomach out of the gate. The goal of this game apparently was to get 2D Mario players a 3D game they would like. Thus, the 3D to let everyone know where they are, trapping from Super Mario Bros. 3 and the return of the end level flag.

First the 3D. It does work, but I never used it. It wasn't useful enough for me and, as all 3DS games, requires one to hold your head at a set distance. You would be much better served to just set the game to 2D and use the shadows. I found after a few levels to be able to easily place my jumps and runs and kill enemies. I must admit, it wasn't immediately, but no different from Galaxy games in that manner. Although, no where near as intuitive as New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Trapping from the older games. Sure, I loved seeing the fuzzies again and using the racoons tail, but is that the takooni suit with a raccoon tail? And why can't I fly? What really was better was the fire flower. No blasted time limit and pretty easy to hit enemies. Well done Nintendo. Koopa Kids were nice, if I didn't have to fight the same two over and over again. Weren't there seven before?

The Flag. I will admit. I really liked the flag and the point A to B levels, but Super Galaxy was already streamlined, even moreso Galaxy 2. The best part about the flag is that it essentially was a puzzle. "How do I reach the top, I am small Mario?" There is a way, young padawan. The time bonus fireworks/balloons were also a nice touch.

Still, I grew weary of this game often. I could really only go throughout a world at a time and then put it down for a few days. The levels were mainly bland and there was not any theme to the worlds(but theme music on the level map ) or even any reason from going from one level to the next. At least in Super Mario Bros. a the end of level 1-1, you enter a pipe to go to the underground level 1-2. In this game you are jumping on clouds in one level, running through the plains in the next and swimming in the next. The game is also very easy; very, very easy. There is a little more challenge to get the three gold coins in each level, but you better if you want any challenge game proper. Bowser is a bit of the challenge, as is the last level. In fact, Bowser is really the only good boss in this game. He really should have been fought at the end of each world with increasing difficulty. I wanted to see him transform from the goomba to koopa troppa all the way up to the mage each time Bowser fell in the lava. Alas. I do like the airship levels, but the end boss fight against the koopa kids just gets really tiresome.

More needs to be said about this game, but they might be considered spoilers. I really shouldn't bother as it is over two years old, but I am a nice guy.
Spoiler:
Once you beat Bowser, the game is not over, which probably no one would be surprised about. What you likely will be surprised about is that you gain twice, yes TWICE as many levels to play. Not only that. You can choose to play as Luigi. WEEEEGIIII :3

As an aside, may favorite part about Super Mario Galaxy was playing the game again as Luigi. He just seemed to fit the levels perfectly. The sliding, the longer jumps. Mmm, superb. I did enjoy Galaxy half way through, but fell in love with Galaxy while playing as Luigi.

Back to the game at hand, does Luigi add much to this game. Yes and no. It is fun to play as him, but something about the levels just doesn't make the experience seem that different as Mario. This might just be the case that the levels added should have just be for Luigi, but alas not so. And before you get too excited about only having played through half the levels, you better remember this is EA Tokyo we are talking about. They aren't really new levels, but remixes of the levels you have already played. And no no, not just each level replayed. Just a subset of them which you play twice, thrice and more. Timing changes, smaller platforms, time limits, being chased all the good and bad from Galaxy, just thrown in at the end. I much rather have just one new world to explore as a bonus than these levels. NSMB Wii had it right. Those are some of my all-time favorite levels in a Mario game. I can play those again and again for speed runs, getting better and better, making the level crazier and crazier. Sure this game keeps track of how fast you beat it, but it never feels fast even if you run the whole way through.

Oh by the way, after you beat all the new levels you get to beat Bowser again back at his castle, a bit more challenge than the first time. Then if you really are dedicated, you can beat all the levels with both Mario and Luigi. If you do so, a special level opens up. This level is hard. You may have though some of the levels in the special world were hard, and some definitely are, but this one is a real piece of work. I could almost hear the developed sneer at me as I started this one up, "you thought our game was easy, well suck on this!" It took me over 100 lives to beat this. The hardest part is near the beginning. You need to jump long distances to tiny platforms again and again. Bounce off two enemies to reach an area, bounce off a friggin' toad head. You really haven't master the game until you are able to beat this. The only time Mario has been this hard is Super Mario Bros 2, the one from Japan, not the American slap of Mario onto another game.

So that's about it. I liked the game. Not as much as Galaxy and NSMB Wii, but probably more than Galaxy 2, as I at least beat everything in this game. I am curious about Super Mario 3D World now, but I still need to play New Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros U. If you want a score out of me, nuts to that. I give it a 1/1.

Last edited by Wooster; 12-05-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 PM   #96
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Quasi-Admin

Awards Showcase

South Park: The Stick of Truth

ESRB Rating: M

Presentation: 10/10
For someone even moderately interested in South Park, this automatically starts as a 10. Who wouldn't be interested in a game from a TV Show they like, especially one that looks as great as this. The game chooses about the most perfect plot it can to keep the game so familiar. It's really like you're watching a new season of South Park. Excellently done, perhaps the best TV show game ever, and likely at least the best of the last decade or so.

Graphics: 10/10
The graphics get a perfect 10 for South Park fans. Is is incredibly realistic? No. If it was though, it would suck, because this is South park. The game chose the perfect art style by going with the same style as the show. If you don't like it, you probably don't like South Park. Also, Canada. If you play the game, you'll know what I mean.

Sound: 9/10
The soundtrack isn't especially memorable, but it has a few tracks that stand out. For instance, an instrumental version of Blame Canada. The battle transition music is cool, but it stops after a while. The worst thing about the sound is that it will randomly stop every once in a while.

Gameplay: 9/10
The gameplay isn't especially deep, it's just a turn based game. You wouldn't expect it to be super deep with it being South Park though. How deep it actually is will probably surprise you though. Each character is different and each of the four classes have their own special strategy that works best, even if you can take on any strategy with any class. The boss battles are mostly alright, with a couple standing out over others. The main issue is glitches, though they are not typically game breaking glitches at least.

Lasting Appeal: 9/10
I've been able to play it since I beat the game, and it's still fun. So, it does have some lasting appeal. I don't think it'll be especially replayable though. It is fun enough to play again, but probably will need some wait time.

Overall: 9/10
Pros:
-Great Story
-Great Humor
-Challenging Puzzles
-Surprisingly Deep Combat
-Character Abilities
-Nicely Crafted "Dungeons"
-Customization
-Large World
-Canada

Neutral:
-Boss Fights

Cons:
-Frame Rate Lag
-Missing Characters (Satan, Towelie and Scott Tenorman)
-One Party Member Only
-Missable Items

YouTube:
src="