Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Mall > Video Game Central

Video Game Central For any and all game discussion threads not related to Naruto

Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
HokageSoulReaper
Special Jonin Candidate

HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via MSN to HokageSoulReaper Send a message via Skype™ to HokageSoulReaper
Default Sony has filed a patent to block used games in their next console

Overall, Sony has been a sinking ship despite still having some great products, in Japan they barely sell TV's and other electronics (worldwide they aren't that bad, but not as dominant as they once were), so most of the company's income lately has come from their Computer Entertainment division, but Sony's latest move, if indeed applied on its upcoming system, could actually be a fatal strike to the whole company:

http://www.screwattack.com/news/sony...d-games-patent

I just really, really hope they filed it just in case, and that they don't actually go through with this

I am The Ace of The Universe

Raikiri Buntai 4 LIFE

Last edited by HokageSoulReaper; 01-05-2013 at 02:40 AM.
HokageSoulReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Jakropha
Your Lord Zetsoom

Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Sony has filed a patent to block used games in their next console

It's not just Sony, Microsoft is doing it too.

They got the idea from EA and Activision, and plan on having a joint effort to purge used games from the market.

If Console gamers are going to act like asses and buy the games new, then it will work (I see this as a foremost possibility)
If the Console gamers just figure it out (not likely) and boycott video gaming entirely, and switch to cheaper alternatives, PC, or even just quitting video games for the sake of it all.

It's all corporate, they want to increase profits on new games that should really be priced at 40$ new...
They waste so much money making these games that it's sick, and they don't even bother pricing down a bit, worse than Hollywood I say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jakropha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

I've got to be honest, pc games have been doing this for years.

The only difference is no one plays pc, so no one cares

@hokage:

Sony product sales in japan are irrelevant. It's like saying digimon will fail as a series because it didn't catch on in the united states like pokemon,but the continued production of new sequels hasn't ceased.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
setsun
Special Jonin Candidate

setsun just might be Kage someday.
setsun just might be Kage someday.setsun just might be Kage someday.setsun just might be Kage someday.setsun just might be Kage someday.setsun just might be Kage someday.setsun just might be Kage someday.setsun just might be Kage someday.setsun just might be Kage someday.setsun just might be Kage someday.

Horrible horrible idea for the devs of games and console makers. It could damn near kill the console gaming archetype that's existed since the mid 80's and frankly that makes me a saaaaaaaaaad panda
setsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
HokageSoulReaper
Special Jonin Candidate

HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.HokageSoulReaper strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via MSN to HokageSoulReaper Send a message via Skype™ to HokageSoulReaper

@Bacon: Indeed, just saying that as an example that Sony is slowly starting to go down under, it'll take a good while, but sadly they started that path as a whole

Now, I do agree with the idea developers should get cash if a game is sold multiple times and what not, but this is an douchey move overall, some corporations seem to think they found a solution to what they think it's a huge problem.....I mean, this will also affect sales of new games too, since now if someone borrows you a game it wouldn't work, and sometimes that way we find out about great games that deserve to be bought new (of course depends on the person and what they think)

I am The Ace of The Universe

Raikiri Buntai 4 LIFE
HokageSoulReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
A Troll
Ninja Academy Student

A Troll saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

Jakropha is right about the situation, corporate companies are really comfortable on their hold on the gaming market.

Why do people like this guy force pass codes onto you?

Its so he can go on 50 cruises in a ship like this.

The reality is, is that companies like EA do not need to do this, but they do it anyway because they KNOW people will buy into it. Why should you be punished because you bought a game used?

Let me put this in another way, lets say you bought a used couch, not new, used. You can sit on it, but the company that made the couch says that if you want to use the reclining feature you have to pay a fee, its already in the couch but you still have to pay the fee to use it.

Do you get how stupid this is? You bought the couch you own the couch, same with TV sets, cars, lawn mowers, anything!! So why is it, that only in the video game industry you don't fully own a copy of a game, even if you bought it new. That is nonsense it is not acceptable.

So stop doing this

And do not buy the next gen consoles, teach these companies a lesson.

Oh and one more thing, don't think Nintendo is out of the clear on corporate moves.

Such a sad legacy for the company that brought gaming back to life.

This corporate greed needs to stop.
A Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #7
Azal
Special Jonin Candidate

Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.
Send a message via Yahoo to Azal

Actually a fairly good move. Companies don't gain any money from used products, as far as I know. If you really want the game, you're gonna have to shell out the money for the new one. The way I see it, although I won't like it, although we are spending more money, ultimately better games and systems can come out of this. More money= better games

But unfortunately, companies don't see eye to eye with me, so they are probably going to take the Square Enix route, and milk their most popular franchise until the milk starts going bad

Azal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
A Troll
Ninja Academy Student

That is why they are trying to kill the used game market, however in order for used games to become available they have to have been bought new, so these companies do make a profit either way, they just want to sap us more out of our wallets.

Thing is, the used game stores will get killed because of this move, so this move must not work.

I won't buy into it, but I can't say that others won't, looking at past actions of companies and the gullibility of the consumers, I would say they will get away with it.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
Azal
Special Jonin Candidate

Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Azal is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.
Send a message via Yahoo to Azal

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Troll View Post
That is why they are trying to kill the used game market, however in order for used games to become available they have to have been bought new, so these companies do make a profit either way, they just want to sap us more out of our wallets.

Thing is, the used game stores will get killed because of this move, so this move must not work.

I won't buy into it, but I can't say that others won't, looking at past actions of companies and the gullibility of the consumers, I would say they will get away with it.
Actually, no. They still lose money. It's one less person buying their precious game. One less means 60$ less.

Azal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Vatanui AKA Pride
has a farm...
WCA

Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by azal852 View Post
Actually, no. They still lose money. It's one less person buying their precious game. One less means 60$ less.
Too bad that said loss gets made up by the next day with the income received from DLC, Season Passes, promotional advertising deals, and dev royalties. Or in the case of titles like World of Warcraft, subscriptions. Then there's the increasingly-popular micro-transactions' route that even Microsoft has been taking interest in.

Let's be honest, the corporations that have been calling for a move like this have generally been big, AAA game title companies. Mainly speaking, EA Games and Activision. Studios which had released this year's largest-selling titles, and have been for several years as of now, unless we're in an alternate universe and the Call of Duty franchise has somehow been a financial failure.

Like Troll and Jak said, this is more of a case of corporate issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
I've got to be honest, pc games have been doing this for years.

The only difference is no one plays pc, so no one cares
The main difference is that while console titles tag their games as sixty bucks right out of the gate, and generally remain expensive even after so, PC videogames tend to be dirt cheap with features such as Steam, Green Man Gaming, Humble Bundle, and so on. For instance, take Sleeping Dogs' price tag of fifty bucks on Gamestop, as opposed to Steam's (and Amazon's) sixteen dollars. Or Saints' Row for $50 while Steam has it for $7.49.

Last edited by Vatanui AKA Pride; 01-06-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Vatanui AKA Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
A Troll
Ninja Academy Student

Quote:
The main difference is that while console titles tag their games as sixty bucks right out of the gate, and generally remain expensive even after so, PC videogames tend to be dirt cheap with features such as Steam, Green Man Gaming, Humble Bundle, and so on. For instance, take Sleeping Dogs' price tag of fifty bucks on Gamestop, as opposed to Steam's (and Amazon's) sixteen dollars. Or Saints' Row for $50 while Steam has it for $7.49.
I want to add on to this, I got batman Arkham city for $7.49 with ALL DLC included, maps, skins, modes, the whole thing, makes me feel like I truly own a copy of the game. Deals like that happen on steam, not to mention I bought Skyrim for $39.99 compared to $60.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatanui AKA Pride View Post

Said it once and I'll say it again:

1. Paying dirt cheap for crap

2. Pc gaming may seem cheap from these " oh get this game for 7 bucks",but what does it actually cost to get yer foot in the door? 1500, 2000, 2500 dollars?

Or

you could make yer own pc or buy a cheap desktop tower and upgrade....oh wait that requires specialized knowledge

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
A Troll
Ninja Academy Student

Quote:

2. PC gaming may seem cheap from these " oh get this game for 7 bucks",but what does it actually cost to get yer foot in the door? 1500, 2000, 2500 dollars?

Or

you could make yer own PC or buy a cheap desktop tower and upgrade....oh wait that requires specialized knowledge
1:Better than paying $60 for crap.

2: $650 actually, for a cheap gaming computer. I didn't even use a credit card, that money was built up after working for 8.50 an hour as a loader at ups for 2 months, that was money I worked hard and long for. I guess the difference with me and America is I tell myself no so later I can say yes. Point is you do not need to spend over 1 grand to get a decent gaming computer.

As for building your own PC, it is cheaper, but building it yourself? You could hire somebody to do that or build a desire to learn and watch you tube videos.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Bacon

Awards Showcase

1. I love video games,but I do my homework. There's only one game I've ever bought for full price in the last 5 years and that's metal gear solid 4. Everything else i defered until they were in the bargain bin at gamestop. Hell I didn't play assasin's creed till it was 16.99

2. Doubt it, you can buy a pretty good pc or laptop for 700 or 800 dollars,but it's not going to be a gaming laptop.

again specialized knowledge and work. Who needs that

Quote:

Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #15
Baka Tori
Ninja Academy Student

Baka Tori has completed a tough C-rank mission!Baka Tori has completed a tough C-rank mission!

They would lose money if they do this. I won't believe it until I see it or hear it from an exec's mouth. That's just how I am
Baka Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Vatanui AKA Pride
has a farm...
WCA

Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vatanui AKA Pride completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

Awards Showcase

Quote:

2. Pc gaming may seem cheap from these " oh get this game for 7 bucks",but what does it actually cost to get yer foot in the door? 1500, 2000, 2500 dollars?

Or

you could make yer own pc or buy a cheap desktop tower and upgrade....oh wait that requires specialized knowledge
How is Skyrim crap? How is Arkham City crap? How is Walking Dead crap? How is Grand Theft Auto: San Andres crap? How is Max Payne 3 crap? And how in the world is Psychonauts crap? Same with Starcraft, or Torchlight, or the Secret World, or the other hundreds of games and franchises that Steam offers with ludicrously cheap sales at a literal daily rate. Either we're in another planet, or you're just biased when it comes to PC gaming Bacon.

I bought a prebuilt Sony VAIO for about four hundred and fifty bucks. Spent $150 buying a decent graphics' card; my computer is currently able to play games like BioShock, Psychonauts, and Arkham City without even a drop in framerate, save the few rare instances.

As does everything in reality my friend. When did a few hours' of reading ever hurt anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Troll View Post
As for building your own PC, it is cheaper, but building it yourself? You could hire somebody to do that or build a desire to learn and watch you tube videos.
This.

Quote:
1. I love video games,but I do my homework. There's only one game I've ever bought for full price in the last 5 years and that's metal gear solid 4. Everything else i defered until they were in the bargain bin at gamestop. Hell I didn't play assasin's creed till it was 16.99

2. Doubt it, you can buy a pretty good pc or laptop for 700 or 800 dollars,but it's not going to be a gaming laptop.

All the more reason. PC gaming is a longterm pay-off. Cheap games, Steam, emulators, the modding community, indie titles, what's not to like?

Then build your own. If you're too lazy to work your way around building one, then just ask around the internet for advice. Then as I've said, just buy the parts and hire a computer expert from either Best Buy's or Craigslist to assemble it for you. Or just save the fifty bucks by reading half an hour's or so worth of text. Either way, the knowledge isn't going to do anything but help you down the line; it's not like the world isn't ran on computers nowadays. Believe it or not, but a knowledge on computers, even one limited, could go a long way.

Last edited by Vatanui AKA Pride; 01-07-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Vatanui AKA Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #17
Sir Michael
Sir Of The Forums

Sir Michael just might be Kage someday.
Sir Michael just might be Kage someday.Sir Michael just might be Kage someday.Sir Michael just might be Kage someday.Sir Michael just might be Kage someday.Sir Michael just might be Kage someday.Sir Michael just might be Kage someday.Sir Michael just might be Kage someday.Sir Michael just might be Kage someday.

Trololol.

Sony is terrible with this stuff.

Sir Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
Jakropha
Your Lord Zetsoom

Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Jakropha is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

In the long run Bacon, if you buy a PC for around 500$, which would be basic, you would still save more money with low priced games.

Over the course of my gaming career, I have spent over 4000$ on video games, While the consoles are considerably cheaper than the PC alternative, PC in the longrun for video game players is more apt.
SOLO video gamers, if your like me and prefer to play Minecraft with your friend, you would buy it on Xbox and take it to your grandmothers on a nice sunday evening

You have to figure in the game costs before you go and attack the expensive PC, blame that part on the corporate junk Microsoft does.

Ironically, they ALSO own the extremely limited Xbox 360.
Coincidence?

Jakropha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
A Troll
Ninja Academy Student

Quote:

1: The average game at gamestop that is good is usually around 15-30 dollars depending on title, but unlike steam you can't get all DLC included in the purchase of a console title, some come with a little amount of DLC in the disc but it is usually content that is already free to begin with, and nowadays you need a pass code to access that (Thanks to EA).

2: If your considering to buy it already made instead of built from scratch, then yes, otherwise no. Besides, how do you even know how much a gaming laptop costs, most people go with desktops anyway.

Consoles are only cheap when you buy the unit, but that is where the savings end. You may not buy a game new, but from here on out with this patent you will be forced into either paying for it, switch to pc, or quit gaming in general.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
A Troll
Ninja Academy Student

DON'T BE A STORMBOOMER!

Research and learn about something before you attack it!