Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Leaf Village Council > Forum Feedback & Issues

Forum Feedback & Issues Having problems using the forums or site? Maybe you have some feedback about the site you'd like to share? Post it here.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

SRhyse just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Exclamation Auto Linking of Specific Words or Phrases

Been toying around with this for a spell, and would like some feedback on it if you guys think you'd out it to good use.

Basically, I can make it so whenever a specific word or phrase is posted, it automatically links to something, be it a site, a thread, whatever. So for example, I could make it so that Contact an Admin linked to PMing me, Super Mod linked to the list of them, WC Database linked to that forum, etc. We can even incorporate a WikiWord style scheme to keep it from happening accidentally, like writing TheRamenShop linked to that forum, but The Ramen Shop did not.

Does that make sense? The gist of it is that you guys simply type something, no BBCode or anything, and it'll automatically link somewhere. Moreover, it'll be a clean looking link that's the word highlighted and underlined, not the URl written out.

Thoughts?
My dog Elly FTW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
. Thanks for wanting to help though!
SRhyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Sajuuk
Special Jonin Candidate

Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Auto Linking of Specific Words or Phrases

I like this idea, it'd be pretty good actually I'm for it!
YouTube Channel:
Sajuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Muffintop
Special Jonin Candidate
Quasi-Admin

Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Muffintop is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

I like. :]
Muffintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Konoha'sGreenThunder
Wallflower

Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.
Send a message via Skype™ to Konoha'sGreenThunder

It's a sound idea, I like it. The only issue I can see is the fact that there are many terms for them (Admin, Administrator, SRhyse, Rice, Sage, Sage Mode, etc). Granted, you could just make them all link, but it'd make for awkward conversation about good oriental food or wise old men.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Naruto321
Super-Duper Mod

Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to Naruto321 Send a message via Skype™ to Naruto321

Seems it will be much easier.

But is it the same for everyone or just the staff?

Naruto321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

It would only be for things we specified, so if we didn't tell the system to do it, it wouldn't. So we'd have complete control.

The WikiWord style writing is partly geared towards making only intentional attempts work too. So Sage Mode would do nothing, but SageMode might link to his profile. Assuming we wanted that name to do anything at all.
My dog Elly FTW:

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
Old 07-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Naruto321
Super-Duper Mod

Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Naruto321 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

I see.

So if a certain word is written and you chose that certain word, it will be highlighted and all the information from that word will be searched?

I don't know what I wrote will make you understand

Old 07-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto321 View Post
I see.

So if a certain word is written and you chose that certain word, it will be highlighted and all the information from that word will be searched?

I don't know what I wrote will make you understand
Not necessarily searched, just linked. If the link is TO a search, sure, but the base of it is linking.
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Naruto321
Super-Duper Mod

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRhyse View Post
Not necessarily searched, just linked. If the link is TO a search, sure, but the base of it is linking.
Oh I see. So is automatically linked for the words you have chosen for the site?

Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto321 View Post
Oh I see. So is automatically linked for the words you have chosen for the site?
Words or phrases ya.
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Naruto321
Super-Duper Mod

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Words or phrases ya.
Oh ok. Sounds good

Old 07-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Looks good to me.
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
zerosameri

zerosameri just might be Kage someday.
zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

The only issue with this is when you go on here on a phone. You will be clicking everything. For example with my phone

It's completely touch screen (like most phones now) so if you happen to touch the word by mistake it will take you to the said link. The only way to avoid this is if you soon in so much that everything is monster size. Along with that who really browses on a phone and scrolls up and now directly on the side any ways.

Other than that it seems all good.

Edit: I know I can not brows a wiki with out touching a hyper linked word.

zerosameri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

If you're trying to browse, don't you just keep your finger down and move it, as opposed to tapping it?
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
Sajuuk
Special Jonin Candidate

Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Awards Showcase

On some phones and iPod's, when the page freezes up as it tries to load this skin (being unfriendly for mobiles), a pull up from bottom to top might be interpreted as a click if the finger touches a link unintentionally. It's happened to me several times.
YouTube Channel:
Sajuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
zerosameri

zerosameri just might be Kage someday.
zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

@Rice: Yes, but when I stop and zoom in to read a thread, I can not help but tap multiple times.

zerosameri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosameri View Post
@Rice: Yes, but when I stop and zoom in to read a thread, I can not help but tap multiple times.
You don't pinch and pull with two fingers like on an iPhone?
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
Naruto321
Super-Duper Mod

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You don't pinch and pull with two fingers like on an iPhone?
Spoiler:

All I have to do is enhance the image to touch a certain part in the site. Multi-tapping doesn't happen to me.