Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Leaf Village Council > Forum Feedback & Issues

Forum Feedback & Issues Having problems using the forums or site? Maybe you have some feedback about the site you'd like to share? Post it here.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

SRhyse just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Default New Feature - User Awards/Stuff

Made an extended post about it here - http://naruto.viz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116537
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRhyse View Post
I just added something that I'm pretty excited about that I think can help -
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=196244

You can see a short example in my post bit, as well as AshenREAPER's, and on our profile pages. They can appear in the post bit or above/below your sig as fuller images, it's either or.

It has alot more usefulness than just the WS, but it would be great for it. Just looking at that doesn't really give you a good idea of the possibilities, so here's an example site with the various functions and views -
On Posts in threads
http://www.75thclan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4225
On a profile page
http://www.75thclan.com/forums/member.php?u=18

They can also be displayed as icons in your post bit, as well as having a sort of grand award/medal/whatever page that shows the various things you get get, who has gotten them, and on some, there's even an option to REQUEST one. They can be given out automatically AND manually, and luckily, they can be assigned a point value, all of which is calculated, tracked and logged by the site.

They're called awards, but more openly, they can be pretty much anything, as they're an icon, an image, a name for it, a description, and a point value. So they could be inventory items like weapons, armor, etc, or they can be battle points for winning battles, or ranks for passing exams, or even gold/money. It's not exclusive either, they can be all of that at once. And that's just the WS possibilities. I can change what they're called to, btw, it doesn't have to be awards, but it'd be nice to have the name general enough to encompass alot of different uses. They can be grouped by categories too, as many as we'd like.

There are other things we could consider using at a later date, but this is all ready to go, so if you were at all interested in a point system, this would be the way to do it, though even then I'm all for simplifying things as much as possible.

Thoughts or comments? Typing this in a hurry here.

This thread would be a great place for any thoughts or ideas on how you guys may want to leverage that on the site, WS or otherwise.
My dog Elly FTW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
. Thanks for wanting to help though!

Last edited by SRhyse; 07-06-2012 at 01:15 PM.
SRhyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
zerosameri

zerosameri just might be Kage someday.
zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: New Feature - User Awards/Stuff

Might be nice if we can see the link you posted

zerosameri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Stuck in the Water Closet

Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
BoxHead
P-P-P-PENTAKILL
Kuzan

BoxHead is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.BoxHead is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
BoxHead is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.BoxHead is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.BoxHead is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

That post is quite extended.

It's extended to the point that we can't even see it!
BoxHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

It's a trap

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Jonesy
likes to post-it post-it
Konoha Military Force

Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Jonesy is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I just added something that I'm pretty excited about that I think can help -
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=196244

You can see a short example in my post bit, as well as AshenREAPER's, and on our profile pages. They can appear in the post bit or above/below your sig as fuller images, it's either or.

It has alot more usefulness than just the WS, but it would be great for it. Just looking at that doesn't really give you a good idea of the possibilities, so here's an example site with the various functions and views -
On Posts in threads
http://www.75thclan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4225
On a profile page
http://www.75thclan.com/forums/member.php?u=18

They can also be displayed as icons in your post bit, as well as having a sort of grand award/medal/whatever page that shows the various things you get get, who has gotten them, and on some, there's even an option to REQUEST one. They can be given out automatically AND manually, and luckily, they can be assigned a point value, all of which is calculated, tracked and logged by the site.

They're called awards, but more openly, they can be pretty much anything, as they're an icon, an image, a name for it, a description, and a point value. So they could be inventory items like weapons, armor, etc, or they can be battle points for winning battles, or ranks for passing exams, or even gold/money. It's not exclusive either, they can be all of that at once. And that's just the WS possibilities. I can change what they're called to, btw, it doesn't have to be awards, but it'd be nice to have the name general enough to encompass alot of different uses. They can be grouped by categories too, as many as we'd like.

There are other things we could consider using at a later date, but this is all ready to go, so if you were at all interested in a point system, this would be the way to do it, though even then I'm all for simplifying things as much as possible.

Thoughts or comments? Typing this in a hurry here.
I quoted SRhyse for you guys.
Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I quoted SRhyse for you guys.
Thanks!
My dog Elly FTW:

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
Old 07-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

I like this idea because it can be used in a variety of ways in contests,rp's, and the fact it's a trinket like rep.

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

I like it. Any way to add one for RP and a separate tab for actual awards would be good. (Ex. TBC's contests, BG contests, MotM, etc, etc.)

PS. What section is that in? o.o
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

We can have as many categories of them as we'd like, but how that separates them in any way but the backend in assigning awards is up for experimentation.

One way we COULD separate them like that though is to have each type of award have a common theme for their images, which would visually keep 'em separate. We can also control the order they're displayed in, so like ones can always be grouped with like.

As for 'where' they are to give, they're in the modcp. Atleast to give 'em out.

In their display, like in the links I showed you, we have the option of the tiny trinkets in the area above the rep, and the fuller images in your sig, above or below it. The sig version scales better, but I'm open to both.
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Keep in mind too, I'm also looking to leverage this -
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=171014

So we'd have more than one reward system. The one I just linked has built in shops and all that too.
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
We can have as many categories of them as we'd like, but how that separates them in any way but the backend in assigning awards is up for experimentation.

One way we COULD separate them like that though is to have each type of award have a common theme for their images, which would visually keep 'em separate. We can also control the order they're displayed in, so like ones can always be grouped with like.

As for 'where' they are to give, they're in the modcp. Atleast to give 'em out.

In their display, like in the links I showed you, we have the option of the tiny trinkets in the area above the rep, and the fuller images in your sig, above or below it. The sig version scales better, but I'm open to both.
Does this mean that all mods are going to be able to give them out?

Just for clarification, you don't know of a way to change the title of the little box that says 'awards' or how to create another one?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
Does this mean that all mods are going to be able to give them out?

Just for clarification, you don't know of a way to change the title of the little box that says 'awards' or how to create another one?
They can, or I can limit it, it's up to me.

We can change what they're called ya. And what I you mean by create another one? Do you mean another award?
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Awards Showcase

Noooo, I mean Awards Showcase. The white border around the actual awards.

Can you change that to make it smaller, duplicate it, etc. etc?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
Noooo, I mean Awards Showcase. The white border around the actual awards.

Can you change that to make it smaller, duplicate it, etc. etc?
I can change it however I want, and even get rid of the border all together and the text, only having the floating awards.

Though I can duplicate it, that's not going to scale, so at that point, I'd rather have the awards appear above or below your signature like those on the forum I linked, as those scale alot better to many many awards. Muffin's got a thread going about the WS in regards to images we can use, and those would work well in either area.
My dog Elly FTW:

Old 07-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #16
Hinata126
Chunin Exam Proctor

Hinata126 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Hinata126 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Hinata126 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Hinata126 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Hinata126 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Hinata126 is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

good ideas i like them!

Member of the Village Hidden In The Shadows and proud.
Owner Of the
Offitial FCs.

Spoiler:

Hinata126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I can change it however I want, and even get rid of the border all together and the text, only having the floating awards.

Though I can duplicate it, that's not going to scale, so at that point, I'd rather have the awards appear above or below your signature like those on the forum I linked, as those scale alot better to many many awards. Muffin's got a thread going about the WS in regards to images we can use, and those would work well in either area.
So you can resize it?

If so, it might be a good idea to resize is so that two of them can fit under your profile. One for the War System and RPs, and one for forum-wide awards.

But like you said, it probably wouldn't scale well.

I like the idea of having them under your signature.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
Rikudo Sennin
7-Up Disciple

Rikudo Sennin has completed a tough C-rank mission!Rikudo Sennin has completed a tough C-rank mission!

This is a good idea, I like the troll one.

Feed me some negative reps
no reverse psychology please

Do.not.be.Afraid
Rikudo Sennin is offline   Reply With Quote