Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Leaf Village Council > Forum Feedback & Issues

Forum Feedback & Issues Having problems using the forums or site? Maybe you have some feedback about the site you'd like to share? Post it here.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
K3nsh!n
Genin

K3nsh!n saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!K3nsh!n saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!
Default About "Hot Threads"

Okay now the forum has a system to label threads as "hot" threads according to its popularity.
The condition is 15 replies OR 150 views
I don't know if anyone else noticed but almost every thread eventually becomes a "hot" thread simply because the number of views exceeds 150
This doesn't really help at all in knowing what the most popular topic are

So I was wondering if the condition for a thread to be labelled as a "hot" thread could be changed
You could either increase the no of views required or even better set the condition as 15 replies AND 150 views, since most of the viewers are guests...

This would give a much better idea about popular topics or at least revive the purpose behind such a system...
Any thoughts?

Last edited by K3nsh!n; 05-16-2012 at 08:42 AM.
K3nsh!n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Sajuuk
Special Jonin Candidate

Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: About "Hot Threads"

It is not possible to make it so both are true without modifying vBulletin code. However, the conditions on how that is reached could be changed to something like 250 replies or 2000 views. 15 replies and 150 views is the default numbers and don't seem to have been changed at all.
YouTube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sajuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
K3nsh!n
Genin

K3nsh!n saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!K3nsh!n saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kazekage View Post
It is not possible to make it so both are true without modifying vBulletin code. However, the conditions on how that is reached could be changed to something like 250 replies or 2000 views. 15 replies and 150 views is the default numbers and don't seem to have been changed at all.
That's too bad...
I thought it was something simple...

Still it can be done, right? Come on, how hard can that be?
I don't know anything about vBulletin code but I have done some programming.
It shouldn't require a massive change in the code.
All it will take is a change of "operator".
Replace the OR operator with an AND operator and voila!!
It should be more like "tweaking"-someone familiar with vBulletin should be able to do it without a sweat.
At least that's what I think. I could be wrong!

Or is it something to do with restrictions on modifying the code because of licensing issues?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
Sajuuk
Special Jonin Candidate

Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Sajuuk is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3nsh!n View Post
That's too bad...
I thought it was something simple...

Still it can be done, right? Come on, how hard can that be?
I don't know anything about vBulletin code but I have done some programming.
It shouldn't require a massive change in the code.
All it will take is a change of "operator".
Replace the OR operator with an AND operator and voila!!
It should be more like "tweaking"-someone familiar with vBulletin should be able to do it without a sweat.
At least that's what I think. I could be wrong!

Or is it something to do with restrictions on modifying the code because of licensing issues?
They could update the code, but that would cause problems if the staff wanted to upgrade to a newer 3.8 version. My opinion is the default values should be changed.
YouTube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Ultimate combatant
Special Jonin Candidate

Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.Ultimate combatant is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Quote:
They could update the code, but that would cause problems if the staff wanted to upgrade to a newer 3.8 version. My opinion is the default values should be changed.
I don`t see why this could cause so many troubles. If I understood correctly, the code is like this:

if (numberOfPosts>=15 || numberOfViews>=150){
}

So, basically, || should be changed to &&, right?!!
Ultimate combatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Sajuuk
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate combatant View Post
I don`t see why this could cause so many troubles. If I understood correctly, the code is like this:

if (numberOfPosts>=15 || numberOfViews>=150){
}

So, basically, || should be changed to &&, right?!!
That's not how the code is written in the files at all. Plus, it's way more complex than just that.

Also, upgrades over-write any custom file edits so any custom edits that have been made on these forums to the files would be lost on upgrade. That might explain why the staff have not upgraded to 3.8.7
YouTube Channel:

Last edited by Sajuuk; 05-17-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
<Aurega?>
Because having a blank username couldn't possibly be any more annoying

<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Quote:
That's not how the code is written in the files at all. Plus, it's way more complex than just that.

Also, upgrades over-write any custom file edits so any custom edits that have been made on these forums to the files would be lost on upgrade. That might explain why the staff have not upgraded to 3.8.7
Changes to code needs to be done by IT, not the admins. Viz IT has a history of ignoring requests, even when the forums were breaking down.

That being said, it isn't hard to change the code for this, but the problem is getting access to the code.

Also, Java is a TERRIBLE language, learn something more useful, like ANSI C (or C++ if you're lazy)
<Aurega?> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Sajuuk
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurega View Post
Changes to code needs to be done by IT, not the admins.
I just tend to call the Viz Employees admins since they are the only full admins.

Quote:
Viz IT has a history of ignoring requests, even when the forums were breaking down.
In that case, it'd probably be easier to increase the #replies and #views needed for hot thread to trigger.

Quote:
Also, Java is a TERRIBLE language, learn something more useful, like ANSI C (or C++ if you're lazy)
If it's on the internet, it'd be PHP and SQL
YouTube Channel:
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
<Aurega?>
Because having a blank username couldn't possibly be any more annoying

<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Quote:
If it's on the internet, it'd be PHP and SQL
HTML5 has shown potential, but sadly, you're right.
Both languages are utterly crap though, compared to C
Except for databases I guess...
<Aurega?> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Sajuuk
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurega View Post
HTML5 has shown potential, but sadly, you're right.
Both languages are utterly crap though, compared to C
Except for databases I guess...
Heh, I take it your a computer programmer
I should really try to learn the C, C# and C++ languages and make a program for personal use at some point

Anyway, I'm getting off topic now XD
YouTube Channel:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Err
Special Jonin Candidate

Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

Great suggestion. # of views should be increased, say 300? Unfortunately, it's only the admins that can change that setting.

Also, I'm gonna have to disagree with Aurega. PHP is great language, but I may be a bit biased since I use it almost daily Last I heard, you couldn't put C on the internet. :P
To further the point, we are a social species because we are interdependent. You could count on your hand how many people in a millennium can get by with absolutely no help from anyone else ever. Yet we never work together. That's why ants will eventually bring us down.
Err is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Sage Mode
Site Admin - The Great Toad Sage
Viz Administrator

Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Guys, I changed it to 300.

A. he is gonna say this is sweet
B. leave not saying anything
C. he is gonna close the thread

--dogboy22
Sage Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Look at all that blue, woo!

Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
Sajuuk
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Mode View Post
Guys, I changed it to 300.
Thanks Sage Mode !

I suppose this can be closed now ?
YouTube Channel:
Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #15
K3nsh!n
Genin

First of all, thank you for heeding my suggestion...

But I still think, 300 views is bit less-doesn't look like it had a significant effect...
How about 500 views?
If you think about it, it is quite reasonable.

Most of the viewers are guests, especially during a new chapter release-the forum is flooded by guests.
But it's the members who actually contribute to the content of discussion unlike the guests who simply view and add to the view count.
Now I am not implying that guest's view shouldn't be considered. But I do think it's other members' replies(which in a way, shows their level of interest in the thread's topic) that should be given "priority" in deciding what is popular.

It's an "OR" condition, so it's not a big deal if you set the no of views higher.
Because if the topic is intriguing, members will reply and the thread will eventually be labled as hot thread once the criteria is met.

Last edited by K3nsh!n; 05-18-2012 at 05:03 AM.
K3nsh!n is offline   Reply With Quote