Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Kunoichi
Easily Bribed

Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.
Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Default Question About Social Ettiquette

Is it okay, or deemed socially acceptable, to walk up to a complete stranger who is smoking and kindly remind them that it's bad for their health?

I've seen this scenario several times, someone walks up to a smoker and says something to the effect of "smoking is bad for you, you should stop." I understand this comes from good intentions but is it socially acceptable?

And if it is, why is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spoiler:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kunoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
sasori2701
Special Jonin Candidate

sasori2701 has completed a tough C-rank mission!sasori2701 has completed a tough C-rank mission!sasori2701 has completed a tough C-rank mission!
Default Re: Question About Social Ettiquette

I think it is. I mean the smoker should think about others health around them and their own health. Trying to help other people by saying that might not seem to do anything but maybe they will deny it at first then go home and tak long look at self and decide to quit. So far i havent seen anyone be called odd for doing it and ive seen it atleast 6 times soo id say it is socially acceptable

Suffer long and it will set you free
Only through trial do we find the strength we need
It's never over, just another day
Of hope and tragedies and everything that comes our way

sasori2701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Kingsnoke
assumed the position
and got to the party. TWICE!
Sage of Ice Water

Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Kingsnoke feels that in a society that values personal liberty asking a stranger to stop smoking would be rude. If that person wants to risk lung cancer and other smoking related complications, fine. Let them. As the saying goes "whatever floats your boat and doesn't sink mine."

HOWEVER

In the case of smoking, the smoker is not only endangering themselves, they are endangering the people around him. So Kingsnoke feels that it would be acceptable to ask the smoker to stop smoking if they were in a public place. Not for the smoker's sake but that of the people around them. If they want to smoke they should do so either in their own home or in another private location.

Kingsnoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Kunoichi
Easily Bribed

Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasori2701 View Post
I think it is. I mean the smoker should think about others health around them and their own health. Trying to help other people by saying that might not seem to do anything but maybe they will deny it at first then go home and tak long look at self and decide to quit. So far i havent seen anyone be called odd for doing it and ive seen it atleast 6 times soo id say it is socially acceptable
Ok here's my fallow up question, if it's ok to do that, then why is it considered rude to tell an obese individual to stop eating? Why don't we walk up to super tan people and explain to them that excessive tanning causes skin cancer?

Spoiler:

Old 05-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Yes, it is acceptable. But it is also acceptable for the smoker to reply, "so is me shoving this up your ass. "

Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Kunoichi
Easily Bribed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnoke View Post
In the case of smoking, the smoker is not only endangering themselves, they are endangering the people around him. So Kingsnoke feels that it would be acceptable to ask the smoker to stop smoking if they were in a public place. Not for the smoker's sake but that of the people around them. If they want to smoke they should do so either in their own home or in another private location.
But I'm not talking about someone just smoking. I can understand asking someone to put out a cigarette. I'm talking someone standing in an area designated for smoking and having a complete stranger walk up and tell them how they knew someone who got lung cancer etc. etc.

Spoiler:

Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
sasori2701
Special Jonin Candidate

sasori2701 has completed a tough C-rank mission!sasori2701 has completed a tough C-rank mission!sasori2701 has completed a tough C-rank mission!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunoichi View Post
Ok here's my fallow up question, if it's ok to do that, then why is it considered rude to tell an obese individual to stop eating? Why don't we walk up to super tan people and explain to them that excessive tanning causes skin cancer?
I like that question. Well with smoking it affects people around them. Like what Kingsnoke said.. I see it as rude to do to some stranger when not in a public place but if it is public place then its not rude. Being obese doesnt affect other people ( directly. in most cases )

Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

The studies on second-hand smoke are dubious at best.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
sasori2701
Special Jonin Candidate

Quote:
But I'm not talking about someone just smoking. I can understand asking someone to put out a cigarette. I'm talking someone standing in an area designated for smoking and having a complete stranger walk up and tell them how they knew someone who got lung cancer etc. etc.
Oh! I didnt know it was like that. Well that would be rude. Didnt know they were in designated area

Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Kingsnoke
assumed the position
and got to the party. TWICE!
Sage of Ice Water

Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Kingsnoke finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
ORLY?

Kingsnoke points out that the World Health Organization's International Cancer Research Center has concluded that second hand smoke presents a measurable risk to humans. Their full 2004 report on passive smoking can be found here.

There is plenty of research that supports the dangers of second-hand smoke. None of which is "dubious".

Kingsnoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
Kunoichi
Easily Bribed

Awards Showcase

They had a link for global warming too.

Spoiler:

Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
ORLY?

Kingsnoke points out that the World Health Organization's International Cancer Research Center has concluded that second hand smoke presents a measurable risk to humans. Their full 2004 report on passive smoking can be found here.

There is plenty of research that supports the dangers of second-hand smoke. None of which is "dubious".
And their previous study found none.

But when you don't get a result you like do another study.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
Vornmusion
Smooth as Sandpaper
Sage of Lemonade
CB Murder Bros & Co.
Urthalre Di Wer Kepesk

Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.
Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.

Quote:
Yes, it is acceptable. But it is also acceptable for the smoker to reply, "so is me shoving this up your ass. "
/thread
Vornmusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Here is a link about WHO first study.
http://www.davehitt.com/facts/who.html

Old 05-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #15
Kreegah!!!
Special Jonin Candidate

Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Is it okay, or deemed socially acceptable, to walk up to a complete stranger who is smoking and kindly remind them that it's bad for their health?

I've seen this scenario several times, someone walks up to a smoker and says something to the effect of "smoking is bad for you, you should stop." I understand this comes from good intentions but is it socially acceptable?

And if it is, why is it?
I had so much to say...

Quote:
Kingsnoke feels that in a society that values personal liberty asking a stranger to stop smoking would be rude. If that person wants to risk lung cancer and other smoking related complications, fine. Let them. As the saying goes "whatever floats your boat and doesn't sink mine."

HOWEVER

...but this sums up most of my thoughts nicely.

Quote:
This is different, however. I hate self-righteous idiots. Give them cigarette burns. Don't they know that being an ass runs the risk of physical harm? morons.

Edit: Some may see this as ambiguous. I'm saying the morons are the ones rudely accosting the smokers. Here's a question... Ever say something to them in turn, even when it isn't "your business"? I sometimes do, because it IS my business. If we don't shut them down now, others will see that being a is acceptable behavior.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke

I'm not really a fan of benzene and related compounds.

I just hate smoke in general, I suppose. And any proponents are on my list.

Last edited by Kreegah!!!; 05-17-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Kreegah!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
tsuki
Special Jonin Candidate

tsuki has completed a tough C-rank mission!tsuki has completed a tough C-rank mission!

Unless it is an underage kid, then no. Mind your own business

B/W FC: 0948-1677-3569
tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
Space Cowboy Sasori
Space Ghost

Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Space Cowboy Sasori strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via MSN to Space Cowboy Sasori

I don't see why not.

You'll probably get some smart response back, and some dirty looks but yeah.

Quote:
Pat: telling it like it is.

Space Cowboy Sasori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
aldredian
Freshmen Academy Student

aldredian is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Some people think they know better than other people and like to tell others what they think they know. I find it annoying. In many places smoking has been banned, so if someone is smoking where it isn't banned, then nothing should be said. There is nothing stopping the offended person from moving elsewhere.

Also, I haven't read the reports, but I doubt second-hand smoke seriously affects anyone from time to time. It was a big issue in bars where one was constantly inhaling it. Someone can prove me wrong on this.

I vape (ecig) and I enjoy people asking me what I am doing "smoking" in a banned area because I can teach them something new. But generally, it's rude to inform people what they probably already know.
aldredian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #19
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

They can't prove you wrong because the studies have been inconclusive. Meaning at worse the effects of second hand smoke is extremely small and no worse than being near anything else that is burning: fireplaces, candles, and [redacted gay joke].

Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
JLI2infinity
Chunin Exam Proctor

JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.JLI2infinity is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Quote:
They can't prove you wrong because the studies have been inconclusive. Meaning at worse the effects of second hand smoke is extremely small and no worse than being near anything else that is burning: fireplaces, candles, and [redacted gay joke].
Hate to break this to you Wooster but you're wrong here. I haven't debated with you too much so I don't know if you're the type to hold onto an argument or not but several medical organizations and WHO (as previously mentioned) have posited second hand smoke as a legitimate medical concern.

Your comparison to candles and fireplaces is severely flawed. Although it is confirmed that inhalation of any organic matter is carcinogenic, cigarettes are composed of over 200 toxins, the smoke they emit is far more harmful. Also, it should be obvious that the purpose of candles and fireplaces are to produce light, the purpose of a cigarette is to produce smoke. On top of that the smoke produced by candles is far smaller and the smoke produced by fire places are often contained and filtered out via chimneys, air ducts, etc.

Second hand smoke is a real concern BUT to the point of this thread, of course it is allowed in a democratic society that defends free (non violence inciting) speech. As for it being socially acceptable that's pretty arbitrary but for the most part it's frowned upon. Lecturing someone on their own imperfections and life choices not only comes across as preachy and rude but it is viewed as self righteous. Everyone has their flaws and bad habits, as a complete stranger with no personal attachment to the smoker you don't come across as friendly or even informative.

I do agree with you @Kunoichi that with that same logic you could lecture someone obese but like someone pointed out these people aren't even hurting those around them and there's always the fear that the reason someone is obese could have a medical condition or psychologically traumatic experience, in which case you make a complete ass out of yourself.

And on a more humorous note there's always the chance that you run into a well-informed, quick witted, and observant individual who not only has a comeback to your captious comment but can also point out flaws in your logic and character; questioning your diet, habits, and personality until he or she finds flaws and can point you out as a hypocritical or ignorant in certain aspects of your life. Of course this is just a psychological defense mechanism called deflecting, and it has nothing to do with the validity of your own comment, but it's still a good way to embarrass someone.
JLI2infinity is offline   Reply With Quote