Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #61
loganace
Special Jonin Candidate

loganace is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.loganace is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.loganace is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.loganace is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.loganace is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default Re: Immortality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinatoXNaruto View Post
I would want to live until I'm ready to die. So I guess what I'm saying is, I would want to live as long as i want, but die when i wanted to
There are some thoughts of imortality not nececarily meaning you would live forever. In that form you can die but will never die of old age. That might be cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spoiler:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

loganace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #62
Hakumaiu
Academy Graduate

Hakumaiu is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

In my opinion I would actually want to stay alive or observe the the Earth. I want to see how technology advances, look what we have now and 40 years back. It's amazing how far we come and it's very interesting to me what we will be in 1 million years from now.

Please don't hate it's just an opinion.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #63
Throw Rasen-Shuriken
Special Jonin Candidate

Location: Drifting through the cold walls, dancing in the subtle shadows, always never ending up anywhere...
Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Throw Rasen-Shuriken is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via Skype™ to Throw Rasen-Shuriken

Well, sure there is a lot of things that you can do with a long life, you can go and do everything that you ever had wanted, become powerful, get with many people, do frankly anything without the worry of time, the flip side to all of this is the fact, think of the worst circumstances that you would have to endure, seeing the death of people you adore or even love, if you are unfortunate enough to get health problems that can impede you through life that, will obviously also affect you in a negative way, just because you are immortal it does not neccassarily mean you will also have very good health, unless that comes with it then, that would not be so much of a problem, yet for just being immortal, could just mean endless longetivity of life, so they both do not neccassarily go in hand.

Then there is the fact of the world destroying itself around you, through your whole life watching the planet constantly get ruin by both natural and manmade disasters, then there is also the fact of the very real possibility being immortal that eventually you may only end up being the only person ever left within this world in it's very destruction when the planet is suppose to burn, unless you find somewhere else, out on another planet with lifeforms and everything, you will end up seeing the living hell of complete annihilation of so many things infront of you.

If that does not make you feel absolutely worst you could just be driven insane by all the unsightly things that you would have experience, then there is also the fact that even though you can live forever, you could possibly still age, which will also have a negative effect on you. Unless the whole immortality comes with forever young and good well being you will basically become a prisoner in your own body and possibly completely alone after everything, which by then, I would say most would have not wanted any of that yet alone seeing every single thing that has and ever will happen right infront of you and considering this world is far from utopia, you could end up being mentally scarred with all the negative events that have fallen before your eyes.

Overall I would not want to be immortal, increased longetivity of life seems to me to be way more better then never dying no matter what befalls you, since I get thoughts of drifting in endless space, after seeing this planet break up infront of me, that is just how it will become if you never die.

BF:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Throw Rasen-Shuriken; 03-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Throw Rasen-Shuriken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #64
EYE OF AGES
Genin

EYE OF AGES is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Quote:
Then there is the fact of the world destroying itself around you, through your whole life watching the planet constantly get ruin by both natural and manmade disasters, then there is also the fact of the very real possibility being immortal that eventually you may only end up being the only person ever left within this world in it's very destruction when the planet is suppose to burn, unless you find somewhere else, out on another planet with lifeforms and everything, you will end up seeing the living hell of complete annihilation of so many things infront of you.
Transcend your human limitations, grow beyond measure to become closer to god in your plane of existence, as a living god, you would embody truth and comprehension with intellect and tact beyond measure, the ideal state of existence.

Godhood.

I AM THE LAW!-Judge Dredd
EYE OF AGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #65
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

No one should be ashamed to want to live forever. It is not hubris, but simply the universal desire of life to keep living.

Here are some of the arguments against immortality, and my refutations:

1. I don't want to see my loved ones die.

How is that a problem different from what we see today? Even the very young face this problem. Why not make your life worthy of those you've outlived, instead of running away to the grave?

2. I'll get bored.

I weep for your lack of imagination. You do realize that with eternity on your side that you will eventually be many times wealthier than Bill Gates -- or the US government, even if you have a bad job -- which means someday you will be able to amuse yourself in unforeseen ways.

3. I'll have to watch the world destroy itself.

Who says? And if that happens, so what? Dead is dead. You won't die, everyone else will, come Doomsday or not, so don't worry about it. If the world keeps going, individuals will still die no matter what. The world has ended for them, just like it's ended billions of times previously. By the time you need to worry about this, you will be fabulously wealthy (unless you are truly stupid) and able to watch the world destroy itself on your android-inhabited tropical island on Mars. Dream bigger.

---

Did I cover it all? Probably not. Oh well. I wouldn't mind living forever, and if I got tired of it, so what? I'll just go to sleep like a vampire -- for a very long time. When I wake up, everything old is new again!

--George Bernard Shaw
Jutsu Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #66
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Haha some of the ignorance in this topic.

I'm surprised I didn't see more comments along the lines of what I'm thinking but I overestimate some people again. xD

Anyway it's just my opinion.
I think that what makes life beautiful is death. Knowing that your time is limited and you have death looming just really makes you realize how beautiful and short life is.
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #67
Jutsu Junkie
Chunin Exam Proctor

Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Jutsu Junkie is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post

I'm surprised I didn't see more comments along the lines of what I'm thinking but I overestimate some people again. xD

I think that what makes life beautiful is death. Knowing that your time is limited and you have death looming just really makes you realize how beautiful and short life is.
Ah, number 4! I'd forgotten this trope.

Why should a short life be more beautiful than an eternal one? And why should shortness add any sort of quality to the only thing that allows you to perceive any quality in the first place? And even if it's true for you, it's clearly subjective: there's no reason to believe this perception is indicative of wisdom in the slightest. Quite to the contrary. Indeed, the logical end of your argument is that everyone should know exactly how long they are to live, and the best way to ensure that is to encourage suicide. Why languish in a long life, when you could end it on a high note? After all, shortness is sweetness, right? I think you've just tricked yourself into accepting as positive a glaring flaw in our biology.

--George Bernard Shaw
Jutsu Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #68
EYE OF AGES
Genin

EYE OF AGES is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post

Ah but death saves you from fates worse than death, how sad is that? Stare death in the eye, and just keep going foward, no one knows when one dies, in the real world if we admit probability you have greater odds of dying in any one year than winning the lottery(and the odds double about every 8 years after age 25 or something), if the system has hidden variable you will die time and again or maybe forever? what is death? what does it even mean?

What if it is mere fiction? or nothing more than a transition, an illusion of rest in a never ending life of servitude towards oblivion with only the faintest hint of control and illusion of freedom. Unable to move foward but forced against your will to live each and every day, moving foward against your will.

Quote:
and the best way to ensure that is to encourage suicide. Why languish in a long life, when you could end it on a high note? After all, shortness is sweetness, right? I think you've just tricked yourself into accepting as positive a glaring flaw in our biology.
I view death as very possibly self-inflicted, it is suicide, if there is such a thing(again it might just be another illusion, self-inflicted pain can be quite dramatic and one can lose access to morality, dreams, vision, taste, etc lots of things come and go). If one jumps in front of a train, a bullet, or causes such mayhem that one is burned at the stake, even the most minor action might result in one's annihilation*(chose the wrong tooth paste? death penalty). Likewise even the most minor action may also result in unlimited wealth or power for no reason at all, godhood.

The immortal may seek the eternal rest of death and the mortal the eternal peace of immortality.

The logic of reality.

I AM THE LAW!-Judge Dredd

Last edited by EYE OF AGES; 03-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.
EYE OF AGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #69
Cult of Personality
Super Banned

Cult of Personality is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Cult of Personality is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Cult of Personality is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Cult of Personality is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Cult of Personality is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Cult of Personality is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Cult of Personality is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Cult of Personality is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Cult of Personality is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Cult of Personality is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

You're very big into fauxlosophic gibberish aren't you EYE OF AGES?

Anyway, on the subject of the thread, conditionally eternal life is where it's at. Endless until you choose to meet a preset list of criteria necessary to end it.

That way you can do everything there is to do and when that gets boring, just end it and go on to whatever comes next, supposing there is anything next. Maybe there's nothing. Who knows.
Cult of Personality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #70
anotherperson
Academy Graduate

anotherperson is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Lightbulb Re: Immortality

I would like to die, because what is the point of living forever when the things and people you love will be gone forever?
anotherperson is offline   Reply With Quote