Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Naruto Discussion Forum > Naruto Anime Discussion

Naruto Anime Discussion General discussions about the Naruto anime series. Do not spoil content that has not been aired in an episode in this forum!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Straw Hat
Genin

Straw Hat has completed a tough C-rank mission!Straw Hat has completed a tough C-rank mission!
Default Is the anime not selling well anymore?

Every now and then I poked around Amazon to see how various anime are selling by clicking on their "most popular" list and in the top 100 there are no Naruto Shippuden DVD sets currently. Box Set 8 comes in around 107. The second movie Bonds is in 69th place while Bleach Fade to Black is in 30th. Bleach had a few other box sets in the top 100.

The first Naruto series Season 1 Part 1(26 episodes) box set came in 82nd place but it's the only one in the top 100 as well.

Among the shows selling as well or better than Naruto on Amazon right now:

Pokemon
Trigun
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball
Yu Yu Hakusho
One Piece
Bleach
Rosario+Vampire
Vampire Knight
Robotech
Cowboy Bebop
Black Butler
Hetalia
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
The Slayers
Samurai Champloo
Sekirei
FLCL
Supernatural: The Anime Series
High School of the Dead
Darker than Black
Ghost in the Shell: The Stand Alone Complex
Code Geass
Kanon
Air
Gankutsuo: The Count of Monte Cristo
Welcome to the NHK

Here's the list

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_dnav_...qid=1323012088

I'm sure some of this is due to holiday sales for those titles being much better but that's a lot of shows ahead of Naruto right now.

However in the top 200 after 150 or so there's quite a few Naruto Shippuden and Naruto box sets. So it's still doing plenty well but I don't recall it being that much long ago that the only anime keeping up with DBZ in sales regularly was Naruto Shippuden but that's clearly not the case right now.

Not that I'm particularly worried about Viz cancelling their dub or anything like that but Naruto's success on Hulu isn't translating to better DVD sales it would seem. Perhaps it's even hurting DVD sales right now and not having much presence on television isn't helping it either.

Last edited by Straw Hat; 12-04-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Straw Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
loganace
Special Jonin Candidate

loganace is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.loganace is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.loganace is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.loganace is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.loganace is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default Re: Is the anime not selling well anymore?

Well that is sad, considering most all of us use Hulu.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spoiler:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

loganace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Maruko
Special Jonin Candidate

Maruko --after fourteen consecutive terms as Kage of the forums--has at last decided to step down and become one with the universe. AFKMaruko --after fourteen consecutive terms as Kage of the forums--has at last decided to step down and become one with the universe. AFK
Maruko --after fourteen consecutive terms as Kage of the forums--has at last decided to step down and become one with the universe. AFKMaruko --after fourteen consecutive terms as Kage of the forums--has at last decided to step down and become one with the universe. AFK

Awards Showcase

Sadly it's true,internet has ruined everything.
Maruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
sasukeuchihuh
Ninja Academy Student

sasukeuchihuh is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Thats based on a sales report, i bet if you
checked on hulu and looked for most viewed, I
bet you would notice that naruto out beats
'em all lol
sasukeuchihuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Kunoichi
Easily Bribed

Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.
Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Maruko View Post
Sadly it's true,internet has ruined everything.
I disagree. Without making Naruto available via internet i seriously doubt it would ever have reached the height it has here in america.

Spoiler:

Kunoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
[Shikamaru]
Special Jonin Candidate

[Shikamaru] has completed a tough C-rank mission![Shikamaru] has completed a tough C-rank mission!
Send a message via Yahoo to [Shikamaru]

I wonder if hulu pays them, or Viz pays hulu to allow them to showcase their videos.

As the cost of ads and such clearly would increase if they have a higher number of people watching a single video, Viz must receive something along the way.
[Shikamaru] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Straw Hat
Genin

Straw Hat has completed a tough C-rank mission!Straw Hat has completed a tough C-rank mission!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasukeuchihuh View Post
Thats based on a sales report, i bet if you
checked on hulu and looked for most viewed, I
bet you would notice that naruto out beats
'em all lol
It does and I wasn't saying otherwise.

I was pondering if the Hulu streams are in fact hurting sales at this point and it kind of looks that way since Naruto Shippuden is the #6 most streamed show (of any kind) of all time on Hulu while the sales on Amazon hardly indicate it's a big seller these days.

Not that I want to hit the panic button because I'm sure the iTunes downloads are doing pretty well but Viz might stop dubbing the show and/or releasing the DVDs if sales don't pick up. They've dropped countless titles over the years and currently stream some of them.

Naruto has been successful enough that I'm sure they wont give up on it soon but for the first time I'm ever, I'm slightly concerned that Naruto Shippuden's DVD release might be halted in the future.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Straw Hat
Genin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunoichi View Post
I disagree. Without making Naruto available via internet i seriously doubt it would ever have reached the height it has here in america.
While it can be argued that fansubbing is one of the big reasons why Naruto was hugely successful here but a well handled television broadcast on Cartoon Network is why Naruto is as popular as it is here. But since then because nobody gets DXD the Hulu stream has become the easiest way to keep watching the series as well as introducing it to new people.

But I think the problem is not that many people are interested in owning the Naruto Shippuden anime compared to the number of people who will watch it but maybe only once. If they're interested in owning a copy of the story to enjoy again they're more likely to buy the manga because it's cheaper than DVDs and doesn't suffer from bad pace or filler stories that kill the momentum of the main story.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
roullex uchiha
Chunin Exam Participant

roullex uchiha saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

So Pokemon has better sales than Naruto???
I'm Really shocked.
roullex uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
narutogirl13
Special Jonin Candidate

narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.narutogirl13 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

You're not the only one, though I'm a bit of a Pokemaniac myself

1. Crair Uchiha
2. Ninja Pink
3. joon61
4. Ninyn
5. Souret
6. Shinagato
7. Rogue Uchiha18
8. Stormy_Uchiha
9. Shisko Shi
10. Gaara-Shukaku
11. The sage of the six paths
narutogirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Cosmo
Veteran Chunin

Cosmo saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!Cosmo saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

Well, of course.
Most of the Anime community looks down on Naruto and praises most other series.
Pokemon is marketed towards >12.
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
WishfulFairie
Special Jonin Candidate

Location: In my own little world that's in my own little head
WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.WishfulFairie is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Pokemon????? Well then.

I'm pretty sure Hulu pays for it though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny
well, war babies come from war, nerd babies from from trees, peace babies come from birds, ect
WishfulFairie is offline   Reply With Quote