Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Naruto Discussion Forum > Naruto Manga Discussion

Naruto Manga Discussion All the latest discussions about the Naruto manga (beware, spoilers abound).

View Poll Results: Are Chidori and Raikiri the same technique? (read evidence in post please)
yes they're same 17 73.91%
no, they're two different techniques 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
EvL j3st3r
Chunin Exam Proctor

EvL j3st3r is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.EvL j3st3r is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.EvL j3st3r is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.EvL j3st3r is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default (Please read my proof before you vote) Chidori and Raikiri are one in the same

Quote:
Ch.114 pg.6

"CHIDORI. Or as it's also known, "THE LIGHTENING EDGE" (Raikiri), a nickname earned when Kakashi cut a bolt of lightening with that technique."

-Maito Gai
Here guy tells us that Lightening edge is merely a nickname and it and Chidori are one in the same. Guy considers Kakashi his rival and we already know that he keeps study of Kakashi's abilities as a result, even to the point that he can fight a Sharingan user by watching their feet alone. That seems pretty devoted and knowledgable. This was the first real description of Chidori that the manga gives us. I take it as the author informing us about the technique. If you actually go to the chapter and read it I'm sure you'll at least agree with that much. Also, Kakashi was present for this description given by Guy and did not correct him in any manner.

Guy then goes on to say "but it's real name is Chidori". He also tells us that it's Kakashi's SOLE technique that is original to him. Meaning one of one, not one of two.

If you disagree, state why with manga evidence that rivals mine. This is evidence directly stated in the manga. So please don't bother giving conflicting evidence from the databook or the anime as you would clearly be outsourced. If you do give conflicting manga reference then I will ask for a chapter and pg. number.

Just bc I know it will be mentioned, the databook does state they're two different techniques, and some tell me that there is a difference in their appearance this is their source for that argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn Gizzam View Post
Raikiri: chapter30: page 4
The obvious ring around kakashi, the chakra looks much more concentrated u can tell there is a darker grey circle inside it. Not anime only fyi...
Chidori:chapter 113: page 10
Its just pure white and less concentrated obviously, no darker color in the center. And if you go back a few you can see theres different signs.

There has been some variation in handseals with no real consistancy.

Sasuke holds his palm down by the name of Chidori and Kakashi holds his palm up by both names.
^red.
You may want to respell that.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sorry Kalmeast...........it's just too funny to let die.

Last edited by EvL j3st3r; 08-28-2011 at 04:13 PM.
EvL j3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Parak111
Jonin

Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

Post Re: (Please read my proof before you vote) Chidori and Raikiri are one in the same

It's the same jutsu. From the top of my head:

A lightning-infused hand which pierces through almost everything...including someone's body.

A jutsu invented by Kakashi, he calls it Raikiri or Lightning Blade instead of Chidori (One Thousand Birds). Apparently he changed the name when he cut a bolt of lightning in half.

The technique is used for assassination purposes. It's lethal, and it's no game, hence why Kakashi asked Sasuke why he was using his Chidori against Naruto at their first fight on the hospital roof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pervy Sage's last battle:

YouTube:
src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Those who break the rules are scum, true

but

ninja who don't help their friends are even worse!

- Ultra Super Mega Giga Hug

Parak111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
EvL j3st3r
Chunin Exam Proctor

EvL j3st3r is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.EvL j3st3r is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.EvL j3st3r is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.EvL j3st3r is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Default Re: (Please read my proof before you vote) Chidori and Raikiri are one in the same

Quote:
I have explained alot of this but this guy needs proof of someone stating it lol observation doesnt count to him thats why i went to the hand seals lol. Raikiri is just a modified chidori its obvious since chidori was a failed attempt at adding lightning chakra to the rasengan, kakashi improved at molding the shape of the chakra which makes sense why its more concentrated while chidori is obviously less concentrated. Also the obvious ring around the user who performs raikiri, when kakashi uses raikiri his palm is holding it upright where as to sasuke and chidori hes holding it with his palm facing down.
Observation does count when it's valid. Most of yours is anime reference. (except the handseals). But handseals are variable in many cases, and often 100% optional to use at all with enough talent. If I look into it, I bet the hand signs vary not only when it's called by different name but also when it's called by the same name. So the handseals don't provide hard evidence. They provide possibility.....possibility that is demolished by my hard proof. And why would that evidence override something that the manga straight up stated in black and white.
In the manga, there's no difference in their appearance, that's an anime reference.
And so what if Sasuke holds his palm down. Difference in style is circumstancial and also pales in comparison to real proof.

Quote:
It's the same jutsu. From the top of my head:

A lightning-infused hand which pierces through almost everything...including someone's body.

A jutsu invented by Kakashi, he calls it Raikiri or Lightning Blade instead of Chidori (One Thousand Birds). Apparently he changed the name when he cut a bolt of lightning in half.

The technique is used for assassination purposes. It's lethal, and it's no game, hence why Kakashi asked Sasuke why he was using his Chidori against Naruto at their first fight on the hospital roof.
thanks, I agree. And vote please
^red.

Last edited by EvL j3st3r; 08-28-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Flying Fortress Skyfire
Banned

Flying Fortress Skyfire saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!
Default Re: (Please read my proof before you vote) Chidori and Raikiri are one in the same

Raikiri is a jutsu derived from Chidori but they are not the same.
Flying Fortress Skyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Nagahana
Apprentice Genin

Nagahana saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!Nagahana saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

Raikiriis a stronger version of the chidori I guess.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Lord Jiraiya
Chunin Exam Participant

Lord Jiraiya has completed a tough C-rank mission!Lord Jiraiya has completed a tough C-rank mission!

Chidori = A Ranked - Sasuke's Version/Kakashi's original Version
Raikiri = S Ranked - is an enhanced and concentrated form of the Chidori with the same effects and drawbacks.
Lord Jiraiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Variations of the same parent jutsu I guess.

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Gouldy17
Genin Elite

Gouldy17 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

i have always thought they are exactly the same...if there is a difference its just different in the fact kakashi has had more experience with it and because they are different people
United's flag is deepest red, It shrouded all our Munich dead, Before their limbs grew stiff and cold, Their heart's blood dyed it's ev'ry fold. Then raise United's banner high, Beneath it's shade we'll live and die, So keep the faith and never fear, We'll keep the Red Flag flying here. We'll never die, we'll never die, We'll never die, we'll never die, We'll keep the Red flag flying high, 'Cos Man United will never die

Last edited by Gouldy17; 08-28-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: worded wrong
Gouldy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
WeezyBaby
Genin Elite

WeezyBaby has completed a tough C-rank mission!WeezyBaby has completed a tough C-rank mission!WeezyBaby has completed a tough C-rank mission!

i thought this was always well known..I guess lightning blade is a lil strong version of chidori though.
WeezyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Syn Gizzam
Academy Graduate

Syn Gizzam is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Cool Re: (Please read my proof before you vote) Chidori and Raikiri are one in the same

Lol this is pretty one sided, no wonder why everyone agrees
Raikiri: chapter30: page 4
The obvious ring around kakashi, the chakra looks much more concentrated u can tell there is a darker grey circle inside it. Not anime only fyi...
Chidori:chapter 113: page 10
Its just pure white and less concentrated obviously, no darker color in the center. And if you go back a few you can see theres different signs.

Its just like rasengan and odama rasengan, raikiri is a more advanced step up from chidori.

Last edited by Syn Gizzam; 08-28-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Syn Gizzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
kalmeast
April's Member of the Month

kalmeast is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.kalmeast is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
kalmeast is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.kalmeast is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.kalmeast is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Chidori and Raikiri are basically the same... Is the same content and energy in the hand, I wont explain much just look at these chapters
chp 127 pg 16 - Chidori - It's a jab like sasuke uses on Gaara
chp 422 pg 10 - Raikiri - Is a piercing/ cutting with the four fingers like kakashi uses against Pain...

Of course you can't use a jab to cut lightning. it just doesn't sound right but with the stretch forth fingers... so basically it's the same. that's what i was able to deduce.

Naruto chp 666 features the Sage Of The 6 Paths.
kalmeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
SasukeLover101
Freshmen Academy Student

SasukeLover101 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

I agree it is the same thing
SasukeLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
Kreegah!!!
Special Jonin Candidate

Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

They are essentially the same. IF one supposes one is an enhanced form of the other, one must still realize the disparity is not on the level of a different "species" of jutsu (like wolf vs. fox in the animal kingdom), but at best a different breed within the species (miniature schnauzer vs. a regular one). Thus.
Kreegah!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Syn Gizzam
Academy Graduate

Cool Re: (Please read my proof before you vote) Chidori and Raikiri are one in the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreegah! View Post
They are essentially the same. IF one supposes one is an enhanced form of the other, one must still realize the disparity is not on the level of a different "species" of jutsu (like wolf vs. fox in the animal kingdom), but at best a different breed within the species (miniature schnauzer vs. a regular one). Thus.
Then how do u explain rasengan and odama rasengan being different? there classified different, just like chidori and raikiri, same jutsu just more chakra...

Last edited by Syn Gizzam; 08-28-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
EvL j3st3r
Chunin Exam Proctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn Gizzam View Post
Lol this is pretty one sided, no wonder why everyone agrees
Raikiri: chapter30: page 4 http://www.mangareader.net/93-35-4/n...hapter-30.html
Chidori:chapter 113: page 10 http://www.mangareader.net/93-118-10...apter-113.html

Its just like rasengan and odama rasengan, raikiri is a more advanced step up from chidori.
those are the arguments. It's one sided bc my evidence far outweighs yours due to source. And the information you give above is completely opinion based and relies completely on the viewers perspective. Even if they're there (which I don't see), these are the smallest details that really aren't a big difference in characteristics. So what if Kishi drew it slightly different from time to time. That's the beauty of freehand. Still doesn't out way what the manga has said outright. I'll review your new evidence and edit. You should take down those links tho and just give ch. and pg. You'll get infracted
Quote:
Chidori and Raikiri are basically the same... Is the same content and energy in the hand, I wont explain much just look at these chapters
chp 422 pg 10 - Raikiri - Is a piercing/ cutting with the four fingers like kakashi uses against Pain...

Of course you can't use a jab to cut lightning. it just doesn't sound right but with the stretch forth fingers... so basically it's the same. that's what i was able to deduce.
I know your technically agreeing with my overall point. But I do want to point out that the two examples you're giving are from two different characters. It's really just a matter of speculation. My speculation is that it's just two different characters with two different styles. Not that it has to be used one way or the other. Sasuke uses chidori for slicing as well.
^red.

Last edited by EvL j3st3r; 08-28-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
Syn Gizzam
Academy Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvL j3st3r View Post
those are the arguments. It's one sided bc my evidence far outweighs yours due to source. I'll review your new evidence and edit. You should take down those links tho and just give ch. and pg. You'll get infracted
I know your technically agreeing with my overall point. But I do want to point out that the two examples you're giving are from two different characters. It's really just a matter of speculation. My speculation is that it's just two different characters with two different styles. Not that it has to be used one way or the other. Sasuke uses chidori for slicing as well.
Lol good luck finding a chapter where kakashi is using chidori. I agree that manga is more canon then databook, but theres also quality of your evidence it lacks.. while kishi explains in the databook point blank. Your evidence is up for debate you could say that he evolved his chidori high enough in order to destroy a lightning bolt and that milestone brings it to the next level raikiri.

Last edited by Syn Gizzam; 08-28-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
Syn Gizzam
Academy Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmeast View Post

Exactly, but hes saying raikiri and chidori are equal power, the same exact thing kakashi just gets a nickname, Kishi in the databook notes there difference in power and ranks raikiri S while chidori remains A.
I think its just like odama rasengan and rasengan.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
EvL j3st3r
Chunin Exam Proctor

I don't understand how that's debatable. The manga verifies that Raikiri is it's nickname but Chidori is it's real name. What's confusing about that. To say it's two different techniques of which one is a higher caliber contradicts what the manga stated here. That cancels speculation that Kakashi's Chidori evolved to a new more powerful technique. Also, the Chunin Exams happened after that. If Kakashi had devoloped a new technique evolved from Chidori, Guy would not have said that Chidori is his SOLE original technique.

and why are telling Kalmeast "exactly" when what he's saying contradicts what you said. He said it's a cutting motion with four fingers. That's not how you described it's form at all. You say he holds it in his palm.

And I accept your challenge. I'll find you more than one chapter where Kakashi uses the technique and calls it by Chidori.
^red.

Last edited by EvL j3st3r; 08-28-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
kalmeast
April's Member of the Month

kalmeast is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.kalmeast is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
kalmeast is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.kalmeast is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.kalmeast is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

I agree that it's more likely correct to say their the same than different. Beyond what is said in the mange (since the manga is still a translation from japanese to english), there could be a second deduction made from images. Two proves would be enough to seal it. So, ima do some research to advocate one of the sides...although i'm more leaning towards SAME. I'm gonna be open minded.

remind everybody that it is said that with chidori, the visibility of the chakra is dependent on the speed at which it's delivered. That speed gives it the churping like birds. Meanwhile Zabuza said to kakashi - "so much chakra that it's visible". just something to keep in mind.

Naruto chp 666 features the Sage Of The 6 Paths.
kalmeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
Syn Gizzam
Academy Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvL j3st3r View Post
I don't understand how that's debatable. The manga verifies that Raikiri is it's nickname but Chidori is it's real name. What's confusing about that. To say it's two different techniques of which one is a higher caliber contradicts what the manga stated here. That cancels speculation that Kakashi's Chidori evolved to a new more powerful technique. Also, the Chunin Exams happened after that. If Kakashi had devoloped a new technique evolved from Chidori, Guy would not have said that Chidori is his SOLE original technique.
Dude idk what your talking about lol.. and its called simple observation from the manga, words dont need to be said you can look at how different the two jutsu are. They are the same but ones just enhanced lol why would he note that its another original technique. And i dont see how you cant see the differences between chidori and raikiri ive shown both? what do u want me to do get more chapters?What guy said is very debatable, its obviously the same case as odama rasengan and rasengan..

and why are telling Kalmeast "exactly" when what he's saying contradicts what you said. He said it's a cutting motion with four fingers. That's not how you described it's form at all. You say he holds it in his palm.
The jutsu is created through his palm lol... i never said how he striked, its called lightning BLADE for a reason.
Green^

*edit:and btw i used both jutsus premiers in the manga, raikiris premiere was zabuzas battle, while chidoris is sasuke vs gaara so dont rant about the two comparisons i tried to get them as early as they came*

RIGHTNING BRADE FTW

Last edited by Syn Gizzam; 08-28-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Tags
chidori, hitake, kakashi, lightening, lightening blade, lightening cutter, lightening edge, raikiri, sasuke, uchiha