Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #41
<Aurega?>
Because having a blank username couldn't possibly be any more annoying

<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.
Default Re: do you believe in science or in religion?

Why do people always mix up the two?

Science is a system based on hard facts and observations we make of the world around us. In other words, the material world we live in.

Religion is a system based on faith and belief. It is about following a train of though that will make you a better human in the end. In other words, the spiritual world we live in (yes it's debated that it doesn't exist, but it hasn't been disproven either).

Science and religion should be separate, just like you shouldn't mix water and magnesium. Bad things will happen if you do.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Aurega?> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #42
<Aurega?>
Because having a blank username couldn't possibly be any more annoying

<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

I mean the main difference between science and religion in my opinion is how they each teach what to do with what you're taught.

Religion teaches you to follow what it says without question, but most people are resonable to be careful to not blindly follow it in all cases. However, the main objective is to have people act a certain way, regardless of the individual.

Science teaches you that what we've learned so far and the things we today accept as "true" is only valid as long as it has been proven repeatedly, and never disproven directly, and there are no better explanation.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Aurega?> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #43
Rasaga
Genin

Rasaga saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!
Send a message via AIM to Rasaga Send a message via Yahoo to Rasaga

I believe in both. Science explains many things that cannot be disputed, ost things anyway. To prove that there is a god would mean that we are above him. Touchy subject.

Weapon - Black Water Strike Sword
Special Genetic Ability - Morph any body part into a plant and regenerate.
Kekkei Genkai
Sawagan
Jutsu
Vision Steal, Wood Spike Kunai, Chakra Drain Field, Petrified Oak Prison, Explosive Wasteland

"Your visual jutsu is useless."
Rasaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #44
Sabra Kusabana
Veteran Chunin

Sabra Kusabana is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Sabra Kusabana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tasogare View Post
Other then humans sharing 97-98% of DNA with primeapes, as well as all the human bones that were found of Homo Habilus, Homo Erectus, etc, that we are proven to have evolved from.

Evolution is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
I am impressed that they included Wallace and Mendel in the ariticle above. Wiki is stepping up in it's reliablity. Someday it will become a truely viable source of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViolletteHeart View Post
I technically (there's that word again...) believe in both, though not Christianity. Although I call myself atheist, I suppose I'm technically agnostic. As stated previously, although some aspects of science disprove certain aspects of religion, others support each other.

For example, I believe in reincarnation. In science, we learn that matter and energy are neither created nor destroyed, they simply move around and change states. Therefore, if you think of your soul as a type of energy, it simply moves from body to body as one life ends and the next begins.
V, I believe we need to remove ourselves from eachother's heads. While I'm not atheist or technically agnostic the above applies quiet well for my veiws on the subject as well.

Please no one ask me what I am if I'm neither of the above, most of you wouldn't understand, and it's a religion that long ago fell from the everyday world in which it had once been so important.

Last edited by Sabra Kusabana; 08-08-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Sabra Kusabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #45
Sabra Kusabana
Veteran Chunin

Sabra Kusabana is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Sabra Kusabana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasaga View Post
I believe in both. Science explains many things that cannot be disputed, ost things anyway. To prove that there is a god would mean that we are above him. Touchy subject.
Quoted for truth.

To prove there is such a being would disprove their godhood.
Sabra Kusabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #46
[R o s e]
Freshmen Academy Student

[R o s e] is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Science, I'd rather focus on the real, and what I can see, than just clinging onto some belief which can't be proven real or unreal.
[R o s e] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #47
WeezyBaby
Genin Elite

WeezyBaby has completed a tough C-rank mission!WeezyBaby has completed a tough C-rank mission!WeezyBaby has completed a tough C-rank mission!

What if i said i believe in science because we have this knowledge since God gave it to us. Whenever we discover something, God let us discover it.
WeezyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #48
sasu_girl
Lovely Girl :3
Special Jonin Candidate

sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.sasu_girl is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

you can "believe" in both. i'm an infidel, so i obviously don't believe in religion xD as most of you probably guessed, i'm also a supporter of science.

why i don't believe in religion: i see it as irrational. i won't get into detail as to not start anything.

why i do believe in science: because it can be proven.

~*~*~*슈퍼주니어*~*~*~
sasu_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #49
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Super High School Level Narcissist
Quasi-Admin

Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via MSN to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Maikeru D. Shinigami

I'm more of a religionist. I believe in both though, to an extent.

I'd rather focus on the more difficult out of this world things that could affect my eternal soul than the current, admittabley more provable ideas of science. I see no real reason for anything other than some form of religion, as it would just make life meaningless.

YouTube:
src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Maikeru D. Shinigami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #50
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Both. I think when used properly the two can actually compliment each other.
Science answers the "how" and religion answers the "why".

Spam once and the forum will be annoyed.
Spam twice and warnings will be deployed
Spam thrice and a infraction you will receive
Spam 8,984 times and a FAIL Agent you''ll soon be.

...At least in my case.
mrsticky005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #51
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

It's really hard for me to explain it in words, but prefer not to think about one or the another too much. Scientific reason only goes as far as our technology permits and religion is based on one's faith. Since my faith in anything has been shattered long ago, I'm just floating between the lines. On one hand I believe there is something beyond what we can see,touch,smell,taste and hear. Yet on the other hand, I sometimes wonder if my experience with the beyond was nothing more than an emotional breakdown.

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #52
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Quasi-Admin

Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via MSN to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Maikeru D. Shinigami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
It's really hard for me to explain it in words, but prefer not to think about one or the another too much. Scientific reason only goes as far as our technology permits and religion is based on one's faith. Since my faith in anything has been shattered long ago, I'm just floating between the lines. On one hand I believe there is something beyond what we can see,touch,smell,taste and hear. Yet on the other hand, I sometimes wonder if my experience with the beyond was nothing more than an emotional breakdown.
The beyond exists. My family has seen ghosts, smelt smells and other things. We aren't unstable either. My uncle's son was haunted in their old house and tried to hit his sister with a hammer, for no apparent reason. That's not the only thing that happened in that house. My aunt saw the ghost of my grandma, whom she had never seen before that day even in pictures. Ever wonder why you can sometimes dream and feel the things from your dreams after you wake up?

YouTube:
src="
Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #53
ItachiAnbu
Special Jonin Candidate

ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLeesFutureWife View Post
Must we keep talking about religion on a Naruto Forum? -_-
Apparently, yes.

OMGSKITTLES! RLFW returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikeru Shinigami View Post
The beyond exists. My family has seen ghosts, smelt smells and other things. We aren't unstable either. My uncle's son was haunted in their old house and tried to hit his sister with a hammer, for no apparent reason. That's not the only thing that happened in that house. My aunt saw the ghost of my grandma, whom she had never seen before that day even in pictures. Ever wonder why you can sometimes dream and feel the things from your dreams after you wake up?
I feel I must disagree. That these things evidence the supernatural is seems to be base assumption. We can both agree there is an explanation, whether it comes from "the beyond" or no. It doesn't seem like it would be far-fetched if these things had very scientific explanations, don't you think?

ItachiAnbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #54
The 1st Hokage
Monster Disciple

Location: Bein' naked in your closet. Don't worry, I'm not comin out.
The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

Good job to whoever necro'd this.

But while I'm here, I believe in both. Science can answer some questions, but Religion answers all, you just have to believe it. You can get into a big debate with someone who believes the Big Bang caused the creation of the Universe, or you can believe that God created the universe, or you can do like some people, including myself, and believe the Big Bang created the Universe, but God made the Big Bang happen. All of which are assumptions. There is no 100% solid proof of the Big Bang, and there is no 100% solid proof of a higher being. I believe Science and Religion can go hand and hand, without controdicting each other.

Quote:
I looked at the post and laughed SO HARD again! I hate you, 1st Hokage.
I AM STRAIGHT FOR VEX<3

I AM ALSO GAY FOR JONESY<3
The 1st Hokage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #55
Snowy Owl
Council Fate - Clotho

Snowy Owl is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Snowy Owl is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Snowy Owl is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Snowy Owl is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Awards Showcase

I think both are important. Science gives the world sense; religion gives it meaning. One without the other isn't quite as fulfilling somehow.

Snowy Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #56
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Quasi-Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItachiAnbu View Post
I feel I must disagree. That these things evidence the supernatural is seems to be base assumption. We can both agree there is an explanation, whether it comes from "the beyond" or no. It doesn't seem like it would be far-fetched if these things had very scientific explanations, don't you think?
Ghosts, hauntings, I don't think so. What science does that? I'd prefer to believe in an area that affects my eternal soul over something that doesn't matter in the afterlife one way or the other.

Perhaps it can be giving some scientific evidence somewhere. I see nothing that would prove it scientifically. But, I would still consider it the "beyond" either way.

YouTube:
src="

Last edited by Maikeru D. Shinigami; 08-27-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #57
Blind Uchiha
formerly Kuroi Kagai
Lightning Amp Disciple
Justice of the BG

Blind Uchiha just might be Kage someday.
Blind Uchiha just might be Kage someday.Blind Uchiha just might be Kage someday.Blind Uchiha just might be Kage someday.Blind Uchiha just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via Skype™ to Blind Uchiha

The question is inherently flawed. Science is not mutually exclusive of religion or vice versa. Science can not prove origin due to it being limited by human perspective. Hence, belief in a God does not go against the principles of science - only theories made through scientific inquiry. Since theories are not proven fact and religion is not proven fact, they do not directly clash. Anyone who claims otherwise is ignorant of what science and religion truly are.

Blind Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #58
ItachiAnbu
Special Jonin Candidate

ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikeru Shinigami View Post
Ghosts, hauntings, I don't think so. What science does that? I'd prefer to believe in an area that affects my eternal soul over something that doesn't matter in the afterlife one way or the other.

Perhaps it can be giving some scientific evidence somewhere. I see nothing that would prove it scientifically. But, I would still consider it the "beyond" either way.
That's interesting. Seriously, I'm quite intruiged by that last part.

If it's the "beyond" either way, then it should be possible to prove so scientifically. And that's an interesting prospect, don't you think? Scientific proof of ghosts and such?

It's pretty cool to think about, considering there's so much we don't know.

ItachiAnbu is offline   Reply With Quote