Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Battlegrounds Versus Debates > Omniverse

Omniverse Anything goes in this forum. Any multiverse, any singleverse, any fight. Just know in advance that Kakashi can't beat Superman.

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #41
The 1st Hokage
Monster Disciple

Location: Bein' naked in your closet. Don't worry, I'm not comin out.
The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.The 1st Hokage has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: You with a katana VS. A Bear.

I'd be all slap it around a little bit, because I gotta keep my pimp hand strong, then while it's crying, I'll stab it in the stomach, killing it, then I take the skin and wear it as a trophy.

Quote:
I looked at the post and laughed SO HARD again! I hate you, 1st Hokage.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I AM STRAIGHT FOR VEX<3

I AM ALSO GAY FOR JONESY<3
Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #42
Raiku
Chunin Exam Proctor

Raiku saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

I would just troll it to death using my troll katana which grants me +15 troll power.

I'm not asking you to win..I'm asking you not to give up.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #43
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiku View Post
I would just troll it to death using my troll katana which grants me +15 troll power.

Grizzly bear: Since when were you under the impression that it was you who were wielding the troll katana and being granted the +15 troll power?

Grizzly bear gains +15 troll power and the Hogokyou!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spam once and the forum will be annoyed.
Spam twice and warnings will be deployed
Spam thrice and a infraction you will receive
Spam 8,984 times and a FAIL Agent you''ll soon be.

...At least in my case.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #44
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg gangster View Post
What is the reach of the bears arms? Is my katana longer? Does the bear have rabies or cubs in the cave with it? Has the bear attacked humans before?
considering the bear can turn a full grown Bull or Lions skull into powder...and his muscles and skin and fur are so thick small to medium range caliber bullets don't actually do much more then superficial damage...reach is irrelevant..you are not under any circumstances doing anything that does more then ensure the Bear starts eating you alive out of pure anger,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxeres View Post
The second it gets near you, swing the blade in a underhand fashion and cut off it's foot. Move to the side and do a forward jab with the blade in the center of his side hitting major organs, Killing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_4th_Legendary_Sannin_ View Post
I actually have confidence in my Swordsmanship. Also, be resourcefull! Its a narrow cave, so what i'd do is take aim (holding it by the tip) and throw the Katana Tomahawk-Style down the cave. Since its narrow, the Bear cant sidestep. Then after it hits I just shove it in farther. A second scenario is to run up the side wall and drive it through the head.
these are the funniest (and most hilariously incorrect) statements in this thread

you guys would die..horribly and the bear would wonder why the naked ape thing was trying to stick it with an annoying shiny stick before crushing your chest with a pimp smack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha_Sora View Post
Yeah, I just assumed it was a Grizzly bear. I could take a black bear pretty easy.
they kill more people then Grizzlies being the Joe Pescis of the bear family

you think you can take regular Joe Pesci? let alone Bear Pesci?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill3r_B-st View Post
anyone below the age of 18 and said they would take a bear lied unless you have muscles the size of the bear and speed as fast as(im not either so)....well i only no running speed but unless you can swing a sword faster than a bear can swing it paw. I'm pretty sure unless your that cocky you would be backing away instead of trying to die on that very day. some of you have seen to much anime as your not really gonna chop off a body part with some small katanas and average muscle size. you would wound it and make it madder and die quicker. If it were me I would even be in the cave. I'm a track runner. I would use my skills to run and take cover until it goes away to live another daY like a common sensible person would do.
this guy knows his shyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis Arashi View Post
I stab it in the face. Or jugular after sidesteping.
the bear bites the katana and snaps it then crushes your skull with it's paw

stop watching anime and learn something about RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaitachi View Post
You people are idiots if you think you can take on a bear with a sword. Let alone that dude who thinks he can chop its head off, better yet with one cut.
good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
It's quite possibly a double KO.
no it isn't not with out spears plate armor..or a gun lol

Quote:
The Katana through the bear's throat would maybe kill it.
But you're going to be in range of the bear's claws.
a Katana is gonna cut the head off something that can bounce thirty cal bullets off it's fur? really? the same Katanas that chipped against Mongolian Leather Armor?

Quote:

Also not to mention bear's are hella fast.
yup

Quote:
The best melee against a bear would probably be a spear.
multiple spears maybe javelins
Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #45
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

The bear shits on me, GG.

Do you really all think that a bear isn't strong enough to snap the sword? We're talking about something durable to tank a couple shot gun shells in their gut, where we'd die if we get shot by a pistol.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #46
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.The Immortal Watch Dog is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
The bear shits on me, GG.

Do you really all think that a bear isn't strong enough to snap the sword? We're talking about something durable to tank a couple shot gun shells in their gut, where we'd die if we get shot by a pistol.
people in this thread should read this

some excerpt

Quote:
When the bear reappeared on November 30, they shot it but failed to kill it. The next morning they followed the bear's footprints, which led towards Mount Onishika (鬼鹿山 Onishika-yama?). Along the trail the hunting party discovered bloodstains, but a snowstorm forced them to turn back. They believed that the bear, having been injured, would now fear humans and would no longer raid settlements
Quote:
On December 9, 1915, at 10:30 a.m., the giant brown bear turned up at the home of the Ōta family. Abe Mayu, the farmer's wife, and Hasumi Mikio, a baby being taken care of by Mayu, were at the house. Mikio was bitten on the head and killed. Mayu fought back, apparently by throwing firewood, and tried to escape. She was overtaken, knocked down, and dragged into the forest. According to contemporary descriptions the scene resembled a slaughterhouse, with blood puddled on the farmhouse floor.
Quote:
Return to the Ōta farm

The bear had cached the body of Mayu in the snow in an attempt to preserve it, as well as to hide it from scavengers. The villagers believed that once the bear had a taste for human flesh, its return to the settlement was assured. Villagers gathered at the Ōta family's home with guns. Around 8 o'clock that night, the bear reappeared. Although the villagers had anticipated the bear's return, they were nonetheless panicked by it. One man did manage to shoot at the bear. By the time the corps of 50 guardsmen posted 300 metres away at the neighbouring Miyoke house arrived, the bear had vanished into the woods. Fortunately, no one had been attacked. The corps reassembled and headed downstream on what was thought to be the bear's trail.
really the rest is too graphic to post but it reads something out of a god damn horror movie and people are seriously sitting here..claiming a Katana is gonna do anything

even lions are dangerous to entire camps full of people with Guns, these two killing between thirty and a hundred people according to recent studies

seriously people Katana's and Mcdojo martial arts skills and episodes of Rouroni Kenshin Samura champloo and ninja scroll aren't saving your asses from being worm food here
Old 07-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #47
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Didn't even have that in mind, but you have a good point.

There's nothing you can do. and chances are, you're probably not even physically fit enough to run away from something that lives and breathes to run around in forests and basically exercise it's muscles every day all the time.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #48
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
Didn't even have that in mind, but you have a good point.

There's nothing you can do. and chances are, you're probably not even physically fit enough to run away from something that lives and breathes to run around in forests and basically exercise it's muscles every day all the time.
to be fair aside from whales the largest of which who swim across entire oceans for months with out food...Humans absolutely meta stamina..We're the worse nightmare of many animals simply because we can keep going and going and going and going an tactic of cavemen for example if no cliffs were around was to chase large prey until the weak ones died of heart attacks due fear and fatigue

it's just that Bears are very fast for their size and sprinting wise IIRC unless you can put a good enough distance between you and the bear...it's gonna over take you in the short term and run you down.

Now there are cases of people chasing off bears..little cats wolverines puppies..an eighty year old man bailing his fifty year old sun out in a fight with a Kodiak..but in those cases the bears either protecting its young..just passing through or more pissed your in it's general location

The Article i linked I did so because this a vs match and since your a mod you can confirm this but blood lust is on by default yes? the horrors that happened in Sankenbetsu..and what happened to Timothy Treadwell as can be read here is proof enough that a blood lusted Grizzly bear is more then willing to shrugg off pain and kill and terrorize in some cases entire towns

The average modern person..isn't doing very well with out a gun against a damn bear I'd even have trouble seeing pro Athletes and Marines take this fight certainly not with out a gun

Last edited by The Immortal Watch Dog; 07-22-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #49
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Awards Showcase

Agreed.

btw, all combatants are technically IC to kill if not otherwise prompted.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #50
J-Sun Tasogare
is secretly a carebear

J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Sell the Katana to buy a sniper rifle and a Marksman.

Then get to work.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #51
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Watch Dog View Post

a Katana is gonna cut the head off something that can bounce thirty cal bullets off it's fur? really? the same Katanas that chipped against Mongolian Leather Armor?

Well now that you put it that way I say you're royally screwed.

Though I didn't think a katana could cut a bear's head off.
Just that if there was any part of the body of a bear that could
be cut the throat would be the best bet. Though that's just a guess.

If the Katana was able to pierce the bear's throat would it possibly
bleed to death? Or suffocate? I mean it's a sword in it's throat?

But from what you're saying it sounds like the Katana splits in two.

Obviously you would die in the process of this as the range of the Katana is way too small.

On third thought after reading the article on the bear eating the village

I say you're MEGA ROYALLY SCREWED.

Katana's make good toothpicks.

...At least in my case.

Last edited by mrsticky005; 07-22-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #52
mrsticky005

Awards Showcase

This oughta get the picture across

...At least in my case.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #53
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sun Tasogare View Post
Sell the Katana to buy a sniper rifle and a Marksman.

Then get to work.
hell if it's an actual "authentic period style'' crafted katana they hock off for huge mega bucks in Japan you could probably buy one of those new berret fifty cals a few magnesium phosphorus shells and still have enough left to put a down payment on a cheap car. Seriously they've always been friggen expensive

and a old fashioned black smith made European sword will cost a fraction of the cost...and be better quality oh and it'll actually be of use against a bear maybe

Quote:
Well now that you put it that way I say you're royally screwed.
if you could cram the sword down a bears throat you could do it, that of course involves you being emotionally calm enough to focus on avoiding disemboweled by those paws..and focused enough to keep your upper torso away from its thousand or so pound body (because breathing is important and all) oh and physically fit enough to pull it off

basically ask yourself this and maybe every one else who posts in this thread: Realistically can you do this with out peeing yourself dropping the sword and or other wise screwing up and getting yourself mauled?

Quote:
Though I didn't think a katana could cut a bear's head off.
Just that if there was any part of the body of a bear that could
be cut the throat would be the best bet. Though that's just a guess.
Generic question time LOL: do you know how to swing a sword with any type of accuracy? under stress? are your arms physically fit enough to power through thick hide and fur and muscle? keep in mind for survival your probably gonna have to extend your reach and probably only the tip of the blade is gonna nick the bears throat.

I know I'm not any where skilled enough I've got a good pair of arms and I'm no slow poke but I aint no damn professional fencer and I've never had to stand my ground against a hairy raging SUV charging at me

I think you, you don't think you can I wonder if any one does?

[
Quote:
If the Katana was able to pierce the bear's throat would it possibly
bleed to death? Or suffocate? I mean it's a sword in it's throat?
you would literally have to jump at it's mouth and jam down its throat or get really close to it with all your weight and strength plunge it into the neck or kidneys or something..all of this while hoping the bear basically does nothing to protect itself

The Throat tactic certainly isn't unheard of though an old man in Africa killed a leopard bu tearing out its tongue so that it bleed out and choked on its own blood. He had a machete present and a back ho but abandoned them because he probably wasn't going to do more then cheese it off (that and his hand was in its mouth)

but you have to be basically very lucky and I've never heard of it successfully killing a bear annoying it enough to run away

Quote:
But from what you're saying it sounds like the Katana splits in two.
I'm not saying we swing it and it breaks but more then likely we swing it and piss the bear off then he swats at us and either maims us and we drop the Katana or he gets it in his teeth or knocks it away or yeah just stomps on it

Quote:
Obviously you would die in the process of this as the range of the Katana is way too small.
to give perspective on your post man an Orangutan has a six and a half foot reach...which is more then any human who isn't the tallest man in the world

a Grizzly bear is like two or three times biggrt

Quote:
On third thought after reading the article on the bear eating the village

I say you're MEGA ROYALLY SCREWED.
there's another one with a sleepy little lazy Sloth Bear in India that killed so many people the British colonial governor out sourced the task of killing it to some hill billy super hunter from the frontier turf. And these guys are small enough that an Asiatic lion can tussle with them and come out a victor and are relatively nice guys yet things got so bad they basically went to the extreme of funding and shipping some bojangle boot legging Davy Crockett type over and that was pretty expensive even in the eighteen nineties

mind it does not always go that way you know mankind has its wins it's just usually involves insane luck or skill or lots of guns
Old 07-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #54
mrsticky005

Awards Showcase

Quote:

if you could cram the sword down a bears throat you could do it, that of course involves you being emotionally calm enough to focus on avoiding disemboweled by those paws..and focused enough to keep your upper torso away from its thousand or so pound body (because breathing is important and all) oh and physically fit enough to pull it off

In other words unless luck or perhaps
a miracle is on your side your bear food.

basically ask yourself this and maybe every one else who posts in this thread: Realistically can you do this with out peeing yourself dropping the sword and or other wise screwing up and getting yourself mauled?

Oh no. I would screw up majorly and become bear food.

That's why I don't tempt fate and mess with bears.

Generic question time LOL: do you know how to swing a sword with any type of accuracy?

I'd be more likely to kill myself with a sword.

under stress?

Under calm I have no control.

are your arms physically fit enough to power through thick hide and fur and muscle?

Not a chance.

keep in mind for survival your probably gonna have to extend your reach and probably only the tip of the blade is gonna nick the bears throat.

I was thinking that would happen.
I get eaten. Bear gets a dry scratchy throat.

I know I'm not any where skilled enough I've got a good pair of arms and I'm no slow poke but I aint no damn professional fencer and I've never had to stand my ground against a hairy raging SUV charging at me

I've got no skill whatsoever.

I think you, you don't think you can I wonder if any one does?

Yeah, I'm not delusional. Even if I was armed to teeth
I know I'm gonna be mincemeat to a bear.
That's why I don't mess with them.

you would literally have to jump at it's mouth and jam down its throat or get really close to it with all your weight and strength plunge it into the neck or kidneys or something..all of this while hoping the bear basically does nothing to protect itself

I'm pretty sure this only happens in fiction.

The Throat tactic certainly isn't unheard of though an old man in Africa killed a leopard bu tearing out its tongue so that it bleed out and choked on its own blood. He had a machete present and a back ho but abandoned them because he probably wasn't going to do more then cheese it off (that and his hand was in its mouth)

but you have to be basically very lucky and I've never heard of it successfully killing a bear annoying it enough to run away

I imagine a bear's throat is a LOT more durable than one might initially imagine. Or that Katanas are a lot less durable than one might think.

I'm not saying we swing it and it breaks but more then likely we swing it and piss the bear off then he swats at us and either maims us and we drop the Katana or he gets it in his teeth or knocks it away or yeah just stomps on it

Yeah. It would probably be like getting poked by a thorn for a bear.

to give perspective on your post man an Orangutan has a six and a half foot reach...which is more then any human who isn't the tallest man in the world

a Grizzly bear is like two or three times biggrt

That does put things in perspective. I think part of the problem is that people like myself aren't as familiar with grizzly bears. When you only
see them in pictures with nothing to compare it to, it's easy to under
estimate just how massive these creatures actually are.

there's another one with a sleepy little lazy Sloth Bear in India that killed so many people the British colonial governor out sourced the task of killing it to some hill billy super hunter from the frontier turf. And these guys are small enough that an Asiatic lion can tussle with them and come out a victor and are relatively nice guys yet things got so bad they basically went to the extreme of funding and shipping some bojangle boot legging Davy Crockett type over and that was pretty expensive even in the eighteen nineties

mind it does not always go that way you know mankind has its wins it's just usually involves insane luck or skill or lots of guns
I think that's why they call it survival stories and not "Yeah, man, I totally owned that grizzly and told it who's boss" stories.

Here's a question. Each man armed with a boar spear. What would be the ideal number of men to kill a grizzly bear without injury? To the men.

...At least in my case.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #55
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
In other words unless luck or perhaps
a miracle is on your side your bear food
with a katana yes with a sturdier thicker blade you might win with severe injuries there's that very slim chance..but the truth is your ninety some percent guaranteed to be om nom'd like Cookie Monster at an Oreo factory

Quote:
Oh no. I would screw up majorly and become bear food.

That's why I don't tempt fate and mess with bears.

we all likely would man by the way your answers are more honest then people who get asked those questions I've been vs debating since about 04/05 and usually you hear "I'ma whup dat bearz arse" or "katanas kill tanks"

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this only happens in fiction.
it's not with out precedent there are reports of Roman Legionaires accidentally pissing off the now extinct Atlas bears and being able to to role under and slash them up though keep in mind that these were arguably the best trained soldiers on the planet and had no peers until the last few centuries in terms of that oh and as a Bonus due to them being desert Legions would have been trained specifically to maim and handle war elephants of all creatures...so obviously this does not mean that all of a sudden because some crazy Italians did it way back..we can

Various native American cultures and Vikings did hunt bears but the MO was to chase them down corner them and arrow the day lights out of them basically..

Quote:
I imagine a bear's throat is a LOT more durable than one might initially imagine. Or that Katanas are a lot less durable than one might think.
Katanas are masterful crafted swords they are exceptionally good considering how utterly horrifically poor the quality of Japanese steel is (seriously considering what Japanese blacksmiths had to work with they basically turned a pile of into gold the steel quality in Japan was that bad ) and they tended to cost as much as a damn house in the Samurai era...were as the average black smith in Europe or the middle east or Mongolia could churn out something of lesser quality but far more sturdy and for a tiny fraction of the cost. In fact theres a pretty good and long essay about Katanas I could link you over PM if you want it. I just highly doubt one is gonna be enough here.

of course compared to say Damascus Steel or Toledo steel there is no comparison or Damascus or Toledo crafted swords vs Katanas

The throat thing is not with out precedent though there's a story of a Canadian man who basically lodged a stick into a bears throat to chase it off his kid or grand kid and it did bail..on him it didn't die though they found it about six months later feeding off dumpsters in a logging town it had a foot long chunk of stick in it's lunges and a massive infection (hence the Scavenging garbage normal foraging wasn't possible) it survived that long..with out medical aid with a stick the size of your fore arm embedded in it's lunge

Quote:
Yeah. It would probably be like getting poked by a thorn for a bear.
It'd be more then that it might be enough to even get the bear off you..the problem is now..you've got a half ton animal..and your only weapon is currently in it's throat and if it's mortally wounded and bleeding it death it's gonna take any where from..several minutes..to several days

what you gonna do then?

Quote:
That does put things in perspective. I think part of the problem is that people like myself aren't as familiar with grizzly bears. When you only
see them in pictures with nothing to compare it to, it's easy to under
estimate just how massive these creatures actually are.
for a better size comparison *here is an Orangutan and a human side by side those guys have a huge reach on us and they're able to physically over power us and have in documented cases raped human females *

a human with a Katana would probably not be able to over power that thing it'd be able to hurt it real bad but that thing can turn you on your face and f*9k you in the ass until it bleeds to death and there's not a god damn thing you can do about it..and worse still it's scientifically proven..it might literally do that to you

compare that then to this
"

that thing was a bear killed five years ago it was so big it was tall enough to stand on it's hind legs and stare into your bed room window on the second floor of a house..

Imagine the reach it's gonna have on you? the power? that things head is bigger then his entire upper body look at that!

this paw is gonna be coming down on your chest while your swinging at it...think about that

Quote:
I think that's why they call it survival stories and not "Yeah, man, I totally owned that grizzly and told it who's boss" stories.
well if your Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett it might be "I totally owned that bear" when he was..about 11 years old two adult Grizzlies charged him and Crockett calmly shot one in the throat..and the other in the head

it takes..nerves of steel to do that though mind you

Quote:

Here's a question. Each man armed with a boar spear. What would be the ideal number of men to kill a grizzly bear without injury? To the men.
with a boar spear? us Viz battledomers? how many of you have hunting experience? with spears and modern composite bows two guys and some good dogs although personally I'd never effing do this people who hunt like that are nuts....the average member here myself included? probably like..five or six of us for one god damn wild pig for a Grizzly? ten maybe twelve and I'd think we'd loose some due to well realistically lack of experience and pants shitting terror

boar spears should do it they can gut boars like this this monster was supposedly taken out by composite bows

Last edited by The Immortal Watch Dog; 07-22-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #56
mrsticky005

Awards Showcase

Quote:
with a katana yes with a sturdier thicker blade you might win with severe injuries there's that very slim chance..but the truth is your ninety some percent guaranteed to be om nom'd like Cookie Monster at an Oreo factory

How about a medieval longsword? How would that compare?
I mean I'm not expecting it to do much to the bear. But
how would it compare to the Katana?

[/COLOR]

we all likely would man by the way your answers are more honest then people who get asked those questions I've been vs debating since about 04/05 and usually you hear "I'ma whup dat bearz arse" or "katanas kill tanks"

The only time you'll catch me fighting a bear is in a video game.

it's not with out precedent there are reports of Roman Legionaires accidentally pissing off the now extinct Atlas bears and being able to to role under and slash them up though keep in mind that these were arguably the best trained soldiers on the planet and had no peers until the last few centuries in terms of that oh and as a Bonus due to them being desert Legions would have been trained specifically to maim and handle war elephants of all creatures...so obviously this does not mean that all of a sudden because some crazy Italians did it way back..we can

I'm sure they were basically the Special Forces of their day.
Though I do think the average person was a lot tougher
back in ancient times. Either that or they were dead.

Various native American cultures and Vikings did hunt bears but the MO was to chase them down corner them and arrow the day lights out of them basically..

Probably hunted in packs as well.

Katanas are masterful crafted swords they are exceptionally good considering how utterly horrifically poor the quality of Japanese steel is (seriously considering what Japanese blacksmiths had to work with they basically turned a pile of into gold the steel quality in Japan was that bad ) and they tended to cost as much as a damn house in the Samurai era...were as the average black smith in Europe or the middle east or Mongolia could churn out something of lesser quality but far more sturdy and for a tiny fraction of the cost. In fact theres a pretty good and long essay about Katanas I could link you over PM if you want it. I just highly doubt one is gonna be enough here.

Yeah, sure that would be interesting. Movies and what not always
give a VERY inaccurate picture of how swords work (they cut through
EVERYTHING) so I think it's good to know how good they really are.

of course compared to say Damascus Steel or Toledo steel there is no comparison or Damascus or Toledo crafted swords vs Katanas

You're saying those are better, correct?

The throat thing is not with out precedent though there's a story of a Canadian man who basically lodged a stick into a bears throat to chase it off his kid or grand kid and it did bail..on him it didn't die though they found it about six months later feeding off dumpsters in a logging town it had a foot long chunk of stick in it's lunges and a massive infection (hence the Scavenging garbage normal foraging wasn't possible) it survived that long..with out medical aid with a stick the size of your fore arm embedded in it's lunge

Well there have been people who survived some very serious
injuries that you would think "How in the world did they survive?"
Given bears are much bigger, stronger, and more durable I'm
sure they can survive a lot more.

It's like if people can (though very very rarely) survive a bear attack
then a bear most definitely can "survive" a person attack.

It'd be more then that it might be enough to even get the bear off you..the problem is now..you've got a half ton animal..and your only weapon is currently in it's throat and if it's mortally wounded and bleeding it death it's gonna take any where from..several minutes..to several days

what you gonna do then?

That's basically why I was thinking it would be a double KO at best.

for a better size comparison *here is an Orangutan and a human side by side those guys have a huge reach on us and they're able to physically over power us and have in documented cases raped human females *

Yeah. Orangutan is half the man's size and could quite easily pimp slap
the man.

a human with a Katana would probably not be able to over power that thing it'd be able to hurt it real bad but that thing can turn you on your face and f*9k you in the ass until it bleeds to death and there's not a god damn thing you can do about it..and worse still it's scientifically proven..it might literally do that to you

Orangutans are evil.

compare that then to this
"

that thing was a bear killed five years ago it was so big it was tall enough to stand on it's hind legs and stare into your bed room window on the second floor of a house..

Imagine the reach it's gonna have on you? the power? that things head is bigger then his entire upper body look at that!

this paw is gonna be coming down on your chest while your swinging at it...think about that

It pretty much is like trying to fight a fuzzy semi truck.

well if your Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett it might be "I totally owned that bear" when he was..about 11 years old two adult Grizzlies charged him and Crockett calmly shot one in the throat..and the other in the head

it takes..nerves of steel to do that though mind you

and damn good gun I imagine.

with a boar spear? us Viz battledomers? how many of you have hunting experience? with spears and modern composite bows two guys and some good dogs although personally I'd never effing do this people who hunt like that are nuts....the average member here myself included? probably like..five or six of us for one god damn wild pig for a Grizzly? ten maybe twelve and I'd think we'd loose some due to well realistically lack of experience and pants shitting terror

boar spears should do it they can gut boars like this this monster was supposedly taken out by composite bows
I've got no hunting experience. And if I was hunting it probably be rabbits. Not a bear. I much rather be called a wimp then go on a suicide mission.

Would this be a boar spear?

...At least in my case.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #57
Tsubaki Steve,
Ninja Academy Student

Tsubaki Steve, is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

There would be a number of ways to win
I think I would
When it comes to death or injury I'm fearless, not trying to sound cool or anything I think it's a problem I have lol

But anyway if it stood up and started to swipe at you
Block it with the blade
A katana can cut half way in to a tree easy if a bear hit it full force its paw would definitely be coming off and then it would freak out and run away or be distracted long enough for you to cleaveits head off

Or when it stands up slice across the way so its organs fall out

If it charges at you assume an awesome swordman like stance and roll out of the way repeat as necessary until you find an opening, maybe make it run in to a tree just for laughs

I want this to happen to me is that strange? Lol
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #58
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki Steve, View Post
There would be a number of ways to win
I think I would
When it comes to death or injury I'm fearless, not trying to sound cool or anything I think it's a problem I have lol[
and this is where I laugh very very hard did you even read the other posts in this thread

Quote:
But anyway if it stood up and started to swipe at you
Block it with the blade
so we're clear your going to stand there and block a swipe that is powerful enough to literally turn a bulls skull into powder..something that is greater in force to a shotgun blast?

BULLSHYT

Quote:
A katana can cut half way in to a tree easy
this is absolute nonsense stop watching garbage that wanks Japanese metallurgy

Quote:
if a bear hit it full force its paw would definitely be coming off and then it would freak out and run away or be distracted long enough for you to cleaveits head off
Katanas chipped and failed against Mongolian Leather Armor..a Bears paw is going to bend and knick your sword

Quote:
Or when it stands up slice across the way so its organs fall out
yeah you realize low calibur bullets can't even do this to a bear right? that your completely and totally full of it

Quote:
If it charges at you assume an awesome swordman like stance and roll out of the way repeat as necessary until you find an opening, maybe make it run in to a tree just for laughs
this is the single most amusing and factually incorrect heap of nonsense posted on this forum since Jplaya and nightmare luffy

Last edited by The Immortal Watch Dog; 07-29-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #59
sagemaster777
Special Jonin Candidate

sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.sagemaster777 completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to sagemaster777

Were both bears so i think i could take him on.

Why is she so perfect?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #60
The Immortal Watch Dog
Mad dog on a loose leash
Justice of the BG
BG Moderator

Awards Showcase

Tsubaki Steve read this essay before wanking Katanas

Quote:
OK, OK. So as not to be a completely unqualified bastard here, I'm going to be a qualified bastard instead.

Katanas, of the era when katanas were still the sort of thing you used to kill people with on a regular basis if you owned one (as opposed to using one in the occasional mad charge while the rest of your unit was busy getting shot by Americans), were almost universally made of inferior steel to the sorts of steel that was being used to make weapons and armour in Europe.

This was due to the relatively low-tech, low-temperature, very messy and inefficient and, quite frankly crap "traditional" method that the Japanese had utterly failed to progress further than: Being a thoroughly regimented and rigidly structured society does have its advantages, but rapid technological progress is not generally one of them. Well, not until Those In Authority decide it's a good idea, and for hundreds of years in Japan, they didn't. A peasant with a low-technology naginata is much less likely to kill a nobleman than a peasant with a high-technology musket, after all.

The direct upshot of this is that even lower-quality Euroipean steel was similar or better quality than even high-quality Japanese steel. European steel was already being mass-produced by this time, in charcoal-dust powered blast furnaces that burned hotter than anything the Japanese had dreamt of in their wildest nightmares.

The folding method that was used to make good katana blades (and which a lot of katana fanboys yap on about endlessly like it was the Second Coming of the Sliced Loaf and somehow magically made katanas harder and tougher than Dorchester) would have had no relevance to blades made with the higher-quality European steel, because in reality it didn't actually make the blade any stronger: Modern materials science tells us that what it actually did was to spread the flaws in the low-quality steel (of which there were a great many) almost perfectly evenly across the blade.

With high-quality steel this process would have been pointless at best: At worst, it could have seriously weakened the blade. As it was, spreading the flaws out in this way meant that no part of the blade was any stronger than any other, or- much more important from the perspective of resistance to shear stress- any weaker. A blade made from unfolded low-quality steel would have parts that were significantly tougher than a folded-steel katana blade: But it would have parts that were also much much weaker, and a sword blade under shear stress, much like a chain under tension, is only as strong as the weakest of its parts. For high-carbon, low-purity Japanese steel, then, there was only ever one way to make a decent blade.

The problem with this, of course, is that skilled labour like swordsmithing takes time and effort to learn, and a swordsmith's time and effort are both urgently needed to supply the army with other things like spearheads, arrowheads, knives and so on, and there's only so much time before that bastard son of a one-eared goat with herpes daimyo next door sends his army to knock on the door again and would you please fill out this order for three hundred arrowheads as soon as you can I'll pay you triple if it's in by Thursday.

You see the problem? Folding steel again and again and again takes time, and that's time, effort and very skilled labour that's all going to be taken up with a single weapon. He could craft tens, hundreds of spearheads in that time, but no, he's working on this one bloody sword and he's going to do it until he's got it exactly right and then it's going to be God's gift to swordsmanship and no pizza is ever going to have held a damn' thing that'll hold a candle to it honest because that's what the customer ordered. Well, no poop except half of Europe, but the poor bastard wasn't to know that. Oh, and anyone else willing to pay more for it. The direct upshot of this is that Katanas were, how can I put this delicately, oh wait what am I thinking it's me for fork's sake since when do I put anything delicately, bloody expensive. You think your iPod was pretty expensive, or your computer? Well, unless you're a pease-eating peasant farmer in Goatfuck, Africa, in which case you probably think your cow is pretty expensive and you'd have a lovely aneurism if you knew how much an iPod cost, much less what one is, but let me put it this way: To a Japanese nobleman, a high-quality katana cost a lot more, relatively speaking than your iPod. To the African goat farmer.

Seriously, you could equip half a bloody army for the same cost.*

Now, think about this. You're a Samurai nobleman in ancient Japan: You've just bought a new sword, for roughly the price your Daimyo's anal virginity would command on the black market, assuming he isn't paying some monkey to do that to him with broomhandles already because seriously nobles have got to have been some of the most forked up and debauched creatures ever to have walked bow-legged, and you've got the full set with the lacquered black scabbard with the shrine motif inset that your wife liked when you went to pick one out. You even went the whole hog and had the smith quench the blade in your least favourite servant's chest cavity because the swordsmith says that produces the best quality steel.

You've just finished the proving ceremony (where you cut an inferior blade in half with a single swipe of your new blade) and you're trying to defend your purchase to the local bard-analogue who's being paid by the superlative to grossly exaggerate the awesomeness of both your boss and, by extension, all that he commands- including yourself. First up, what are you going to say to him: "I just got this ceremonial sword for roughly the same price as my house. The wife is going to kill me when I get home and I'm not even sure it was worth it 'cause I never really used the crappy old one I used to have much, all I ever really killed people with was my bow. Seriously, I just had to mortgage three whole farms to buy this thing."? I don't think so.

You're an Alpha Male (and besides that your wife is probably as much of a noble as you: Her feet are probably bound so tight she can barely stand up, much less kick your arse) and in the Daimyo's last battle you slew five hundred enemy warriors with your bare hands, teeth and tremendously hard erect sausage. You've reached the limits of what you can do unarmed, you say, so now it's time to go for the record: So you need a weapon. But not just any weapon. No, you need something amazing. Legendary, even, and worthy of commanding a legendary price tag. That, to the records, to the annals of history, is how your sword is going to be recorded. It just cost half your bloody fortune, so it had damned well better be!

This goes on for a few hundred years' worth of Japan's history, just as the thing with knights and longswords and Robin Hood and the goatforking peasants and baby-eating nobles and the Crusades and Saladin and so on did over here in Europe. Sure, the swords were better here, the records and surviving examples and some basic metallurgy tell us that, but relatively speaking they weren't nearly as expensive, so the only ones that achieved really legendary status were the ones that were used a lot by the mad murderous psychotic bastards who managed to kill enough dozens of people with them to become "heroes". A lot of them had names by that point, possibly because the crazy sheet wielding the bastard had killed or lost in combat all of his other friends and nobody else with more than half the sense God gave the bowel movements of a syphilitic dingo would dare to talk to them unless they were at least ten feet away, encased in armour or both.

Thus, the myth of the Katana as the Gods' gift to weaponry was implanted fairly strongly on the traditional Japanese mind: And it endured long after those heathen-bastard gaijin came along and started helping people kill each other (rather dishonourably) with big metal tubes that made loud "bang" noises and spat smoke and lead- not to mention selling armour that offered five times the protection of traditional bamboo lattices at half the price, because it was that heavily engrained. It got transmitted everywhere else in the '80s and '90s as the Japanese, busy exporting consumer electronics like there was no tomorrow (and, to be fair, for a lot of the Japanese economy it turned out there wasn't), started exporting their culture by the metric shitload along with it, replete with katana-as-God mythology and all.

The simple truth is, however, that they just weren't that great. They were much, much better in hand to hand combat than anything else on the feudal Japanese battlefield, once you got close enough to use them, but- and here's the point- there really wasn't much on the feudal Japanese battlefield that WAS all that much cop. For unarmoured, lightly-armoured or bamboo-armoured combat, the Katana is a fantastic weapon. It'll slice a peasant in half at a single stroke, another samurai in two.

But compared to Western blades of a similar era it has a short reach, is at best a little unbalanced, isn't all that much cop against armour and it's bloody difficult to stab anyone with it properly. A Medieval knight's relatively cheap and mass-produced gear (his horse will cost almost as much as all of the rest of his kit combined and will be almost as psychotic as he is- if you think a Samurai can kill a lot of guys with his teeth, you should see that horse go at it!) will, for all that it costs a fraction of the relative price, be significantly more effective in combat than that of a Samurai. His armour will be beaten, high-quality steel, smooth as glass, face-hardened by heat treatment and polished to a shine- guaranteed to deflect almost all known types of arrow**, spear tip, sword strike, war hammer*** and axe wielding maniac!**** A katana would chip and shatter before putting so much as a dent in that breastplate: the steel it's made of, even on the edge of the blade, simply isn't hard enough.

The problem of course is that so many of the other bastards in the medieval knight's battlefield were also pretty well equipped that, relatively speaking, it made much less of a difference.
original here

also seriously a Bear you can take a friggen Bear? oh lawdy

Last edited by Wooster; 07-30-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Closed Thread