Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Default Supreme Court Strikes Down Cali's Video Game Law

In a 7-2 decision, the supreme court struck down a California's law that said it was illegal for minors to purchase video games with "killing, maiming, dismembering or sexually assaulting an image of a human being."

Breyer and Thomas dissented. Roberts and Alito wrote a separate opinion stating a law more narrowly defined would be allowed.

Do you agree or disagree with the supreme court decision?
Do you agree or disagree with the California law?

Remember these are two different questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Wooster; 06-28-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Wooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Nick Tasogare
Special Jonin Candidate

Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick Tasogare
Default Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down Cali's Video Game Law

Fix that post Wooster, then call me.

/Storms out with brief case

Can Herr SRhyse and Frau Muffintop please remove my staff "powers"? The Mod Rules are a joke and everybody knows it lol I don't follow that last rule well enough, and I don't want to endanger the Communist Rule of the People's Republic of NDF. Thanks.

/Heil

Oh wait, now there's drama so I just have to watch this all blow up.
Nick Tasogare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Wooster is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Minoru
Previously Deidara Bro

Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Minoru finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

I don't really think it's that big of a deal. If they want a game that does any of those things then they should just ask they legal guardian to buy it for them. And if their parental figure won't buy it for them, then they shouldn't be aloud to buy it in the first place.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Perhaps, but what is the justification for preventing minors from buying a video game?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Danielle
Special Jonin Candidate

Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.
Send a message via MSN to Danielle Send a message via Yahoo to Danielle

Sam Alito Jr needs to go away and stay away. >.>

I was listening to this on the radio this morning, and I don't agree with the court decision, it's dumb. How could kids under the age of 18 be protected by freedom of expression concerning video games that are clearly not good for their age? Seriously, these games desensitize children to the reality of the human condition, they're not shocked by murder, war or crime. The supreme court is off base I think.

Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
Kunoichi
Easily Bribed

Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.
Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.Kunoichi just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

I saw this in the paper today, I was psyched. I don't particularly care one way or the other, I don't think restricted sales on violent video games is going to damage free speech, but I think it's a nice incentive for parents to start... you know, parenting again?

Spoiler:

Kunoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Zabimaru
Chunin

Zabimaru is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Don't they already not let children under the age of 18 buy M rated games? Isn't that what the ratings are for? If they rate the game T, then in my opinion, it's already approved for kids under the age of 18, and otherwise for games T and below, it's up to the parent/guardian.
Zabimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Perhaps, but what is the justification for preventing minors from buying a video game?
Wait...minors in Cali can buy any game they want?

I thought for mature games you need to be over 18 or 21.

Spam once and the forum will be annoyed.
Spam twice and warnings will be deployed
Spam thrice and a infraction you will receive
Spam 8,984 times and a FAIL Agent you''ll soon be.

...At least in my case.
mrsticky005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabimaru View Post
Don't they already not let children under the age of 18 buy M rated games? Isn't that what the ratings are for? If they rate the game T, then in my opinion, it's already approved for kids under the age of 18, and otherwise for games T and below, it's up to the parent/guardian.
Nope. That is an industry standard.

It is like movies. Minors cannot see R-rates movies because of the theater, not law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
Wait...minors in Cali can buy any game they want?

I thought for mature games you need to be over 18 or 21.
They couldn't, now they can.

I come down like this: While I love the fact that the Supreme court is putting high standards for the freedom of speech--especially with leftist trying to make everything "hate" speech--I don't see why a state cannot determine the sales of items. I don't think the federal government should tell states what they can prohibit minors from buying.

However, I don't particularly agree with the law itself. Kids have seen violence and movie for decades. Video games like Mortal Kombat are no worse. There are some things like Hot Coffee in GTA that I could agree that minors should be banned from buying, but retailers themselves pull games like that from their shelves. Law seems overbearing or pointless to me.

Still, I agree with Breyer and Thomas let California do what it wants.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
Jinchiruuki
Non Compos Mentis

Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.Jinchiruuki is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Honestly I don't care either way. It's not like minors here don't have parents who DGAF and buy them these games anyways. And if parents DON'T want their kids playing such games, then pay the hell attention to what the hell your kid is doing and be a parent. i.e seizing such games till they are older.
Jinchiruuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Kreegah!!!
Special Jonin Candidate

Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

The Supreme Court Ruling I fully oppose, as it steps on State Rights. I, too, do not agree with CA's stance on the issue, but see no reason to change the Legislature's mind. Even so, it seems wiser to me to leave that decision to parents and distributors. Kids can just go pout and feel abused as they have for years uncounted. Too bad, kids. Suck it.
Kreegah!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreegah! View Post
The Supreme Court Ruling I fully oppose, as it steps on State Rights. I, too, do not agree with CA's stance on the issue, but see no reason to change the Legislature's mind. Even so, it seems wiser to me to leave that decision to parents and distributors. Kids can just go pout and feel abused as they have for years uncounted. Too bad, kids. Suck it.
Kreegah!'s right. Are you?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

I agree with this law.

If I'm a kid and I wanna buy an M rated game, I'm going to have to ask my parents to drive me to the store, or give me some money. They should have the ability to have discretion over what their children are playing, it should not be determined by law.
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
Danielle
Special Jonin Candidate

Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Danielle finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
I agree with this law.

If I'm a kid and I wanna buy an M rated game, I'm going to have to ask my parents to drive me to the store, or give me some money. They should have the ability to have discretion over what their children are playing, it should not be determined by law.
Yes but by the law being deemed unconstitutional subverts the parents authority over the matter. Kids are going to do anything they want especially if they feel they are right in so doing. The Supreme court has no authority in saying it's against the kid's freedom of expression when the parents and state say they can't buy certain things.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
Wooster
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Yes but by the law being deemed unconstitutional subverts the parents authority over the matter. Kids are going to do anything they want especially if they feel they are right in so doing. The Supreme court has no authority in saying it's against the kid's freedom of expression when the parents and state say they can't buy certain things.
Ellie: Strict Constructivist.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
Danielle
Special Jonin Candidate

...I got a D in psychology >.>

Old 06-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
junchurikioftheleaf
Lonely Murkrow

junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

i disagree with california trying to ban everything
espada #0 of the escudo arrancar
I am the wayward espada, the embodiment of madness

Quote:
You sound Like a child.

And you're calling Jun an amateur? JUN of all people? The Jun who could possibly solo everyone? and YES,he can destroy you
for once someone gets it right
junchurikioftheleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
mrsticky005

mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.
mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.mrsticky005 is listed in every clan's bingo book under AWESOME.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Nope. That is an industry standard.

It is like movies. Minors cannot see R-rates movies because of the theater, not law.
They couldn't, now they can.

I come down like this: While I love the fact that the Supreme court is putting high standards for the freedom of speech--especially with leftist trying to make everything "hate" speech--I don't see why a state cannot determine the sales of items. I don't think the federal government should tell states what they can prohibit minors from buying.

However, I don't particularly agree with the law itself. Kids have seen violence and movie for decades. Video games like Mortal Kombat are no worse. There are some things like Hot Coffee in GTA that I could agree that minors should be banned from buying, but retailers themselves pull games like that from their shelves. Law seems overbearing or pointless to me.

Still, I agree with Breyer and Thomas let California do what it wants.

I think if you need an ID to buy rated R movies you should need an ID to buy rated M games. At the same time I think each state should decide
for itself.

Spam once and the forum will be annoyed.
Spam twice and warnings will be deployed
Spam thrice and a infraction you will receive
Spam 8,984 times and a FAIL Agent you''ll soon be.

...At least in my case.
mrsticky005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #20
shippuden166
Apprentice Genin

shippuden166 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Its there parents responsibility to moniter what there children watch.. not the states

shippuden166 is offline   Reply With Quote