Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #41
TigerC10
Freshmen Academy Student
 
TigerC10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0
TigerC10 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via AIM to TigerC10 Send a message via MSN to TigerC10 Send a message via Yahoo to TigerC10 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerC10
Default Re: Gay as a derogatory comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur Mom View Post
know this gay guy and he's not phased when someone says "That's sooo gay" or anything, or at least that's how it is from the outside....
I know a gay guy that says, "That's so straight" when he's frustrated with something (especially computers). Honestly, I think it's hilarious. Even though the person you know doesn't mind (or at least doesn't argue) there are other homosexuals that do feel bad when the phrase is uttered.

Check out this video:
Adam Sessler's Soapbox: Attention Bigots

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasu_girl View Post
*has decided to walk around saying "that's so straight"* =3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai's brother View Post
Lol I use that with my friends when they use "That's so gay" XD
LOL, just saw these. Yeah, my friend has been doing it for 7 years. Viva la revolution!


Anyway, there is a clear and distinct message by using "that's so gay", associating the word "gay" with "lame" means that you disapprove of homosexuals. It means that you want to tell other people to stay within the gender roles of man & woman partnerships. I am not gay, but I have no problem with gays. Actually, if these two ladies were to make out...



That would be sooooo gay, but it would also be SOOOOOOO AWESOME.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Err View Post
Nope. There's nothing wrong with saying 'that's gay' and if they get angry about it, then that's pretty gay since it's not used as an insult but to denote something lame.
That's so Err. No wait, that almost didn't make sense. That's so nerdy punk that watches too much anime. I'm not insulting you, I'm just denoting something lame.

Wanda Sykes - That's So Gay


The ultimate point of this post is that when you say something is gay (and mean it to be lame/dumb/stupid), you're saying homosexuality is bad. And that makes you a bigot.

Last edited by TigerC10; 01-20-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: I put an accent over the 'e' in "revolution" and it cut out everything past that in the post.
TigerC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #42
draconius
Chunin
 
draconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: mount drago training and honing my dragon sage justu.
Posts: 1,150
Rep Power: 8
draconius has completed a tough C-rank mission!draconius has completed a tough C-rank mission!
Default Re: Gay as a derogatory comment

this is a gay argument.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
draconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #43
ban_shi
Chunin Exam Participant
 
ban_shi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: plugged into the Matrix
Posts: 658
Rep Power: 0
ban_shi is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Gay as a derogatory comment

Gay is just like any other word, it can be derogitory if the person saying it means for it to be. So many people use the word :"retarded" to decribe someone or something that is silly. But the same arguement could be used here.
__________________
Tobi = Ninja Ostrich
Believe It!
ban_shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #44
TigerC10
Freshmen Academy Student
 
TigerC10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0
TigerC10 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via AIM to TigerC10 Send a message via MSN to TigerC10 Send a message via Yahoo to TigerC10 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerC10
Default Re: Gay as a derogatory comment

To retard means to hold back. Flame retardant suits protect fire fighters, because it holds back the flames - in this case the flame becomes retarded. To say something is "retarded" when you mean "lame" is always derogatory unless the thing that is retarded is literally being held back from doing something or (perhaps more accurately) from going somewhere.

There was a time when a doctor used the word incorrectly to say that people with mental disabilities were held back in society - that time has passed because people with disabilities have been afforded many different legal protections from persecution. Social acceptance of people has grown to the point that people with disabilities are anything but held back.


This is why I don't game with people online. Kids say these awfully nasty things, throw around words which I'm sure they don't even know the meaning of because they learned the slang from kids that were older than them and didn't really learn the intent behind the slang. When it all started, "retard" or "gay", it was designed to harass a group of people.
__________________
~TigerC10~
TigerC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #45
kakashi uzumaki
Prodigy Girl
 
kakashi uzumaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Elmo's World
Posts: 8,246
Rep Power: 13
kakashi uzumaki has a spectacular chakra aura going on.kakashi uzumaki has a spectacular chakra aura going on.kakashi uzumaki has a spectacular chakra aura going on.kakashi uzumaki has a spectacular chakra aura going on.kakashi uzumaki has a spectacular chakra aura going on.kakashi uzumaki has a spectacular chakra aura going on.kakashi uzumaki has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Default Re: Gay as a derogatory comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur Mom View Post
Okay, so you know how people always seem to use gay in a derogatory way in almost everything possible because that's almost the only one they know. Well, is it insulting or not is the question, after all, I know this gay guy and he's not phased when someone says "That's sooo gay" or anything, or at least that's how it is from the outside....
I personally don't think it's wrong to say it. Most people have different meaning to it. What I think is, you need to know when to use that word. I do know some gay people get offended by that word. I would think people should just not say it out loud in public like that, it's better saying it to a close friend or someone you know you won't offend.

Same goes for any words, you have to adjust your words to your environment.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kakashi uzumaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.