Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Leaf Village Council > Forum Feedback & Issues

Forum Feedback & Issues Having problems using the forums or site? Maybe you have some feedback about the site you'd like to share? Post it here.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Fliparrachii
Die Fliparrachii Die

Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.
Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via Yahoo to Fliparrachii
Default Threads being viewed

Wouldn't it be nice to see the amount of viewers, both guests and users, viewing certain threads?
Like knowing the amount of viewers that are viewing a certain section("X" being the amount of viewers):
Feedback Forum (X Viewing)
And of course the amount of viewers will change when browsing.
Like for example this thread:
Threads being viewed ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)(X viewing)

-Then place all the other stuff- (tag symbol, sticky symbol, rating scale, and so on)

Even though I don't really see the use of the rating scale/system since hardly anyone rates threads in general.
Instead of entering a thread and looking at the box below that displays the amount of guests and users viewing, it would be nice to display the amount who's viewing next to the thread title, all thread titles in that section, and if there's nobody viewing a thread, then just like how they display no views on a section, no number or parenthesis will be shown. And of course, with the amount of viewers who are viewing a section will equal to the sum of viewers who are viewing the threads, unless a viewer is in the section but isn't viewing a thread at all.

Just a quick idea.
NBA Picks----
East Conference: Miami Heat (53-25)
West Conference: Golden State Warriors (48-29)
-------------------------------------------
"They Even Judged God.
See If I Care When You Judge Me"
Im Pretty Sure The Whole "Ladies First" Thing Was Created
By A Guy Just To Check Out Ass
;p

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fliparrachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Threads being viewed

There's one inside the thread already. One outside isn't necessary imo.

See?

Spoiler:

EDIT: I know you know, but I just felt like it's too much bling and I wanted to show you how easy it is to just scroll down. I mean, just think about it. You say rating has nothing to do with the thread and is rarely used, but is who is viewing the thread currently more useful when half of the forum is using invisible mode anyway?

I just don't think so.

But it was a good idea if it had a bit more reward.

Last edited by Shikamaru Nara; 01-18-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Shikamaru Nara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Parak111
Jonin

Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

Post Re: Threads being viewed

I am all hands for this since it would make it easier for everyone, but I'm not too sure that you can do this with vBulletin forums. All other vBulletin forums are the same as this one, in regards to the thread viewing of course.

I would think that this would require changing Forum codecs and other tech stuff. It wouldn't be easy, if possible at all. I could be wrong of course, since I'm not too good with tech stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pervy Sage's last battle:

YouTube:
src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Those who break the rules are scum, true

but

ninja who don't help their friends are even worse!

- Ultra Super Mega Giga Hug

Parak111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Sheelah
S-Class Ninja

Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.

Awards Showcase

I would think that would just be a lot of work for the mods and quasi's...do we really need it? Not really, just knowing who the registered members viewing it as it is now, seems fine. If this were done, then eventually, people may want non-registered members to be able to post anywhere on the site. It all starts with one idea and expands from there. It seems like too much work for the higher ups...That would be a hassle. Why not keep it simple? Just my two cents though. Nice idea though...

Rest in Peace...My Beloved Cat..I will always miss you. 7/9/2012

Second Place in the 2011 Greatest Naruto Character Ever Contest

Sheelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Parak111
Jonin

Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

Post Re: Threads being viewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheelah View Post
I would think that would just be a lot of work for the mods and quasi's...do we really need it? Not really, just knowing who the registered members viewing it as it is now, seems fine. If this were done, then eventually, people may want non-registered members to be able to post anywhere on the site. It all starts with one idea and expands from there. It seems like too much work for the higher ups...That would be a hassle. Why not keep it simple? Just my two cents though. Nice idea though...
The idea is good for viewing purposes. Like if you need to see whether a thread is active with viewers, you'd see it right away, instead of being forced to open one by one and scroll down.

The only problem I see would be that it really would require a lot of work. I don't even know if this is possible.

YouTube:
src="

but

Old 01-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheelah View Post
Moderators don't normally have access to any special panels of the sort that you would be referring to, to my knowledge. I think you have to be individually given the power to view it. Well actually I do believe there is a semi-admin panel but you don't get to do much and it's not really an Admin panel at all. I can only search IP addresses and approve posts and whatnot. I haven't really had to use the IP search or the other feature. I only did and IP check twice, and I only approved one post. So it's not much work for anyone really but the Quasis/Admins.

It's probably just a combo of HTML and some CSS which could be easy if people know what they're doing, but even entering all of the coding seems like a bit too much work for little reward considering that we already have the feature, so what would be the point?

Plus anybody who acutally needs to see who's viewing a thread (Which I don't get who would for any real reason) can see invisible people and can see who's viewing the thread.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Fliparrachii
Die Fliparrachii Die

Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.Fliparrachii just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
There's one inside the thread already. One outside isn't necessary imo.

See?

Spoiler:

EDIT: I know you know, but I just felt like it's too much bling and I wanted to show you how easy it is to just scroll down. I mean, just think about it. You say rating has nothing to do with the thread and is rarely used, but is who is viewing the thread currently more useful when half of the forum is using invisible mode anyway?

I just don't think so.

But it was a good idea if it had a bit more reward.
Oh thanks Master genius. You're so wise. lol
Invisible Users count to the views as well. Trust me, rating is less important. Show me some threads that actually have a bunch of ratings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parak111 View Post
The idea is good for viewing purposes. Like if you need to see whether a thread is active with viewers, you'd see it right away, instead of being forced to open one by one and scroll down.

The only problem I see would be that it really would require a lot of work. I don't even know if this is possible.
Pretty much that, itself. It benefits in some ways. For the leaders on here, seeing a huge amount of viewers in a certain thread can bring your attention to it, and be monitored because most likely something rule-breaking can happen there then a thread with hardly any views.

Yea, I figured the amount of work as well.
NBA Picks----
"They Even Judged God.
;p

Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Sheelah
S-Class Ninja

Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.Sheelah strikes fear and awe in the fragile hearts of Genins.

Awards Showcase

True, most forum members are in ninja stealth mode in here...lolz Can't see them when you scroll to the bottom of the page...

Rest in Peace...My Beloved Cat..I will always miss you. 7/9/2012

Second Place in the 2011 Greatest Naruto Character Ever Contest

Sheelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Why would you need to do that though? That's what I don't understand. If the thread isn't getting any activity, there's likely a reason. Plus, even if you have the ability to see it, what would you do to make people post in it? Beg? I don't see the problem with moving your mouse and clicking a little bit to see who's viewing what.

I'm sure it's possible. I had a full vBulletin demo and I had to enter a bunch of coding to do that (Mostly CSS and HTML, though.) and it was very possible, but I'm not sure what version this forum uses, and I don't remember how to do it. It was the latest version not too long ago so I'm not sure that this is the correct version.

Although I can't imagine that this forum is using a very old version...
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapaneseAnimeForLife View Post
Oh thanks Master genius. You're so wise. lol
Invisible Users count to the views as well. Trust me, rating is less important. Show me some threads that actually have a bunch of ratings.

Pretty much that, itself. It benefits in some ways. For the leaders on here, seeing a huge amount of viewers in a certain thread can bring your attention to it, and be monitored because most likely something rule-breaking can happen there then a thread with hardly any views.

Don't tell me that, I knew it already.

Does it matter? Tell me why it is necessary. A legit reason other than I wanna see if my thread is active or not.

There are enough people on this site in power that have a diversity of sections that they go to, with I think 30-40+ F.A.I.L members and members that get their feelings hurt easily, I'm pretty sure any rulebreaking is very hard to get away with. Not the mention the average 8-15 mods a section.

Look at NF. I want you to know that the section with the most trolls/flamers has not 15 mods, but 3. We're much more tight with rules here, and I doubt that thread viewers would matter or have a substancial impact on the way that people act.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
Parak111
Jonin

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Yeah. You'd look at the top thread of course, but it doesn't mean that another thread isn't as active. I'd say that it would make it easier for moderators and other higher ups.

Quote:
Why would you need to do that though? That's what I don't understand. If the thread isn't getting any activity, there's likely a reason. Plus, even if you have the ability to see it, what would you do to make people post in it? Beg? I don't see the problem with moving your mouse and clicking a little bit to see who's viewing what.

I'm sure it's possible. I had a full vBulletin demo and I had to enter a bunch of coding to do that (Mostly CSS and HTML, though.) and it was very possible, but I'm not sure what version this forum uses, and I don't remember how to do it. It was the latest version not too long ago so I'm not sure that this is the correct version.

Although I can't imagine that this forum is using a very old version...
It would make it easier for higher ups, or if you need to monitor a section. No real point of course, but it would be easier in my opinion.

The version is 3.8.2.

YouTube:
src="

but

Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
Fliparrachii
Die Fliparrachii Die

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Don't tell me that, I knew it already.

Does it matter? Tell me why it is necessary. A legit reason other than I wanna see if my thread is active or not.

There are enough people on this site in power that have a diversity of sections that they go to, with I think 30-40+ F.A.I.L members and members that get their feelings hurt easily, I'm pretty sure any rulebreaking is very hard to get away with. Not the mention the average 8-15 mods a section.

Look at NF. I want you to know that the section with the most trolls/flamers has not 15 mods, but 3. We're much more tight with rules here, and I doubt that thread viewers would matter or have a substancial impact on the way that people act.
The amount of views in a thread, normally you would WANT to go to the one with the highest viewers. It would show if a thread is active or not. Obviously, the bumped threads will have majority of the views, but still, when knowing the fact of the views in all threads, that'll give others an opportunity to post in and conversate with others or jump in the topic. It'll also help for the moderators, so they know which thread(s) to keep their eye on. The invisible users count to the views, it really doesn't matter who is the invisible user, just knowing the amount of views is enough. Besides, I believe there are more Mods and F.A.I.L.s combined compared to SuperMods, Q-Admins, and Admins.
Well, that's the NF forum.
Quote:
Yeah. You'd look at the top thread of course, but it doesn't mean that another thread isn't as active. I'd say that it would make it easier for moderators and other higher ups.

It would make it easier for higher ups, or if you need to monitor a section. No real point of course, but it would be easier in my opinion.

The version is 3.8.2.
Exactly.
NBA Picks----
"They Even Judged God.
;p

Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Vornmusion
Smooth as Sandpaper
Sage of Lemonade
CB Murder Bros & Co.
Urthalre Di Wer Kepesk

Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.
Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.Vornmusion just might be Kage someday.

I've long wanted this feature added to the forum due to simply wanting to know the amount of traffic going through certain places in the forum.

Also to put this to rest, it is possible in vBulletin for both the sections and threads:
Quote:
Quote:
Whether it is easy to do however or something this version of V supports, is not something I know of.

Last edited by Vornmusion; 01-18-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Vornmusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Awards Showcase

Quote:
The amount of views in a thread, normally you would WANT to go to the one with the highest viewers. It would show if a thread is active or not. Obviously, the bumped threads will have majority of the views, but still, when knowing the fact of the views in all threads, that'll give others an opportunity to post in and conversate with others or jump in the topic. It'll also help for the moderators, so they know which thread(s) to keep their eye on. The invisible users count to the views, it really doesn't matter who is the invisible user, just knowing the amount of views is enough. Besides, I believe there are more Mods and F.A.I.L.s combined compared to SuperMods, Q-Admins, and Admins.
Well, that's the NF forum.

Exactly.
Sorry I took so long, I had to write a long wall of text. And now another. God you guys suck. If you wanna read what I wrote here it is.

Gonna make this short because it deems a very small answer:

Why do you need to know if the thread is active? You can tell that with a regular look at the last post date.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
Fliparrachii
Die Fliparrachii Die

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornmusion View Post
I've long wanted this feature added to the forum due to simply wanting to know the amount of traffic going through certain places in the forum.

Also to put this to rest, it is possible for vBulletin for both the sections and threads:
Whether it is easy to do however is not something I know of.
If it can be done for the sections, why not the threads in it? Eh.
Quote:
Sorry I took so long, I had to write a long wall of text. And now another. God you guys suck. If you wanna read what I wrote here it is.

Gonna make this short because it deems a very small answer:

Why do you need to know if the thread is active? You can tell that with a regular look at the last post date.
Why do I need to know if the thread is active?
Here's another question: Why do I need to know the amount of viewers viewing a section? If you can answer that, I'm pretty sure that answer is sort of related to as of why there should be one for all threads.
Hmmm, not necessarily. 'Cause a member can always bump a thread, or randomly post in a chat thread the next day, and that user can be the only one in that thread even if the thread is bumped and has a lastest post.
If I saw a thread that was bumped, but the only viewer was the user who bumped it, then I'd probably not post and start chatting until the usual amount of viewers who view the thread arrive to it.
NBA Picks----
"They Even Judged God.
;p

Old 01-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Awards Showcase

Quote:
If it can be done for the sections, why not the threads in it? Eh.

Why do I need to know if the thread is active?
Here's another question: Why do I need to know the amount of viewers viewing a section? If you can answer that, I'm pretty sure that answer is sort of related to as of why there should be one for all threads.
Hmmm, not necessarily. 'Cause a member can always bump a thread, or randomly post in a chat thread the next day, and that user can be the only one in that thread even if the thread is bumped and has a lastest post.
If I saw a thread that was bumped, but the only viewer was the user who bumped it, then I'd probably not post and start chatting until the usual amount of viewers who view the thread arrive to it.
No reason at all. But hey, I didn't put that feature there did I?

Well that's why there are different dates, no?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
Fliparrachii
Die Fliparrachii Die

Awards Showcase

Quote:
No reason at all. But hey, I didn't put that feature there did I?

Well that's why there are different dates, no?
I find the feature useful. It tells me when I should be active or start posting in that section. Same for the number of users online and the guests viewing.
Dates? Well lets take a look, shall we.
Exhibit A: http://naruto.viz.com/forum/showthre...5299&page=1891 A thread bumped just a few hours ago. That user was pretty much the only user viewing the thread for the past couple of hours until he logged off. If that viewer recognition thing was there, it would show me "1" viewer is viewing, unless there are guests as well.
Exhibit B: http://naruto.viz.com/forum/showthre...5097&page=5664 A thread that is being bumped constantly because there are actually users in there. You would know if that recognition was there.
NBA Picks----
"They Even Judged God.
;p

Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Awards Showcase

So other users influence what you post in?

I'm positive that I just post what I post where I post it regardless of how many posts or the activity of the thread and I could say that most of the users on this site do the same thing.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
Fliparrachii
Die Fliparrachii Die

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So other users influence what you post in?

I'm positive that I just post what I post where I post it regardless of how many posts or the activity of the thread and I could say that most of the users on this site do the same thing.
Sometimes, but it really depends. That's just me.
I, personally, wouldn't post in a thread that is so out-of-date. Bumping a thread, sometimes lead to locking that thread, most-likely in post-counted areas. I wouldn't bump threads in this section just because I can and want to make a scene about it. Doing so, you get scolded at because it's annoying and pointless.
I doubt most of the users post in out-of-date threads and bump them. The most I've seen from doing that, was from accounts that were recently made and end up disappearing shortly after.
NBA Picks----
"They Even Judged God.
;p

Old 01-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #20
Ur Mom
Special Jonin Candidate

Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

As said earlier, it would most likely cause "favoritism" of threads and clustering, making 70% of threads inept because they have been forgotten. I'm no-one in power, but I say nay

And yes, people WILL be influenced by others on where they post, that's just the nature of how it would be

Ur Mom is offline   Reply With Quote