Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Leaf Village Council > Announcements

Announcements Don't forget to read up on the latest forum and rule changes here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Toma RNK completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Default Changing when people can edit their profiles.

In an effort to thwart spambots, I have changed things so that now a user must have

10 rep points (not rep power) OR
5 posts

before they can edit their profile.

Once you have 10 rep points or 5 posts the system will unlock your ability to edit your profile.

Please note the system only checks every hour, so you may need to wait a while after meeting the requirements, but no longer than an hour.

This means nothing for most of you, but I wanted to announce the change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May 18th 2009: PM Hell... never forget.
Best post ever!

Always remember

Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from evil.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
Noctis Arashi
is rapidly losing blood from Naijeru's jugular attack
Formerly Susanoo

Noctis Arashi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Noctis Arashi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Noctis Arashi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Noctis Arashi is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via Skype™ to Noctis Arashi
Default Re: Changing when people can edit their profiles.

This is actually a REALLY good idea. *strokes*
Grand Master Roleplayer
Just Call Me Legendary Hoe -Fliparrachii Approved
Old 01-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Err
Special Jonin Candidate

Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

This should dramatically decrease the bot bans. I get tired of seeing them >_>
To further the point, we are a social species because we are interdependent. You could count on your hand how many people in a millennium can get by with absolutely no help from anyone else ever. Yet we never work together. That's why ants will eventually bring us down.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
Rasen_Chidori
The Smiling Assassin
Konoha Historian

Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Spambot blocker xD

Now I'll have less to do though. D:

Great idea though /thumbs up

Make your getaway, make your getaway
Break free from a fate that is far too sad
Old 01-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
zerosameri

zerosameri just might be Kage someday.
zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

This is an awesome idea.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

This MAY be a good idea, alternatively it may be harder to locate and ban the bots. This is a trial.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Rasen_Chidori
The Smiling Assassin
Konoha Historian

Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.Rasen_Chidori completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

I guess it depends on how persistant they are, if they can be bothered posting five times xD

Make your getaway, make your getaway
Break free from a fate that is far too sad
Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
Uchiha Raimaru
Special Jonin Candidate

Uchiha Raimaru has completed a tough C-rank mission!Uchiha Raimaru has completed a tough C-rank mission!Uchiha Raimaru has completed a tough C-rank mission!

Alternatively, if they have to post five times, they'll either give up or post five times with something that would easily identify them as a spambot, like, "Buy ___ today for only $___!"

That's the way I see it going down, anyway.

Great idea, in any case.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
UchihaHatakeIsabella
Chunin

UchihaHatakeIsabella saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

ok i understand wanting to deal with the spambots for the forum because its been causing a bunch of issues with the interface system but what about those people who don't really post and just want to pm their friends? im not talking about me just one of my friends.

a song
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaHatakeIsabella View Post
ok i understand wanting to deal with the spambots for the forum because its been causing a bunch of issues with the interface system but what about those people who don't really post and just want to pm their friends? im not talking about me just one of my friends.
The PM requirement is not what is being discussed here.

The PM requirement is done on almost every forum to prevent bots sending out hundreds of PM's to the members.

This change has nothing to do with the issue you are asking about, and I will not even consider removing the post requirement to PM people, I have seen what it is like.

Your friend can muster up 5 or 10 posts in an area that counts, 2 or 3 in the "new members say Hi here" thread. It isn't that hard.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Leafy
has a deathwish!

Leafy just might be Kage someday.
Leafy just might be Kage someday.Leafy just might be Kage someday.Leafy just might be Kage someday.Leafy just might be Kage someday.Leafy just might be Kage someday.Leafy just might be Kage someday.Leafy just might be Kage someday.Leafy just might be Kage someday.Leafy just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Good idea, though I won't be able to go on a bot banning spree anymore. lol

Old 01-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
Inuyasha
JAFL's Little Helper

Inuyasha is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Inuyasha is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Inuyasha is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Inuyasha is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Inuyasha is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

It means less work for most and thats a good thing IMO
Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
Shikamaru Nara
blank

Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Shikamaru Nara is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

I think this just means more work later, tbh...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
I think this just means more work later, tbh...
Depends on how much effort the bots put in.

It can be undone quickly.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
J-Sun Tasogare
is secretly a carebear

J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

It should be a good way to make most of them go away. I highly doubt spambots could put five posts in and get rep before they are reported or found. Also I'm tired of alot of people putting all their work into banning spambots >_>
Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
Parak111
Jonin

Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Parak111 has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

Post Re: Changing when people can edit their profiles.

I did notice that these bots are extremely annoying. Wouldn't it be easier if the whole registering process is modified a little though? I've seen other VBulletin forums using a Image Verification system. Just like this:

Spoiler:

I heard that this system severely reduces bots...

Pervy Sage's last battle:

YouTube:
src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Those who break the rules are scum, true

but

ninja who don't help their friends are even worse!

- Ultra Super Mega Giga Hug

Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parak111 View Post
I did notice that these bots are extremely annoying. Wouldn't it be easier if the whole registering process is modified a little though? I've seen other VBulletin forums using a Image Verification system. Just like this:

Spoiler:

I heard that this system severely reduces bots...
I also like recaptcha, but bots get by it quite often.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
Rikudo Sennin
7-Up Disciple

Rikudo Sennin has completed a tough C-rank mission!Rikudo Sennin has completed a tough C-rank mission!

Now this is a good ideas.

And surely AshenREAPER will be undefeated of the Flame of Erasure, because:
Less Bots = Less Boom.

EDIT: ReCaptcha is sometimes passable, because sometimes the code is somewhat clear even to the eye of the bot,

Look at this one:
http://naruto.viz.com/forum/member.php?u=27646

If he's a bot he's actually having a hard time now, viewing the User Cp for alternate ways to spam.

Feed me some negative reps
no reverse psychology please

Do.not.be.Afraid

Last edited by Rikudo Sennin; 01-05-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
J-Sun Tasogare
is secretly a carebear

J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.J-Sun Tasogare is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikudo Sennin View Post
Now this is a good ideas.

And surely AshenREAPER will be undefeated of the Flame of Erasure, because:
Less Bots = Less Boom.

EDIT: ReCaptcha is sometimes passable, because sometimes the code is somewhat clear even to the eye of the bot,

Look at this one:
http://naruto.viz.com/forum/member.php?u=27646

If he's a bot he's actually having a hard time now, viewing the User Cp for alternate ways to spam.
It's not a bot, the name is too clever to be a bot.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #20
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sun Tasogare View Post
It's not a bot, the name is too clever to be a bot.
That was an account I made to test the things I implemented. And to double check the registration process.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Closed Thread