Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Leaf Village Council > Forum Feedback & Issues

Forum Feedback & Issues Having problems using the forums or site? Maybe you have some feedback about the site you'd like to share? Post it here.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
ベーゼル
Chunin Exam Proctor

ベーゼル is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Reply announcement

I think this site should have a reply announce. When I mean by reply announcement, I am talking about having some way to announce or tell only the user who have a reply sent to them. Therefore, people can reply back to them easier and not having to look through the thread to find if the person has replied back. If there is any possible way you, administrator and/or moderator can add that onto the site; could you do so. I would really appreciate it, thank you.

Last edited by ベーゼル; 08-16-2010 at 02:24 AM.
ベーゼル is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Err
Special Jonin Candidate

Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Err finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Reply announcement

The closest thing they got is the subscription to threads. If you click on Subscribe to this Thread in the Thread Tools you can subscribe to the thread in question. This will tell you if there are any new replies to the thread in your User CP. But to find out if a user replied to you in a thread... they don't have anything quite like that. Implementing something like that would be no easy task.
To further the point, we are a social species because we are interdependent. You could count on your hand how many people in a millennium can get by with absolutely no help from anyone else ever. Yet we never work together. That's why ants will eventually bring us down.
Err is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

SRhyse just might be Kage someday.
SRhyse just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

With the way our threads are set up, the entire conversation in a thread is flat, so someone's reply being specific to another post in that thread isn't really registered to my knowledge, only that it's a reply to the thread. So what Err described is currently the only way to go. I don't use it myself, but I think you can have the emails the site sends you include WHO and WHAT was posted, so you could probably quickly tell if it was the reply you were looking for by simply seeing the message and title summary.

There is an option to have threads themselves threaded, as in replies to specific posts are in their own way subthreads within the main thread, but I haven't felt it's something that would cause anything but confusion with our userbase.
My dog Elly FTW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
. Thanks for wanting to help though!
SRhyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
<Aurega?>
Because having a blank username couldn't possibly be any more annoying

<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.<Aurega?> is now the name of a pricey dish at Ichiraku Ramen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRhyse View Post
With the way our threads are set up, the entire conversation in a thread is flat, so someone's reply being specific to another post in that thread isn't really registered to my knowledge, only that it's a reply to the thread. So what Err described is currently the only way to go. I don't use it myself, but I think you can have the emails the site sends you include WHO and WHAT was posted, so you could probably quickly tell if it was the reply you were looking for by simply seeing the message and title summary.

There is an option to have threads themselves threaded, as in replies to specific posts are in their own way subthreads within the main thread, but I haven't felt it's something that would cause anything but confusion with our userbase.
Back in the days of phpbb3, we had something called your posts, which was a list over topics you've recently made posts in, and it would update quite nicely based on whether you had replies to your posts or nor. Sadly, the vbullein version isn't nearly as good, and it can't be updated regularly since it uses the search engine instead of a built in function.

We could perhaps look for a hack that does similar things to the phpbb3 one?
<Aurega?> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
ベーゼル
Chunin Exam Proctor

ベーゼル is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRhyse View Post

Okay, thank you for everything though. I will look into trying out the subscribe to thread. However, I just tried search this thread by inputting my user name I got replies that were all sent through to me. Well I think I solve my own problems with a little help from you guys too. However, if you are still look forward or wanting to create a reply announce without us checking by ourselves please feel free to do soon. Although you don't have too, now that it's not that difficult to find replys or check them myself.
Anyways thanks for everything again, Srhyse and Err who introduce the subscribe to thread.

Last edited by ベーゼル; 08-17-2010 at 03:10 AM.
ベーゼル is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
colorles
Banned

colorles is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurega View Post
Back in the days of phpbb3, we had something called your posts, which was a list over topics you've recently made posts in, and it would update quite nicely based on whether you had replies to your posts or nor. Sadly, the vbullein version isn't nearly as good, and it can't be updated regularly since it uses the search engine instead of a built in function.

well i see you took my thread down before it caught too much attention; a smart move that many would make, but perhaps not the wise one. why take action when you can listen and observe? let the colors take there turn

oh my bad you combined; still should be here though, but whateva

Last edited by colorles; 08-17-2010 at 10:56 PM.
colorles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
Kon
...wants a different title?
Formerly Naruto/Fan Boy

Kon has completed a tough C-rank mission!Kon has completed a tough C-rank mission!

Quote:

ahhh sweet then we'd have like a Super Forum!!!!!!!
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
THE X UCHIHA
Special Jonin Candidate

THE X UCHIHA is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

nice idea but I’m afraid it’s not workable

THE X UCHIHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
TheBlackChidori
Special Jonin Candidate

TheBlackChidori is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Thems dangerous ideas yous thinking about there, Aurega.
TheBlackChidori is offline   Reply With Quote