Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Mall > Series Discussion

Series Discussion Got a favorite Anime or Manga you'd like to talk about? Maybe a Light or Visual Novel you think is interesting? Bring it all here!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Toddler Naruto
Chunin Exam Participant

Toddler Naruto is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Toddler Naruto is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Toddler Naruto is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Toddler Naruto is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.
Exclamation FUNimation has dropped the Case Closed TV Series

Source: http://community.funimation.com/tm.aspx?m=334069

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlow
As to do all of you guys a favor who told me to ask, while I was volunteering at the Funimation booth at San Diego Comic-Con, I asked Adam Sheehan what the "real story behind the status of Case Closed" is. Oh, and Sheehan gave me his blessing to post this.

First off, Sheehan mentioned that this has been told many times before, from the ANN Cast to AnimeExpo (though probably not as extensive as he told me). He said he's answered this question over and over, but people are just not facing reality. FACE IT. Funimation is done with Conan as a TV series. There are no plans whatsoever to license more of the Conan TV series. It just isn't going to happen with Funimation.

Conan has been given THREE lives, and has failed them all miserably.
Life ONE: Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, and single DVDs. Single DVDs (3 episodes) with Conan were a miserable failure, and in hindsight that's completely obvious for a series that had around 500 episodes (at the time). Coupled with it being a kids show on Adult Swim at 5:30 am (at some times), it was just not a good fit. (Though I did meet a kid whose mom told me at the Funi booth that her son would wake up at 5:30 just to watch Conan. You rock!)
Life ONE and a half: Case 1 and 2/3 were released with 6 episodes each (outside of 1.1). This didn't work either.
Life TWO: Season sets with 25-27 episodes. This also failed.
Life THREE: Viridian season sets. This also failed.

Failed as in meet expectations. The licensing fees and marketing money put into Conan were a lot, and the sales in return didn't come close to meeting expectations (and likely recur costs). Sheehan could not give me numbers, but let's just say they were bad. Conan has a TON of rabid fans, but there aren't enough casual fans (e.g. Kenichi) that push sales along. And you have to consider that many of the "fans" don't even buy the DVDs.

So how about the movies? Life FOUR? The movies sold well, according to Sheehan. Funimation may go after movies, for the sheer reason that the story is in the box and there's not as much backstory you NEED to keep going. Movies overall sell better than a series, especially a long running one.

So how about a simulcast? Not going to happen. Funimation wants to simulcast series that start at the beginning. Getting series in the middle are not likely, and One Piece only happened because it was actually Toei's idea.

So how about the Lupin vs Conan special? Specials are an option, notably this one since it has two fan bases to fuel sales.

Sheehan ranked it in terms of importance: Movies on top, right below are specials, and all the way on the bottom is the TV series.

I asked, "If the movies sell well, could that give birth to the series continuing?" Never say never in that case, but there would need to be a 10 TIMES sales increase (i.e. yeah right) for that to happen.

Sheehan summed it up with saying that the best hope for Conan is for the license to run out (and he could not tell me when that would be), and a smaller company with less overhead to pick it up (likely for subbed release). Section 23, NIS, and Nozomi were mentioned. He also mentioned that just like the Lupin license where ADV got the series and Funi had the movies that they could do the movies and have another company continue the series.

Thus, the case is closed on the Case Closed TV series. Stop this nonsense. It isn't going to happen.

Oh, and to top it off, I even asked Gen Fukunaga (as a joke, saying it half laughing). He, along with the entire Funi crew he was with (Adam Zaner, et. al.), laughed with me. "We wish."
My thoughts on this? I hope someone license rescues Case Closed ASAP and english dubs it using the VAs that FUNimation used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Toddler Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Taker369
Has Surpassed Outdoor Activities
Coca Cola Disciple

Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Taker369 completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: FUNimation has dropped the Case Closed TV Series

it happens

Spoiler:
Tifa Legacy is now in my sig =3

YouTube:
src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Taker369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
naruto fan101
Veteran Chunin

naruto fan101 saved a kitten from a tree! Yay!

I don't really like the anime. The mangas better.
naruto fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Toddler Naruto
Chunin Exam Participant

Toddler Naruto is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Toddler Naruto is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Toddler Naruto is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.Toddler Naruto is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taker369 View Post
it happens
True, but I'm mostly angry because there's no legal means of me ever catching up on the Detective Conan anime now.

(I do read the manga, BUT I want to be able to be up to date on the anime too!)

|
Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
MysticGoten
Special Jonin Candidate

MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to anything I like.
MysticGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
zerosameri

zerosameri just might be Kage someday.
zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.zerosameri just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

That anime was weird, I dropped it after episode 5. But yea it happens.

zerosameri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
FlyingThunderGod
Genin Elite

FlyingThunderGod is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

i really like the Series, it was interesting

FlyingThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:14 AM   #8
SimpleGenin
Special Jonin Candidate

SimpleGenin has completed a tough C-rank mission!SimpleGenin has completed a tough C-rank mission!

i liked this but never really had a chance to get into it as much as i would have liked.. i like the manga but with all honesty i rather watch something then read
SimpleGenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
NarutoUzumaki12
Special Jonin Candidate

NarutoUzumaki12 has completed a tough C-rank mission!NarutoUzumaki12 has completed a tough C-rank mission!NarutoUzumaki12 has completed a tough C-rank mission!

The series was pretty good but too bad

Naruto is Finnaly where it belongs on Toonami

Currently playing: Assassin's Creed 3

Spoiler:
Rest in peace Neji

NarutoUzumaki12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Toddler Naruto
Chunin Exam Participant

I decided to continue watching the anime subbed, but it still sucks about the dub getting canceled.

|

Last edited by Toddler Naruto; 03-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
II Xion II
Ninja Academy Student

II Xion II is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via AIM to II Xion II

Not a huge loss. I never particularly liked Detective Conan either way. It wasn't horrible mind you, just not something I enjoyed. But it's a loss for it to be dropped either way.
II Xion II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Kreegah!!!
Special Jonin Candidate

Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.
Kreegah!!! completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

I first heard of it when it aired on Colours. Loved it immensely. Ah, man that bites.
Kreegah!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
LilHinataGirl
Special Hunter Ninja

LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.LilHinataGirl is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to LilHinataGirl Send a message via Yahoo to LilHinataGirl Send a message via Skype™ to LilHinataGirl

the series was fun while it lasted, it happens :/ .... my friend katie wont be to happy to hear this.. she's obsessed with the series sadly =.=;;

LHG

------------------------------------

//Senpai Please Notice Me//

------------------------------------

LilHinataGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
Wind Style Naruto
Special Jonin Candidate

Wind Style Naruto has completed a tough C-rank mission!Wind Style Naruto has completed a tough C-rank mission!

The series was too long that was the problem and Funi doesn't have enough of a cast and financial support to keep up..plus it really wasn't making enough money for them. One Piece is also suffering the same problems with length and not enough casts but its sales are enough for them to keep it.

Its basically Devil May Cry(or Bayonetta) meets Dead or Alive meets Streets of Rage meets Street Fighter meets Power Stone meets Vanquish in gameplay but in essence its DragonBall Z meets One Piece meets Berserk meets Naruto.

Here is the thread:

Wind Style Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #15
Toddler Naruto
Chunin Exam Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHinataGirl View Post
the series was fun while it lasted, it happens :/ .... my friend katie wont be to happy to hear this.. she's obsessed with the series sadly =.=;;
if she's really that obsessed with the series, she wont mind having to watch the rest of the show subbed.

|
Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
VincentOMoh
Freshmen Academy Student

VincentOMoh is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Isn't one of the reasons why the Case Closed dub had trouble was the use of the dub naming (Obviously it wasn't THE factor, but I'm sure it hurt the series)? It seemed really unnecessary for a series that couldn't be aimed at young audiences in the U.S. and Canada.

And what about the VIZ manga? If I was VIZ, I would convert all of the names to Japanese names and correct all of the previous issues.

The only times when "cultural" name changes make sense are when legal issues arise and/or if young audiences are involved
VincentOMoh is offline   Reply With Quote