Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Leaf Village Council > Forum Feedback & Issues

Forum Feedback & Issues Having problems using the forums or site? Maybe you have some feedback about the site you'd like to share? Post it here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #61
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Toma RNK completed an S-Rank mission on the way to the bathroom.

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Grammar Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageoftheSixPaths View Post
Agreed, not to mention the enormous amount of slang Americans in particular employ. For example, "What's up?" "Nothing. We are outdoors." ".............."

What's up doesn't make sense in the context we use it in when compared to dozens of other common languages. Spanish has variations of it, but when you apply it to, say, Japanese, it makes no sense as a form of greeting or questioning a persons mood.
True but every language has slang that is near impossible to understand without being told, the pronoun/verb conjugation issue is to my knowledge an english exclusive retardation of method.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May 18th 2009: PM Hell... never forget.
Best post ever!

Always remember

Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from evil.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #62
MysticGoten
Special Jonin Candidate

MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma RNK View Post
True but every language has slang that is near impossible to understand without being told, the pronoun/verb conjugation issue is to my knowledge an english exclusive retardation of method.
Such as in Spanish: "Que Gual?"
...I think Gual starts with a G...or a C...
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #63
SageoftheSixPaths
NOTHING FISH?!

SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Quote:
True, but I've found that English in particular has some extreme oddities in terms of slang usage. Few languages shorten words to the extent we do, for example. In Spanish you say "Si", no "Sssss" for "Yes" and "Ya".
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGoten View Post
Such as in Spanish: "Que Gual?"
...I think Gual starts with a G...or a C...
It's a C.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #64
MysticGoten
Special Jonin Candidate

MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.MysticGoten is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

So close.
<toma: So glose >
Old 03-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #65
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageoftheSixPaths View Post
True, but I've found that English in particular has some extreme oddities in terms of slang usage. Few languages shorten words to the extent we do, for example. In Spanish you say "Si", no "Sssss" for "Yes" and "Ya".

It's a C.
Like most peoples response when I say "do you mind if I demonstrate?"

most people say "yes, please."

This makes no sense as they are saying yes they mind, but don't mean it.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 03-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #66
MysticGoten
Special Jonin Candidate

Can we get this a bit more...on-topic?
It's really gone off in the direction of what proper English is defined as...
Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #67
SageoftheSixPaths
NOTHING FISH?!

SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.SageoftheSixPaths has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Quote:
Like most peoples response when I say "do you mind if I demonstrate?"

most people say "yes, please."

This makes no sense as they are saying yes they mind, but don't mean it.
The wording of your post is a bit confusing. I'm not sure if that's simply another testament to the English language and the amount of stupidity implemented in it or my own inability to understand what you're saying.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #68
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Can we get this a bit more...on-topic?
It's really gone off in the direction of what proper English is defined as...
This thread really isn't going anywhere till a green name shows up to override my "hell no." but if they do I leave the forum.

But yes, I'm retiring for the night anyway.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Old 03-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #69
MysticGoten
Special Jonin Candidate

Quote:
This thread really isn't going anywhere till a green name shows up to override my "hell no." but if they do I leave the forum.

All right, good night, then, Toma RNK.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #70
SageoftheSixPaths
NOTHING FISH?!

Quote:

Night.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #71
Trafalgar Law
Chunin Exam Participant

Trafalgar Law is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

ITT: A kid tries to correct the internet.

Quote:
If someone doesn't speak it as a first language-then it should be checked over...and I don't know what supermacist or bigot means. xD

BUT, don't you even say in the War System words should AWLWAYS be said correctly? Shouldn't that apply to more than just the War System!
This was especially lulz worthy, for two reasons.

1. You are on at people, but don't know english or how to use google?
2. You made a simple spelling mistake.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #72
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

SRhyse just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

To put this to bed-

We highly value clear and coherent communication on the forum, but prefer to lead by example than make rules we can't enforce to any positive end. The punishment for writing poorly enough to be misunderstood is already inherent to it- you look like an idiot .

You can read through all the posts I've ever made on the forum to judge whether or not I value grammar, and we initially did think about 'helping users out a bit' with theirs during the forum's first couple months, but it'd be a multi thousand dollar effort for us that'd only piss off 90% of the internet. We're currently not in the business of pissing off 90% of the internet, and there are no official plans to be at this time .
My dog Elly FTW:

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
. Thanks for wanting to help though!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #73
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Bad grammar, why not just trying to capitalize your sentences and put punctuation. I hate grammar with a passion,but it's really not that hard.

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #74
SRhyse
Site Admin - Uber Kage
Viz Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_army17 View Post
Bad grammar, why not just trying to capitalize your sentences and put punctuation. I hate grammar with a passion,but it's really not that hard.
Based on your post, it obviously is in ways you have yet to consider .
My dog Elly FTW:

*Alot of people have been asking to help me with various things on the site, many of which involve sharing files between me and other members. Since I get asked almost every day, to do this or collaborate with me personally, use
gives you a lot more free space than normal to work with if that helps, but mainly, it's easier than me getting a thousand emails I have to download and upload with a file again to reply
. Thanks for wanting to help though!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #75
Bacon

Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Bacon is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

That's why I have to take an extra semester in grammar. xD

Quote:

12:11 PM So you enter the debate with full knowledge that you know nothing of worth on the subject, and then state you will not make an effort to learn. Way to be poster-boy for blight of the forum. Leave discussions of intelligence to those that have it.

Click the dratini for anime rants
Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #76
MysticGoten
Special Jonin Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRhyse View Post
To put this to bed-

We highly value clear and coherent communication on the forum, but prefer to lead by example than make rules we can't enforce to any positive end. The punishment for writing poorly enough to be misunderstood is already inherent to it- you look like an idiot .

You can read through all the posts I've ever made on the forum to judge whether or not I value grammar, and we initially did think about 'helping users out a bit' with theirs during the forum's first couple months, but it'd be a multi thousand dollar effort for us that'd only piss off 90% of the internet. We're currently not in the business of pissing off 90% of the internet, and there are no official plans to be at this time .
All right, thank you!!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #77
Hidden Ninja45
Jonin

Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Hidden Ninja45 is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.

Awards Showcase

I don't really care about proper Grammer. As long as I can understand what people are trying to say, then that's all I care about. Some of my friends on here type in such really weird ways, or make typos every other word, so I have gotten good at reading grammatically messed up messages.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #78
Toma RNK
Village Counsel Sage
The Dandy Man

Awards Showcase

I'm locking this as really there is nothing more to say.

Best post ever!

Always remember

Closed Thread