Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Leaf Village Council > Forum Feedback & Issues

Forum Feedback & Issues Having problems using the forums or site? Maybe you have some feedback about the site you'd like to share? Post it here.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Trafalgar Law
Chunin Exam Participant

Trafalgar Law is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default [Suggestion] An introduction forum

Can I suggest including an introduction forum for new members such as myself to introduce themselves? Almost every single other forum have one, and it's a good way to welcome new members without them spamming up chat forums with introduction threads.

And I feel unloved.

Also, the idea of combining it with a re-introduction forum (here and here) at the same time might also be a good idea.
Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Nick Tasogare
Special Jonin Candidate

Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick Tasogare
Default Re: [Suggestion] An introduction forum

Well, there was a welcome thread that went automatically, but people kept spamming inappropriate accounts. You can always just introduce yourself in the Off-Topic section, or if you have a character, in the Fan Fiction section.

Can Herr SRhyse and Frau Muffintop please remove my staff "powers"? The Mod Rules are a joke and everybody knows it lol I don't follow that last rule well enough, and I don't want to endanger the Communist Rule of the People's Republic of NDF. Thanks.

/Heil

Oh wait, now there's drama so I just have to watch this all blow up.
Nick Tasogare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Konoha'sGreenThunder
Wallflower

Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.
Send a message via Skype™ to Konoha'sGreenThunder

There was one. The new users never posted in threads that were automatically made for them, and others abused it by creating vulgar and rude names, without actually registering. It's still around, just hidden.

There are threads, however, for new users to introduce themselves.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Leji_Hyuga
Chunin Exam Participant

Leji_Hyuga is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

this was a good idea but there are spam heads like me

Family
Sister: Kizo hyuga
brothers: leaf shadow, gaarasword

SHADOW VILLAGE
Leji_Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Trafalgar Law
Chunin Exam Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tasogare View Post
Well, there was a welcome thread that went automatically, but people kept spamming inappropriate accounts. You can always just introduce yourself in the Off-Topic section, or if you have a character, in the Fan Fiction section.
From what I've seen, the Off Topic forum is for the random thoughts that pop into your head, and doesn't seem like the right place to introduce myself.

Apologies if I'm wrong, but a quick search of that forum gave no results for "I'm new", "Im new" "hello guys" or other variants, besides an apology thread for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konoha'sGreenThunder View Post
There was one. The new users never posted in threads that were automatically made for them, and others abused it by creating vulgar and rude names, without actually registering. It's still around, just hidden.

There are threads, however, for new users to introduce themselves.
Well that's a mistake, but I can't see any problem with changing it so that the individual user has to make the threads. There will still be a small proportion of abusive usernames, but they would also be then much easier for moderators to locate and deal with.

And I am well aware that there are threads, but it just doesn't give quite the same feeling, and it seems that it is unlikely to be noticed. For instance, right now there are two people who's only welcome to this forum is 'hello and welcome newbs'. Not the sort of greeting I would want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leji_Hyuga View Post
this was a good idea but there are spam heads like me
So don't make posts count there.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Konoha'sGreenThunder
Wallflower

Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.
Send a message via Skype™ to Konoha'sGreenThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
From what I've seen, the Off Topic forum is for the random thoughts that pop into your head, and doesn't seem like the right place to introduce myself.

Apologies if I'm wrong, but a quick search of that forum gave no results for "I'm new", "Im new" "hello guys" or other variants, besides an apology thread for some reason.

Well that's a mistake, but I can't see any problem with changing it so that the individual user has to make the threads. There will still be a small proportion of abusive usernames, but they would also be then much easier for moderators to locate and deal with.

And I am well aware that there are threads, but it just doesn't give quite the same feeling, and it seems that it is unlikely to be noticed. For instance, right now there are two people who's only welcome to this forum is 'hello and welcome newbs'. Not the sort of greeting I would want.

Anyone is free to make an introductory thread in off topic.

We really don't need another section, as we honestly have too many as it is.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Sage Mode
Site Admin - The Great Toad Sage
Viz Administrator

Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Sage Mode has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

There's always been this topic in the Leaf Village Council: http://naruto.viz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25

But yes, as has been mentioned, we were having problems with lewd troublemakers taking advantage of the New Genins forum that was in place.

A. he is gonna say this is sweet
B. leave not saying anything
C. he is gonna close the thread

--dogboy22
Sage Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Trafalgar Law
Chunin Exam Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konoha'sGreenThunder View Post
Anyone is free to make an introductory thread in off topic.

We really don't need another section, as we honestly have too many as it is.
As I mentioned earlier, a quick search indicated that the general consensus was against posting arrival threads in Off Topic; without the benefit of being here for a while, all I have is the search button, which gave me nothing.

Also, it's not just the aspect of introduction. It's also that when visiting a new forum, people get swamped as to where to go first. An introduction forum solves this. Also, as this is an official forum, I'm willing to bet you get more than your fair share of newcomers to the internet than other places, and a link in an introduction thread is normally read, whereas stickies sadly aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Mode View Post
There's always been this topic in the Leaf Village Council: http://naruto.viz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25

But yes, as has been mentioned, we were having problems with lewd troublemakers taking advantage of the New Genins forum that was in place.
Like I mentioned before, there is not much actual greeting going on there. It is mainly new people greeting new people.

And people will always make 'lewd' accounts, but they will generate far less drama if they post in a specific forum than your most popular areas.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
junchurikioftheleaf
Lonely Murkrow

junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

well teh automatic thread for new ppl was good but then their was like 50 new accs a min with names like " sage mode sucks" syrhys is gay" and crap like that but i think theirs a spot for new members to make threads to say hi
espada #0 of the escudo arrancar
I am the wayward espada, the embodiment of madness

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
You sound Like a child.

And you're calling Jun an amateur? JUN of all people? The Jun who could possibly solo everyone? and YES,he can destroy you
for once someone gets it right
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
junchurikioftheleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Trafalgar Law
Chunin Exam Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by junchurikioftheleaf View Post
well teh automatic thread for new ppl was good but then their was like 50 new accs a min with names like " sage mode sucks" syrhys is gay" and crap like that but i think theirs a spot for new members to make threads to say hi
Like I said, make it so that the individual member has to make the thread.

And no, there is currently no designated forum for that. There is a thread, but it seems like no one ever checks it. For instance, I've just added my own tags to it.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
junchurikioftheleaf
Lonely Murkrow

junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.junchurikioftheleaf finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.

Awards Showcase

well theirs really no point because the new member can easily go to off topic or chat club familys and roll play to make oen because those are for random stuff liek sayign hi and chatting and theirs still the fact that nobody would really go to the section with new members hello threads in it
espada #0 of the escudo arrancar
I am the wayward espada, the embodiment of madness

Quote:
You sound Like a child.

And you're calling Jun an amateur? JUN of all people? The Jun who could possibly solo everyone? and YES,he can destroy you
for once someone gets it right
junchurikioftheleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
Ur Mom
Special Jonin Candidate

Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Ur Mom has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Can I suggest including an introduction forum for new members such as myself to introduce themselves? Almost every single other forum have one, and it's a good way to welcome new members without them spamming up chat forums with introduction threads.

And I feel unloved.

Also, the idea of combining it with a re-introduction forum (here and here) at the same time might also be a good idea.
There WAS a form of that, but that was taken down because of lots of spam

Ur Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Fan of Minato
Special Jonin Candidate

Fan of Minato has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Fan of Minato has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Fan of Minato has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Fan of Minato has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Fan of Minato has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Fan of Minato has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Fan of Minato has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Fan of Minato has a spectacular chakra aura going on.

Quote:
Like I said, make it so that the individual member has to make the thread.

And no, there is currently no designated forum for that. There is a thread, but it seems like no one ever checks it. For instance, I've just added my own tags to it.
I understand you but however, there are quite a few users who do not know what a "Thread" is.
For a few, this is their first forum. For example, for me this was the first forum and I had no clue about stuff and didn't know the meaning of "Spam" when I got here. So new users might spam unknowingly but it still hurts the forum, sort of.

The thread you checked is basically for everyone, I don't know if anyone actually uses it however.

A member of the ANBU.
Post your question here
for it to be answered:

Leader: Vidda Hatake

The Village Hidden in Aura

Senpai: DragonAngel (The laughing stock xD)

I am a Temporary Moderator as well

The Forums have a lot of interesting things aside Drama.
Some are:

Spoiler:
Action 0_o
Quote:
hey DA you are a big dummy lol
Entertainment o_0
Quote:
But-but Gikage!! Does this mean you'll never have any babies!?!

Spawn of Deidara330 would be born instantly awesome.
Awesomeness o-o
Quote:
he's the man who ate the Kagu-Kagu Devil Fruit. 0_o xD

(Kagu Means Furniture)
Fear me. MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHA =o

And something Green 0_0
Quote:
Get Fom's name off there. Now!

A message from Sage
So Hockey...take my name off from your sig...xD

Best quote in the ENTIRE FORUMS:
Quote:

"TBC walks up to toma, and pushes him over, and stands on his chest with one foot"

"Toma flails on the ground like a fish, screaming something about the Chinese Panda Bear stealing his lunch."

Dances:
Quote:
*holds in mouth

Care to dance, my lovely?
True self at last. ;D TDZ, the lover boy. xD

What the google blue berries?
Quote:
Yeah, let us group together and show our AURA!
Sasori has those anxious moments too. ;D xDD

All in one forum....

Aura headband symbol:
Fan of Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #14
zebrakiller
Special Jonin Candidate

zebrakiller has completed a tough C-rank mission!zebrakiller has completed a tough C-rank mission!zebrakiller has completed a tough C-rank mission!

ah man, the new genin nightmare, probly the funniest thing ive ever seen on a forum...too bad because the system wasnt bad, some people did actually introduce themselves in those threads n some ppl welcomed them n such.

zebrakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #15
JCTKNE4E
has a red hand print on his cheek

JCTKNE4E is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.JCTKNE4E is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.JCTKNE4E is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.JCTKNE4E is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.JCTKNE4E is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.JCTKNE4E is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Your question has been answered, basically, so I'm sure that this will be closed/locked soon. But before that, I'd like to submit my thoughts on the matter.

I ought to start first by giving you a proper greeting then. Welcome to the forums! Glad to see you are taking an active interest here, and you seem pretty intelligent too, which is refreshing.

They are all right, we did used to have a pretty nifty section for just the thing you are talking about. Unfortunately (as stated) it was spammed up by already existing users creating false accounts with mock or offensive names, and as a result, we essentially lost it, which brings me to the point of my post.

I honestly think we ought to bring the section back, if new users feel their needs aren't being fulfilled, but with a few alterations (if possible).

What Trafalgar suggested isn't half bad. Instead of having a thread automatically created, how about making the user create their own thread? Or maybe have a PM sent to them automatically, after first being redirected to the forum main page AFTER registration, with a greeting, and the section hyperlink (new genins) to post their introduction thread, if they so desire. That section should also have a few helpful stickies (FAQ, Forum guide, etc.), and be moderated accordingly, to prevent the same fiasco we had before.

I honestly doubt we will have a repeat incident, and if we do, the mods and FAIL should be able to nip the problem in the bud promptly. We have had a few forum 'hells' here, but none that I know of have been repeated, and most learn their lesson from them. I honestly think we ought to give it another chance, as clearly, there are those who feel their experience is lacking without it.

EDIT: Another safeguard idea (to prevent inappropriate use of the proposed section): at the bottom of the main forum index page, you can see all threads that have been recently posted in. Don't allow the new section to show up there, to keep trouble makers from having their little capers as thoroughly broadcasted. That way, only people who really want to welcome others to the forum will notice the goings-on in that section.

These are my suggestions, let me know what you think. I hope, regardless of what is decided, that this doesn't detriment from your forum experience Trafalgar Law, and I'll see you around the forums bud. Welcome!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
they dealed my thread why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
can any1 pm me some yuri please

Quote:
thats why we call you reatard.

Quote:
私は、スーパー倒錯者。
Quote:
supposedly japanese but i have my doubts lol

JCTKNE4E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, idea, introduction, suggestion