Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Mall > Video Game Central

Video Game Central For any and all game discussion threads not related to Naruto

View Poll Results: Best Player Character?
Red 4 40.00%
Leaf (Female player in FRLG) 2 20.00%
Gold 3 30.00%
Crystal/Kris 3 30.00%
Kotone (HGSS) 1 10.00%
Brendan/Ruby 2 20.00%
May/Sapphire 2 20.00%
Lucas 1 10.00%
Dawn/Hikari 7 70.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Vocaloid
Special Jonin Candidate

Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

Awards Showcase

Default Pokemon Effort Values/EV Training Guide

Ever heard of people EV training their Pokemon, but you don't know what that is? Know what it is but you're not sure how to do it? Well, this guide will show you what you need to know about EV training your Pokemon.

What are Effort Values/EVs?

Effort Values are little points that add up and make your Pkmn stronger. There are 6 different EVs, one for each stat. They are HP, Atk, Def, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and Speed. Every 4 EVs give an extra point in a stat. However, the max 1 stat can hold is 255, 510 in total for all stats. However, since it takes 4 EVs to add an extra point, only 252 of the 255 are ever used. But with 2 stats, 252+252= 504, meaning there's 6 EVs left over, meaning 1 stat that can gain an extra point. And even with that limit per stat, that still means you can earn 63 additional stat points for 1 stat.

However, please note that you may not see the changes in a stat until Level 100. But this is still an excellent way to train your Pokemon for the Battle Tower/Frontier and Competitive Battling.

How do I gain EVs?

Why, you fight Pokemon of course! These can be either wild or trainer-owned Pokemon. But it's better if you used Wild Pkmn.

Let's say you fight Bidoof. Bidoof give 1 point in HP. Fight 4 of them and you'll gain an extra point in your HP stat.

Or if you fight Graveler. They give 2 Def. EVs per Graveler. Fight 2 and you'll have your 4 EVs.

An Alternate way would be to use Vitamins. These vitamins are;

Protein- 10 EVs in Attack
Iron- 10 EVs in Defense
Calcium- 10 EVs in Sp. Attack
Zinc- 10 EVs in Sp. Defense
Carbos- 10 EVs in Speed
HP Up- 10 EVs in HP

EV Training Items

There's certain items that can aid in EV training.

Power Items- The Power items give an additional 4 EVs in a stat along with the EVs gain from the Pokemon you just fought. Say you have your Machop hold a Power Bracer, which gives 4 for Atk, and you have it fight a Bidoof. Machop would gain 4 EVs in Atk along with 1 EV in Hp from the Bidoof. Please note, however, these halve your speed, even the Power Anklet.

Power Bracer- Gives 4 EVs in Atk
Power Belt- Gives 4 EVs in Def.
Power Lens- Gives 4 EVs in Sp. Atk
Power Band- Gives 4 EVs in Sp. Def
Power Anklet- Gives 4 EVs in Speed
Power Weight- Gives 4 EVs in Hp.

The Macho Brace works similarly, but instead of 4 EVs in 1 stat, it Doubles the EVs gained in Battle. If you fought a Graveler, (2 Def EVs), you would instead get 4 EVs in Def.

The Pokerus

Wait..the Pokerus sounds like a virus...is it?

Yes, the pokerus is in fact a virus, but a GOOD virus. It's purpose is to double the amount of EVs gained in battle. This can stack with the Macho Brace and the Power items.

If you fight a Graveler, you would normally get 2 EVs in Def. With the Pokerus, you gain 4. But if the Pokemon is holding a Macho Brace, you would instead gain 8 EVs in Defense! This also works for the Power Items. Graveler- 2 Def, Pokerus- 4 Def, but holding the Power Anklet would yield 4 EVs in Def. and 8 in Speed! BUT PLEASE NOTE, THE POKERUS WILL DISAPPEAR AFTER 1 DAY. AFTER THAT, YOUR POKEMON CAN NEVER GET IT AGAIN! This is signaled by a small black dot (Gen. 3) or a smiley face (Gen. 4) on your Pokemon's Status sreen. But, I've heard that the effects of the Pokerus stay, but I haven't seen it myself.

How do you get the Pokerus? Sadly, getting this little virus is all dependant on luck. You get it from fighting a wild Pkmn that has it, but the chances are very, very low. However, it's easier to just trade with someone who has a Pokerus-infected Pokemon. But once you have it, it can spread to the other Pokemon in your party. All you need to do to spread it is have it in your party and battle. It will spread to the Pokemon behind and in front of it randomly. If your Pokemon has the Pokerus, there will be a little purple box that says Pokerus on the Pkmn's status screen.

To make sure you keep the Pokerus, keep an infected Pokemon in the PC box. It acts like time has stopped, so it won't disappear. However, it won't spread while in the box either, so you'll need to take it out if you want it to spread.

How to Reduce Effort Values Gained

I messed up and got an EV I don't need! What do I do?!

Well, if you mess up, don't worry. There's items that reduce any unwanted EVs away. These are 6 berries. But, while these berries are in Ruby and Sapphire, only Emerald-onward will these berries raise Happiness and reduce EVs.

Kelpsy- Raises Happiness but lowers Atk Evs by 10
Qualot- Raises Happiness, but lowers Def EVs by 10
Hondew- Raises Happiness, but lowers Sp. Atk EVs by 10
Grepa- Raises Happiness, but lowers Sp. Def EVs by 10
Tamato- Raises Happiness, but lowers Speed EVs by 10
Pomeg- Raises Happiness, but lowers HP Evs by 10

However, if a stat has over 100 EVs, it will reduce it to 100, where it will then reduce by 10 until you have 0 EVs in that stat. Say you have 176 EVs in Sp. Def. Give a Grepa berry and the EVs will lower all the way to 100, where it'll reduce by 10 after that. It will also reduce it to 100 even if you have the full 252 EVs in a stat.

What EVs for Certain Pokemon

Ok I understand it all...but how do I know which stats I should EV train?

This depends on the Pokemon. While it seems like a good idea to EV train bad stats, you probably shouldn't do so. Instead, you should train already good stats. But it's all up to you.

Say you have a Weavile. Weavile has high Atk and Spd, but horrible Def. Sp. Def, and Sp. Atk. So what do you do? EV train it's Atk and Spd. You will be making it stronger this way, and it will be abled to outspeed and 1HKO a lot of things. The extra EV point(s) can go to HP. Of course, it may not do this if it has a bad Nature, bad IVs and horrible moveset.

FAQ

Q: Is EV training necessary?
A: No, it is not. You can beat the game and other trainers online without doing it. However, the Battle Tower/Frontier and Online battles will be much harder, especially if against those who have EV trained their teams.

Q: What are good Pkmn/Places to EV Train?
A: You can use Serebii.net or Bulbapedia and check certain Pkmn for what EVs they give.

Q: What are IVs? What are the Natures?
A: IVs....deserve a guide for themselves. If you need to know, go to Serebii.net, game mechanics, then in the drop-down list click Individual Values. Natures can also be found this way or by looking in Bulbapedia. Alternately, you can just use Serebii's IV calculator to see what your Pkmn's IVs are.

Q: There was something you missed.
A: There is? Go ahead and post it in the thread or PM me what I missed, I'll happily add it to the guide.
Vocaloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
ninjamom
Genin

ninjamom is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Pokemon Effort Values/EV Training Guide

What an excellent EV guide! Thanks so much for posting it!
ninjamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Vocaloid
Special Jonin Candidate

Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.Vocaloid completed an A-Rank mission and saved the forum yet again.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamom View Post
What an excellent EV guide! Thanks so much for posting it!
No problem.

I have a few Pokemon with the Pokerus, so if you want it, PM me and we can discuss what Pkmn you want it on (Like a Charmander or just a Starly), or if you need a better explanation, PM me as well.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
Kuroda Taishi
Banned

Kuroda Taishi is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

I am a little confused. Can I EV train a pokemon in two different stats at the same time?

Or can I ev Train them in 1 stat, and then in another stat?
Kuroda Taishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Vocaloid
Special Jonin Candidate

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroda Taishi View Post
I am a little confused. Can I EV train a pokemon in two different stats at the same time?

Or can I ev Train them in 1 stat, and then in another stat?
You can do 2, but probably best for 1 at a time, since if you don't get at least 4 EVs before the next lvl up, it will have been wasted. Though that shouldn't be a problem for extremely high-leveled Pkmn, just as long as they're to at lvl 100, which by then it's too late to EV train.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Kuroda Taishi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocaloid View Post
You can do 2, but probably best for 1 at a time, since if you don't get at least 4 EVs before the next lvl up, it will have been wasted. Though that shouldn't be a problem for extremely high-leveled Pkmn, just as long as they're to at lvl 100, which by then it's too late to EV train.
So I can max out thier Ev in one stat, and then do another stat?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
jayawsome12
Genin

jayawsome12 is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

what pokemon should i train on to get good def. stat of HP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayawsome12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Kuroda Taishi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayawsome12 View Post
what pokemon should i train on to get good def. stat of HP
I would go to serebii.net to figure that out.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
C. Hook
Genin Elite

C. Hook is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Good spots I've found include...

1. That guy with a team of all Magikarp (He's pretty much in every game). 6 speed EVs for each time you refight him with the vs seeker.

2. If you can't find him, there's always wild Zubats. In particular, Mount Moon in Fr/Lf had a lot of zubats at low levels. 1 speed EV each

3. For special attack, Pokemon Tower (Fr/Lf) or Old Chateau (D/P). Old Chateau is an especially good spot with Lf/Fr plugged into the GBA spot, since it spawns wild Gengars that give THREE special attack EVs.

I don't really play Pokemon all that much anymore, but it's still a fun game I've spent hours on.

Also, don't spend your time IV breeding if you want to keep ahold of your sanity.
C. Hook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
effort values, evs, guide, pokemon, training