Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Great Off-Topica > Off-Topic

Off-Topic For anything under the sun that won't fit elsewhere!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #41
Konoha'sGreenThunder
Wallflower

Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.Konoha'sGreenThunder finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.
Send a message via Skype™ to Konoha'sGreenThunder
Default Re: The Grammar Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItachiAnbu View Post
LOL

Nice.

I speak relatively coherent English. I can type relatively coherent English.

Most people can, though they choose not to. That's because "chat speak" is more fun, it's quicker, and it's just all-around easier. You can't just bust random people for using "chat speak". That's a terrible idea.

Typo's happen all the time, so what are you going to do about those? Say; "Hey, fix your post. Why? Because I have a badge, so when I say you're wrong, you're wrong."

That's bogus. I'd be interested to see just how badly this idea would fail when you try to go around enforcing good grammer.

BTW, the badge has a grammer error on it.
What's the mistake? Maybe I'm just slow and not catching anything of importance right now, but I see no real mistakes.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #42
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Super High School Level Narcissist
Quasi-Admin

Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via MSN to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Maikeru D. Shinigami

I agree, I get tired of people using all their text talk too. How much time is it going to take to type out an extra couple of letters? I'm not saying you have to be perfect but here like this:

You does not equal u.
Why does not equal y.
Are does not equal r.
Loser does not equal luzr, or any of those other "spellings". What loser really means "I suck Maikeru and you win!"
I'm fine with one = 1, but be careful when using it in your fanfics.
By the way, by the way does not equal btw.
Brb is okay, lol is okay. However, *[insert name here] is laughing out loud* is better.
Put space in between your words no one wants to read "Iamthesuperelitest"
Capitilize the first letter of the sentence.
Use a period if your sentence gets too long, commas are good too, just don't overuse them.

Let me demonstrate:

"omg! yru sch a n00b, btw i'm not a luzr" Correcting the statement.

"Oh my gosh! Why are you such a newbie? By the way, I don't suck Maikeru and you don't win"

And to translate that into complete English would be.

"Oh my gosh! Why are you so unintelligent? By the way, I'm sorry I do suck Maikeru and you win."

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
src="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Maikeru D. Shinigami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #43
Vex
Special Jonin Candidate

Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Vex is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

I use normal words when typing, I don't really think about using '1337 533|<' because I want people to understand me. When I read some of the posts on here, I sometimes can't read it but I'm not going to notify them that they spelled something wrong. Let alone recruiting a badge and acting like a Grammar Nazi.
No, thanks
:/

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #44
"Byaku-ingan"
Chunin Exam Participant

"Byaku-ingan" is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikeru Shinigami View Post
I agree, I get tired of people using all their text talk too. How much time is it going to take to type out an extra couple of letters? I'm not saying you have to be perfect but here like this:

You does not equal u.
Why does not equal y.
Are does not equal r.
Loser does not equal luzr, or any of those other "spellings". What loser really means "I suck Maikeru and you win!"
I'm fine with one = 1, but be careful when using it in your fanfics.
By the way, by the way does not equal btw.
Brb is okay, lol is okay. However, *[insert name here] is laughing out loud* is better.
Put space in between your words no one wants to read "Iamthesuperelitest"
Capitilize the first letter of the sentence.
Use a period if your sentence gets too long, commas are good too, just don't overuse them.

Let me demonstrate:

"omg! yru sch a n00b, btw i'm not a luzr" Correcting the statement.

"Oh my gosh! Why are you such a newbie? By the way, I don't suck Maikeru and you don't win"

And to translate that into complete English would be.

"Oh my gosh! Why are you so unintelligent? By the way, I'm sorry I do suck Maikeru and you win."

I found this relatively funny. I haven't even looked at this post since like the 1st or 2nd day I made it. I was just bored so sorry for all those people that thought I was gonna try to enforce this. If you had read all the posts in between my very first one on this thread and this one, then maybe you could see how I kinda made this as a joke. I use chat speak very commonly and I don't care about other people's spelling. As long as they get their point across, who am I to judge? When I said the idea of the "Grammar Police" still interests me, I was talking about whether or not someone would try and enforce something like that. Anyway, if anyone thought that I was majorly serious with this thread, once again, sorry to disappoint. Boredom does strange things to people........and I'm already strange enough as is. xD

- Kinda creepy

I adopted Hinata!!

<---The Rep button is that way
"Byaku-ingan" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #45
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Quasi-Admin

Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.
Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.Maikeru D. Shinigami is the subject of legends and tales that shall be passed on for generations to come.

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via MSN to Maikeru D. Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Maikeru D. Shinigami

Haha, I wasn't going to join up and start giving people infractions for bad grammar. I was just saying the obsessive use of bad grammar really annoys. By the way, I don't want to see some "text talk to English" translator as I do not care to now what they are.

YouTube:
src="
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #46
"Byaku-ingan"
Chunin Exam Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Byaku-ingan" View Post
By the way, this is a random thread that I made because I was bored. The idea of "The Grammar Police" still interests me though.
Quote:
Did anyone not read this? It interests me but I don't think it's even a remote possibility due to the fact that almost everyone uses 1337/chat speak every once in a while. I just thought it would be interesting if there were someone actually doing this.

Edit: Your comment sort of makes sense.....Sock?
The two posts above are what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I wonder how I even thought of this thread........idk, omg, i did it agains, crap, whyz!?
Random...

Quote:
Just so everyone knows this isn't real at all, ok? There isn't (and probably never will be) an actual "Grammar Police" on this site. It isn't recognized by the mods/admins/councilmen/whatever else as an actual "part of authority". If you read my very first post, it says that I made it because I was bored. Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade View Post
I shall join the Grammar Police,and please nine tailed fury,speak in English.
Grammar Police doesn't exist, I wouldn't want it too either. I probably make enough mistakes as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCaptor Sakura View Post
I use normal words when typing, I don't really think about using '1337 533|<' because I want people to understand me. When I read some of the posts on here, I sometimes can't read it but I'm not going to notify them that they spelled something wrong. Let alone recruiting a badge and acting like a Grammar Nazi.
No, thanks
:/
Don't think of it as "Grammar Nazi" but rather a.....idk, something.

Quote:
Haha, I wasn't going to join up and start giving people infractions for bad grammar. I was just saying the obsessive use of bad grammar really annoys. By the way, I don't want to see some "text talk to English" translator as I do not care to now what they are.
1.) I don't have infraction powers anyway.
2.) Bad grammar can be annoying, but get over it. (No offense intended)
3.) I think they actually have one of those converters somewhere.

- Kinda creepy

I adopted Hinata!!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #47
Maikeru D. Shinigami
Quasi-Admin

Awards Showcase

*Maikeru is laughing*

I think that's kind of dumb, but at the same time with the overwhelimg amount of text talk I can see where it might be necessary. Don't worry it does annoy me, but as long as I understand the message I won't say anything.

YouTube:
src="
Old 09-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #48
"Byaku-ingan"
Chunin Exam Participant

Quote:
*Maikeru is laughing*

I think that's kind of dumb, but at the same time with the overwhelimg amount of text talk I can see where it might be necessary. Don't worry it does annoy me, but as long as I understand the message I won't say anything.
Same here. If I don't understand a post, I'll ignore it. If I don't understand a thread.....then I'll leave it. xD Anyway, back to Youtube!! *throws cape over self and runs*

- Kinda creepy

I adopted Hinata!!

Old 09-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #49
ItachiAnbu
Special Jonin Candidate

ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.ItachiAnbu is far along on the distinguished path of a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konoha'sGreenThunder View Post
What's the mistake? Maybe I'm just slow and not catching anything of importance right now, but I see no real mistakes.
Oh, sorry, that was my bad.

I will admit I was incorrect there.

ItachiAnbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #50
darkdemonofthemist
A True Bro

Location: Times people on Omegle actually wanted to have a decent conversation: 2
darkdemonofthemist finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.darkdemonofthemist finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.darkdemonofthemist finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.darkdemonofthemist finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.darkdemonofthemist finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.darkdemonofthemist finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.darkdemonofthemist finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.darkdemonofthemist finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.darkdemonofthemist finished a high-profile B-Rank mission...and went unscathed.
Send a message via Skype™ to darkdemonofthemist

Oh yeah! This is awesome!

I can't understand text talk very well lol.
jenny,Memitim,Jonesy,deadtaka,Noctis,NinjaPink,Devroux,Luna Mikazuki,Miss Kitty,Wooster
Vatanui AKA Pride,Toma RNK,KGT,SS4 Gogeta,Looney-Lyra,Semog,Bacon,Pool,AgentShayd
Kitsune,Kiseki,Spartacus,Nick Tasogare,TBC,Shikamaru Nara,Lone_Espada,Maruko
Follow me on Twitter! @fishcantblink
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanicRobot
Your face cured my cancer.
darkdemonofthemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #51
Jarod Chidogashi
Chunin Exam Proctor

Jarod Chidogashi has completed a tough C-rank mission!Jarod Chidogashi has completed a tough C-rank mission!Jarod Chidogashi has completed a tough C-rank mission!

Dud3 u 1z just m4d t4ht u c4nt b l1k3 u5!
Jarod Chidogashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #52
Chidori of Death
Special Jonin Candidate

Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Send a message via AIM to Chidori of Death Send a message via Yahoo to Chidori of Death

Quote:
It's exactly what it sounds like. Whenever they find a person that is using 1337/chat speak or is making absolutely no sense, they give them some sort of "warning" or something. Of course, I think the only ones to be a part of these "officers" are the Admins, Councilmen, Beta Testers, and other people that can use relatively good grammar. By the way, this is a random thread that I made because I was bored. The idea of "The Grammar Police" still interests me though.

The Badge:

The Slogan:

Chidori of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #53
Chidori of Death
Special Jonin Candidate

Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.Chidori of Death has a spectacular chakra aura going on.
Send a message via AIM to Chidori of Death Send a message via Yahoo to Chidori of Death

I completely aggree Leet is ANNOYING

Chidori of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #54
"Byaku-ingan"
Chunin Exam Participant

Could everyone please stop posting in this thread? Go back and read ALL the posts starting from page 1 and keep going until you get to the end of this page. It would be so much easier if people used their ability to read. If I offended you in some way, I'm sorry.

- Kinda creepy

I adopted Hinata!!

Tags
1337/chat speak, good, grammar, pie, police