Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Discussion Forum
Who should win? Be sure to nominate who will reign supreme for this month's Member of the Month!

Go Back   Naruto Discussion Forum > The Cutting Edge > Debate Forum

Debate Forum Debate interesting non-Naruto topics. All forum rules apply.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 AM   #21
EdFry
Chunin

EdFry is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Default Re: Superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
ooo, ok thanks Nick
sounds like you pissed off a mad Reilly.

Treat the mods with respect, never mistreat an admin. Keep it clean, have some fun, treat others how you want to be treated.

Spoiler:
Have fun with life, it'll be gone before you know it and you only get one shot!
EdFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #22
Raiden
Special Jonin Candidate

Raiden just might be Kage someday.
Raiden just might be Kage someday.Raiden just might be Kage someday.Raiden just might be Kage someday.Raiden just might be Kage someday.Raiden just might be Kage someday.Raiden just might be Kage someday.Raiden just might be Kage someday.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFry View Post
lmao a New Superstition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What you lookin at? You all a bunch of bleep. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your bleep fingers and say, "That's the bad guy" So what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy!
Raiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #23
Nick Tasogare
Special Jonin Candidate

Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick Tasogare

Quote:
Huh? My name's Nick, I just thought maybe he'd like to know he was spelling it incorrectly. Wouldn't you wanna know if you were spelling something incorrectly?

Can Herr SRhyse and Frau Muffintop please remove my staff "powers"? The Mod Rules are a joke and everybody knows it lol I don't follow that last rule well enough, and I don't want to endanger the Communist Rule of the People's Republic of NDF. Thanks.

/Heil

Oh wait, now there's drama so I just have to watch this all blow up.
Nick Tasogare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 AM   #24
EdFry
Chunin

EdFry is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tasogare View Post
Huh? My name's Nick, I just thought maybe he'd like to know he was spelling it incorrectly. Wouldn't you wanna know if you were spelling something incorrectly?
No I know your name, I was talking about the person who down repped him for the misspelled word.

Maybe it was a pissed off Reilly, who really wasn't in the mood.

Treat the mods with respect, never mistreat an admin. Keep it clean, have some fun, treat others how you want to be treated.

Spoiler:
Have fun with life, it'll be gone before you know it and you only get one shot!
EdFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:16 AM   #25
Nick Tasogare
Special Jonin Candidate

Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.Nick Tasogare is one of the most respected ninja in  the village.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick Tasogare

Quote:
No I know your name, I was talking about the person who down repped him for the misspelled word.

Maybe it was a pissed off Reilly, who really wasn't in the mood.
Oooooooh xD

Can Herr SRhyse and Frau Muffintop please remove my staff "powers"? The Mod Rules are a joke and everybody knows it lol I don't follow that last rule well enough, and I don't want to endanger the Communist Rule of the People's Republic of NDF. Thanks.

/Heil

Oh wait, now there's drama so I just have to watch this all blow up.
Nick Tasogare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #26
CrimsonCatClan
Apprentice Genin

CrimsonCatClan is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point

There have been terrible stories of children held captive because there were believed to be possessed of evil spirits, and older women and younger children were, historically, often identified as witches or wizards and often blamed for misfortune, illness, infertility and natural catastrophes and brutally murdered. In Tanzania alone, at least 45 albinos have been murdered since 2007 because popular superstition holds that they are witches.

As I pull together some thoughts on this theme, I am wondering if there is an easy definition for the difference between religion and superstition? One that comes to mind in the African context is that beliefs that injure others are superstitions. (That would go for Christian beliefs, like those that would lead to witch hunts and the like in times past.)

What passes as superstition of course depends on where one falls on the spectrum of belief. The pope would view certain African traditions as superstitions, some Protestants view certain Catholic practices as superstitions, and non-believers will view any belief in things not seen as superstitions–even as they meditate on their daily horoscope.

Superstitions might also be, it seems to me, demonstrably wrong, whereas “true religion” cannot be disproved, because it makes (in its best manifestations) other, deeper claims to meaning rather than temporary consequence. Which reminds me, where did I put that darn rabbit’s foot keychain?
CrimsonCatClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #27
Sabra Kusabana
Veteran Chunin

Sabra Kusabana is just chillin' in the village doing D-ranks at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Sabra Kusabana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
see this is not very nice, now I'm not saying you have done this, but people who don't believe in religion always try to rub it in someone who does believe in it's face, it's Reilly not fair at all, I mean I see more people trying to Tell me God is not real and Jesus was not the son of god, and Reilly I'm sick of people trying to change my beliefs
I am not trying to change your beliefs, I am merely challengeing you to think. I believe in a faith that could be put under the same microscope of thought as any other, and I respect that others have different veiws. I just want to make people actively question what they believe instead of being good little sheep who swollow everything placed before them.

You can have your god or gods in whatever shape you want them to be, I just think that not enough people question what they're told. To take everything someone tells you as truth just because it's about religion would be stupid. Religion should be something that calls to your soul, your very being, and something you can have complete faith in. The fact you reacted so harshly shows your faith is not as strong as you wish it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackChidori View Post
*Stands under a ladder, opens an umbrella, and throws a mirror at a black cat*
*Snatches black cat out of the way and glares at TBC.* Do me the favor of giving a real answer, please. And could people stop limiting their concepts of superstition to what we have in American culture, you know there's thousands of tales out there that qualify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonCatClan View Post
There have been terrible stories of children held captive because there were believed to be possessed of evil spirits, and older women and younger children were, historically, often identified as witches or wizards and often blamed for misfortune, illness, infertility and natural catastrophes and brutally murdered. In Tanzania alone, at least 45 albinos have been murdered since 2007 because popular superstition holds that they are witches.

As I pull together some thoughts on this theme, I am wondering if there is an easy definition for the difference between religion and superstition? One that comes to mind in the African context is that beliefs that injure others are superstitions. (That would go for Christian beliefs, like those that would lead to witch hunts and the like in times past.)

What passes as superstition of course depends on where one falls on the spectrum of belief. The pope would view certain African traditions as superstitions, some Protestants view certain Catholic practices as superstitions, and non-believers will view any belief in things not seen as superstitions–even as they meditate on their daily horoscope.

Superstitions might also be, it seems to me, demonstrably wrong, whereas “true religion” cannot be disproved, because it makes (in its best manifestations) other, deeper claims to meaning rather than temporary consequence. Which reminds me, where did I put that darn rabbit’s foot keychain?
My dear sweet Crim, you never fail me. Can anyone here really challenge that one religion can look at another and call it anything other then a collection of superstitions? I don't deny that my own beliefs could be veiwed as such, or even as results of coencidence, thus I can find respect for other faiths.

There is no proof for the vast majority of things that most people just take as truth when it comes to either superstition or faith. There's tales from all over the world of things happening because someone did X and Y resulted, so therefore X must aways turn into Y instead of say Z. If I lost someone there, it's okay, I'm sure if I put that into a mathmatic or scientific form that Crim would run away screaming.

The point is that many religions can be called superstitions, and that is partly because they both run on the same principles. They are based on cause and effect senerios found within their context. If you do this thing then it will cause this reaction. That's what both say, and somethings their right, sometimes they're wrong. Still both are believed and acted upon by those that believe them as truth, in this they are the same thing.

The only true difference is that superstitions are often taken as singular and self-contained, while religions believe in multple things that lead to a grander result. It is not wrong or right to believe in either or both, or even to scrap the idea completely and not believe anything. I just want people who choose to believe to think about what they are doing when they make the choice, because if they don't think about it then they are just being puppets to what people have told them.

Last edited by Sabra Kusabana; 09-04-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Sabra Kusabana is offline   Reply With Quote