Naruto Discussion Forum

Naruto Discussion Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/index.php)
-   Naruto Manga Discussion (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Spoiler question for those started reading the manga (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/showthread.php?t=99676)

uzumaki_barrage 06-10-2011 05:01 AM

question for those started reading the manga

I'm about to cave... never really read manga, its not really my thing, but i can't wait for the anime to catch up, so many unanswered questions, huge events in motion etc

My question is this:

For those who started out only watching the anime, has reading the manga made the anime any less enjoyable?

I love the series and don't want to spoil my enjoyment of the anime.

Wooster 06-10-2011 05:43 AM

Re: question for those started reading the manga

It does make the anime less enjoyable, sadly it is true. Being surprised in the anime is much than surprises in the manga. But then again, reading seems to keep the story more coherent than watching the anime (especially with all those fillers).

I would hold out until the anime at least reaches the fillers again. If you can experience it the first time through anime, it really is better.

uzumaki_barrage 06-10-2011 05:54 AM

cool man, cheers, yeah all these flashback episodes and fillers do get annoying, might just rewatch some of the better arcs to fill the time.

Gouldy17 06-10-2011 06:09 AM

i started out watching the anime but im 1 of those people who just has to know what happens next ill say this...the manga is better for story but the anime is much better for the actual fighting

SilentBlade 06-10-2011 06:32 AM

I wouldn't say it detracts a lot. It is true that the surprise in the anime does go away when you read the manga, however its easier to really convey a situation with more elements (via the anime). Now, I do know what to expect typically now in the anime being caught up in the manga, but to see the scenes voice actors, music and brilliant animation i'd say its quite the other way around. The anime enhances the manga ( I suppose you could look at it that way).

JazzJunkie4 06-10-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzumaki_barrage (Post 5132470)
I'm about to cave... never really read manga, its not really my thing, but i can't wait for the anime to catch up, so many unanswered questions, huge events in motion etc

My question is this:

For those who started out only watching the anime, has reading the manga made the anime any less enjoyable?

yes, the anime is less enjoyable, but you will have a killer marathon if you decide to catch up on the manga because the manga is paced WAY faster than the anime.

Poodle 06-10-2011 11:51 AM

it does, but not as bad as i thought it would be. I still watch the anime because IMO the anime is better(much better fight scenes and much more emotion with the music), but i'm not as into the anime as i used to be(was obsessed practically) because i already know whats going to happen.

i've been there trying to hold out and it takes way too long for the anime's to come out with all the fillers. i didn't want to cave either, but i did and don't regret it that much. if anything i've sort of lost interest in Naruto from doing it which helped me deal with the jones i'd get for the next episode.

uzumaki_barrage 06-10-2011 12:41 PM

yeah seeing it from that perspective - looking forward to the anime for different reasons, (e.g seeing an exciting part of the manga animated- which would be far more involving with music, voices, great animation etc) seems good.

Still can't decide whether I'm going to do it though lol, as i do enjoy not knowing whats gonna happen...

clicking on the "town bookstore" section and seeing some of the thread titles just makes me want to start though, and as Jazzjunkie said there'll be plenty to read and more coming out fast.

cheers for the imput guys.

Revived Kakuzu 06-10-2011 01:34 PM

I wouldn't say so. By the time that the anime catches up to the manga, you've forgotten half of what happens. I guess it depends on the events. The only reason that I watch the anime is to see the fights, as they obviously look a lot better, and they add a lot more.

zerosameri 06-10-2011 04:50 PM

No and yes. You all ready know what is going to happened, but you get to hear there voice and there is more action to it.

EvL j3st3r 06-10-2011 05:45 PM

It takes away the surprise element...but I still find the anime very enjoyable. When I read something awsome in the manga, my reaction isn't, "well there goes the surprise for the anime.", it's more like, "wow, that is gonna be awsome to see in the anime!". So it actually builds some positive anticipation.

I recommend the manga to anyone. The discussions and debating are so much more in depth and interesting on this side of the field.

Hidan of the Mist 06-10-2011 05:54 PM

I think anime is better only because im too lazy to ever look at a book

Kakuzu 06-10-2011 05:55 PM

That's a great question...

To me, the manga actually has hindered the enjoyment of the anime, but only slightly. I love the manga because it is suspenseful and more artistic. The anime moves too slow with the fillers sometimes and in the English anime, the voice actors for the characters really annoy me. I find the Japanese voices more suiting for each character.

It might be the point that I started reading the anime as well. I didn't start reading the manga recently, but I can relate to the scenario. I started right when Danzo was fighting Sasuke, right about where we are in the anime right now, and as I kept reading on in the manga, I found it a whole lot more interesting, but I noticed that the manga is particularly difficult to follow at certain points due to the black/white images and page design.

PlatonicZombie 06-11-2011 04:02 PM

I started out watching the anime before going to the manga. I understand your concern, but to be honest I think reading ahead of the anime is worth it. You'll end-up being like us waiting, anticipating, and dancing around like kids that need to go pee waiting for the next chapter to come out. The anime remains enjoyable because fight scenes are enhanced (they're added on to and expanded) and fillers are like special little gifts that wont annoy you as much if you were just watching the anime. I say go for it!!!

deidara#1 06-11-2011 04:11 PM

I started reading the manga after the Pain Invasion, because I couldn't wait to get my questions answered. It does spoil some surprises but for me the fights aren't spoiled it's mostly the story that suffers when you already know what will happen.

Shikamaru Nara 06-11-2011 04:14 PM

I started, just like you, with watching the anime. I enjoyed seeing it all in motion, likely like you prefer. It's just more logical to want to see something move rather than having to infer, so in a way, it's kind of better than the manga.

Then I started to read the manga. I'd prefer the manga because it gets you further in the story faster, but the motion is much better in anime.

lukerules_96 06-11-2011 04:31 PM

It makes watching the anime harder for me becaus eI already know whats gonna happen and I dont like watching the filler stuff. I used to only watch the anime but now I only watch it if I want to see certain fights

deidara330 06-11-2011 05:15 PM

It depends. Storywise, you know what's gonna happen, and you've seen all of the jutsu, fights, and even deaths, so the climactic moments and intensity are scaled down. However, the anime sets things in motion, as others in this thread have said, and watching the animation flow through scenes while color and sound also fill it adds more effect to the story. The type of feeling you lose by knowing what happens next can be filled up by the fact that the anime adds things that enhance watching the story unfold. It also adds a side-benefit of making any unclear motions in the manga more distinct. It's a rare problem, but one that the anime generally fixes due to the movement involved.

I read the manga each week and watch the anime each week, as long as the anime isn't on a filler arc, and I still enjoy both.

medlnic15 06-11-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzumaki_barrage (Post 5132470)

My question is this:

yeah i just caught up on the manga my first time reading it, i have to say it makes the series less enjoyable. but, it does give some to you being able to watch out for some key reactions and things to help make the manga have more of a sense.

Jakropha 06-12-2011 04:17 AM

I started watching Part 1 on cartoon network, a wittle before the sasuke retrieval arc, I lovid it. Then, when they 'canceled' it, without annnnnnnny word on it (And Toonami too...) I went looking as hard as I could for more, and I discovered, right around the first 5 episodes, ANOTHER series had come up!

I was ecstatic, loved watching every episode up till I heard from a fangroup on xbox live told me that Kisame died (Was my favorite character)
I didnt believe them, and thought they were screwing with me.

So, I read the manga, alllllllll the way to the current date...

From that point on, a certain somebody who loved to know as much as everybody else, fell in love with the 'footnotes'. The manga.

Its all too true, you start trying to find out whats filler from, reality, animations seem more stupid, and you start expecting too much from episodes

Sasuke > Danzo fight from the start of the fight to when Sasuke and Naruto clash is around 4 chapters am I correct? And they are just no getting into the 5th or 6th episode...