Naruto Discussion Forum

Naruto Discussion Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/index.php)
-   Debate Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   The best type of president (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/showthread.php?t=97067)

Ur Mom 04-28-2011 04:54 AM

The best type of president
 
What do you think would make the qualities of a great president in general, and from what background would be best for them? I was thinking this morning about having an economist as president, I mean, a somewhat normal man can become a president, Reagan was a damn actor for instance


Spoiler:
Wooster for president

Skrall 04-28-2011 05:20 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
The best type of President would be someone capable of making decisions that would benefit his country in a positively way. Someone, above all, with strong leadership skills. A person who serves as a role model for his and other countries.

Spoiler:

http://iphonewallpaperclub.com/wp-co...r-Download.jpg

I don't see the purpose of this image but, I'd like to point out that this is a pretty cool pose.

Ur Mom 04-28-2011 07:16 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
:lol: Presidents trying to be modern

Bacon 04-28-2011 08:52 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
An honest person who knows their own limitations.

Jutsu Junkie 04-28-2011 10:15 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
Someone who is effective, educated, ethical, and is capable of seeing through subterfuge and irrational arguments with ease. He must be good at forming and guiding personal and business relationships and seeing the difference between the two. He also must understand when and why he should release the hounds -- and how to call them back.

Wooster 04-28-2011 10:25 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
Actually pretty irrelevant. The president is bent to the people's will. I do not subscribe to the "great man" theory.

I suppose atrocious president like Carter can happen, but that was because the entire political class has it's head up it's butt after Nixon.

Judious 04-28-2011 10:30 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
A black one

Cloukora 04-28-2011 11:16 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
Chuck Norris

but in seriousness, one who has good intentions and knows what he's doing, and at least TRIES to keep his promises he mentioned while running

Danielle 04-28-2011 11:43 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
The road to hell is paved in good intentions; I don't believe there has been a president who hasn't had 'good intents'. I also don't think you can make a perfect president, might as well try for a benevolent dictator. FDR was pretty good, though he is the reason presidents are now limited to only two four year terms. >.>

Ur Mom 04-28-2011 11:45 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 4987985)
Actually pretty irrelevant. The president is bent to the people's will. I do not subscribe to the "great man" theory.

I suppose atrocious president like Carter can happen, but that was because the entire political class has it's head up it's butt after Nixon.

"Atrocious" That's the first time I heard something negative in that way of Carter. Why?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle (Post 4988211)
The road to hell is paved in good intentions; I don't believe there has been a president who hasn't had 'good intents'. I also don't think you can make a perfect president, might as well try for a benevolent dictator. FDR was pretty good, though he is the reason presidents are now limited to only two four year terms. >.>

I don't know, I don't really count Franklin Peirce as a well intended president
Saying bush here would be too generic and lead to controversy depending on the people around

Danielle 04-28-2011 11:50 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
I meant merely that I don't believe any of them wished to kill America.

Wooster 04-28-2011 11:57 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ur Mom (Post 4988216)
"Atrocious" That's the first time I heard something negative in that way of Carter. Why?

You are kidding right? :lol:

Ur Mom 04-28-2011 12:51 PM

Re: The best type of president
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 4988274)
You are kidding right? :lol:

Well, I live in Georgia, the land of Undead, so yeah, that has something with it :lol:

Danielle 04-28-2011 01:04 PM

Re: The best type of president
 
Hm they must like Carter in Georgia then. o.o

Ur Mom 04-28-2011 01:14 PM

Re: The best type of president
 
/researched
So basically you say that because of his COMPLETE help to the 70's inflation right?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle (Post 4988442)
Hm they must like Carter in Georgia then. o.o

Carter was the Senate of Georgia for 2 terms and governor for 1, no duh :geek:

Jutsu Junkie 04-28-2011 09:59 PM

Re: The best type of president
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 4987985)
Actually pretty irrelevant. The president is bent to the people's will. I do not subscribe to the "great man" theory.

I suppose atrocious president like Carter can happen, but that was because the entire political class has it's head up it's butt after Nixon.

I completely disagree. First of all, if an "atrocious president" can happen, so can a great one. Second, you seem to discount the numerous examples of leaders making tough decisions and changing the world. Abraham Lincoln, for one. You can't tell me that the North was so happy to shed blood over people they considered subhumans; the only reason they went along is because they didn't need slave labor anymore. But they hated the idea of the war, in the main. He did it anyway, won, and changed the world. And anyway, even if they do bend to the will of the people more often than not (not necessarily a bad thing to begin with), there's doing so effectively and botching the job. The kind of person sitting in the Oval Office actually makes a difference.

puppetmasterpossession 04-28-2011 10:06 PM

Re: The best type of president
 
I think that the best president would be one that just kills all the bad guys by himself...Just has like super powers and goes and kills all the bad people....

Spoiler:
Wooster for President

Ino's Girl 04-28-2011 10:09 PM

Re: The best type of president
 
The best type is someone like Paris Hilton

Bacon 04-28-2011 10:15 PM

Re: The best type of president
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jutsu Junkie (Post 4990527)
I completely disagree. First of all, if an "atrocious president" can happen, so can a great one. Second, you seem to discount the numerous examples of leaders making tough decisions and changing the world. Abraham Lincoln, for one. You can't tell me that the North was so happy to shed blood over people they considered subhumans; the only reason they went along is because they didn't need slave labor anymore. But they hated the idea of the war, in the main. He did it anyway, won, and changed the world. And anyway, even if they do bend to the will of the people more often than not (not necessarily a bad thing to begin with), there's doing so effectively and botching the job. The kind of person sitting in the Oval Office actually makes a difference.

Being persuasive and being able to rally the support of people, is not the same thing as making decisions independently. The President is legally powerless without senate and Congressional approval in many instances, which include war and creating law. He changed the world because he was charismatic, something that any "competent" president should recognize. As for the people are concerned, you're forgetting the fact that not all of them are the same. People were growing more liberal, even if was at a snail's pace. Besides that, I was under the impression that the preserving the union was the chief concern.

Note:Competant doesn't mean good, because Hitler recognized this. :3

Jutsu Junkie 04-29-2011 12:48 AM

Re: The best type of president
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon (Post 4990574)
Being persuasive and being able to rally the support of people, is not the same thing as making decisions independently. The President is legally powerless without senate and Congressional approval in many instances, which include war and creating law. He changed the world because he was charismatic, something that any "competent" president should recognize. As for the people are concerned, you're forgetting the fact that not all of them are the same. People were growing more liberal, even if was at a snail's pace. Besides that, I was under the impression that the preserving the union was the chief concern.

Note:Competant doesn't mean good, because Hitler recognized this. :3

My point wasn't that the man was a dictator. I was responding to Wooster's notion that presidents only bend to the popular will, which isn't true. It's true that Lincoln's chief concern was the preservation of the Union, but the fact of the matter is that the war was over slavery. Without slavery, preserving the Union through force wouldn't have been necessary. Admittedly there were other issues (though they were all tied to slavery), but none of them were popularly thought to be causes for war at the time by most folks. Had there been a 24 hour news cycle back then, things may have turned out differently.

As far as making war, the president is the head of his party, and Lincolns Republicans controlled the Congress (because the representatives from the other party belonged to secessionist states). Also, federalism was central to their views, so he was never going to get much resistance from them. That doesn't make fighting the South popular, only circumstantially viable.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.