Naruto Discussion Forum

Naruto Discussion Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/index.php)
-   Forum Feedback & Issues (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Feedback: Grammar Rules (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/showthread.php?t=49799)

SageoftheSixPaths 03-14-2010 08:54 PM

Re: Grammar Rules

I agree, and then I take back my agreement, only so I can agree once more.

MysticGoten 03-14-2010 08:55 PM

Grammar Rules

I hate grammatical rape. It's a huge inconvenience for me.

Can there be a rule in the forum about grammar?
I go on this Dragon Ball forum and it says:
Spoiler:
RULE #1: GRAMMAR
You are typing on a message board. You want people to understand what you are saying. Be sure to use proper sentence structure when you write. Also, be sure you are adding in punctuation and spacing where appropriate. The first letter of every sentence is capitalized. Statements end with periods. Questions end with question marks. There is a space in between sentences. Please also put a paragraph break between thoughts. You don't want to look like a fool, and we do not want you to make us look like idiots for allowing you to post that way!
Outlandish disregard for typing properly is subject to being corrected in red by moderators. This is intended to give people a somewhat-snide little "heads-up" that they agreed to these rules and are expected to type properly. Not every little mistake will be corrected (especially those from our foreign, non-native-English-speaking visitors), but if you find yourself subject to these corrections, it may be time to re-evaluate your posting style (a.k.a. "Seriously... you're above the age of ten and live in suburban America; for goodness sake, use a period!").
We have even typed up a special, if you will, "Grammar Primer" that we encourage all present and new members to check out. Following this style-guide will certainly help you fit in around here... not to mention help your over-all writing! Also, we would greatly appreciate it if you would not post in any colors other than the default black. It just looks childish.
As an amusing addition, here is a special image we swiped from Penny Arcade; it should describe our feelings on the matter of Internet writing quite well...!

IT will also screw some people over because the war system demands well said grammar, and people will be very angry because I'm sure many missed that tidbit.

Anyone agree?

EDIT: Instead of a rule, how about a group of people managing English. Just a PM given, saying what was done incorrectly.

SageoftheSixPaths 03-14-2010 08:56 PM

I agree, and then I take back my agreement, simply so I can agree once more.

MysticGoten 03-14-2010 09:01 PM

What did you do?
You post is above mine.
And below...

Also, thank you.

SageoftheSixPaths 03-14-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticGoten (Post 2661081)
What did you do?
You post is above mine.
And below...

Also, thank you.

O_o

I have no idea how I did that. It's either a forum error, I finally got that godship position I was applying for, or I'm a mod so secret even I didn't know it.

Also, I can't delete it. xD

MysticGoten 03-14-2010 09:04 PM

It also says you posted before me....weird.

Anyway, I hope more people agree.

zerosameri 03-14-2010 09:16 PM

I don't agree with this one bit. Because then every person who makes a mistake will get in trouble? How stupid is that. I for one will probably be the one getting the most down reps or infractions if this goes. Hell if this does go threw I could get band. :|

It's a forum everyone makes mistakes. There are many age groups on here; everyone is on a different level of Grammar. So basically it will screw everyone over even the modes.

This is stupid rule. Because I guarantee you I can find 7 posts from every user on here that has made a grammar mistake.

And that means everyone will get in trouble and there would be no one on this forum but maybe 2 people and the modes. Less people will sing up and this site will slowly die to nothing

And then that thread that it was a research for a collage that found out humans can read the word only if the 1st and last letter is in the right place like so:

Tehreofer Polepe Wlil be sewrd

And most member's will just quit this forum because they won't put up with a stupid rule like that

Plus even if you spell check, there will still be mistakes

Toma RNK 03-14-2010 09:23 PM

Here is how this would play out.

No one would read it, and our demographic fails at grammar.

Because it is a rule FAIL infracts like crazy. People call them nazi's, everyone gets upset, our dumber users start puffing their chests out and act like cavemen, more infracting, we lose some members, everyone hates fail, fail members are ridiculed and quit.

That is how this would play out.
No I will not try to enforce grammar on the internet, there is more dumb than I can handle.

Don't pick fights you cannot have a hope of winning.

SageoftheSixPaths 03-14-2010 09:25 PM

Dreams+Crushed+Common Sense=Toma RNK

MysticGoten 03-14-2010 09:25 PM

Well, maybe try to approach it a different way then just creating a thread.
IF there was a way to PM it too everyone, that would be great.

Mistakes such as grammar or grammer would be fine.
But purposely wouldn't be accepted.
"2nite" "U" "@ where?"

Spartacus 03-14-2010 09:26 PM

Ya cuz u wood half guyz lik me doing tose errers on poporse.

Toma RNK 03-14-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticGoten (Post 2661257)
Well, maybe try to approach it a different way then just creating a thread.
IF there was a way to PM it too everyone, that would be great.

Mistakes such as grammar or grammer would be fine.
But purposely wouldn't be accepted.
"2nite" "U" "@ where?"

IF I sent a PM to everyone on the forums saying "you cannot type this way" without listing 40 pages of what IS NOT OK nothing would sink in or be accomplished.

If I DID write out 40 pages people would go "dats lots o words! 2 many 2 read!" and again nothing would be accomplished.

In either event I would get between 200 and 1000 pm's complaining.

This is not a battle I will fight.

You go PM everyone who makes a grammatical error and see how it goes for ya.

MysticGoten 03-14-2010 09:30 PM

Well, couldn't it apply to the new users?

While reading the rules, they could notice it.

Toma RNK 03-14-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticGoten (Post 2661282)
Well, couldn't it apply to the new users?

While reading the rules, they could notice it.

2 issues

1: That would mean certain users are excluded, and others need to follow the rule. This is not ok.

2: HAHAHAHAHA!! You actually think people read or care about the rules? Seriously? Only enforcement of the rules makes those rules known.

2-7 people are infracted for illegal content a day, and almost every last one of them tells me how they did not know, and that it is a retarded rule.

MysticGoten 03-14-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toma RNK (Post 2661296)
2 issues

1: That would mean certain users are excluded, and others need to follow the rule. This is not ok.

2: HAHAHAHAHA!! You actually think people read or care about the rules? Seriously? Only enforcement of the rules makes those rules known.

2-7 people are infracted for illegal content a day, and almost every last one of them tells me how they did not know, and that it is a retarded rule.

1. True. Well, it could still at least be attempted to do what I said earlier. Have a different group...like F.A.I.L. but for grammar. So if they see someone using grammar incorrectly, they get a pm, warning.
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=1179
2. I spent ten minutes doing that for nothing?!

Maikeru D. Shinigami 03-14-2010 09:36 PM

This would just be a waste of time. I don't like bad grammar either, but no one would care. Hell, no one would even read it.

Spartacus 03-14-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticGoten (Post 2661313)
1. True. Well, it could still at least be attempted to do what I said earlier. Have a different group...like F.A.I.L. but for grammar. So if they see someone using grammar incorrectly, they get a pm, warning.
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=1179
2. I spent ten minutes doing that for nothing?!

If that grammer rule was inforced I would leave the forum. Why should I have to spell things right? Not everybody knows English and not everyone is as good at spelling as other people and to say LEARN ENGLISH OR GET BANNED FROM THE FORUM is not a good rule in my opinion.

SageoftheSixPaths 03-14-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus (Post 2661336)
If that grammer rule was inforced I would leave the forum. Why should I have to spell things right? Not everybody knows English and not everyone is as good at spelling as other people and to say LEARN ENGLISH OR GET BANNED FROM THE FORUM is not a good rule in my opinion.

How about "Learn Latin or get banned from the Forum"?

Toma RNK 03-14-2010 09:41 PM

I am seriously astonished that you want us to fundamentally change the board so much.

Hire a squad of grammar Nazis to pick on the uneducated masses, on a corporate run website.

This isn't a niche market website only looking for highly productive members. This is a universal entry level naruto site that expects NOTHING of it's average member. The point is to make naruto fun and promote vizs fan aware image, not to be an authority of purest quality.

This idea will only anger a majority of our users and overtask the "grammar nazi" task force pissing everyone off.

I love being able to read posts, I hate txt tlk, but I seriously cannot believe this proposal.

MysticGoten 03-14-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toma RNK (Post 2661346)
I am seriously astonished that you want us to fundamentally change the board so much.

Hire a squad of grammar Nazis to pick on the uneducated masses, on a corporate run website.

This isn't a niche market website only looking for highly productive members. This is a universal entry level naruto site that expects NOTHING of it's average member. The point is to make naruto fun and promote vizs fan aware image, not to be an authority of purest quality.

This idea will only anger a majority of our users and overtask the "grammar nazi" task force pissing everyone off.

I love being able to read posts, I hate txt tlk, but I seriously cannot believe this proposal.

Light Yagami also did, from a certain point of view, and almost achieved that.

Well still it's just basic knowledge. Using English should be automatically enforced everywhere, not just on the internet!! Not using it correctly is ridiculous. It makes you look stupid. It makes it harder to read for others, and it's pretty embarrassing for you when someone asks what you just said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus (Post 2661336)

It makes you look stupid. Being able to know English is elementary...and to not use it how you were told to is ridiculous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maikeru Shinigami (Post 2661324)
This would just be a waste of time. I don't like bad grammar either, but no one would care. Hell, no one would even read it.

That's why rules are enforced.