Naruto Discussion Forum

Naruto Discussion Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/index.php)
-   Omniverse (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Singleverse: Samurai vs Gladiator (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/showthread.php?t=128674)

Ninja of Cao 03-26-2013 06:37 PM

Samurai vs Gladiator

Two masters of single combat from entirely different regions and cultures; a Japanese warrior bound by honor who considers killing to be a respected art, and a brutal warrior from the Roman Empire who fought for the amusement of the people. Who would win in a duel to the death?

Preparation: 5 minutes
Knowledge: None
Starting distance: 15 m

Statistics Samurai Gladiator
Years active: 905-1877 264 BC-380 AD
Mounted: Yes No
Armor: Do-maru None
Shield: None Wooden shield
Close range: Katana Sica
Mid range: Naginata Trident & net
Long range: Yumi Sling

My own conclusion:
Spoiler:
The Gladiator is only protected by a wooden shield and a helmet, while the samurai covers his entire body in steel. The Katana is a faster and more powerful weapon than the Sica, the Naginata is quicker than the Trident and the Yumi is far superior to the Sling in terms of power, range, accuracy and killing potential. Not only that, but the Samurai is mounted and utilizes superior steel compared to the Gladiator's bronze and copper. Obviously the Asian duelists defeat their western counterparts quite easily.
Final conclusion: Samurai wins

Raiden 03-26-2013 06:43 PM

Re: Samurai vs Gladiator

Spite thread, and you could have used a Ninja or unarmored Samurai.

Mekuto 03-26-2013 06:48 PM

Not even really a competition, Gladiators were showmen not warriors, if a gladiator died the man host the event had to pay for his life, gladiator had a diet high in parsley and beans meant to create a layer of fat that would get sliced and bleed, but not be fatal.

Of course there were times when they killed each other, and the certainly always fought their best, but fact is they were valuable and they knew it.

The Samurai wins with every possible advantage. i mean they have a thousand years on the gladiators technology wise.

e710 03-26-2013 06:54 PM

If this is a Gladiator from Spartacus they smash the Samurai's face in.:lol:
But honestly Gladiators are slaves that are put into a death match for entertainment while Samurai are warriors who know how to fight and are trained to kill.

Devils Lawyer 03-26-2013 07:15 PM

Spartacus was real and he really did shake rome before he died with said slaves. Not saying the galdiators win though with their equipment they would.

Ninja of Cao 03-27-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden (Post 6598299)
Spite thread, and you could have used a Ninja or unarmored Samurai.

Well, four warriors I considered for comparison were Samurai, Gladiator, Rajput and Carolean. Perhaps the Gladiator should have faced the Rajput instead? But I still believe that the result would have been defeat anyway... and comparing a Gladiator to a Carolean is just mean :roll:

Raiden 03-27-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja of Cao (Post 6599474)
Well, four warriors I considered for comparison were Samurai, Gladiator, Rajput and Carolean. Perhaps the Gladiator should have faced the Rajput instead? But I still believe that the result would have been defeat anyway... and comparing a Gladiator to a Carolean is just mean :roll:

I don't know what's with the rolling eyes but you act like Samurai only fight with armor on, and a Ninja only wears light or no armor at all, like a Gladiator, you could have also just used a Roman Centurion to even out the armor.

Ninja of Cao 03-27-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden (Post 6599551)
I don't know what's with the rolling eyes but you act like Samurai only fight with armor on, and a Ninja only wears light or no armor at all, like a Gladiator, you could have also just used a Roman Centurion to even out the armor.

The rolling eyes was because I actually mentioned comparing an ancient pit fighter to the world's most effective soldiers in the 18th century.

Well, the Roman soldier vs the Roman duelist would be an interesting battle now when I think of it... thanks for the idea `:))

Maruko 03-27-2013 07:50 AM

Samurai wouldn't even look at the dirty slave. He'd one shot him.

Raiden 03-27-2013 07:54 AM

lol Oh, I know who the Carolean's were, and I meant Samurai vs Roman Military, but your idea is pretty cool, what are you views on Spartans? Do think of them as the brutes everyone claims them to be compared to the Athenian's or were the Spartans the ones who held the best city?

Ninja of Cao 03-27-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden (Post 6599564)
lol Oh, I know who the Carolean's were, and I meant Samurai vs Roman Military, but your idea is pretty cool, what are you views on Spartans? Do think of them as the brutes everyone claims them to be compared to the Athenian's or were the Spartans the ones who held the best city?

Well, Samurai vs Centurion would also be an interesting match-up. I'll work on them both `:))

I think of Spartans as a powerful force in the ancient era, but I don't like how people always think of them as invincible super soldiers. They are just as human as any other warrior, and I doubt that they would stand a chance if faced with medieval steel warfare such as Knights, Samurai or Rajputs.

Raiden 03-27-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja of Cao (Post 6599566)
Well, Samurai vs Centurion would also be an interesting match-up. I'll work on them both `:))

I think of Spartans as a powerful force in the ancient era, but I don't like how people always think of them as invincible super soldiers. They are just as human as any other warrior, and I doubt that they would stand a chance if faced with medieval steel warfare such as Knights, Samurai or Rajputs.

Agreed (the only saving grace being there over sized shields), but I meant, who was the better city in the ancient era, Sparta or Athens in your opinion?

Ninja of Cao 03-27-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden (Post 6599571)
Agreed (the only saving grace being there over sized shields), but I meant, who was the better city in the ancient era, Sparta or Athens in your opinion?

If "better" refers to society, then Athens was a far more democratic society of civil liberty, although women's rights were better in Sparta. Sparta had the better army while Athens had the better navy, but to be honest I don't care much for Greek history other than the conquests of Alexander the Great (one of the historical military leaders I admire the most).

Raiden 03-27-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja of Cao (Post 6599576)
If "better" refers to society, then Athens was a far more democratic society of civil liberty, although women's rights were better in Sparta. Sparta had the better army while Athens had the better navy, but to be honest I don't care much for Greek history other than the conquests of Alexander the Great (one of the historical military leaders I admire the most).

Good good, personally I don't respect Alexander him self but I do respect what he did in the field of battle.

Ninja of Cao 03-27-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden (Post 6599594)
Good good, personally I don't respect Alexander him self but I do respect what he did in the field of battle.

Why do you not respect him as a person?

Raiden 03-27-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja of Cao (Post 6599611)
Why do you not respect him as a person?

He killed Elephants `:( They were only scared.

Selena777 03-28-2013 07:42 PM

Steel warrior vs naked slave? Come on, that's not even funny...

Raiden 03-28-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selena777 (Post 6603755)
Steel warrior vs naked slave? Come on, that's not even funny...

Ninja's were peasant farmers and they roll all over the floor stump samurai, what makes you think the WWE slave with swords and shields won't do the same?

e710 03-28-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden (Post 6603761)
Ninja's were peasant farmers and they roll all over the floor stump samurai, what makes you think the WWE slave with swords and shields won't do the same?

Ninja's did not even come close to rolling over the samurai.:mrgreen: They were slaves meaning they weren't feed properly meaning there was now way they were as big as WWE stars.

Raiden 03-28-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e710 (Post 6603789)
Ninja's did not even come close to rolling over the samurai.:mrgreen: They were slaves meaning they weren't feed properly meaning there was now way they were as big as WWE stars.

Your letting hype get in the way, Ninja were known to kill Samurai in a 3 on 1 situations, Ninja's had tools backing them up, all the Gladiator would need to do is throw a net, or bum rush with his shield covering his front, knocking the Japanese turtle on his back, or having him fall into a pit, where the Lions will fest on fish.