Naruto Discussion Forum

Naruto Discussion Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/index.php)
-   Debate Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Global Warming: Science or pollution? (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/showthread.php?t=125710)

Shikamaru Nara 01-24-2013 01:25 PM

Global Warming: Science or pollution?

Pollution is part of science, but I'm talking about the other scientific reasons for global warming.

I personally think global warming has nothing to do with pollution.
Then again, I don't think it's a myth.

Just like how Pangaea shifted apart, we already know that tectonic plates shift. I can't explain how North America (it's shifting west) is getting warmer, maybe it is pollution, but I know that places like Australia are shifting towards the equator, which would explain it.

So what's your theory?

WishfulFairie 01-24-2013 03:26 PM

Re: Global Warming: Science or pollution?

*que that taco girl*
por que no los dos?

True, there was natural global warming before because we're not living in the ice age. But pollution could be speeding up the process. I mean, if the ozone layer has a hole what's stopping the uv rays of the sun from heating us up?

CoolerThanIce 01-24-2013 03:39 PM

Pollution and global warming go hand in hand. Let me explain:

Let's say that we have an oil slick. Oil tends to spread extremely fast on water, thus covering a large area. This is how it could go:

-It could oxidise somehow, including burning, which would produce CO2 and toxic pollutants.This would contribute to increased total greenhouse gases, and thus to climate change. Note that some of the pollutants wouldn't affect the climate since not all of them would be greenhouse gases (although they could still affect the climate through killing plants and animals, which would release methane if they rot).

-Some of the lighter molecules (like CFCs and HCFCs) would evaporate. Some of these greenhouse gases are extremely potent, we're talking like having a hundred more warming potential (but since they're less common, especially since they've been banned in a lot of countries, they're less worrying).

-The oil coud get eaten or absorbed by birds or fish for example. If these die and rot in the open air, they would eventually release methane.

Also, the more pollution (even some deoderants and sprays that contain CFCs can contribute to pollution), the faster the ozone layer decades (and as you probably already know, the ozone layer protects the earth from harmful UV-rays). As a result, more and more heat would enter the atmospere, which would cause massive problems.

But you're also right about that the closer you get to the equator, the hotter it gets. But that's not the only reason why the temperature keeps rising. The temperature increases in countries that are located far away from the equator as well. How would you explain this? Global Warming+Pollution.

These are only a couple of examples why global warming and pollution are linked.

But, I could've misinterpreted your question. Maybe you're saying that global warming isn't dangerous and doesn't affect our earth? (although I would be shocked if that's the case).

I mean, surely you must've read about the Green house effect? Right?

Bacon 01-24-2013 04:20 PM

It's a theory shula, not a reality.

Shikamaru Nara 01-24-2013 05:57 PM

The world is actually getting warmer and it's because of tectonics.

Bacon 01-24-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara (Post 6450791)
The world is actually getting warmer and it's because of tectonics.

Tectonics(I'm assuming volcanoes and eruptions) and burning fossil have one thing in common, they release gases into the air which would not have been there otherwise. These gases trap more sunlight within our ozone like an invisible layer of insulation and cause the overall temperature to rise.

Although I think the reason you discount burning fossil fuel is because you don't realize how much america burns alone.

NINE-TAILS-BIJU 01-24-2013 06:51 PM

well both tectonics and pollution have to involve w/ global warming. the plates are still moving and cars keep making C02, and in large quantities. too much C02 is causing the world to absorb too much heat and not letting it out. before it was at a good level but it's getting too high

Naruto Namikazi 01-24-2013 06:56 PM

Its Both... Pollution because of our Ozone layer being in a pretty bad condition and thats common knowledge...
Science because its actually happening (too long to explain the scientific reasons)

Shisko Shi 01-24-2013 07:01 PM

Well to start off, CO2 does help creat heat. Look at the 2 planets closer to the sun. The one closer is actully cooler then the second because it is full of CO2.

Global Warrming is true. The wourls warming up is one of the effect it had is why Sandy went up so high to NY. Heat increase how far the hurican actully went. The ice is melting and he need them because they redirect the heat. Example the white blocks black accepts heat thing. They have found thinks like soot and ice being black which increases the heat melting the ice and makingless heat to be shot back.

You can not say that we do not have to much CO2, Fire season is actully longer now! It last one more month and begins one month berfoe. We are rising in Celeses slowly by one. And I will tell you if it changes to go up by 6 C then that is actully a big impact.

there is alot I could say but there is so much. I mean they got movies that explain this. Watch Carbon Nation on youtube.

Euron 01-24-2013 07:01 PM

This is a rant coming from an engineer. So trust me!

What you have to realize is that the term "Global Warming" is incomplete. It refers to the situation we have now that the average temperature is rising worldwide.
Now, the word you really want to discuss here is "Climate Change". More extreme weather (means colder winters), more frequent and severe storm systems are all attributes of the climate changes.

It IS a scientific fact that the climate is changing, and the gathering of some of the brightest scientists in the world concluded that it was over 90% likely that human activity was the main cause of the changes. You can read the actual report here: http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_...r/en/main.html
The greenhouse effect is very real, and the scientific community is in agreement that humans are the cause. You will find that no scientific body of national or international standing (aka, the scientists you can trust, who haven't been paid off to show a certain result) have ever denied that the main cause of the climate changes is human activity.

Make no mistake, the effect are cumulative and self-sustaining. Even if we stop all pollution now (somehow), we're still going to have a problem with CO2 emissions. Many scientists argue (partially) correctly that it's already out of our hands with our current technology.

Non-human activity is said to be a contributor, but is far from the main cause. The claim that tectonics is causing the global warming over human activity is equivalent to saying that it wasn't you smoking for 10 years that caused your lung cancer, but all the preservatives you ate.

Shisko Shi 01-24-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WishfulFairie (Post 6450409)
*que that taco girl*
por que no los dos?

True, there was natural global warming before because we're not living in the ice age. But pollution could be speeding up the process. I mean, if the ozone layer has a hole what's stopping the uv rays of the sun from heating us up?

Actully the Ozone with a hole hs to do with the UAV not so much heat being traped in as much with the planet heating up.

Sorry to post twice.

Wooster 01-24-2013 07:20 PM

If the ozone layer was destroyed there would be less warmer. As would adding more soot to the air.

But those affects are much less than previously though, meaning the last 16-years of absolutely no statistical warming means increasing CO2 is no longer correlated to global warming, meaning doing nothing will keep the global temperature below 2 degrees(the apparent requirement of carbon schemes), meaning this is only another leftist political football.

There actual very few climatologist world wide. Who don't agree at all by the way, whether on cause, degree or solutions. While there are many scientist in unrelated fields that hype global warming for their pet causes, mainly to get grant money, they only base there reasons on the assumptions of the few.
For example, the UN climate report may have 120 scientists or so, that is only on using that many results and nearly 30% of even those don't agree with the the reports conclusions.

Anywho, this will be in the next UN report. I imagine global warming will go the way of the other un-scientific faux causes of acid rain and population bomb in five to ten years.

Vornmusion 01-24-2013 08:25 PM

It's been getting hotter because I was born. Fact.

Wooster 01-24-2013 08:26 PM

I withdraw my previous post. P:<

CoolerThanIce 01-25-2013 03:51 AM

Eh...wait. Why are you all telling him about what CO2 can do to the temperature? Wow, I must've really misinterpreted his question.

The Green house effect:
Greenhouse gases (such as CO2, methane and water vapor) prevent parts of the sun's radiant heat from leaving the earth, thus giving heat to our planet. These gases are essential for life on earth (if we didn't have them, the average temperature would be like -18 celsius and we would freeze to death). But too much is harmful, and makes the temperature rise unnecessarily.

Ever since the Industrial Revolution, the use of fossil fuels has increased markedly. USA is the biggest consumer of oil and gasoline in the world(China comes next). Oil lets out CO2 when it's used (as you already know), and since the use of vehicles (cars, busses, air planes, motorcycles et cetera) has increased massively lately (people travel more than they did before, use their car everywhere they go et cetera), it's no freaking wonder that the temperature is rising!

The temperature isn't increasing merely because of the tectonic plates!-.-

Heat makes water expand and melts glaciers. The earth will end up being
located under water if we continue consuming fuel fossils at this rate.
It's already begun happening in the Cook Islands.

Just think about the countries who's average temperatures are already high. A higher temperature would lead to poor harvest, and in the long term, to poverty and famine.

If you cut down a lot of trees, like in the rainforest (some companies have begun doing this lately to cultivate other products:roll: Just think about all the animals that depend on that forest!) a large amount of CO2 and water vapor will be released in the air (plants contain CO2 and water vapor as a result of their photosynthesis) which would cause way too much green house gases to be released in the air, thus making the temperature rise.

It amazes me that some people still think that it's just a theory.

Souret 01-25-2013 07:55 AM

Climate change in itself is a natural and continuous process, we are currently experiencing the global warming side of climate change at a much faster rate than previously, we can find this from ice cores in the arctic. The temperature has risen by 3 or 4 degrees celsius in the arctic and 1 to 2 accros the rest of the globe.

The global warming we are currently witnessing is at the highest rate due to many contributing factors, pollution is just one of thes, the greenhouse gasses releaed from the carbon stores in trees during deforrestaion and these do trap lead to more readiation from the sun become trapped in the Earths atmosphere and after this the temperature will continue to rise.

Also the fact that we are loosing sea ice in the arctic is causing more of the sea to show, the dark colour of the sea absorbs the suns rays rather than reflecting them lice the ice/snow would have in the past, because of the the surface of the Earth is becoming hatter, this heat will then in turn increase the melting of sea ice continueing the cycle.

You cannot rule out the contribution made by polution as we never would have lost this amount of sea ice had it not been for the unpresidented amounts of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere.

BMC1994 01-25-2013 08:08 AM

Dont really have a theory.

Its pretty much out there the earths heating up (although depending from when to when you measure you might find that the earth is not heating up) and releasing all kinds of gasses into the air certainly isnt helping against it.

That doesnt prevent scientists and lobbyists to spew all kidns of **** to get money out of it.

Souret 01-25-2013 08:15 AM

@BMC on a global scale the average temperature is rising we just get more extreme weather all round which includes colder winters

***V*** 01-25-2013 10:01 AM

Everything living on Earth contains carbon. Carbon causes the atmosphere to heat up, and there being more people, that can cause Global Warming to happen. Along with trees being cut down which reduces the amount of carbon being obsorbed by them.

BMC1994 01-25-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souret (Post 6451474)
@BMC on a global scale the average temperature is rising we just get more extreme weather all round which includes colder winters

I know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***V*** (Post 6451586)
Everything living on Earth contains carbon. Carbon causes the atmosphere to heat up, and there being more people, that can cause Global Warming to happen. Along with trees being cut down which reduces the amount of carbon being obsorbed by them.

*Carbondioxide