Naruto Discussion Forum

Naruto Discussion Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/index.php)
-   Debate Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Should Sex-Selected Abortion Be Allowed? (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/showthread.php?t=121069)

Wooster 10-04-2012 06:01 PM

Should Sex-Selected Abortion Be Allowed?

It's all the rage in China and Indian and among recent American immigrants. Girls just aren't worth as much as boys.

A pro position:
http://qz.com/11664/why-indian-paren...to-have-girls/

joon 10-04-2012 06:03 PM

Re: Should Sex-Selected Abortion Be Allowed?

Everyone is equal.
Why can't people get that through their heads?

Wooster 10-04-2012 06:04 PM

But it's a "parental right" `:P

joon 10-04-2012 06:07 PM

No.......just no.........................XD

WishfulFairie 10-04-2012 06:07 PM

I don't know what to say really......

Bacon 10-04-2012 06:07 PM

This is one of the consequences of allowing people to have abortions. I'm not saying abortions are wrong since there are many a reason for doing so,but this sort of twisted logic devalues the lives of woman. Even still, it's part of the "It's my body and I can choose what to do with it argument". If abortion is legal, then parents should have the right to know the gender of their child, even if the reason is pretty cold.

Wooster 10-04-2012 06:10 PM

Only reasoned argument I see here is Bacon's. Which boils down to "this is the consequence of legalized abortion."

Can you be for abortion on demand and against sex-selected abortion? If yes, explain.

WishfulFairie 10-04-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 6286086)
Only reasoned argument I see here is Bacon's. Which boils down to "this is the consequence of legalized abortion."

Can you be for abortion on demand and against sex-selected abortion? If yes, explain.

Well, yes.
You can be for abortion on the grounds of rape and incest. Also if the woman's life is at risk. If that's the demand.
SO....getting an abortion because of the baby's gender is a whole new different thing

(if i misinterpreted that question than i apologize)

Wooster 10-04-2012 06:14 PM

That's not abortion on demand.

You can get an abortion because you just don't want to be pregnant. How is that different from just not wanting a girl?

WishfulFairie 10-04-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 6286095)
That's not abortion on demand.

You can get an abortion because you just don't want to be pregnant. How is that different from just not wanting a girl?

Because the first could come as a surprise. You were never planning on having a child. The latter is because you were expecting a child.

Wooster 10-04-2012 06:16 PM

What if you were expecting a boy? Surprise!

In other words, a distinction without a difference. Is it not a women's right to choose? `:P

WishfulFairie 10-04-2012 06:17 PM

No one is expecting anything but a baby til they realize the sex. They want a boy but they aren't expecting anything

Wooster 10-04-2012 06:20 PM

So? You have sex, you may get pregnant. You get pregnant you may have a girl.

How is deciding to end either any different?

WishfulFairie 10-04-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 6286115)
So? You have sex, you may get pregnant. You get pregnant you may have a girl.

How is deciding to end either any different?

one was planning to have a child and got upset because they didn't get a crowned prince

then there's one who didn't plan on having any babies at all

Wooster 10-04-2012 06:24 PM

Again a distinction without a difference.

How are they morally different?

WishfulFairie 10-04-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 6286126)
Again a distinction without a difference.

How are they morally different?

(because a majority of the moral problems of abortion is whether the fetus is living or not, I'm going to say life. Also because it has a heart beat)

I guess because when one is getting an abortion based on gender they're giving someone life and then taking it away all because that one tiny being didn't reach it's expectations. For example; if my dad decided to throw me out onto the street all because I wasn't his ideal daughter.

Why am I even debating this?! I never even wanted to debate this! Darn you Wooster for sucking me in. Darn you Bacon for not answering Wooster.

Wooster 10-04-2012 06:34 PM

So abortion should only be for rape incest and other extreme conditions?

Same could be said for just not wanting to be pregnant. You are giving life and taking it away because you don't want to pay for her upbringing or you don't want to be embarrassed or you don't want have to lug that baby around for nine months.

Are these better reason than you want a child that can take care of you in old age? Remember, the girl will take care of her inlaws not you.

Bacon 10-04-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 6286086)

In some senses you can be for abortion on demand and sex-selected abortion because there are countless reasons for wanting an abortion, and the reasons for wanting a boy over a girl are really inhumane. It's an ethical line similar to the death penalty. We're gonna kill this sick bastard,but it has to be done quickly and painlessly. Lot of times the people arguing this mentality are the very same people who support the implementation of the death penalty. It's just the aspect of pain and suffering is against their values. By that same token, one can argue for abortion and still be ethically against sex-selected abortion.

If you logically think about it, then the answer is no. How can you trust someone's word when they give an accepted reason such as not being able to care for the child due to money,but in reality they're aborting it because they lost a bet. Yes it sounds harsh, but there's no way to enforce a law which says abortion is legal for the following reasons,but it's not allowed for these.

Wooster 10-04-2012 06:38 PM

Should there be laws that prevent parents from knowing the gender then? Or that once you know the gender you can't get an abortion??

WishfulFairie 10-04-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 6286156)
So abortion should only be for rape incest and other extreme conditions?

:roll: Wooster this debate is focusing on sex-selected abortion not abortion in general

Same could be said for just not wanting to be pregnant. You are giving life and taking it away because you don't want to pay for her upbringing or you don't want to be embarrassed or you don't want have to lug that baby around for nine months.
Or maybe based on the financial situation one is in. Maybe the lady finally got a job but now she can't do it because she's pregnant. or she really needs that promotion for i don't know foreclosure.

Are these better reason than you want a child that can take care of you in old age? Remember, the girl will take care of her inlaws not you.
what. does. this. have. to do. with. selected abortion?!

it's in red. why am i still on here